Start by marking “One Photo” as Want to Read:
One Photo

One Photo

From Ross Watkins, the illustrator of The Boy Who Grew Into a Tree, and Liz Anelli, comes this moving picture book about family, the failings of memory and the strength of love. Told in stunning prose, with poignant artwork, this book is a celebration of what we hold dearest.
Published August 29th 2016 by Penguin

Kylie Purdie
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cbc-2017, 2017-reads
This has been shortlisted for the Australian Children's Book Council Picture Book of the Year.

A look at early onset Alzheimer's or dementia through the eyes of a child. Dad gets an old film camera and starts taking pictures - not of people, but things. Ross Watkins shows how when things like this are happening in a child's life, they pick up things without understanding the whole.
Dad started doing more funny things, like putting things that belonged in the fridge in the cupboard, and things tha
Tim Riley
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It might seem at first that this review falls into dangerous territory through my prior knowledge of Ross, and that I am biased due to studying under him at USC. Though he was a mentor, one of the two that had possibly the greatest influence on my own work during my time spent on campus, the rating is based entirely on the work that Ross and Liz have achieved here.

At once moving, and confronting - the work stands as a bold conversation starter between parent and child. A difficult subject, handl
Ramona
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a fabulous book! I am looking at my plans for next term preparing to teach photography for another term of Art from Kindy to year 6. I am definitely going to use this book as a starting point of discussion (as long as I manage not to cry in front of all the kids). The illustrations by Liz Anelli are superb too. When dad starts losing his memory, his camera becomes the memory keeper.
elisabeth
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
last on my day-long picture book rampage is this interesting idea for a picture book, exploring alzheimers through the eyes of the little son of the patient. to be honest, I would have never even thought of this idea, but it was a good read and the pictures had a quirky kind of style that I really liked! I think it's really important little kids have at least some knowledge about things like alzheimers and aren't completely left in the dark when a family member or friend is affected (I can only ...more
Miss Jenny
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This review originally published on my website: Miss Jenny's Classroom

This story is about a family of three (mother, father and son) but focuses on the father. He takes photos of “odd” things according to his family and he is becoming increasingly forgetful. The mother and especially the son feel frustrated that he will take photos of those things but not him/the family. And then he is gone.

When I first collected this book from the library it was the illustrations that drew me in. Don’t get me w
Megan Liwanag
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think it's a good book. I liked the way they did the illustrations. At first when I was reading this, I was trying to wonder where the storyline was going. Then, nearing to the end, it just changes. A major plot twist happens and it leaves you stuck. It may have only been a few pages, but it's one of the best picture books I have read.
Byron Bibliotherapy
Mature, gorgeous handling of topic of dementia. Would suit older Primary & early High School, and is of the same quality as that classic for younger years, Wilfred Gordon McDonald Partridge.
Jennie
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A poignant story told through the eyes of a boy as his family changes due to the early onset Alzheimers in his father. Dad's takes up photography and starts to collect a myriad of photos capturing his days and interests, but none of his wife and son. Understanding comes to the boy, and the reader, at the end. This is a quite extraordinary story that makes a significant contribution to children's literature that explores the heartbreak of memory loss on families
Jess
One Photo by Ross Watkins and Illustrated by Liz Anelli is a beautiful and poignant picture book about memory, families, life and loss.

I love children's picture books. Absolutely adore them and I'm so slowly growing quite the collection, but One Photo was the first picture book that has ever moved me to tears. And not a slow trickle either, by the end of this book I was crying, full on proper crying. That's the power of this book.

Told through the perspective of a child, One Photo is the story of
Donna
Ellen
Apr 09, 2017
Sharlene Evans
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Felt moved just skimming this book in store and cried when reading at home. Loving memories of one lost through dementia, this story captured the struggles of bystanders beautifully. Illustrations that lost colour as memories deminish ... just beautiful!
Elise Olavsen
Aug 30, 2016
Michelle
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read for Children's Book Council of Australia book awards 2017.
Shortlisted for Picture Book of the year.
As such....I will talk about the illustrations first. Liz Anelli's unique style has a strong retro feel.
In regard to the story .....this book is suited to older children. Youngsters will not understand the content. It would be a great discussion book for schools lucky enough to have a Library Teacher.
The book has a beautifully warm feel to it.
Linda