Start by marking “Dive Into Inquiry: Amplify Learning and Empower Student Voice” as Want to Read:
Dive Into Inquiry: Amplify Learning and Empower Student Voice

Dive Into Inquiry: Amplify Learning and Empower Student Voice

Want to make learning more meaningful in your classroom? Looking to better prepare your students for the world of tomorrow? Keen to help learners create authentic connections to the world around them? Dive into Inquiry beautifully marries the voice and choice of inquiry with the structure and support required to optimise learning for students and get the results educators ...more
Published August 18th 2016 by Edtechteam Press

To ask other readers questions about Dive Into Inquiry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dive Into Inquiry

Start your review of Dive Into Inquiry: Amplify Learning and Empower Student Voice
Kris Patrick
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bonus star for section on collaborating with School Librarians.
Alex
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
I like some of the ideas in this, but I think this style of teaching would be best in High School. I don’t think it would work as well in the elementary setting.
Mrs Waring
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This practical book by Trevor MacKenzie gives tips and suggestions for how to turn your traditional classroom into an inquiry classroom. It is a short read geared towards implementing inquiry right now. As such, it is a good building block for teachers wanting concrete examples of student-centred pedagogies. I would have like more theoretical discussion (but I note that the book is nevertheless underpinned by general inquiry principles). Readers who need to demonstrate evidence for their ...more
Kris
May 18, 2018 added it
Very good book for an overview of an inquiry-based classroom. Not super helpful for inquiry as a basis for curriculum as a whole.
Victoria
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Favorite quote from the book: "In order to see results you have never seen, you will need to do things you've never done."
Trevor MacKenzie beautifully articulates the continuum of project-based/inquiry-based learning we have been promoting in Wisconsin for years. His approach is rooted in Understanding by Design. By defining "Types of Student Inquiry" MacKenzie demystifies the process and provides scaffolding for educators to introduce inquiry into their practice without giving up required
Naryn Searcy
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Dive Into Inquiry and found it useful, straightforward, and certainly relevant in light of current philosophical shifts towards a more student-centered classroom. I appreciated the four stages of inquiry that were clearly articulated (structured inquiry, controlled inquiry, guided inquiry, and free inquiry), and I also found the 4 pillars of inquiry to be a helpful framework. I found myself highlighting a lot of passages throughout the book. I was intrigued by the concept of ...more
Hannah Wales
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a great read for educators or future educators. My desire to be a teacher has been up in the air lately, but I really connected with this book the more that I read it. The author provides several classroom examples of what his students completed on their "dive into inquiry," which makes it an easier process for me - someone who has zero real-world teaching experience - to visualize. He explains things in a very abstract way that gives you lots of freedom to do your own thing, but with ...more
Niki
Nov 17, 2018 rated it liked it
My reading of Dive Into Inquiry devolved into skimming. While I believe the premise is excellent and appreciated the reminders of the pedagogy surrounding inquiry, I personally didn't find anything new or innovative in Mackenzie's text. I recognize that this was at least in part due to the high school (and maybe middle school) flavour of the book. As an elementary school teacher-librarian I can find some application, but overall it wasn't a meaningful text to me.

