Start by marking “Whiskey, Vamps, and Thieves (Southern Vampire Detective #1)” as Want to Read:
Whiskey, Vamps, and Thieves (Southern Vampire Detective #1)

Whiskey, Vamps, and Thieves (Southern Vampire Detective Series #1)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  689 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
Meet Scarlett Smith, Southern Vampire Detective…

Well, at least that's what she is today. Not too long ago she was just a regular Southern Belle in love with her soldier, dreaming of a life full of babies and white picket fences.

Then she died.

Now she's a vampire in a shifter's world trying to make sense of her sudden thirst for blood and her strange ability to read the e
Published August 30th 2016 by Selene Charles Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Whiskey, Vamps, and Thieves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whiskey, Vamps, and Thieves

C. Erani Kole
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Okay this is the third time I've read something of this author's and completely missed the fact that this is a spin-off of a spin-off of a series I fell in love with (and have yet to finish, so really that's probably why I'm always so shocked... sigh) but OMG this thing was so intense.

Totally dug it the first few pages, and I too loved the Scottish brogue that a certain were was sporting. I didn't know who to choose throughout this thing, and though the answer seems obvious, at the same time, th
Deena
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
So many things wrong with this... although at 99% those of us who didn't already know it can learn that this is apparently a second series with some over-lapping characters, which might have alleviated the completely crap world-building and utter lack of explanations in this book. But the bad news is that I don't care enough to back-track and try to figure out the myriad things that are hinted at but never explained.

Much of the reason I don't care is the author's style. Apparently the word "vis
Whitney (Shooting Stars Reviews)
Reviewed by Whitney@Shooting Stars Reviews

Scarlett is a vampire detective living with a pack of werewolves. She's always secretly been in love with her "brother" who doesn't seem to notice her in that way, and she's always been grudgingly accepted among the pack. But, when things start to get crazy in the human world and people start dying she's going to help out and see what's going on. However, her old flame has come back, and her brother is acting strange and out of sorts. Then you add in the
Gwen
If there ever was a guy that needed to pull his head out of his backside it's this one, Mercer.

Get a grip man, Scarlett's a great girl, Yes she has issues, seems slightly psychotic, whiney and loves you for some unknown reason, Oh yes is also possessed by some sort of insane god, I think. What's not to love??
I don't want to give the story away, but it a great read with a nice twist on the usual vamp/shifter genre and I will definitely be reading the next book. And for once no shortage of hot g
Coco.V
Mar 14, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebies
💝 FREE on Amazon today (3/14/2018)!💝
Alexandra
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is one dark and messed-up (in all the best ways!) urban fantasy story! A kick ass heroine that had me in her corner from page one (well, right up until the end but I won't talk about that because I don't want to spoiler and you have to decide for yourself), she gets so much crap dished out by fate, by the powers to be, by her friends and family, that it amazes me how she can handle it. She breaks down but she always always stands up again. I adore her for this. The men in her life? Eye-cand ...more
Stephanie
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Omg! This book was so freakishly amazing! I absolutely adored it! The characters were awesome, the story was THE BEST, and I am feigning for me! I cannot wait to read book 2 and am going to be going slightly crazy until I get it! Great book! I highly recommend it!
Rosemary Desris
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow

Just wow . I don't fully understand if another story will follow this one or not . I hope so . This one was great . Don't miss it .
Candace
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book because I just liked the title reminded me of a Cher song and so glad I tried it. I like this writer and this story and look forward to reading more with these characters.
Hannah
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Needs work

The book overall was interesting enough to finish but I felt like it needed work. There could have been more detail to character development other than the filler it felt like. Did she have an editor? Throughout the book were mistakes in parts of overlapping stories that did not make sense as if they were jumbled together and minor details were replaced as if the original subjects or thought were forgotten in her notes. Such as the bogeyman's little girls name is Emma and later she is
Leah Ford
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I found this book in my “to read” section and I hadn’t paid for it? Therefore not sure if this actually a free read or if this was an advanced copy for a voluntary and honest review. Either way…..... I enjoyed this book.

There are vampires and wolves as well as other paranormal creatures. It was a little repetitive in some places but what I enjoyed the most was that the author was all about the story and not just the love interest.

The story is quite fast paced and is not too predictable, well,
Sue Lyssa Stone Shaffer
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A good kind of different

Often genre novels are formulated along specific lines. Whiskey, Vamps, and Thieves steps far outside the lines. Dancing in both agony and delight Selene Charles' Scarlett, Mercer, and James take us on a journey exploring someplace new. A journey that deserves to be taken.

I expected an soft core police procedural in an urban fantasy landscape. I did not expect what I found. Personal experiences tell me that there are hard and good truths nested in the lines. This book is
Victoria Johnston
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Twists, Turns, and Travesty! Oh My!

