Start by marking “Vanguard (The Genesis Fleet, #1)” as Want to Read:
Vanguard (The Genesis Fleet, #1)

Vanguard

(The Genesis Fleet #1)

Jack Campbell returns to the world of the New York Times bestselling Lost Fleet novels with a new action-packed military science fiction series that explores the founding of the Alliance . . . and the men and women who fought to create it.

Earth is no longer the center of the universe.

After the invention of the faster-than-light jump drive, humanity is rapidly establishing
Published May 16th 2017 by Ace Books

To ask other readers questions about Vanguard, please sign up.
Alan Looks like book 2, "Ascendant," is due for publication May 15th, 2018. Looking forward to it. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...…moreLooks like book 2, "Ascendant," is due for publication May 15th, 2018. Looking forward to it. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...(less)

Start your review of Vanguard (The Genesis Fleet, #1)
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
2 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/06/24/...

I really wanted to like my first venture into the military sci-fi of Jack Campbell, but sadly it was just not meant to be. To be fair though, Vanguard is the first book of The Genesis Fleet, a new prequel series to Campbell’s The Lost Fleet which I have not read, so it’s possible that I may be missing some of the context required to fully appreciate this book. Still, to the novel’s credit, I also think it was set up to be
Gary
Mar 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Campbell's Lost Fleet prequel series has the expected fast-paced space navy action and unbridled optimism readers bank on, but the results are a bit less memorable than his earlier novels. ...more
Jean
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jack Campbell is one of my favorite military Sci-fi authors. I am a big fan of his “Lost Fleet Series” and its various spine-off series. This new series, “Genesis Fleet” is set in the time before the “Lost Fleet”, in other words, it is a prequel to the “Lost Fleet Series”.

War weary Earth refuses to be the policeman of the universe any more. Without a universal policeman to keep order, the pirates and two-bit plundering dictators are in full force. The four main characters to emerge are a failed
Mary Catelli
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Things are changing. . . the discovery of the jump drive has led to massive expansion of human colonization. And a breakdown of the social order where old Earth might be obeyed.

One character is the only former naval man on one colony threatened by a ship for protection money. Two other characters were stranded by pirates among the other passengers, and find their rescuers as rapacious. One just is trying to escape her past as a Red, from Mars.

Conflict and troubles, involving a boarding party, a
G33z3r
I liked the original Lost Fleet novels, so I keep trying Campbell to see... Sigh. OK plot, standard lectures on management techniques, cringeworthy romance. Apparently only Gearys are worth noting in history. Nope.
Ron
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“[We thought] we’d all get along, and everyone else would leave us alone because it’s such a big universe.” “Did they ask anybody who actually lives in this universe whether that made sense?”

Best space opera I’ve read in years because it’s more than that genre implies. Team of Sullenbergers space opera, but so much more. I would like to have their luck.

“In a universe run by humans, drills over time often become self-licking ice cream cones that justify whatever purpose those in charge of the dri
Fredrick Danysh
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Old Earth and the Old Colonies are drastically downsizing their militaries as new colonies are forming in a new direction. When Gelnlyon is faced with extortion attempts and invasion Robert Geary and Mele Darcy as the only former military in the colony are asked to develop and lead the defense depite the pacifist views of the ruling council. An action packed science fiction thriller.
Fred Hughes
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack Campbell knows how to spin a tale that grabs you and doesn't let you go until the end. Against the odds Geary prevails in very surprising ways.

This is a great series
Eric Allen
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It's not perfect. But it was entertaining enough. My main complaint about the first few volumes of the Lost Fleet, which were the first of this author's books that I read, was that it didn't really focus much on the people, and instead focused more on the numbers and the battle maneuvers. This books is pretty much the opposite, which I quite enjoyed. It has a sort of dystopian feel to it, rather than the military sci-fi that Jack Campbell is most well known for. And I ...more
Nathan Chattaway
Sep 20, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: life-s-too-short
The Young Hornblower In Space - without the mild humour. Juvenile pulp that relies solely on naval actions performed MacGyver style while torturing the plot. Like reading the Jerry Bruckheimer adaptation of The Expanse.
Robert
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: x2017-18-season
An excelent start to a new series set centuries before his Lost Fleet work. Not beholden to knowledge of the previous books to enjoy, but with a few easter-eggy references to the themes of the predecessors that reward the long-time reader.
Dave Stone
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
full disclaimer: I LOVE Jack JG Campbell Hemry.
whenever I read a book and rant "why didn't they write this" or "Why did they write that?!" Jack Campbell comes along a short time later and delivers the book that I asked for as if he had my house bugged by the NSA. Also he is ON FIRE! popping out best sellers twice a year like a coked up 25 year old. end disclaimer.
Vanguard. Value for time/money. well worth the read.
-yes this is a prequel, and it has the traditional weaknesses. the parents / ances
James Tullos
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
See my full thoughts here: https://youtu.be/EEbENLo4MV4

