Start by marking “Mistress of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Mistress of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #3)

Mistress of the Empire

(Riftwar Cycle: The Empire Trilogy #3)

The world on the other side of the rift:  Kelewan, a land seething with political intrigue and deadly conspiracies.  Following the opulent panoply of Daughter Of The Empire and the dazzling pageantry of Servant Of The Empire comes the resounding conclusion to the Empire trilogy.

Besieged by spies and rival houses, stalked by a secret and merciless brotherhood of assassins,
Mass Market Paperback, 676 pages
Published May 1993 by Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Company Inc. (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Mistress of the Empire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mistress of the Empire

Start your review of Mistress of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #3)
Choko
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*** 4.75 ***

Yes, there were parts that were a bit slow, there was too much sorrow at other times, and the political machinations were the most prevalent part of the trilogy, but as a whole, this is one of the best three books strung together I have ever read!!!! Loved every moment of it, even when it got preachy at the end and despite the tears and heartache it made me live through. It had some very cruel moments, but all of them were essential to the plot and none of the violence was ever gratu
Graeme Rodaughan
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 stars. This is classic epic fantasy by a pair of masters of the genre.

I could waste your time by recapping the plot* - so, instead I'll focus on the standouts that make this story an easy 5 stars.

[1] This story is written to evoke emotions - you will feel a lot while reading this book, you will feel along with the characters, grief and sadness, joy and triumph, fear and courage, and a sense of wholeness as all threads are brought to their natural ends.

[2] World building: Is Tolkienesque in sco
Mayim de Vries
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it
”Now we must all play, or die.”

This party started with a big bang but ended with fake vanilla.
And dragged in between.

Mistress of the Empire is the third, and the final volume of the Empire trilogy. We have seen the slow rise of Mara who from a redundant scion of the Acoma family, transformed into one of the most powerful forces to be reckoned with. It would seem that all the challenges have been met, all the threats neutralised, and that the Authors will have a hard time surprising us into exci
Olivia
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
After three months, I am done with the Empire Trilogy and am looking forward to diving further into the Riftwar Cycle. If you're at all interested in Feist's work and the rest of the Riftwar Cycle, start with the Riftwar Saga Trilogy before you read the Empire Trilogy. It'll provide background info, I was lacking while reading it. It's not absolutely necessary but it'll add depth to the world.

I would hate to spoil anyone on this lovely trilogy, which is why I'll keep the plot info to a minimum.
Bradley
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The third in the trilogy started out so strong that I wanted to rage, weep, and throw the book against the wall.

I really hate it when books tear me to shreds. The tragedy in the opening was a real nightmare for me and the characters in here, but more importantly, it drove a lot of the massive change to come.

We are, after all, sitting on a trilogy that completely upends the entire society. Civil War, massive change for the Cho-Ji, and even the Council who are above the law, the High Magicians, an
Troy G
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
So concludes the best trilogy ever written. When I think about this book, in many ways I think of the supporting cast. I could retitle the book "Arakasi and Lujan" as those are the two character's whose plots most resonated with me. These two characters had perhaps the most drastic arc from the first novel in the trilogy when they were little more than outlaws. In this novel they are so very much more. More than they ever could have been without the intervention of Mara.

That is her greatest gif
Eric
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

The final volume of the Empire trilogy, Mistress of the Empire brings events full circle, closing out the series strongly.

The last book ended with Mara comfortable and secure, at the top of Tsurani society with her enemy house finally defeated. That comfort doesn’t last long as her house in thrown into disarray and once again she is forced to fight. The stakes are raised this time as she fights not only to save her house but her culture.

I’ll confess, at the end of the second book in the
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great conclusion to one of the best trilogies I've ever read.

It did have a bit too much sorrow at times and a tad too much political intrigue at others but on the whole, it was an amazing read which has earned a place among my all-time-favourites.
YouKneeK
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mistress of the Empire is the final book in The Empire Trilogy. As I’ve mentioned before, I first read this about 20 years ago. I remembered very little of it, particularly from the later books, just that I had really loved it at the time. My reaction was similar this time around. It was a great read.

