Start by marking “Labor Day Hunt” as Want to Read:

Labor Day Hunt

Jared Rodgers needed cash and had to work, while the rest of his hometown got to kick back and enjoy Labor Day. After answering a job ad in the local paper, he is directed to an abandoned warehouse. An ominous feeling grips him as soon as he enters the boarded-up building. By the time he realizes what’s going on, the hunt has already begun.
Published August 30th 2016 by Amazon Digital Services LLC

Start your review of Labor Day Hunt
Dianne
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
How do you celebrate Labor Day? Jared couldn’t take time off, it was up to him to run the family store, but times are tough. When he answered an ad for a job located at an empty warehouse, little did he know the Silverfields Nightlight Society would be more than just a few elderly people sitting around swapping old stories. What he finds are the things that nightmares are made of and his only chance to survive is to shoot first, stake later. Will he get out alive, unscathed and unchanged?

Calvin
Liz
Sep 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, shorts, vampires
* I love the cover*
Just know that Jared finds himself in a really unfortunate situation and the ending was open ended, which I enjoyed…
I guess the moral of the story is- don’t respond to dodgy newspaper ads. Not for work, not for love, not for nothing.
Amy
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I live vampire stories and this was not your run of the mill vampire story. The author has written a completely orginal and fully developed idea! It was very creepy and dark and i loved every minute of it. It had a fantastic ending which for me is very hard to find in short stories.
Note: This book was provided to me in return for an honest review
Magda Żmijan
If only Jared didn't need the money he wouldn't have answered this damned advert promising fast cash on Labor Day. It was supposed to be a fast and easy job.

Nothing is fast and easy when you suddenly get thrown into a vampire fight.

Story's fast pacing was perfect for this story, I think It matched Jared's feelings since he was thrown into this horrid situation just as fast as you read about it. The idea was great and rather original, but I got kind of detached when the li
Darren Dilnott
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Entertaining short

Thoroughly enjoyable short vampire tale. A nice, easy jaunt that for me was a great page turner. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
S.J. Budd
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In this short tale Jared Rogers is already in trouble and has no idea of the downward spiral he's about to get himself into when he accepts the offer of two hundred dollars for just two hours work. That's a lot of money to anyone but to him it's a lifeline.

Orphaned when he was just twelve after his parents died in a car crash Jared was raised by his doting and loyal aunt and uncle, helping run their electrical hardware shop which is dying a slow death. After the tragic passing of his
K.J. Simmill
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's Labor day, the official holiday marking the end of summer. While most people are enjoying a restful day Jared answered an advertisement for a job. He was orphaned at a young age and raised by his aunt and uncle. After his uncle passed away it fell to him to run the small store, but ends meat would be a welcome change of fortune. The store cannot support them so he had to seek out other means. But he never imagined this. The advertisement led him to a man named Tim and straight into the hear ...more
Nadja (fit-and-beautiful-heart-reads)
Note: A copy of this short story was provided by the author for an honest review.

Jared who is desperate for money as he is afraid of telling his aunt who has adopted him they are losing their store takes a job on Labor Day that leads him to an abandoned warehouse.

Abandoned Warehouses are always creepy for a chicken like me so no wonder the hunt that Jared awaited was pure action for me.

Calvin managed to pack the information of a novel into a short story. It wa
Yolande Branch
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC from author, Calvin Demmer in exchange for an honest review.

Thinking it was going to be something simple, Jared did not expect the situation that he was faced with when he answered the ad trying to earn extra money!

Another nail-biting story which was over far too quickly! The storytelling was just as gory as "Hungry Ghosts" and just as intriguing. I think a lesson well learned in this story is be careful what you ask for...as you just don't know what you
Elke
This was a fast read, not only because it is a short story, but because of its fast pace and ongoing action. However, the in-depth introduction of the main character and the desperate circumstances leading to this fateful situation made it feel almost like a novel, though a very short one. I pitied our involuntary hero because of all he went through for his noble intentions, and in the end it was all for nothing. Thumps up for this entertaining and surprising story.

(I received a copy
TDCbookreviews
Oct 07, 2016 rated it liked it
 *RoseyCheeksReviews*
Honest Review

short story? COUNT ME IN! I ADORE SHORT STORIES. Something just so refreshing about them, i believe its me tricking my brain into realizing the story is going to end and i wont be left with the torture to wait a couple years for the next book!

Here's a little snip from the book that caught my attention.

Tim walked over to the bags. He opened one and took out a large lock and chain.

Well well well if that doesn't scream kinky than I'm not sure what does...

"Tim made his way to th
A. Hunt
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Labor Day Hunt
What do you do when you need money to care for your family? You accept any job you can get! Unfortunately for Jared, his latest job may be the one that does him in! Will this job suck the life out of him or will he be able to properly care for his beloved aunt?

I adore horror short stories; you all know this. But what I love more than anything is when someone finds me and shares some really good ones. Both of these were written well, and kept me reading- hungry f
Sunshine Somerville
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved that I had no idea where this story was going to end up. It starts out with the rather mundane life of a guy just trying to make money in his hometown. He answers an ad. Goes to the job. How interesting could this be, right?
But there IS a dark tone to the writing that hints at something coming. I loved the pacing – which is tricky in a story this short – and the twist. When you meet the villains, something is clearly off, but then the story slams the gas and the action takes off. By the
Sheilah
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Short stories are a good way to pass a few minutes. Whether out on lunch, or stuck in the waiting room, they help to pass the time and don't leave you lingering.

I've always been a fan of short stories ever since reading my mother's subscription of Story as a child. And my fan-ish ways continue.

Demmer is a good writer, he certainly has the writing gift and I believe he will do well as a writer as he continues down his chosen path.

Labor Day Hunt made me happy be
Nia Ireland
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the author for a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This story is about a down-and-out teenager dragged into a world he never knew existed. The author manages to build a connection between us and Jared, the main character, very easily so that when the hacking and the slashing started we were rooting for him.

This story was a lot more violent and gory than the first, with limbs falling off all over the place - so if you dig the Bla
M.R. Tapia
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Labor Day Hunt was a fun read. Very reminiscent of Neil Gaiman.
Washington
Comicsaurus
Oct 09, 2016
Anthony Ontiveros
Sep 23, 2016

• Find Me (Shatter Me, #4.5, #5.5)
  • Lullaby of Flames
  • Maggie's Man (Family Secrets, #1)
  • Dearest Clementine: Dark and Romantic Monstrous Tales
  • Torn (Selfish Myths, #2)
  • The Kennedy Boys Box Set (Books 4 - 7)
  • Marrow Charm (The Gate Cycle, #1)
  • Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2)
  • Reveal Me (Shatter Me #5.5)
  • The Guardian of Blackbird Inn
  • Darkling's Beasts and Brews: Poetry with a Drink on the Side
  • Dreams of Lake Drukka & Exhumation (Short Sharp Shocks! #31)
  • Night Warden (The Dark Dreamer Trilogy, #3)
  • The Call of Death
  • Escaping Grace (The Turning, #2)
  • The Grace Year
  • Sons of Fire
  • Blood and Salt (Blood and Salt, #1)
Calvin Demmer is the author of The Sea Was a Fair Master and The Town That Feared Dusk. When not writing, he is intrigued by that which goes bump in the night and the sciences of our universe.