Start by marking “Heir of Locksley (Outlaw’s Legacy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Heir of Locksley (Outlaw’s Legacy, #1)

Heir of Locksley

(Outlaw’s Legacy #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  42 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Robin of Locksley is a rebel, more comfortable roaming Sherwood Forest with his longbow and courting the village girls than learning how to run a manor.

An innocent flirtation with a peasant girl soon lands Robin in trouble, and worse, he finds himself inexplicably attracted to Will Scathelock, his best friend since childhood. Robin must decide whether to follow the rules o
Published December 1st 2016 by Beaten Track Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Heir of Locksley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heir of Locksley

really liked it 4.00  ·

Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Story ⭐⭐⭐⭐
This story involves friendship, confusing feelings, betrayal and the problems between being a noble and a normal. It reminds me of Robin Hood in some ways.
It was full of surprises, action and a little bit of love ♥

Characters ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Like i said Robins story really reminds me of Robin Hood, he even calls himself like that. He is brave, a good fighter and he is a nice kindhearted person.
I loved Will from the first moment we met him in this book. He was curious, brave and bold. He was a grea
Kirsty ❤️
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Before I get into the review itself this book gave me find memories of watching Robin of Sherwood back in the 80’s and having discussions about who was the best Robin – Michael Praed or Jason Connery. Never mind your Russell Crowes, this was the Robin Hood me and my school friends enjoyed most.

The book itself I chose from netgalley because I love the Robin Hood legend and I like historical fiction. I was also intrigued by the blurb and the reviews around the LGBT angle. Some other reviews have m
A.M. Leibowitz
For a lot of reasons, this is a really tough review. For one thing, it’s not my usual fare. As much as I love parts of the legend of Robin Hood, it’s been done a whole lot, and I’m not keen on the Crusades angle in some of them. I’m also not typically interested in historical fiction outside of memoir or written by someone who lived through a particular era. That said, this was a pleasant surprise in many ways. However, I also had some misgivings.

On the plus side, this is a fresh take on Robin a
Lori
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, series, bmbr-reads
Some stories stand the test of time, retold again and again in many forms, Robin Hood is one of these. There is something endearing about the man who stole from the rich and gave to the poor, a tale tale rooted in history and myth. There is evidence Robin Hood, or Robin of Locksley, is real, but no definitive proof, yet, like King Arthur, his story is enduring. Who is the man behind the legend? What inspired so many tales about him? He is fascinating. Perhaps my favourite thing though, is the wa ...more
Naturalbri (Bri Wignall)
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a fresh take on the Robin Hood tale! It has head nods toward the original, but is ultimately a completely new look at the story and one that will leave you wanting more.

At 400 pages, this is a dedicated read. It does contain a plethora of detail, really going into depth with the characters, time, place and background. This means that you have the freedom to feel completely submerged in the book. You really get to know and love th characters, as well as feel as though you sere their mates. Y
Martin
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful retelling of a classic story. I went in not knowing what to expect, and was pleasantly surprised by the sweep of the narrative. The characters were beautifully fleshed out, each with care and dimension, and the plot never slowed down. I was moved by the often-conflicted Robin of Locksley, and touched by his friendship with Will. I can’t wait to see where the author takes them. She’s a gifted writer. Robin + Will — ‘tis a consummation devoutly to be wish’d!
Carra
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’ve never really had a ton of exposure to the Robin Hood mythology in general-the majority of my familiarity comes from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves movie with Kevin Costner (yes, I know all the downfalls of his acting and accent in this, but I enjoyed the story it presented and the action/suspense of the film). But the romanticism of the Robin Hood character is something that draws me in, and I thought the author’s take on the Robin Hood lore was original and quite well done.

As a die-hard fan
Emily
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it

I want to start off by saying that the book does end with a cliffhanger, which I was not expecting. I've said it before; I'm not a cliffhanger fan. At all. So that did influence what I thought about the story, particularly when it became obvious partway through that the story was not going to end where I though it would. I went into the book thinking it would be a complete tale of Robin Hood or at the very least get to the Robin Hood part. However, this ends with Robin going off to war
Alexis Woods
An ARC of this story was received free from the publisher in return for an honest review.

This was a splendid tale, a young adult version, of Robin of Locksley...his origins of becoming Robin Hood.

The following contains a bit of story arc spoiler.

(view spoiler)
Anne Barwell
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, lgbtq
I’ve always been a huge fan of anything Robin Hood related and this story doesn’t disappoint. The prologue of Heir of Locksley is set shortly after Robin is born. Skip ahead, and Robin is now twelve, and his best friend is called Guy....

One of the things I loved about this story was the history of its characters, and how introducing Guy this early made him more sympathetic as a character at this time of his life. Robin and Guy’s lives are intertwined, and so I thought it was important that we se
Joyfully Jay
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: camille
A Joyfully Jay review.

I knew going into it that this was the first of (at least? Only?) two books, so I was not that surprised to see the book broken into two parts. The first third follows Robin and Guy when they are but tweenagers; the other two thirds follows Robin and Lucy’s relationship, how Will does and does not fit into Robin’s life, and the despicable actions Guy takes in the name of revenge. It made for a good split.

I especially liked how carefully Dixon establishes Robin and
Marissa
I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Heir of Locksley is the first installment in the Outlaw's Legacy. It tells the story of Robin of Lockley's early years beginning with his birth and ending with him about to head off to the Crusades. During this time, he adopts the well known identity of Robin Hood. Because this book starts so early in the characters' life, readers are given more insight into what made Robin of Locksley become Rob
A.R. Jarvis
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
DNF. It was...written in an acceptable manner. But it was also rather dry and boring, and every female character existed only as a background prop for Robin’s development as a character. I gave up when...oh never mind, don’t want to spoil anything. But it was around 70%.

