Start by marking “Soul of the Camera, the: The Photographer's Place in Picture Making” as Want to Read:
Soul of the Camera, the: The Photographer's Place in Picture Making

Soul of the Camera, the: The Photographer's Place in Picture Making

The photograph can be an astonishing means of connecting and communicating with others. But with over one trillion photos taken each year, why are there so few successes? Why do so many fail? With advances in camera technology, it is not because the images lack focus or proper exposure; the camera does that so well these days. Photographer David duChemin believes the major ...more
Published August 18th 2017 by Rocky Nook

To ask other readers questions about Soul of the Camera, the, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soul of the Camera, the

Start your review of Soul of the Camera, the: The Photographer's Place in Picture Making
Bard Reian
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last book

Thank you, David du Chemin, for this book. I have read a large number of books on photography and I have enjoyed that. But I now realize that I don't have to read any more of these. Instead I will look at the notes I have made from this last book every now and then while creating pictures.
Bret Legg
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is more about mastering the photographer than mastering the photography gear. It's more about the focus of the photographer than the F-stop of the camera. If you're serious and passionate about photography, this book will challenge you and inspire you toward making greater, more impacting images.
Anya Smith
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s not the camera.

IF you’re looking for a different angle this is it. This book speaks to the notion that it’s the Photographer, and not the camera that makes photographs.
Mohammed Rasheen
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book set me off to a different direction than the one i was already on,.. gave me dozens of names to research and self-learn about how photographs works in certain field of art of photography,.highly recommended to anyone into the art of photography.
Arukiyomi
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Picked this up from a fellow photographer at a photography event one evening and, were it not for the fact that I need to get up at 5am for work, would have finished it in one sitting such is the power of DuChemin’s writing on photography. As it was, I finished it the next evening.

Whether you’re a professional or only use the camera on your phone, The Soul of the Camera is worth a read. For one thing, it’s beautifully illustrated with his own photographs and this guy can take them, h
Rajiv Chopra
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book. It is remarkable, in that David takes you right back to the essence of photography and image making.

It is a book to be read slowly. One chapter a day. No more. Then, you digest what he has written, look at the images and move on to the next chapter the next day.

While it is a short book in terms of text, it is a book that you need to think about, and this is why it is worth taking the time to read.

It is, ultimately, a book about ourselves, our lives and how we see the
Daniel Araújo
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
First photography book I've read that doens't explain ideal ISO settings, how to correct EV values or post-production best practices. It's all about how to think about photography, how to find your own perspective and photography as an art.

Great read - David is incredibly passionate about it and conveys that passion into his words. If you care at all about photography, you'll have a good time :)
John Waire
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've followed/consumed David's work for years...so this latest book is everything that I would have hoped for. His words always seem to hit home for me and make me want to continue to become the best version of myself...
Martin
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How to Make Photographs that are Art

There are many books about cameras and the craft of camera mastery. This is not one of them. This is not for the camera aficionado who is overly concerned with f stops, lenses and megapixels. There are plenty of other books about that. This is about creating meaningful photographs that speak for you and communicate a vision of the world to others. This is about learning to take risks in image-making instead of relying on tried and true rules of compositi
Violeta
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I took a lot of notes while reading this and found many of duChemin’s thoughts on craft, creativity, and discipline thought-provoking. I’m not sure I’m a passionate-enough or big-thinking-enough photographer to be his ideal audience (and my photographic genre is completely different than his), but I found this title worthwhile reading, even if not a perfect fit for me.
Kellie
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just what I needed

I appreciate this message so much. I’ve been a photographer all my life and this has been a refreshing reminder to take the photographs that matter to me. The advice is good, the voice is clear, and the example photography is completely inspiring.
Lori
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can never go wrong with a book by David. I will definitely go back to this book for inspiration in the future. David talks in layman's terms, gives us freedom as creators to explore our art and not get caught up in perfection. Thanks, David!
Joanna
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I cannot express how much I have been touched and inspired by this book. It hasn't just helped me photographically, but as.a human being.
Susan Bahen
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I could read this everyday.
Amir Hazwan
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well, I enjoyed that.
Eileen
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and will keep it on my shelf. I can see myself turning toward it for inspiration and encouragement in the future. Beautiful images and text.
Wayne
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
David duChemin is a very good photographer but he might just be a better writer. He is an excellent communicator whether in photographs or the written word. This book is highly recommended.
Kim
Alex
Jul 07, 2019
Margaret
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it slow...take it in. This book is not just about photography, but it will improve your craft.
Filipe Carvalho
Mark Bannister
Sep 20, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Street Photography: Creative Vision Behind the Lens
  • Bryan Peterson's Understanding Composition Field Guide: How to See and Photograph Images with Impact
  • Slightly Out of Focus
  • First Light
  • On This Earth, A Shadow Falls
  • Across the Ravaged Land
  • Miles from Nowhere
  • Amazing Stories: Giant 35th Anniversary Issue: Best of Amazing Stories - Authorized Edition (Amazing Stories Classics)
  • Sport Riding Techniques: How to Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Track
David duChemin is a world & humanitarian photographer, best-selling author, and international workshop leader.
“In a bigger way, submission is not just going with the flow; it’s what allows us to experience flow in the first place. Flow is a state of being that is possible when the challenge of what we do and the skill level with which we do it are high and equal to each other. Flow doesn’t happen when the challenge is vastly too much for our skill: that’s struggle. Nor does it happen when our skill or craft is vastly more capable than our vision demands. That leads to repetition and boredom, as we have likely plateaued. Flow happens when our vision demands the fullness of our craft and pulls us into a state of extreme and almost unconscious focus.” 0 likes