I had a bit of a rough start with this book, and struggled a little through the first 100 pages or so. Mara took some actions early on that I didn’t like. I don’t think her actions were unrealistic
Ojo
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh what a feeling! I haven't felt this good in a long, long while. Empire Trilogy excels where others barely manage to impress. It's more than brilliant. It's astounding. Satisfying. It's officially one of my best ever series in epic fantasy. I'm ranking it up there, in the lofty heights, in the the company of the likes of ASoIaF, Kingkiller, WoT, Malazan and SoT.

I already knew I was going to give this book a solid 5 stars from the opening few pages, such was the stunning start. At this point u
Suraj
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great ending to a superb saga. With a very satisfying ending and a very thrilling storyline, a must read for anyone who enjoys reading a good story.
Jim
Dec 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous finish to a great trilogy. I've read & enjoyed other books & series by both authors, but I think that together, they were even better. Thanks, Janny & Ray! ...more
Michael Y. Patuwo
Mar 26, 2012 rated it liked it
I have strongly mixed opinions about this books; parts of it excite me so much that I thought 'this is a truly magnificent scene', while other parts made me fume with irritation and disbelief.

Let's start with the good part. Mistress of the Empire started with a BANG! that left me unable to put the book down for a few chapters because of how powerful its impact was on the story and characters. Later in the book another tragic surprise roped me in with a similar intensity, and the fast-paced actio
Dan
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, 2015
Very good, rather lengthy, but superb!
Susan
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best trilogies in fantasy I have ever read.

Sumant
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not many series endings have given me the experience but with the book Servant of the empire, I can say that the ending left me feeling content.All the story lines got a proper ending in this book.Also we discover lot of new things regarding cho-ja and tsuruanni in this book.

The previous books consisted of given insights into characters who are working against Mara.But this book offers insights into male counterparts who are working for Mara.The most interesting insights are the ones given by Ar
Steve R
Assassinations, poisonings, rivalries of established houses,wars of vengeance, claims to an imperial throne,difficult relations with an Assembly, a heartfelt love story and an unexpected reunion of long lost lovers highlight this third and final volume n the series.

Although not well remembered, nonetheless recommended as an exceptionally intricate interweaving of many different characters, themes and plot lines.
Kostas
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Civil war is brewing at the heart of the Empire, as traditionalists vie to restore the previous status quo and the brotherhood of assassins seeks its own vengeance.
But while the Game of the Council goes on, a deep secret has been kept silent for centuries that could erupt into a full-scale conflict and threaten the future of all Tsuranuanni.

Epic in scale and full of political twists and reverses, The Empire Trilogy culminates in a grand battle between chaos and a new order...

The journey of Mara
Literary Han
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic, magic, fantasy, adult
A solid 4 star read and an excellent wrap up to this trilogy.

The politics in this are second to none and the huge changes Mara and her cohort wanted to make were very progressive for this world.

I enjoyed this third and final book in The Empire trilogy the most and I am excited to continue my adventures in this universe with my main man Pug!

Hannah xoxo
Ayesa
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Definitely the best book out of the entire trilogy. Unlike its predecessor, in this book Mara remained at the forefront of the plot and challenged opposition in a way that was unexpected, action-packed, and most of all, heartfelt.

Out of all the books I've read, Mara is the most multidimensional character I've ever come across and in this book, you see all of those sides flourish with every page. She is vulnerable and caring yet carries with her an inner strength and calm (traits less often asso
Frank
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No spoilers.

Great conclusion to a three book series of political, and ruling family treachery.

Wonderful character and world building through out the series.
Kate
Feb 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2011
The first quarter of the final book in the series is not good. The death of Mara's son through the hands of an assassin drives her mad with grief which leads her to attempt to go to war with her nemesis Jiro of the Anasatzi. The way this first quarter of the book is written is confusing and lacklustre, but does set up the rest of the story which is Mara vs the Black Robes and Assassins and Anasatzi.

