Start by marking “The Mother-Daughter Book Club: How Ten Busy Mothers and Daughters Came Together to Talk, Laugh and Learn Through Their Love of Reading” as Want to Read:

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  76 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Combining the practical with the personal, The Mother-Daughter Book Club tells the story of 10 mothers and their preteen daughters and how their relationships were enriched through a monthly reading club. With step-by-step guidelines, stories, anecdotes, reading lists, sample themes and related activities, it offers practical instructions for starting a book club while enc ...more
Published March 28th 1997 by HarperPB (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Mother-Daughter Book Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mother-Daughter Book Club

Marian
Nov 26, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I bet you're thinking this book was a little premature. My daughter is only two. I'm funny that way.

Honestly, I skimmed most of this book. I mean really, 274 pages to explain the inner workings of a book club. Ugh. Not to mention the format of the book was really confusing. Expert testimonies of the benefit of reading would interrupt the chapters, only for them to pick back up a page or two later practically mid-sentance.

What I did like--lists of favorite childhood books from famous authors and
Dec 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I chose this book a while ago because I was beginning book clubs and because I had some parents who wanted to connect with their kids by reading together.

I like the book, I really do, but I also have some issues with it. First off, I think it needs to be updated. It was written in the 90s and such a valuable resource ought to be updated. Secondly, the author and her book club reside in Washington, DC. They have resources that the rest of the country do not have. My goodness! They even had author
Melissa
I think I would have more of an opinion about this book if I had children. As it is, i think it's a really good jumping off point for parents who are interested in starting a book group for middle grades/teens. Dodson has plenty of good ideas and many, many different books are named throughout as recommended by parents, educators, and writers. Dodson has 15 titles listed in the back with examples of activities and questions.

What I don't like about this book is the layout. There are little testim
Lori
I loved the idea of this book. I have two girls myself and plan to start a mother-daughter book club in my area when they are a bit older. I will hold on to this book for the ideas and book lists. However, I had to give it three stars because of a few issues. I hated the layout of it - it was annoying to have to skip ahead three pages to finish reading a paragraph, then backtrack to read what I skipped, which sometimes didn't even flow with the subject matter. Most of the books mentioned revolve ...more
Jackie
May 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Some great, common-sense ideas for starting a Mother-Daughter Book Club, especially someone who has no clue where to begin. The book suggestions/reading material is a tiny bit dated, but overall the message and benefits are well-thought out and timely.

Used as reference for "Tweens Mother-Daughter Book Club" Discussion Group initial kick-off meeting- August, 2010 at BPL.
Victoria
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gift from my daughter, who when she reads it will probably be relieved that she was spared having to grow up with her mom in a book club with her. Difficult to read because of the layout of the book but full of valuable insight that can be used at any age. Plus dozens of books lists. I love book lists! I've already recommended it.
Julie Williams
May 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the book I bought to help me begin a mother/daughter book club of my own. So the moms and girls of my Girl Scout Troop meet once a month and read books that challenge the girls and interest the moms. I love Shireen's other book "100 Books for Girls to Grow On" it has great suggestions and ideas for crafts and questions.
Glenette
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Good information if the reader is interested in organizing a mother-daughter book club.
Adrienne
Sep 03, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Best thing I got from this book was inspiration to connect with my daughter through our common love of reading. The very long list of book recommendations that I gleaned would be second.
Feb 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read this one word for word or anything, but it was alright. And now I am desirous to start or be a part of a mother-daughter book club when my daughter is of age. 8ish to 14ish, I guess.
Kim
May 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it encouraged me to do this with my girls, even though they are much older and live far away. Some are not readers, some are.
mia
Aug 22, 2007 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I am thinking about initiating a group like this at my library. (where i work! woot!)
Kathleen
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice tribute to the mother-daughter book clubs Dodson shared with each of her daughters, but the "meat" of the book could be reduced to a short article.
Judith
Jun 23, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Found at the thrift store, and since our book club members are always looking for ideas, I thought I couldn't go wrong for 25 cents. :) We shall see.
Becky
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read2014
This book is awesome! I want to do this, I really do. Now I just need to see if my daughters want to do this, too.
Gabrielle
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Truly awesome!
Wish I had read this a long time ago.
Bookworm
Feb 20, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reading, daughters, mother
It was not what I expected--I thought it was a bonding experience type of memoir, instead of a rather convoluted memoir/lists/how-to.

Glad to see they seemed to make it work.
Laura Battle
Great ideas but it got a bit redundant.
Jenny
Read in 2002. I never did start the book club for girls.
Jocelyn
Interesting way of getting mothers - daughters to bond. & lots of ideas on what books to recommend for young adults to read.
Lisa
Charmaine
rated it it was ok
May 13, 2011
Pam Anderson
rated it did not like it
Apr 18, 2013
Kkc
Apr 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Raising Bookworms: Getting Kids Reading for Pleasure and Empowerment
  • Her Next Chapter: How Mother-Daughter Book Clubs Can Help Girls Navigate Malicious Media, Risky Relationships, Girl Gossip, and So Much More
  • Great Books for Girls: More Than 600 Books to Inspire Today's Girls and Tomorrow's Women
  • The Essential Guide to Children's Books and Their Creators
  • Book Crush: For Kids and Teens -Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Interest
  • Classics to Read Aloud to Your Children: Selections from Shakespeare, Twain, Dickens, O.Henry, London, Longfellow, Irving Aesop, Homer, Cervantes, Hawthorne, and More
  • What to Read When: The Books and Stories to Read with Your Child--and All the Best Times to Read Them
  • A Family of Readers: The Book Lover's Guide to Children's and Young Adult Literature
  • 101 Ways to Help Your Daughter Love Her Body
  • How to Get Your Child to Love Reading
  • From Cover to Cover: Evaluating and Reviewing Children's Books
  • Book Smart: Your Essential Reading List for Becoming a Literary Genius in 365 Days
  • Reading Magic: Why Reading Aloud to Our Children Will Change Their Lives Forever
  • Books to Build On: A Grade-By-Grade Resource Guide for Parents and Teachers
  • The Read-Aloud Handbook
  • Connection Parenting: Parenting Through Connection Instead of Coercion, Through Love Instead of Fear
  • Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction
  • Books That Build Character: A Guide to Teaching Your Child Moral Values Through Stories

“...I do write books that are female oriented. In my books, the female characters are always searching for something and they often find it, and what they find is themselves and their own strength. I want girls to understand there has been a long history of strong women... Women have always been oppressed but managed to see their own way, and there is a long tradition of females doing what they want to do, and that's what girls can do. They can have selves of their own, a definition of themselves.'" ~Virginia Hamilton in Shireen Dodson's the Mother-Daughter Book Club” 0 likes
“Books are a great equalizer. You may not have the money to travel the world, but with a library card as your passport your horizons for exploration and self-discovery are unlimited.” 0 likes