Military sci-fi is a genre that should be way better than it usually is. It revolves around action, intelligent strategy, neat worlds, political conflict, and badasses smoking cigars. This should not be hard to make interesting, but somehow dozens of authors always fail to do so. And "Vanguard" is just like most of its contemporaries, a few good ideas wrapped up in a shit package.

This book is about... oh, who gives a shit? Bad guys attack a
Margaret
I truly enjoy reading series novels, especially space opera. But when you get to ten to fifteen-plus novels in a universe, it is daunting to try to start reading that new author. Fortunately, sometimes authors make it easy.

Vanguard is the first book in the new Genesis Fleet series. Well-known author Jack Campbell is taking a break from his best-selling Lost Fleet/Lost Stars series to go to what amounts to a "prequel series". This is perfect for me because I don't have to ALREADY be familiar with
Jeff
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am going to admit I was a little lukewarm to the idea of a prequel series set at the beginning of the Alliance in the Gearyverse. I wanted more Geary or more Drakon/Iceni; after all, we sort of already knew that the Alliance was successfully founded - where's the fun in that when we knew the outcome?

Was I wrong.... wow! Vanguard is more of the same that we came to expect from those other novels - and when you're talking the Gearyverse - that is not a bad thing at all. We're introduced to the G
Elmwoodblues
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
If Tom Clancy leaves you thinking, "Those characters weren't one-dimensional enough, and they did not speak in enough clichés!", then this book is for you!

Four principle characters drift along the spaceship tracks, ragtag loners looking for a new life:

SHE is a rough ex-Marine, who fights her bosses as hard as the enemy! Her code: honor!
HE is an underappreciated former junior naval officer, unsure of himself! His code: honor!
OTHER SHE comes from the hardscrabble streets of Mars, disguising
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

As much as I loved the Lost Fleet series (all of them) this fell a bit flat for me. Likely the narrator from the Audible version I listened to had something to do with it. But it was a case of too many characters, not enough interesting action, and people I just didn't care to follow. As well, a lot of it felt like something I have read before in a Campbell book, just rejigged. Things picked up in the end nicely but i
Per Gunnar
I’ve read several series from Jack Campbell. Most notably The Lost Fleet and The Lost Fleet: Beyond The Frontier and I generally liked them. Not as much as some military sci-fi but mostly I’ve found them above average. That pretty much goes for this first book in this new series as well.

It is set in the same universe as the previously mentioned ones but plays out a lot earlier when humanity were in the early stages of expanding via FTL travel. The writing style, characters, military action is ve
Kristin
Read for May book group.

Read as an audio book.

This is a prequel to the Lost Fleet Series, which I've read and reviewed most of on Goodreads. I enjoyed Lost Fleet, and for the most part I enjoyed Vanguard. The difference being I read Vanguard as an audio book. I thought the narration was engaging, but did find the multiple "accents" distracting.

Premise of the book is, colony worlds have grown disillusioned with Old Earth oversight, and as they gain independence, are starting to pull away from
Michael
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the Genesis Fleet series by Jack Campbell a.k.a. John G. Hemry. This one is set in the universe of the “Lost Fleet” and “Lost Stars” series, but several hundred years earlier. Mankind has several colonies that were founded using sublight starflight and taking many years to get to them. Mankind has now discovered the jump drive and has started fanning out to even further stars, starting settlements on habitable worlds. The original colonies are now known as the "Old Colo ...more
Craig Dean
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read all of the Lost Fleet universe books back in 2017, right before starting my Goodreads marathon. At that time, only Vanguard was available in the series, and with the remainder of the trilogy concluded I felt it was time to revisit the series.

