Start by marking “Mistress of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Mistress of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #3)

Mistress of the Empire

(The Empire Trilogy #3)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  20,956 Ratings  ·  327 Reviews
The world on the other side of the rift:  Kelewan, a land seething with political intrigue and deadly conspiracies.  Following the opulent panoply of Daughter Of The Empire and the dazzling pageantry of Servant Of The Empire comes the resounding conclusion to the Empire trilogy.

Besieged by spies and rival houses, stalked by a secret and merciless brotherhood of assassins,
Mass Market Paperback, 676 pages
Published May 1993 by Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Company Inc. (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Mistress of the Empire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mistress of the Empire

Choko
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*** 4.75 ***

Yes, there were parts that were a bit slow, there was too much sorrow at other times, and the political machinations were the most prevalent part of the trilogy, but as a whole, this is one of the best three books strung together I have ever read!!!! Loved every moment of it, even when it got preachy at the end and despite the tears and heartache it made me live through. It had some very cruel moments, but all of them were essential to the plot and none of the violence was ever gratu
Graeme Rodaughan
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 stars. This is classic epic fantasy by a pair of masters of the genre.

I could waste your time by recapping the plot* - so, instead I'll focus on the standouts that make this story an easy 5 stars.

[1] This story is written to evoke emotions - you will feel a lot while reading this book, you will feel along with the characters, grief and sadness, joy and triumph, fear and courage, and a sense of wholeness as all threads are brought to their natural ends.

[2] World building: Is Tolkienesque in sco
Olivia
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After three months, I am done with the Empire Trilogy and am looking forward to diving further into the Riftwar Cycle. If you're at all interested in Feist's work and the rest of the Riftwar Cycle, start with the Riftwar Saga Trilogy before you read the Empire Trilogy. It'll provide background info, I was lacking while reading it. It's not absolutely necessary but it'll add depth to the world.

I would hate to spoil anyone on this lovely trilogy, which is why I'll keep the plot info to a minimum.
Troy G
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
So concludes the best trilogy ever written. When I think about this book, in many ways I think of the supporting cast. I could retitle the book "Arakasi and Lujan" as those are the two character's whose plots most resonated with me. These two characters had perhaps the most drastic arc from the first novel in the trilogy when they were little more than outlaws. In this novel they are so very much more. More than they ever could have been without the intervention of Mara.

That is her greatest gif
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
A great conclusion to one of the best trilogies I've ever read.

It did have a bit too much sorrow at times and a tad too much political intrigue at others but on the whole, it was an amazing read which has earned a place among my all-time-favourites.
Jim
Dec 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous finish to a great trilogy. I've read & enjoyed other books & series by both authors, but I think that together, they were even better. Thanks, Janny & Ray!
Michael Y. Patuwo
Mar 26, 2012 rated it liked it
I have strongly mixed opinions about this books; parts of it excite me so much that I thought 'this is a truly magnificent scene', while other parts made me fume with irritation and disbelief.

Let's start with the good part. Mistress of the Empire started with a BANG! that left me unable to put the book down for a few chapters because of how powerful its impact was on the story and characters. Later in the book another tragic surprise roped me in with a similar intensity, and the fast-paced actio
Ojo
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh what a feeling! I haven't felt this good in a long, long while. Empire Trilogy excels where others barely manage to impress. It's more than brilliant. It's astounding. Satisfying. It's officially one of my best ever series in epic fantasy. I'm ranking it up there, in the lofty heights, in the the company of the likes of ASoIaF, Kingkiller, WoT, Malazan and SoT.

I already knew I was going to give this book a solid 5 stars from the opening few pages, such was the stunning start. At this point u
Sumant
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not many series endings have given me the experience but with the book Servant of the empire, I can say that the ending left me feeling content.All the story lines got a proper ending in this book.Also we discover lot of new things regarding cho-ja and tsuruanni in this book.

The previous books consisted of given insights into characters who are working against Mara.But this book offers insights into male counterparts who are working for Mara.The most interesting insights are the ones given by Ar
Rosie
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
VALEU TANTO A PENA... mas acabou.

Uma saga! 4 Livros, história e personagens cativantes, acompanharam-me nestes últimos meses e agora a separação. Não me apetece nada abandonar a Mara, o Hokanu, o Arakasi, o Lujan...
Fica este sentimento de perda. Até uma próxima. Deixar esquecer para reler mais tarde com certeza.