Of course, I did appreciate his
Amanda
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thought provoking. Not aimed at Primary School learners overall, but can be applied.
Loved the links within the Kindle edition that directed me to examples of student inquiry learning projects and classrooms.
Also intrigued to note and think about the differences between the IBL process outlined in this book and the PYP Inquiry Cycle. Simpler and more true to the way I myself wonder and learn new things. An energizing read.
Stephen Harrison
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: teaching
This book is mixed. The first half seems like MacKenzie is congratulating himself and celebrating his genius. As someone who has already bought into the idea of inquiry-based learning, this was annoying and slowed me down. But the second half got into the framework to apply it, which I found quite helpful. I will try to apply it in my classrooms. If you try the book, the second half is worth the slowness of the first.
Sonia Nasmith
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For the first time, I feel like I understand the Inquiry method and the benefits that come with it. This book is more geared towards senior high school students but everything was outlined and described so well that I feel like it could easily be adapted for intermediate elementary students. Like he says at the end, you don’t have to take it on all at once, you can make small changes as a start. I hope to do exactly that!
Steven Sutantro
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you want to bring your students' engagement to the next level, Dive into Inquiry is the book you all need. This book is a complete guide for teachers who want to transform their structured & rigid classroom into a free inquiry classroom where students have freedom to explore, research, & create authentic learning experiences that will surprise you. #DiveintoInquiry
Tammy
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book not only addresses the big ideas around inquiry, it ALSO tells you how to implement them. Trevor's voice is informal and conversational which makes this short book even easier to read. I can see this as 'must read' for middle school and high school teachers who are wanting to dip their toe into inquiry and personalizing learning for their students.
Alanna King
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think about the lessons in this book all the time. I love the diagrams, especially the swimming pool model. It helps me open discussions about using inquiry models for teaching when I'm talking with reluctant staff who are considering inquiry. I refer to it again and again. Canadian teacher/author Trevor Mackenzie is a national treasure.
Sparlingm
Jul 26, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was okay. I've read a lot of educational books for the Indiana Department of Education's online book blog for teachers. As I read more of these books, I'm becoming a harsher critic! This one was just so-so to me.
Laurie Guyon
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book offers a solid foundation on the how and why Inquiry works and is important for us as educators to use in our classroom. Through stories and links to videos you learn how to implement more student voice into your classroom. An awesome book for any educator.
Kate Ramsey
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book for the Indiana Department of Education book club and enjoyed it a lot. It made me think of inquiry within my classroom and think of ways I want to change the way learning takes place within the classroom.
jeffery Heil
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a perfect read for those who would like to see what inquiry learning can look like in a classroom. Trevor's experiences are well-documented and he gives the reader a nice roadmap to follow to implement inquiry learning in any classroom.
Patrick Green
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Trevor's "Types of Inquiry" model is an answer to teacher fears that inquiry is too messy and too out of control. The model provides a nice scaffolding so that students and teachers can build towards free inquiry.
Steve
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Great idea and set up to show how much work and time it takes.
Eric
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it
The upside of Professional Development, is that I inch closer to my lofty reading goal.
Miss Kelly
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Good for teachers who are new to inquiry.
Joan
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult
Some helpful case studies illustrate how students can formulate their own inquiry projects that have authentic learning.
Rich Mccue
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great resource for teachers beginning to teach using an inquiry methodology.
Jeanie Phillips
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Check out a podcast conversation about this book here: https://tiie.w3.uvm.edu/blog/vted-rea...

A concise and practical guide to using inquiry to increase student agency, engage youth voice and choice, and empower learners to lead their own learning.
Marika Gillis
Very easy, quick read about inquiry teaching and learning. I will be referring back to this book a lot in the months and years to come. A good resource for teachers to reinforce a basic understanding of inquiry.
David Miles
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Solid, articulate scaffolding of how to develop inquiry learning, principally from a HS perspective but applicable at many levels.
Keith Tramper
Sep 25, 2019
Erin
Jul 01, 2019
Pamela
May 20, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Innovator's Mindset: Empower Learning, Unleash Talent, and Lead a Culture of Creativity
  • Launch: Using Design Thinking to Boost Creativity and Bring Out the Maker in Every Student
  • Empower: What Happens When Student Own Their Learning
  • Learn Like a PIRATE: Empower Your Students to Collaborate, Lead, and Succeed
  • Teach Like a Pirate: Increase Student Engagement, Boost Your Creativity, and Transform Your Life as an Educator
  • The Eduprotocol Field Guide: 16 Student-Centered Lesson Frames for Infinite Learning Possibilities
  • Classroom Management for Art, Music, and PE Teachers
  • EDrenaline Rush: Game-changing Student Engagement Inspired by Theme Parks, Mud Runs, and Escape Rooms
  • What Do We Need Men For?: A Modest Proposal
  • 180 Days: Two Teachers and the Quest to Engage and Empower Adolescents
  • White Bird
  • Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain: Promoting Authentic Engagement and Rigor Among Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students
  • Look Both Ways: A Tale Told in Ten Blocks