It took me a little bit to get into this book. I didn’t feel a real connection to the characters at first. However, as it goes on it gets more interesting. Without too many spoilers, we have a cast of our heroine, the three (3? Really? I have trouble keeping track of the one I have and keeping him out of trouble!) hot guys who she has some feelings for—but no one can act on those feelings—two skinwalkers causing havoc, a couple of demons, vampires, werewolves,
M.L.
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Started out well, but toward the middle became confusing and rather trite (a Scottish shifter?). Also around the midway point, the editing started to go downhill with many missed errors. It was almost as if two people--one penning the first third, another for the final section--wrote the book. With too much left unexplained (and not because of a cliffhanger, just plot twists) I won't be reading the rest of the series.
°мαggιє°  (っ⚈ᴥ⚈)っ™
Never was a fan of love triangles. Added with the lack of explanation for Mercer's undying love for Scarlett and Scarlett's unfounded obsession with Mercer, I don't think I want to continue reading this. I like SLOW burns, where we see the mc's meet for the first time and build from there. This seems like she started in the middle, where they already know each other and there's just alot of angst. Not a fan of this style.
C.J.
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This series certainly has great potential but I still can't decide how much I enjoyed it. The characters were interesting and complex, yet I don't feel particularly attached to any of them other than Mercer. There are a lot of unanswered questions and I'm sure it will turn into a brilliant overall plot but not being completely on board with the characters doesn't motivate me to read it. I'll give the next book a read and hope for the best.
Stacy Spoonster
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Whiskey, Vamps and Thieves

This is a great start to a series. The characters and world are interesting and enjoyable. There were great twists throughout the book and I really liked the way the characters interacted. The only thing I found frustrating is that in the end, there were more questions than answers. The base story was wrapped up but there was so much that went unexplained. I did really enjoy the story and will continue with the series.
Diane Werning
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Whiskey,Vamps,and Thieves

This is one very intense book.Who knew vampires were so complicated.And the werewolves in this book were nothing like werewolves in other books.You also have some viscous demons and whatever else was falling from the skies.This book will keep you hooked on it till you are done reading it.
Shannon Risdon
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well, a ride and a half

This was so not what I was expecting. Vampire and werewolf living in a pack situation, unrequited love, forbidden love, betrayal....with action, adventure, monsters, demons and a whole lot more. Couldn't put it down...not a good thing when you have jobs to do!!
Gypsie Holley
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: feb-18
I was looking to find a new series with some depth and surprise. I believe I may have found that in this book. Besides the title and the cover, which drew me in, this evolved into "I need more." very quickly and was happy to find a novelette and two more already out in the series. Yep, already purchased and anxiously awaits my reading...
Angela James
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Scar

Interesting and unexpected. Lots of thrilling mystery and suspense in this one along with the push and pull of forbidden love. Poor Merc... Definitely ready to see how things shape up in book two.
Arlene
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow

intense binding so many people in a tangled web. Finding the ends will bring emotional turmoil and pain.
What Scarlett and Mercer are going through is killing them both slowly.. how will it end?
Tonya Johansson
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I have more questions then answers now. Nothing in this book came to any conclusion. Even though it was well written. Pour Scarlett went through hell minute after minute. And she really didn't accomplish anything other than killing the thing. I ended this book feeling frustrated.
Cally Walker
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A rocking story

That will make you crazy for the rest of the series. The plot and characters are carefully drawn out. What is Scarlett if not just a vampire?
Deb Smith
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great story

Good story. Confusing as to who is what. Feel the unfinished story is a little frustrating. Looking forward to the sequel.
Beth
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kobo
I could do without the forced love triangle bits. While Dean is a complete asshat I am curious to understand what the end game is.
Hannah Dodder
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing!

Wonderful book! Great characters and an even better plot line. Super unique and attention grabbing. Can’t wait to start the next one.
BookNerdette
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
enjoyed this read even though at times it was very explanitive. but didn't care for the ending.
Irene
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good but not great

This could have been so much better, but Scarlett is more like a 14 year old emotionally, and a pretty poor detective too
Rstocks
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: following-series
Very entertaining. Has potential if the only the female protagonist would gain some confidence and stop letting others run her life. Time to put on her big girl panties and stop whining. She will never be tough as long as she constantly hides behind and/or leans on others.

Southern Vampire Detective Series (3 books)
  • Fae Bridge Over Troubled Waters (Southern Vampire Detective #1.5)
  • Me and You and a Ghost Named Boo (Southern Vampire Detective #2)

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hearts at Seaside (Sweet with Heat: Seaside Summers #3)
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Room Mate (Roommates, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Forgiving Hour
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Bright Side (Bright Side, #1)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Chasing I Do (The Eastons #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • That Month in Tuscany
    $6.99 $2.49
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Ghosted
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Billionaire's Final Stand (Billionaire Bachelors, #7)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blackmailing the Billionaire (Billionaire Bachelors, #5)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire Falls (Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Runaway Heiress (Billionaire Bachelors, #6)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Treading Water (Treading Water, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Life Next Door (Love Not Included Book 3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Undeniable Love (Journey Of Love Book 2)
  • Bittersweet
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mr. Perfect (Mister, #1)
  • Made for You
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Journey Home
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgettable Love (Journey of Love Book 3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Dear Aaron
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Gawd, I’d always been a sucker in life or death for European men. Especially of the Gaelic variety. Give me an Irishman or Scot in a kilt and I was lost. I” 0 likes
“Gossiping hens had nothing on ghosts. I didn’t know how they did it, but considering ghosts couldn’t eat, couldn’t have sex, drink, do drugs, or any other things for enjoyment, all they had was gossip. They were like the information superhighway, except dead and vaguely spooky.” 0 likes