Start by marking “The Saturday Evening Girls Club” as Want to Read:
The Saturday Evening Girls Club

The Saturday Evening Girls Club

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  4,329 Ratings  ·  384 Reviews
For four young immigrant women living in Boston’s North End in the early 1900s, escaping tradition doesn’t come easy. But at least they have one another and the Saturday Evening Girls Club, a social pottery-making group offering respite from their hectic home lives—and hope for a better future.

Ambitious Caprice dreams of opening her own hat shop, which clashes with the exp
Published April 25th 2017 by Lake Union Publishing

Cindy Roesel
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Four women forged a friendship that changed their lives one week at a time.
****
Let me start by writing while reading THE SATURDAY EVENING GIRLS CLUB, I kept hearing in my head, "nevertheless, she persisted." It's the battle cry for Women standing together today as part  the Women's March. We will not be silenced.
Escaping tradition and trying to become their own women in the 1900s doesn't come easy for four young immigrants living in Boston’s North End. In Jane Healey's debut novel, THE SATURDAY
Gem
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I didn't expect that this book would be the object of my love for the few days that I've read it. I loved Thea, Maria, Ada and especially Caprice! They are what we would call today as #squadgoals. :P I liked the storyflow and the characters. The style of writing didn't bore me, as well.

Will be writing a more thorough review soon!

Thank you to the publisher for giving me access to an ARC via Netgalley. :)
DeAnn
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a quick, easy, light-hearted read, perfect for my December book club meeting. I enjoyed that it was set in Boston, 1908. Interesting to read at the end that there are several other real "Evening Girls Clubs" -- not just Saturday. In some ways, so you could see how far women have come where in those days fathers expected them to marry, no life or career outside that. This one has a fun cast of strong female characters, but was pretty fluffy!
Linda Zagon
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank NetGalley, Lake Union Publishing, and Jane Healey for an ARC of "The Saturday Evening Girls Club" by Jane Healey for my honest review.
The genres of this book are General Fiction(Adult), and Women' Fiction. I also feel that this is Historical Fiction and Romance.
Kudos to Jane Healey who did the historical research about The Saturday Evening Girls Club, and other clubs in Boston North in the early 1900s.
The club offered young women, especially immigrants, the wonderful art
Patricia Sands
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Caprice, Maria, Ada, and Thea share a wonderful friendship as they grow up in the Jewish and Italian immigrant neighborhoods of north Boston. The setting is the turn of the 20th century when life is going through tremendous change. Living within families where their parents still adhere to the traditional ways of the “old country”, these four young women struggle with choices they must make for their dreams to become reality. Healy’s extensive research brings this era to life as the reader exper ...more
Linda Lpp
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well am going to see if I can get past all the first person frequent use of "I". Wish me luck Penni 🙄

Finished! Quite enjoyed the experiences of these first generation young immigrant women set in the early 1900's in Boston.
Friendships began when they were in their early teens and all attended the Saturday Evening Girls Club. They all faced challenges in regards to strict family expectations, pressures around arranged marriages, and who they could date especially not someone of a different relig
Shari
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book from start to finish. Set in the 1900s, the 4 girls connect through the Saturday Evening Girls Club regardless of their nationalities and traditional expectations that are placed on them by their families. Watching each girl navigate the world differently while still remaining close-knit with their friends was heartwarming. The girls are all so close and genuinely care about one another. Caprice is the glue that holds them all together and she often reminds the other girls of w ...more
Stephanie Probst
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quick read. Enjoyable. Would recommend to people. I loved the friendship of the girls. I loved the idea of a Saturday evening girls club.
Heidi
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from Kindle Scout and I am so glad that I read it and it was published. The only problem I had with this book was the ending left you hanging big time and I hope there is more to this story. Per the author's website though, she loved the ending and she doesn't plan on continuing this story. This is a huge disappointment to me.
The Saturday Evening Girl Club is based on some true facts about immigrants in the 1900's and it was nice that the author actually did research on thi
Ali (the bandar blog)
I made in 20% through. This book bored the crapola out of me, and I'm sick of reading a book that takes place in 1908 with a modern day dialect.
I'm sure it's possible it was going to get better (or maybe not), but only reading 50 pages in a week doesn't bode well.

I'm done. Life is too short.

DNF at 20%
Piper Huguley
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's going to be a sequel right?

