Start by marking “King of the Friend Zone (Power of the Matchmaker)” as Want to Read:
King of the Friend Zone (Power of the Matchmaker)

King of the Friend Zone

(Power of the Matchmaker)

Esme Taylor has an amazing fiancé, a lifelong best friend, and a problem. The problem stems from the fact that her best friend is named Hunter and, well. . .he’s kind of (totally) hot. It’s hate at first sight when her fiancé, Jon, and Hunter meet. Jon’s convinced that Hunter is in love with Esme, and that Hunter must be out of the picture if their upcoming marriage is to ...more
Published August 29th 2016 by Wicked Sassy

Start your review of King of the Friend Zone (Power of the Matchmaker)
Kathy
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
Sheralyn did it again! Loved this one. This is my favorite type of romance novel. Clean with plenty of humor. One of my favorite writers!
This is part of the Power of the Matchmaker series but reads perfectly as a stand alone. I love Pearl's role in this one. Great addition to this series. It also features characters from her Kiss that Launched 1,000 Gifs story. Looking forward to her next book!

Source: Received a review copy, purchased a finished copy

Originally Read August 2016 - Reread November
Jacob Proffitt
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chaste, romance
This turns out to be a follow-on from The Kiss That Launched 1,000 Gifs, though you don't really need to read that one first. It's also part of the annoying Matchmaker series, but it actually handles Pearl better than most of the others have so that was way less annoying than I expected.

While I like friends-to-lovers stories in a squishy kind of way, they all have to clear the very real hurdle of "why aren't they already together." This one didn't handle that any better than average. Indeed, all
Katie W
It's amazing to me that an author can continue to deliver fantastic books over and over again, and Ms. Pratt does a fantastic job of doing just that. This book is part of the The Matchmaker series, but can stand alone, as each book just has one central character--Pearl, the matchmaker. Esme is the best friend of Grace, the main character from The Kiss That Launched 1,000 Gifs (you can see my review here), but this one can also stand alone.

Esme has finally found her perfect match in Jon, but he
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
As it always happens, whenever I read a book by Sheralyn Pratt, I can't put it down until I've devoured the entire thing in one sitting. And since I usually read at night after my kids go to bed, this makes for some pretty late nights ;) This time it was 2:52 am, but even after that I couldn't sleep and had to type some notes about the story in my phone to share in my review. I was a bit of a zombie the next day but it was totally worth it! Don't you just love books that leave you feeling totall ...more
Kathy
I really love the Power of the Matchmaker series! Each book is unique, and can stand alone, but each are connected through the fun character of Matchmaker Pearl. I love her character!

So, I did enjoy this one. Ms. Pratt always writes engaging stories that make you stop and think and of course fall in love along the way. I was a little nervous because the whole Best Friend To Lovers trope is not a favorite of mine (view spoiler)
Amaka
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Best Friend to Lovers, Cliche, Matchmakers, Super fun read.
Hunter, the male MC, had been in love with his childhood friend, Esme for as long as he could remember but had been unable to confess to her for fear that it would ruin their friendship. All hell let loose when Esme announced her engagement to a successful plastic surgeon, Jon. Jon, the perfect fiance, hated Hunter's guts and tried all he could to severe their friendship. Esme on the other hand, was left to choose between her fiance and
Kim
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Sheralyn Pratt definitely is on my auto-buy list now. This is the third unforgettable book I have read by this author and I don’t know how she consistently writes stuff that strongly exercises the mind and emotions of the reader yet still entertains a fun escape. In the novels I have read so far she always is seamlessly able to include information on the side to raise awareness, educate, or inform the reader on various biological, psychological, or sociological issues.

Like her other novels
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
For me, happiness is being married to my best friend. It is wonderful to live and grow with the person who I want to spend time with. For the characters in this story, they need to figure out if they can take a chance on loving their best friend.

Esme's best friend has been Hunter since they were babies. They grew up together, their families spend holidays together. They are each others happy place. But they are too stubborn to admit it to each other.

The book escalates the relationship from "sta
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Can a male/female best friendship stay that way through life? Chances really aren't that good. One side will probably end up having stronger feelings at some point. It's just the way things go. Or, inevitably, one side moves on with a serious romantic relationship and that partner will be jealous of best friend. It surely makes for a fantastic, classic love story with plenty of drama!

I love this Power of the Matchmaker series. Each novel is independent yet connected by one character who makes an
Rachael Anderson
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Way fun read with plenty of humor and snark! Really enjoyed this one.
Julie Carpenter
I have enjoyed every book that I've read in this Power of the Matchmaker series. I've really enjoyed seeing how the different authors will portray Miss Pearl, the Matchmaker. I think this is one of my favorite portrayals of her so far. Her and her cookie cart. What a cute idea! Her changing her accent had me laughing, especially at the end when it was revealed why she made it more or less noticeable. Overall she was just fun, especially in the epilogue. Cute!