Returning reminded me of that initial thrill of discovering military sci-fi - of which Campbell is a master! He is no extraordinary writer, but his stories are gripping, his characters are relatable and his ability to shoehorn realism into a future un
margaret
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
nice sci-fi, good blend of politics and military, and well done characterization, including a decent number of female characters. I was putting it down because I kept getting super busy but kept going back.
Kian
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Good start to a series by the great Jack Campbell, I still prefer the lost fleet series. looking forward to his next book.
Savannah
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
If you can deal with 120 pages of world building and politics then get behind ground and space tactics, this book is for you. Plus the dust jacket is damn pretty.

Third book from the #johngraybox
Sam Vrooman
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A highly enjoyable read. Not a wholly original story, but interesting and fresh nevertheless.
Angie Rhodes
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This is an read and great for people who have read the other books, by Jack Cambell as it fives a backdrop, to his Genesis series, but saying that, though I did enjoy the book, I didn't gel with the characters, ...more
Anne - Books of My Heart
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, 7arcs

Read this review in its entirety at The Book Nympho

If you have enjoyed Jack Campbell's other series, Lost Fleet and Beyond the Frontier , and Lost Stars ,   Genesis Fleet will feel familiar. The writing style, space opera and military strategy all line up with the others. Vanguard is the beginning of the world, a prequel. The politics swing from democracy to dictator, not unrealistic to life, without finding a happy medium. The good guys and bad guys are
Erich
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Overall a very enjoyable book. Nothing really stands out to make it great, and it has a few shortcomings that bring down the overall quality of the novel, but it's still a good read.

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

The only issue that I have with the book is the ending. Not just for the sheer injustice of the council's "reward" for it's two heroes (which made me quite angry with that group), but rather how it was done. Yes, this is the kind of thing that can, and I dare say does, happen in the world. People do g
Josh
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Jack Campbell goes back into starfaring exploration history with a new series set hundreds of years before the events in his "Lost Fleet" series.

For me, this seemed kind of like a way for him to reboot the series, stepping away from the massive scale battles that the series ended with, and returning to a much smaller theater which allowed him to focus on developing new characters. Just one strange issue with this, however. It seems that some of the characters are direct ancestors of the protago
John Walker
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A terrific start to a series in Sy-Fy land.
Poor little Glenlyon the only town on a newly colonized planet. When the Scatcha, dark mean Empire from Star Wars planet comes a-calling there are not defenses, especially in space. Rob Geary a former Old Earther (yes that's us) volunteers to defend the planet with a small little nothing of a ship, and he wins.

Meanwhile there are other characters in this story that are going down the well from different planet to freedom, yet they rudely tricked into a
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Vangaurd Discussion (*Spoilers*) 1 5 May 22, 2017 08:37AM

• Stark's War (Stark's War, #1)
  • Stark's Crusade (Stark's War, #3)
  • Stark's Command (Stark's War, #2)
  • A Just Determination (JAG in Space, #1)
  • Rule of Evidence (JAG in Space, #3)
  • Burden of Proof (JAG in Space, #2)
  • Against All Enemies (JAG in Space, # 4)
  • River of Bones (Destroyermen, #13)
  • Earth Strike (Star Carrier, #1)
  • To Clear Away the Shadows (Lt. Leary, #13)
  • Blood Ward
  • Into the Fire (Vatta's Peace, #2)
  • Spaceside (Planetside #2)
  • A Call to Vengeance (Honorverse: Manticore Ascendant, #3)
  • Planetside (Planetside #1)
  • Raven's Course (Peacekeepers of Sol Book 3)
  • The Last Emperox (The Interdependency, #3)
  • Winds of Wrath (Destroyermen, #15)
Jack Campbell is a pseudonym for American science fiction author John G. Hemry.

John G. Hemry is an American author of military science fiction novels. Drawing on his experience as a retired United States Navy officer, he has written the Stark's War and Paul Sinclair series.

The Genesis Fleet (3 books)
  • Ascendant (The Genesis Fleet, #2)
  • Triumphant (The Genesis Fleet, #3)