A great story of warmth, love, and friendship. I need to make sure Maria and Ada are OK. Sequel please!
Victoria
I really enjoyed this book. It had a little bit of everything. History, romance, tough topics, feminism, and strong bonds. I loved the girls and how different they were, yet they all worked well together in the novel. The writer did a great job of really making the reader understand her characters and time period. Great writing and really interesting story!
Rachel - Chocolate and Chapters
Find reviews and other bookish talk at Chocolate and Chapters

Caprice is the daughter of Italian immigrants who dreams of opening her own hat shop. She attends the Saturday Evening Girls Club with three of her best friends, all of whom also come from immigrant families. As the four girls try to make their way and discover who they are in an ever-changing America, they find that the tradition of their families is difficult to escape. They navigate love, education, family, and dreams, all while at
Joann
I won this Kindle-eBook through a Goodreads Giveaway and by Amazon. Thanks so much as I found this book very enjoyable and it also increased my knowledge of life in the 1900's in Boston, especially for young women. I didn't know if this was based on anything true till I reached the end of the book and found out that indeed there was The Saturday Evening Girls Club and that the people in the book were real people! I was surprised and delighted. The novel follows four best friends, – Caprice, Ada, ...more
Beth
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Awesome! Amazing! Superb!

If you cannot tell I absolutely loved the four main "Girls" and this heartwarming tale of friendship, family, the struggle women faced between the old country ways to embracing many different new ways, and for Healey's bringing historical facts and giving historical women a voice and blending them so richly to a wonderfully crafted work of art. Jane Healey Will soon become one of my favorite historical fiction writers.

Thanks to NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for my
Julie Bakey
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Saturday Evening Girls Club blends real historical figures of early 20th century Boston with an engaging story of young women from immigrant families trying to find their place in the new world. The characters struggle with respecting the “old ways” of their immigrant parents, and pursuing opportunities of work, education and autonomy that were beginning to be available to women. This is the best book I’ve read this year!
Christina Gagliano
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
A charming and historically interesting look at life in Boston's North End--with glimpses into the society lives of the Storrows and Gardners--that will entertain and educate.
Emer Browne
Aug 30, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This 1 star is not for the book, it's for me for getting through it.
Rochelle Weinstein
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Healy is a remarkable writer who expertly captures the history of Boston's North End. Four friends joined together by their own individual struggles. The Saturday Evening Club is a wonderful and important read, especially in today's world.
Ellaine
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: light-read
This was the July book club pick which I purchased through Once Upon A Book Club.

Yet another fun and engaging read from Once Upon A Book Club! I do not work for them, but I sure wish I did. Being able to get paid to find book club books and choose little gifts and treasures that go with the story sounds like a dream job. I work at my local library in the Teen Department, so I'm not too heartbroken that I don't work for OUABC.

Anyway, on to this book review.

To get this over with The Saturday Eveni
Teresa
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
L
Melissa
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book about the beauty of female friendships. Thoroughly enjoyed.
Merrie
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Engaging enough that I read it in half a day. In some ways predictable and others surprising, it is an easy read. I particularly enjoyed the setting and the historical background. ...more
Billiejo
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved the girls and I loved the proverbs; they really were inspirational. As women we have dreams and we can achieve them even though it may not be easy! I really did want more at the end of it all 😑 and was sad for it to end.
Bonnie Eldridge-labaff
Book review

Good book. I'm always surprised when women were expected to be in an arranged marriage. Considering that these women were being raised in the United States, family traditions from the old country were still prevalent.
Carol
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Four young women in the 1920s whose parents were immigrants are the main characters of this novel. Two are Italian, and two are Jewish. They are good friends and attend the Saturday Evening Girls Club (SEG) every week. Not much is expected of young women except to marry the man of their parents' choosing, help their families, and little else. The parents do not understand wanting more--an education or a job.

But they are Americans and want to take advantage of what this country has to offer. With
Michelle
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this on the plane and by the pool and opened all my gifts by the pool. Great read with adorable gifts to go with the story.
Bonnie
Sep 30, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite writing style. Too much telling rather than showing, and the story felt like it was heavy on inconsequential details that didn't really further the plot.
Jane Healey shares a home north of Boston with her husband, two daughters, and two cats. When she’s not writing historical fiction, she enjoys running, reading, cooking and going to the beach.

For more information on the author, her work and upcoming events:

Website: www.janehealey.com.

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $6.99 $1.99
  • 223 Orchard Street
  • No One Is Coming to Save Us
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
“A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle. —Italian proverb I” 3 likes
“Count your nights by stars, not by shadows; count your life with smiles, not by tears. —Italian proverb In” 2 likes