Plus, I guess I was mostly here for the gay romance? Only that romance didn’t even bother to show up (or maybe it did for a bit, but just lingered with the people it already knew out on the back porch before leaving again), and
Catherine Townsend-Lyon
Not Your "Robin Hood" From Sherwood, But Better!!

I will say I'm not a usual 'Robin Hood' type of folklore reader, but the new twists on this "old tale" athat adds a dash of "mature storyyline" makes this series worth the read. I loved the writing style by this author, the way she weaves excitement into the story, love, the charaters, even "bad" characters together all seem to mix well and pop!

I enjoyed it so much I just bought book 2 of her series. If you like the tales of Robin Hood or watch g
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Heir of Locksley" is a solid reimagining of the beginnings of the Robin Hood legend. I thought that the depiction of Robin's childhood was really well done and the novel did a great job establishing his characters. The villainous characters were also rather well done and I look forward to seeing how their relationship with Robin develops in the next part.

The romantic relationships seem somewhat rushed at times and I would have liked to see some more scenes between Robin and Will to really esta
Lipsy
Loved this! Review to follow.
Victorique Crawford
I found this really enjoyable as a Robin Hood tale. The liberties the author took was something which I found really enjoyable and even entertaining for that matter.

As for the story, it is rather tragic at times as this is going to make him the men he was. Who he was and what he was. Although it is clear that he will have no wife or son, but I like how the author gave her touch to this romance. It was short but tragic. As Robin Hood does everything for her.

The villains wise, one really needed so
Brooke Banks
I requested to read Heir of Locksley because gay Robin Hood? Fuck yes! Give me that old time social justice advocate gays, baby!

(And if you’re wondering I was totally one of those kids that loved the animation Robin Hood and thought he was hot as hell.)

But instead I got the straight childhood prequel. There’s barely a hint of homosexual romance and tension until the end. THEN IT ENDS.

Me During Reading:

“Okay, battling kiddos, will you two hook up?”
“Nope, okay then. Age gap, maybe?!”
“Nope. Ugh,
Jocelyn
I received an e-ARC of this title from Netgalley in exchange for an honest opinion.

I am a Robin Hood fan. I have read, watched, and just generally consumed as many versions of Robin Hood as I could because I find him such an interesting figure. I've even found myself down the rabbit holes of debates on his existence and what a master's in Robin Hood studies looks like because I am just that invested. It's this baggage that I bring into Heir of Locksley and in many ways, it's clear I'm a target d
Domoni
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Before he was the famed outlaw, Robin Hood, he was Robin of Locksley. Every hero has a start and a story that we often don’t get much information on, this book is about the young years of Robin and his crew.

The story opens at Robins birth and then jumps to follow him at age twelve. We get a glimpse of Robins relationship with his father as well as with his childhood friend Guy of Gisborne and the Gisborne family. Where Robin saw friendship, jealousy and hatred began to seethe into Guy’s heart. W
Mari Cardenas ~ Bayou Book Junkie
4 Stars!

Heir of Locksley is book one in the Outlaws Legacy series, which is a re-telling of the Robin Hood legend, with a M/M twist. In this installment, we follow Robin of Locksley from his birth until he's 18 and it's more like setting things up for the upcoming books (or so I hope). The mystery of why Robin's father doesn't like him, how he and Guy of Gisborne (later the Sheriff of Nottingham) grow from semi-friends to become enemies, how good Robin was with the bow since an early age and how
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
Robin is the heir of Locksley manor and will reign in his father’s stead. But Robin has no interest in running a manor and doesn’t agree with his father on most things. Robin doesn’t like the way his father and most of the high born people treat the lower class. Robin thinks that everyone should be treated the same no matter where they come from or what their class is.

Robin meets a young woman in his village whose family has worked and lived in Locksley for many, many years. Robin takes a fancy
Debbie McGowan
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
(Editor's Review)
I hadn't realised until I read Heir of Locksley that I have a bit of a soft spot for historical semi-fiction. OK, I know Robin Hood is legend, and the research indicates there may have been a Robin of Locksley, but whether he robbed to the rich to give to the poor is arguable.

Whether Robin existed or not is by the by. What is true is that N.B. Dixon put a great deal of work into researching the legend in order to create this impressive retelling of Robin's story, and in so doing
Danny
rated it it was ok
Jan 12, 2017
Nicki K.
Review to come!
Stephanie Livingston-Bujold
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
well written take on an old tale.
this depicts robin as a young boy heading into mahood and the events ( his father's disposition,falling in love, losing friends and his love thru betrayal etc..) that helped make the man that became known as Robin Hood. can't wait to read the next installment.
Caitlin
Jamie Deacon
Nov 24, 2016
Warby
Dec 26, 2017
I’ve always had a taste for the dramatic. Writing historical fiction means I get to combine deep emotion and exciting adventure with my love of Folklore and Medieval History.

My love affair with the Robin Hood legend began one day in a hidden corner of the school library and has extended into my adult life. I only hope I can convince my readers to love him as much as I do.

Outlaw’s Legacy (3 books)
  • Knight of Sherwood (Outlaw's Legacy, #2)
  • Earl of Huntingdon (Outlaw's Legacy #3)