The other three-quarters of the book is utterly brilliant, totally gripping and in places heartwre
Pauline
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
I need to file this last book into my pile of "what a terrible last book in a series" books. I had to trudge my way through a majority of this one. The beginning of the book was pretty good. I had been disappointed with the second book in this series and was hoping for this to end with a bang. Unfortunately it did not and now I can't decide if this was a good investment of my time or not.

I still love the characters but it just got bogged down with so much excess that it lost that spark that fir
Barefoot Danger
Mar 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
I cannot say enough bad things about this book. Here's a drinking game: Drink anytime an old person is described as "wizened", someone counts off things on their fingers (if they're not actually counting anything, chug), anytime someone inclines their head, all chapters that begin with "[Noun] [verb]ed," and any time you want to slit your wrists.

Awful. This book was awful.

The authors have obviously never taken the advice "Show, don't tell." Chapters are divided arbitrarily. It will take three c
Kara
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy

Tragedy after bad thing after setback after disaster happen to Mara, and at first it’s so bad she goes a little catatonic, and then makes some SEVERE missteps.

Then, Mara being the awesome heroine she is, she decides if the system is broken, she’s just going to have to pull the whole thing down, and proceeds to do so.

An Epic Quest at its finest, with the stakes sky high, and heroine who will do anything to protect those she loves.
Mieneke
Debbie Gascoyne
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, re-reading, 2019
This one was much better than the second, but still not quite as good as the first; maybe 3.5 stars rounded up to 4 because it did hold my interest. The absence of Kevin removed most of the euro-centric/almost racist stuff that I found distasteful in the second. There was even a tiny hint that the Emperor might be gay! But the overall sexual politics were still rather conservative and out-dated for my taste. I most enjoyed the way we got to know the mysterious spy master a lot more, and the sub- ...more
Gergana
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
If I should give my rating stars I will give 10 not 5 stars.
Rachel
Sep 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: irritating, fantasy
I am not ashamed to admit that if I never see this trilogy again, it'll be too soon. The authors turn everything they've written in the previous two books on its head, just for the sake of making us feel pity for Mara, who is even more self-serving in this one than in the other two, even though the authors have tried to disguise it as grief. Over-padded, over-bloated, ridiculous political wrangling doesn't equal plot unless there is also a story to sustain it, and there's nothing like that here, ...more
Jocelyn (foxonbooks)
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
A stunning conclusion to one of the most complex and rich fantasy trilogies I've ever read. Enhanced by the flavour of nostalgia on this re read - fifteen years after the first time I experienced these books.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Warhost of Vastmark (Wars of Light & Shadow, #3; Arc 2 - The Ships of Merior, #2)
  • Silverthorn by Raymond E. Feist Summary & Study Guide
  • Keeper of the Keys (The Cycle of Fire, #2)
  • To Ride Hell’s Chasm
  • Shadowfane (The Cycle of Fire, #3)
  • The Master of White Storm
  • A Sword from Red Ice (Sword of Shadows, #3)
  • Sorcerer's Legacy
  • A Time of Dread (Of Blood and Bone, #1)
  • Stormwarden (The Cycle of Fire, #1)
  • Domes of Fire (The Tamuli, #1)
  • Wolfblade (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade, #1)
  • The Will of the Wanderer (Rose of the Prophet, #1)
  • Sorceress of Darshiva (The Malloreon, #4)
  • Traitor's Knot (Wars of Light & Shadow #7; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #4)
  • The Ships of Merior (Wars of Light & Shadow, #2; Arc 2 - The Ships of Merior, #1)
  • A Time of Courage (Of Blood and Bone, #3)
  • Raymond E. Feist's Magician Master (Premiere)
Raymond E. Feist was born Raymond E. Gonzales III, but took his adoptive step-father's surname when his mother remarried Felix E. Feist. He graduated with a B.A. in Communication Arts with Honors in 1977 from the University of California at San Diego. During that year Feist had some ideas for a novel about a boy who would be a magician. He wrote the novel two years later, and it was published in 1 ...more

Riftwar Cycle: The Empire Trilogy (3 books)
  • Daughter of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #1)
  • Servant of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #2)