Start by marking “How to Stage a Catastrophe” as Want to Read:

How to Stage a Catastrophe

Sidney plans to be the director of the Juicebox Theater when he grows up. For now, he handles the props, his best friend Folly works the concession stand, and his sister May hangs out in the spotlight. But the theater is in danger of closing, and the kids know they need a plan to save it and fast. When they join a local commerce club to earn money, Sid and Folly uncover so ...more
Published April 1st 2017 by Capstone Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about How to Stage a Catastrophe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Stage a Catastrophe

Sandra
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Delicious characters stage a catastrophe in order to save their community theater. Entertaining story, with some twists and lots of info about theaters, actors, and stages. It is funny, sweet, and even touching. I am glad I read this book.

I received a copy from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Sara
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This FAIRGOER #3 (Charlotte's Web) and behind-the-scenes gal loved this theater book. Lighthearted with a touch of sadness, HOW TO STAGE A CATASTROPHE is a fun read that had me laughing out loud several times. At one point, I actually gasped and said, "Oh no!" Not only is this a fantastic book for theater kids (and theater grown-ups), kids who aren't as familiar will learn the ins and outs of the stage. Memorable, funny characters and amusing scenes, and lots of little nuggets of wisdom.
Patricia
Such a fun read! Hilarious and heart-warming, Sidney and company's quest to save the Juicebox Theater is a joy to read. The characters are fantastic - smart and funny and kind - but full of wild ideas just the same. Great for theater lovers, theater wanna-be's, and anyone who loves a good play (and a few chase scenes!), Donnelly's story will keep you reading and laughing and longing for the next performance. The creative design and chapter structure is just an added treat.
Alexandra Ott
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
HOW TO STAGE A CATASTROPHE is cute, funny, and heartwarming. It's one of the most unique MG books I've read in awhile, with an unforgettable cast of characters and a whole lot of charm. Definitely recommend for anyone looking for a MG contemporary with plenty of humor and heart.
Hannah
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, netgalley
Unfortunately, I was unable to finish reading my copy of this book. I had a digital file and was only able to read it in a specific app on my computer. My computer, however, is fairly old, and decided that I no longer had any need to open that app. That was a few months ago, and still I do not have access to the aforementioned app.
I was able to read about 30 - 50 pages of the book before my computer wonked out on me. From what I was able to read, I loved the book!
The main character amused me, an
Casey Lyall
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"To read or not to read...is not even a question when it comes to How to Stage a Catastrophe. Enjoy your front row seat as Sidney Camazzola and his quirky cast put on the show of a lifetime. Funny and sweet - this Catastrophe's a hit! I loved the behind the scenes look at community theatre and the great relationships between the characters. Sid and his best friend Folly are a great team and I'd love to see more from this hilarious gang!
Linda Williams Jackson
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
This book is so cleverly written. Not only will kids learn about theater, but they will also learn a few business skills along the way. Not to say that the book sets out to "teach." That just happens to be a side benefit to a fun story. I love this book, and I highly recommend that teachers have it in their classrooms. Kids will love it.
Greg
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
For a kids book read for work, fun!
Danielle
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade-ya
The denouement was an absolute riot!
Caitlin Christensen
Apr 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
What a fun little book! The narration is witty and the staging dynamic in this adorable Middle Grade read that’s set up like a play. Perfect for budding theater-geeks who want to learn more about the innerworkings of theater while also enjoying a hilarious tale of friendship and ingenuity. The cast is witty (Folly was by far my favorite) and their plan to save their local theater is just so adorable.

I definitely loved being able to follow along with their antics and revel in their mission, and
Karina
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a sweet MG book about kids trying to save the Juicebox Theater. I'm not surprised it was chosen by the ABA as an Indie's Introduce pick, because the writing was relatable, engaging, and fun. It completely entranced my 9yo daughter (who read it three times).
American Mensa
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Theater is life to a sixth grade boy named Sidney. So when his kid-friendly theater is closing down, what does he do? With his business geared friend, crazy ideas, and the motivation to do almost anything, Sidney will go through difficult trials in hope to win his theater back.

I think it was really creative that the author used acts and scenes instead of chapters and sections. The reasons why it was not five stars is because the name of the theater, The Juicebox, kind of threw me off as somethin
Chris
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Christopher Tucker
12/28/17
How to Stage a Catastrophe
I enjoyed the book a bunch. It reminded me of how I built my new trampoline board invention. I would rate this book a 4-1/2 star because some parts were boring. I would recommend this book to 9 year old's and up. I thought of the main character was me and how I face challenges.
Cindy
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great! Unique! I love how the narrator speaks directly to the reader. Lots of fun!
Abigail
May 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Um no. I really disliked this book. It wasn't nearly as engaging as a book about children & theatre should be.
Kate B
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
It has a great title
Thanks to Kick-butt Kidlit for a free copy of How to Stage a Catastrophe!

This book is absolutely adorable and hilarious. Filled with plenty of theatre moments and larger-than-life characters, this is a book I wish I could send back in time to my past self (a.k.a., the mirror in a library production of Snow White). There's plenty of business stuff in here, and it's unexpectedly funny -- I think for both adults and kids alike. And I think my favourite part is how the book is written. It's like equ
C. L.
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A sweet, light-hearted story about theater and friendship. The main character is lackluster, but the side characters are memorable enough to make up for it. Even if the book never quite achieves the slapstick comedic heights it aspires to, it's still a fun read. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. Recommended.
Jemima Pett
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Off-beat is what attracted me to it, and I was delighted with the result. This cranky and highly enjoyable book features the most delightful drawings and sketches in between the scenes, which are laid out in three Acts, with a play within the play towards the end. It sounds confusing, but you soon get into the quirkiness of it all. Sid, who is the would-be director and narrator, is an engaging character with plenty of faults, and a knack for seeing the worst in his sisters, and forgiving his fri ...more
Andréa
Note: I received a digital review copy of this book through NetGalley.
Kristy
Emmaj
Jul 14, 2017
Amanda Hosch
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Imaginative, heartwarming, and laugh-out-loud silly! HOW TO STAGE A CATASTROPHE tells the story of Sidney and company's madcap plans to save the Juicebox Theater. Wild ideas aside (and they are wacky ones!), the story structure and friendship make this a fun middle grade read. Highly recommended.
Heidi
Billie
Jul 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • A Rambler Steals Home
  • Howard Wallace, P.I. (Howard Wallace, P.I., #1)
  • Family Game Night and Other Catastrophes
  • Shirley Link & The Black Cat (Shirley Link, #4)
  • Vilonia Beebe Takes Charge
  • The Last Great Adventure of the PB&J Society
  • Frankie Dupont and The Lemon Festival Fiasco (Frankie Dupont Mysteries #2)
  • Peasprout Chen, Future Legend of Skate and Sword
  • Fizz & Peppers at the Bottom of the World
  • Kat Greene Comes Clean
  • Karmack
  • The North Pole Challenge (Flea's Five Christmases, #1)
  • Lou Lou and Pea and the Mural Mystery
  • Karma Khullar's Mustache
  • The Secrets of Blueberries, Brothers, Moose & Me
  • The Princelings of the East - The Trilogy
  • Brooke's Not-So-Perfect Plan (Confidentially Yours, #1)
  • Far from Fair