This is my first Sheralyn Pratt book
Mara
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is part of the Power of the Matchmaker series but they're all written to be standalone books with Miss Pearl being the only common character in all of the books.

Esme Taylor and Hunter are BEST friends. Their moms were friends while pregnant and they continued the friendship after their children were born and as they grew up. Esme and Hunter don't remember not being together, the families are super close and share holidays together. Esme says she and Hunter are like brother and sister, and s
Susan
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
King of the Friend Zone

Sheralyn Pratt

Review copy received for an honest review.

KING OF THE FRIEND ZONE by Sheralyn Pratt is impossible to put down. Once I started I could not stop. Sheralyn Pratt grabs you from the very first page and never lets you go. I've never read any other books by this terrific author but she is now in my top ten of must read authors. I can not wait to get caught up on her previous stories and lose myself like I did with KING OF THE FRIEND ZONE all over again.

Esme Taylor
Alisa
Esme’s life is almost perfect when her boyfriend of 6 months, Jon, proposes to her. She now has the perfect fiancé and the perfect best friend, Hunter. But now it’s time to introduce her fiancé to her best friend, and Jon immediately sees what Esme has never been able to see: That Hunter is in love with her. Hunter has never intended to pursue Esme because she’s so smart and prefers dating doctors; Hunter has always struggled with dyslexia and he is a fireman. So not her type. But everything is ...more
Heather
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My first Sheralyn Pratt book and I loved it! Esme and Hunter are great characters, and although I wanted Jon to be more of a villain, he was a great character too. I also loved Miss Pearl's appearance in this story as a cookie vendor. Sorry there's not a lot of depth to this review, but KING OF THE FRIEND ZONE is a fun and fast read. You won't be able to put it down!
Rachel
3 1/2 stars

This is the 9th book in the Power of the Matchmaker series and I think I like the portrayal of Miss. Pearl the best in this book. :) She's selling cookies for a kiss. If the one you kiss is someone you truly love (whether it's boyfriend/girlfriend, spouses, parent/child), the cookies taste divine. If the one you kiss is not a true love the cookies are bland. Loved it! :)

For the most part, I enjoyed this well written story about best friends who have known each other all their lives an
Kelly
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, clean-read
This was a cute twist of the friend to lover’s trope! The chemistry was perfect. I liked how they showed flaws in the characters that affected what they do with their lives. And of course, I always enjoy seeing Ms Pearl! She just brings it all together with her words of wisdom!

When Jon proposes to Esme in her favorite place, Esme accepts. It was a little fast and she hasn’t yet introduced him to her family and her best friends Grace and Hunter. Jon doesn’t like Hunter and gets Esme to pretty muc
Annette
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Fun clean romance. The heroine was a little frustrating, but I enjoyed the friendship between the two MCs and their respect for each other. This one didn't have the wow factor that Pimpernel had, but still a good read.
Kristen
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Had to take a star off for some content, but other than that I couldn't put it down. Love our Miss Pearl Matchmaker and have enjoyed reading the books in this series.

Esme & Hunter are great characters and I loved the story! Good stuff.

Moral Note: Some mild language (d-bag, a$$) Some talk of breasts (Jon is a plastic surgeon) some innuendos. Mild violence.
 The Flipped Page (Susan K)
Romance, clean, contemporary, some drinking (for my teetotaling friends)
This was a great read! Another good read in the Power of the Matchmaker Series. I loved Hunter and Esme's story. I list Hunter's name first, because Sheralyn Pratt described him so well, I felt like I 'knew' him, knew his heart, and understood his frustrations. Esme was a great character. Her mixed emotions, her struggle to accept and finally come to 'see' Hunter for who he was.
In a way, I love that 'he' is pictured on the c
Deborah
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I think of would of enjoyed it even more if she would of broken up with her fiancé sooner and we could of seen them dating more. Over-all enjoyed it!!
Stephanie
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
This was just ok for me. Esme kind of infuriated me about half the time. I liked Hunter a little more, but he was a bit of a hothead, so I didn't love him as much I had hoped for. The whole magic cookie lady thing was a bit odd. This book has been on my TBR for quite a while, so I'm glad I read it, but it's not one I would be interested in reading again.
C.J. Burright
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
King of the Friend Zone is the first book I've read by this author, and it was such a fun, quick read. I finished in two nights! So...Esme and Hunter have been best friends for all their lives, growing up together, hanging together, teasing each other, a BFF relationship with zero romance along the way, a deep connection that not everyone understands. One such person who misunderstands is Esme's new fiance, Jon. Then again, maybe he understands what Esme refuses to see, that Hunter is head over ...more
Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws
Esme and Hunter’s mothers are best friends and as such they were pretty much brought up together like family. In turn Esme and Hunter are best friends too and they are like peas in a pod. So when Esme turns up to announce that she is engaged to Jon, a man Hunter had never met, it was bit of a surprise for everyone around them. When Hunter and Jon meet things go the wrong way and neither of them approves of the other. But things turn for the worse when Jon, who thinks Hunter is in love with her, ...more
Shash
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Esme and Hunter have known each other since birth. They have grown up together and are best friends. Now Esme is engaged, and her fiancé doesn’t want Hunter around.