Teria tanto que contar atendendo que é a conclusão mas não vos quero enfadar e se querem mesmo saber têm que ler.

Reforço apenas que o mais relevante e interessante é a mudança da linh
 Adriana ♩♪
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have been reading this trilogy for MONTHS... what a weird feeling! It will take time to get back into reality. I’m pretty much still living in that magical and different world.

The Empire Trilogy: 1,924 pages of politic intrigues, plots, spy network, poisoning, assassinations, massacres, vengeance and blood feud.

The story is also about tradition, honor, amazing creatures and lots of magic. All this combined with Mara, a very very strong female character.

These books can be a little dense, espec
Dan
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Very good, rather lengthy, but superb!
Sotiris Karaiskos
Ξεκίνησα να διαβάζω το τρίτο βιβλίο της τριλογίας χωρίς να καταλαβαίνω ακριβώς τον σκοπό του, καθώς στο δεύτερο μέρος τα πράγματα είχαν φτάσει σε ένα happy end που άφηνε λίγα περιθώρια για κάποια συνέχεια. Τελικά όμως οι συγγραφείς αποφάσισαν ότι έχουν και άλλα πράγματα να πουν και μετά το τέλος της ανάγνωσης μπορώ να πω ότι τελικά πήρανε τη σωστή απόφαση.

Το τελευταίο μέρος της τριλογίας, λοιπόν, η αγαπητή μας Mara είναι ίσως η ισχυρότερη γυναίκα της αυτοκρατορίας, αυτή η δύναμη που έχει στα χ
Ayesa
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Definitely the best book out of the entire trilogy. Unlike its predecessor, in this book Mara remained at the forefront of the plot and challenged opposition in a way that was unexpected, action-packed, and most of all, heartfelt.

Out of all the books I've read, Mara is the most multidimensional character I've ever come across and in this book, you see all of those sides flourish with every page. She is vulnerable and caring yet carries with her an inner strength and calm (traits less often asso
Kate
Feb 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, fantasy
The first quarter of the final book in the series is not good. The death of Mara's son through the hands of an assassin drives her mad with grief which leads her to attempt to go to war with her nemesis Jiro of the Anasatzi. The way this first quarter of the book is written is confusing and lacklustre, but does set up the rest of the story which is Mara vs the Black Robes and Assassins and Anasatzi.

The other three-quarters of the book is utterly brilliant, totally gripping and in places heartwre
Barefoot Danger
Mar 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
I cannot say enough bad things about this book. Here's a drinking game: Drink anytime an old person is described as "wizened", someone counts off things on their fingers (if they're not actually counting anything, chug), anytime someone inclines their head, all chapters that begin with "[Noun] [verb]ed," and any time you want to slit your wrists.

Awful. This book was awful.

The authors have obviously never taken the advice "Show, don't tell." Chapters are divided arbitrarily. It will take three c
Gergana
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
If I should give my rating stars I will give 10 not 5 stars.
Pauline
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
I need to file this last book into my pile of "what a terrible last book in a series" books. I had to trudge my way through a majority of this one. The beginning of the book was pretty good. I had been disappointed with the second book in this series and was hoping for this to end with a bang. Unfortunately it did not and now I can't decide if this was a good investment of my time or not.

I still love the characters but it just got bogged down with so much excess that it lost that spark that fir
Rachel
Sep 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, irritating
I am not ashamed to admit that if I never see this trilogy again, it'll be too soon. The authors turn everything they've written in the previous two books on its head, just for the sake of making us feel pity for Mara, who is even more self-serving in this one than in the other two, even though the authors have tried to disguise it as grief. Over-padded, over-bloated, ridiculous political wrangling doesn't equal plot unless there is also a story to sustain it, and there's nothing like that here, ...more
Kara
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy

Tragedy after bad thing after setback after disaster happen to Mara, and at first it’s so bad she goes a little catatonic, and then makes some SEVERE missteps.

Then, Mara being the awesome heroine she is, she decides if the system is broken, she’s just going to have to pull the whole thing down, and proceeds to do so.

