Start by marking “Hooktheory II” as Want to Read:
Hooktheory II

Hooktheory II

There has never been a music book like this. Hooktheory II is a smart, fun, skill-building journey that concretely teaches you how to craft melodies and chord progressions like professional musicians, and gain a deep understanding and intuition for how music works. Validated by 16,435 musicians like you, Hooktheory I and II are the best selling how-to music books for instr ...more
Published October 1st 2016 by Hooktheory LLC

To ask other readers questions about Hooktheory II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hooktheory II

Start your review of Hooktheory II
Brian Cyril
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
This is the best book I've found on chord progressions. I studied piano as a kid, but hated it. Later in my teens I got into making beats, and gradually learned basic chord progressions using my basic piano knowledge.

Fast forward to my 30's, I'm making music again - electronic, hip hop, synthwave style stuff. And I wanted to really get a grasp on chord progressions. But all the conventional material out there is based on the old fashioned bass/treble clef notation and doesn't give modern exampl
Mai Thanh
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So, I've finished reading Hooktheory II and it definitely has more theories and illustrations and demonstrations than Hooktheory I. This book requires much more time to invest in and I advise not to read it all at once but focus one chapter at a time and spend your time on it as much as you need in order to fully grasp its content. This book would prompt you to work with Hookpad as it touches on melodies more so it's good to practice not only on the melodies but also on chord progressions and th ...more
Carlos Ramos
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is really helpful wit hmore complex topics on music.

And they even have songs from The Legend of Zelda and Game of Thrones!

I mean, how awesome is that?

However, I feel that the topics in this second book were not as clear and easily understandable that in the first book. It could be that, obviously, they are more complex, but the first book I did not stop to think that much, it all just made sense even from the first read!

On this one, I had to pause, reflect, go back, re-read, and go thr
Benjamin Bond
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is wonderful! I have reread it 3 times already. By far the best book on songwriting I have ever read. It has a huge amount of information in it, and it's all explained really well. There are also many examples using pop music, And they are right there in the text. All the other songwriting books I've read use music classical music examples, which is useless to me.

Hook theory I and II are way more valuable to me than the $200 music theory textbook I read, and they are so much less exp
Brent
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This picks up where Hooktheory I left off, and is every bit as good. It has incredibly concise, clear, and focused coverage of the theory behind the chord progressions and melodies of contemporary songs, and I can't recommend it highly enough for songwriters. It's not completely comprehensive (where are the dim7 chords?), but what it does cover - and it covers a lot! - it covers extremely well. The audio/video examples made possible by the ebook format make this a resource far superior to any ha ...more
Alex
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
With this second part you can definitely deep into more advanced songwriting techniques, but the first part can be enough to get you started.
Matthew Sims
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book and tool (Hookpad) are exceptionally clear and simple. If you've tried to dig into music theory and hit a wall, or if you've been given music theory rules without examples, than this book is that missing piece of the puzzle.

I promise that if you read both of these and start applying their guidelines you'll be writing more powerfully. What I mean is that you'll have simple rules that you can follow or break. Rather than unconsciously write the same chord progressions over and over, you'
Tim Nowotny
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book had a grander feel to me like the first one. There are many special tricks and chords that you learn and can use. For me, the pace was a bit to fast to really incorporate it into my skill set, but I am eager to see if a second reading cannot fix that.
Gordon
Oct 13, 2016
Lucas
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: songwriting
It is a good book. Part 1 offered seemed more cost-effective to me. It has good foundation and insightful ideas.

The content of Part 2 is quite good, but there are 2 things that I disliked:
- it is impossible to copy & paste notes from the book!!!
- the song examples are too fragmented. It feels like you can only use the ideas of Part 2 in small sections of your compositions. Maybe that's just the way it is. I don't have enough musical theory background to argue about it.
Jason Keisling
Jan 21, 2018
Yoshua Wakeham
Oct 24, 2018
D
Nov 04, 2018
Chris Anderson
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Sorathekitty
Dec 31, 2016

• Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio
  • The Addiction Formula: A holistic approach to writing captivating, memorable hit songs. With 317 proven commercial techniques and 331 examples. (Holistic Songwriting Book 1)
  • Superforecasting: The Art and Science of Prediction
  • The Mixing Engineer's Handbook
  • Reconfiguración Financiera: Piensa, Gana, Administra, Invierte y Potencia tu dinero como la gente rica.
  • Se Tu Propio Héroe: ¡Y empieza una nueva vida!
  • Book of Rhymes: The Poetics of Hip Hop