King of the Friend Zone is the ninth book in the Power of the Matchmaker series. This is a great series! Each book stands alone, but features Miss Pearl, the matchmaker. I loved Miss Pearl’s role in this story! She has a cookie cart, and sells cookies to couples for a kiss. That kiss is the final ingredient, and the most important in
Melanie
Since I've read other books by this author, I knew once I started, I would have a hard time putting it down. I loved everything about this book! Esme is newly engaged but her fiance, Jon, hasn't met her best friend, Hunter, yet. And when they do meet, it isn't pretty.

Jon seemed great until I got to know Hunter. Hunter is easy to fall in love with. He's charming, funny, and not afraid to cause some drama. Esme is also easy to like. She's caught in a difficult spot and did her best to be fair to e
Maureen Timerman
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
This story is set in San Francisco and we are with Esme and her favorite city park, and perfect Jon knowing this, uses this background to ask for her hand in marriage. Jon is every girls dream, tall, dark and handsome, and also a very rich doctor.
Esme feels she has arrived and found just what she has been looking for, but when Jon starts changing his spots, can she adapt to what he wants.
Hunter and Emse were brought up together, mom’s are best friends and spent a lot of time together, and are st
Sam B
I received this ebook through ebooksforreview in exchange for an honest review.

First off, if anyone has The Kiss That Launched 1,000 Gifs by the same author on their TBR pile, you might want to read it first. I hadn't even realized it was by the same author and haven't read The Kiss That Launched 1,000 Gifs, but at the end of the book their is a note mentioning that Grace and Ashton (supporting characters) are the ones from that previous book. So now I need to read it too!

As for King of the Frie
Tori (Book Chick)
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Honestly this book took me a while to get in to. I don't know if it was the book or my mood. Who knows?! But once I really got in the thick of the story, I really just wanted to see what would happen. This was part of the Power of the Matchmaker series, but as all the other books in the series, it can stand alone. Pearl, the matchmaker, appeared, as she does in every book in the series. She's just the cutest and I love how each author has had her do something different in their book.
I loved Hun
Jo
Sep 04, 2016 rated it liked it
I want cookies lady too.

Think about if it cut it shortly, then it will be 4 stars. Both were in love for a long long time, they afraid if they voice out their relationship will break.

We did make the wrong choice in love because we afraid being alone. Sometime lonely is better than wrong accompany. It is a good one and fit for weekend read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Power of the Matchmaker
  • Oh, Keep Your Shirt On (Shaped By Love #2)
  • A Man Worth Shaving For (Shaped By Love #1)
  • Facial Recognition (Serenity Spa, #1)
  • Serial Hottie
  • The Avery Shaw Experiment (Science Squad, #1)
  • How to Not Fall for the Wrong Guy
  • My Fair Lacey & A Perfect Fit (Echo Ridge Romance)
  • My Not So Wicked Stepbrother (My Not So Wicked #1)
  • The Enemy (It Happened in Charleston, #2)
  • Being Jamie Baker (Jamie Baker, #1)
  • His Unexpected Heiress (Entangled Inheritance #2)
  • My Not So Wicked Ex-Fiancé (My Not So Wicked #2)
  • 27 Ways to Find a Boyfriend (27 Ways, #1)
  • Falling for Her Foe
  • The Deal Breakers (Love Quiz #2)
  • First Kiss Train Wreck: A Sweet Romantic Comedy Novella (Shaped by Love #3)
  • A is for Abstinence (V is for Virgin #2)
I like to keep things light and fun, and believe that life is journey so if you're going to buy a book, your life should better for it. Whether a book I write is intended to help you escape for a few hours or designed to teach you a new skill, I hope you find it unforgettable...in a good way. ;)

Current/Upcoming Titles:
- Pimpernel
- Walk of Infamy
- King of the Friend Zone
- The Kiss that Launched

Power of the Matchmaker (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Broken Things to Mend (Power of the Matchmaker)
  • Not Always Happenstance (Power of the Matchmaker)
  • If We Were a Movie
  • Love is Come (Power of the Matchmaker)
  • Four Chambers (Power of the Matchmaker)
  • O'er The River Liffey  (Power of the Matchmaker #6)
  • Chasing Fireflies (Power of the Matchmaker)
  • Between Heaven and Earth
  • To Move the World (Power of the Matchmaker)
  • How I Met Your Brother