An Epic Quest at its finest, with the stakes sky high, and heroine who will do anything to protect those she loves.
Luana
3,5

Sono ancora abbastanza combattuta sul giudizio da dare a questo libro, però, ora come ora, non me la sento di dare la quarta stellina: molte cose mi sono piaciute, ma non sono mancati i lati negativi, per non parlare dell'incazzatura che mi è venuta nel vedere separata la mia coppia preferita...non credo di poter scrivere una recensione coerente, perciò butterò giù una serie di punti, indicando sempre la presenza di spoiler, e vediamo cosa ne viene fuori.

Pronti, partenza, via!

1) Questo libro
livvingitup
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tragedy befalls the renowned Servant of the Empire, and dark forces are determined to destroy every thing Mara holds dear. Yet she dreams of liberating her people, and won't allow any bloodshed to deter her.

Once again we are presented with a brilliant book laced with intrigue, bloodshed, revenge and love. Civil War and the treacherous Assembly of Magicians threatens to plunge Mara's world into chaos.
Everything about this book was perfectly executed. Great detail and planning is evident through
Mieneke
Geir Skårland
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think everyone who has read the great fantasy classics longs to find new books that give the same experience. And have many experiences of disappointments.

Through my searches, I have concluded that it’s not just the genre. It also has a lot to do with the writing and the humanity of the truly great stories. A good fantasy novel has to touch something in the real world.

This one does. Through this book, I have been pleased, provoked, thrilled, impressed and touched. There is both goodness and
Torben Rahbek Koch
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
:O
Michael Hoelke
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars. 4 was too low. Not as good as the first 2 in this trilogy inside of this 31 book saga. That being said, very solid.
Glitterfairy
Jan 06, 2009 added it
Recommends it for: Anyone who preferred Krondor's Sons duology over the previous two books
Recommended to Glitterfairy by: misguided people who told me it was as good as the previous two
Victoria
That was just...Wow. I've been on a wild ride since the first installation in this trilogy and I never expected the story to conclude like this, so amazing and bittersweet. The Empire Trilogy has truly challenged my view of what I consider good books, good writing, good characterization, and good plot. More than that, it's taught me a lot about what it means to be strong and stand firm in the face of adversity and challenge.

Frankly, The Empire Trilogy has very much awoken my interest in fantasy
Sean Goh
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith, fantasy, fiction
The stunning conclusion to a truly peerless trilogy. The depth of characterisation and world-building the authors have poured into this work of art... leaves me at a loss for words to describe. I've lost count of the number of times I have shed tears reading this series, usually at pivotal scenes involving death or passionate pleas against the status quo. Verily, it requires an outsider's viewpoint to upend long-held paradigms.
Kinda makes me want to go back and revise all my previous 5 star rati
Rachel van Huyssteen
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mistress of the empire started out with an explosion. I was thinking to myself, "I'm never going to put this book down" and "this is going to be just as amazing as the 1st book in the trilogy (Daughter of the Empire)." This lasted for maybe 150 pages or so. Throughout the middle of the book there was a lot of politics, which isn't my favorite in any book. I buckled down and got through it. Then the book started getting amazing again. Lujan and Arakasi really made this book what it is. Without th ...more
  • Grand Conspiracy (Wars of Light & Shadow #5; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #2)
  • The Bristling Wood (Deverry, #3)
  • The Will of the Wanderer (Rose of the Prophet, #1)
  • The Legend of Deathwalker (The Drenai Saga, #7)
  • Sword of Flame (Artefacts of Power, #3)
  • The Shining Ones (The Tamuli, #2)
Raymond E. Feist was born Raymond E. Gonzales III, but took his adoptive step-father's surname when his mother remarried Felix E. Feist. He graduated with a B.A. in Communication Arts with Honors in 1977 from the University of California at San Diego. During that year Feist had some ideas for a novel about a boy who would be a magician. He wrote the novel two years later, and it was published in 1 ...more

The Empire Trilogy (3 books)
  • Daughter of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #1)
  • Servant of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #2)

Fiction Deals

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
    $11.99 $11.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red
  • A.D. 30 (A.D., #1)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Karolina's Twins: A Novel
  • The Woman in the Dunes
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Illuminati: Roundtable of the Bosses (The Cartel #7)
  • The 158-Pound Marriage
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
    $3.99 $0.99
“He likes to humble our foes by making them seem ridiculous. As he said to me the other day, ‘Kill a man, and you cede him honor in the eyes of the gods. Laugh at him and you shame him'.” 3 likes
“You know what they say: ‘Men have throats and daggers have sharp edges'.” 2 likes