Start by marking “The Naked Swiss: A Nation Behind 10 Myths” as Want to Read:
The Naked Swiss: A Nation Behind 10 Myths

The Naked Swiss: A Nation Behind 10 Myths

Cross-cultural journalist Clare O'Dea goes in search of the truth behind the clichés that clothe modern Switzerland. Did the Swiss really help the Nazis? Are Swiss women living a charmed existence or are they stuck in the past? Are the Swiss crooked bankers? How can you be neutral if you own more guns than almost any other country? And how did these people get so rich?
Thes
Published October 3rd 2016 by Schwabe AG, Bergli Books

To ask other readers questions about The Naked Swiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Naked Swiss

Steven
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting overall, though not as in-depth as I would've liked. I think what was lacking were some additional interviews/stories from the 'man in the street.' It's all well and good to have politicians and bankers interviewed for how they perceive some of these myths, but they're obviously biased. The book often mentions some of the intolerance, but there are no personal anecdotes which correlate with the attitudes of those Swiss who vote for such intolerant propositions.

I also felt the book co
idil  ozdemir
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
I thought I knew "enough" about Switzerland until I read this book! However, I was very surprised about the sexism chapter in particular. Overall, Clare O 'dea presents the facts about Switzerland in such a fun and interesting way. In this book, there is a surprising story or a fact for everyone, even for the Swiss:)
Juan Mari
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una visión distinta de un país

Es un libro ameno y muestra aspectos de la vida, organización y mitos y falsos mitos del mismo. Permite conocer la filosofía detrás de la neutralidad política externa del mismo.
Taisia
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
As I am living in Switzerland, it was a first way to learn about their way of thinking. But after 2 years here, I find that not everything in this book was true!
Niall
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful, insightful, thoroughly-researched and engagingly-written examination of Switzerland an its people by Clare O'Dea, an Irish journalist who has lived there for more than a decade.

I knew next to little about Switzerland before reading the book, beyond the usual stereotypes (chocolate, Swiss banks, Nazi gold, somewhat dull people). But this is a fascinating look at a country that most people tend to overlook, and you can learn a lot from it.

Switzerland occupies a curious position in Eur
Judith
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly entertaining and enlightening read about Switzerland and the Swiss people which clarifies many of the myths surrounding the country and its people, including that they are rich; they are neutral and that they are boring.

Clare O'Dea does an excellent job of presenting the facts behind these myths and her writing style is informative without being dry. I learnt so much about the Swiss that no longer will I solely think of cuckoo clocks, chocolate and banks when I think of the country
Sarahmf
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Naked Swiss by Clare O'Dea is a really fantastic book -well-researched, informed, entertaining and engaging. It manages to strike an elusive balance, one that many non-fiction writers find so difficult. It's rich with information but also has a lightness of touch which makes it a pleasure to read. It addresses controversy without being gratuitous or sensationalist. It casts an objective and evidence-based eye on its target subject, but also reveals a real affection for and pride in Switzerla ...more
Mirjam
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
I thought this was informed, balanced and insighful. I liked especially the chapters about Sexism and Democracy. They certainly provided me with some points for thought and it was a very interesting concept to be reading about my own country from a "Wahlschweizer" perspective. I would have liked to see more references to the data used, but I do see how it might have been too disruptive to the reading experience.
Jessica
Marius Schuetz
Mar 09, 2017
Kristina
Apr 14, 2018
Originally from Dublin, Ireland, Clare's career as a journalist spans two decades and three countries. Most recently, she worked at the international news service of the Swiss Broadcasting Corporation in Bern, where she covered Swiss politics, culture and business news for nine years.
A newly-minted Swiss citizen, Clare speaks five languages, and lives in Fribourg, on the invisible line where the F
“In a very humbling process, the Swiss have had to admit to their faults and compromise on secrecy, changing the law and releasing the names of bank clients to please the US, as well as signing a dozen double taxation agreements in six months to please the OECD.” 0 likes
“The perceived failings of leaders of other neutral or occupied European countries, including France, Spain, Sweden or Norway, or of the countries that fought alongside the Nazis, have not caught the public imagination in the English-speaking world in anything like the same way.” 0 likes