Start by marking “Richard Scarry's Great Big Schoolhouse” as Want to Read:
Richard Scarry's Great Big Schoolhouse

Richard Scarry's Great Big Schoolhouse

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  203 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Great Big Schoolhouse is lovingly remembered by generations of American children whose first day at school was undoubtedly made easier by Scarry’s warm, friendly, and comforting classroom. Huckle’s life changes forever as he joins his classmates on the school bus; meets Miss Honey, his sympathetic teacher; and learns the alphabet, new vocabulary, numbers, the days of the w ...more
Published August 5th 2008 by Sterling (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Richard Scarry's Great Big Schoolhouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Richard Scarry's Great Big Schoolhouse

Hope L. Justice
Wow this book has so much to offer. The only reason I did not give it five stars, is because of it's length! This might be a book for early readers, but it's so busy, I have a hard time following the narrative because I am distracted, and I am an adult. I know Richard Scarry is one of those classic authors, but this book is way too long, and trying way too hard. I would have been happy with ONE school house lesson, like "Getting ready for school", "schoolhouse numbers", etc. ; break it up!
Kathryn Sublett
This book would be great to segment for the first week of school. Students could use part of the book as an introduction on time for math. This would help students think about important times in the school day and their relation to time on a clock. This would be useful in first or second grade depending on the depth of time expressed.
Ronda
Dec 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I checked this book out over and over again in elementary school. Not too long agbo, my sister got a copy for me and I was reintroduced to one of my favorite characters--Lowly Worm--and one of my favorite lines and illustrations: "Lowly worm eats peas. Peas are round in shape." Makes me smile every time I read this book.
Guen
Sep 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: library, preschool, school
"Why do I have to go to school?" asked Huckle.
"All children go to school to learn how to read and write," said his mother.

Huckle's mother is just not being honest here, or she doesn't know any better, but all children definitely do not go to school.
Wendy Daniel
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lis-4700
Vocabulary, vocabulary, vocabulary is what Richard Scarry books are all about. Teaching kids words for objects is also a great form of print awareness. Kids ages 1 - 3 will love being able to identify all of the items in the schoolhouse.
Qeona Greer
Nov 27, 2015 added it
Shelves: abc-books
A warm and inviting book about the first day of school and the many new things that children about to learn. This is a great book to read to students before their first big day of school to ease any worries or "first day jitters" they might have.
King Ævil
May 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great Big Schoolhouse is an all-purpose first-principles book teaching numbers, letters, colors and other things in a "Look how much fun we have at school!" setting. Without a single computer, the classroom looks hopelessly antique, but this book is still a great early reader.
Alexis Dowdell
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: abc-book
This is a great book to share with kids because it discusses all of the different subjexts that are being taught in shcool.
Jenni
Read this in swedish. The title is: Vad gör dom i skolan?
Robin
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Love it but the Joe/Willie character's name change confuses me still.
Charlee Jackson
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
i liked it because it had nice pictures.
and that it labeled all the cars,rivers etc.
and it had different scenes.
i liked that it had animals for people.
and that the animals were different sizes.
Anna
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • First 100 Animals
  • Living Sunlight: How Plants Bring The Earth To Life
  • Oh, What A Busy Day!
  • Trouble on Planet Earth (Choose Your Own Adventure, #29)
  • The Happy Lion
  • Tom Thumb
  • Spot's First Christmas
  • Mr. Putter  Tabby Clear the Decks
  • It's Pumpkin Day, Mouse!
  • The Mud Pony
  • Tallulah's Tutu
  • A Time to Keep
  • One Snowy Night
  • Open the Barn Door
  • You Can't Take a Balloon into the Metropolitan Museum
  • The Cow That Laid an Egg
  • Mouse's First Spring
  • Happy Valentine's Day, Little Critter! (Mercer Mayer's Little Critter)
RICHARD SCARRY is one of the world's best-loved children's authors EVER! In his extraordinary career, Scarry illustrated over 150 books, many of which have never been out of print. His books have sold over 100 million copies around the world, and are currently published in over twenty languages. No other illustrator has shown such a lively interest in the words and concepts of early childhood. Ric ...more
More about Richard Scarry