Start by marking “Hello Humpback!” as Want to Read:
Hello Humpback!

Hello Humpback!

With bright and bold illustrations of the wild and magical West Coast by celebrated artist Roy Henry Vickers, this sturdy board book will delight babies and toddlers as they begin to experience and recognize the sights and sounds of the natural world. Hello Humpback!, a "first words" book, introduces iconic West Coast animals, from hungry sea otters to hopping orcas, and ...more
Board Book, 20 pages
Published March 25th 2017 by Harbour Publishing (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Hello Humpback!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hello Humpback!

Start your review of Hello Humpback!
Elizabeth  Chang
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, 3-stars, picture, reviews
Beautiful tactile pictures! It's not super obvious, but there's a little bump on the page...and it makes the pictures oh-so-pretty!
Jessica
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Amazing illustrations for the simple words in this book. My son loved the texture as well.
Cheriee Weichel
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book makes me happy. The rhythm and rhyming pattern have much to do with it. There's a tactile component to the illustrations that encourages the reader to caress the illustrations. Even without this, they are spectacular. Traditional renditions of different animals and plants are highlighted against exuberantly colourful backgrounds. One page is filled with a variety of labeled ocean animals and plants. This does interrupt the flow of the story, but will be appealing for readers to go back ...more
Penny
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful book! I absolutely love Roy Henry Vickers illustrations, he is a fabulous artist!! Robert Budd is a very talented young man whom I had not heard of before I read an article about him and Mr. Vickers teaming up to do this book. I will have to keep an eye out for more works by him. Excellent job gentlemen, keep up the good work!!
This book will truly delight youngsters and their parents too. A great tribute to the West Coast of Canada.
Anne
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just lovely! I told myself I was going to donate it to my library when I get home but I can already tell I'll be keeping the west coast wonders for me. Seriously, every page is a wonder and I look forward to flipping through it on a regular basis.

update 9/8/2019
The start of the new school year has me pining for all things past Canadian vacations. Yesss, tell it chatty raven and creepy octopus.
mg
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations, lovely rhymes. Great book for little ones to learn about different animals and culture of the PNW.

My only issue was the ocean page in the middle that had the many different animals illustrated and named. It really seemed to throw off the flow of the book, the rhyme/cadence, etc. Kids probably wouldn't be bothered by it, though.
That One Librarian
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
An exceptional board book - exquisitely illustrated and perfect prose. Ideal for babies and toddlers. Just a little over-whelming on one page spread, but this issue is minimal when considering the whole of the work.
Bella
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Raised visuals. Striking contrast in colours.
Caitlinleah
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: board-books
Lovely artwork. Simple rhyming text. Not very literal. Makes me want to visit the Pacific Northwest.
Melissa
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations were just stunning - gorgeous colors! - and Benji especially loved touching the raised illustrations - what a unique technique!
Sue Mosher
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful board book of West Coast First Nations artwork.
Gab McLaren
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Diverse artwork and styles in children's books isn't something I thought I needed until right now!
Olivia Slykhuis
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A board book. Very neat illustrations by "celebrated First Nations artist Roy Henry Vickers". If I was using this for a story time I might skip the "ocean blue" page, which is a bit overwhelming with the number of listed creatures, and doesn't really fit in with the rest of the book. Super simple, two words per page. The version I have at my library is quite small, so maybe not as good for storytimes.
Janet
Very unique board book. It focuses on the nature of the US west coast. This title is done by a First Nations artist and the native artistic expression is depicted throughout the book. Also the illustrations contain various amounts of raised elements which also gives a toddler the experience of touch. I especially liked the eagles’ nest illustration.
Excellent.
Kitty
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book
Boyo really likes the tactile nature of the pictures. It's a fun little poem with beautiful illustrations. I just wish there was an explanation for some of the symbology, but I suppose I shouldn't expect that in a board book. :)
Robyn
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very beautiful art. It’s stunning. The bright colours and contrast are gorgeous. Some texture in the pages for baby to feel too. Aaaaaand it rhymes!
Michelle
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My toddler likes the raised pictures
Meredith
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: board-books
What a gorgeous book. I love the pictures so much. It would probably be better in a one on one reading situation than a group.
Vicki
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very vivid colors in this book about West Coast (US) animals and geography. Some of the illustrations are raised for a textural experience with the book.
Annie
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very pretty little board book with First Nations art
Emma
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: oh-canada, ownvoices
I looooove the illustrations and I love how they're embossed so there's an added tactile element. The use of color in the art is also very striking and engaging.
Miss Sarah
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
In simple words and bright vivid pictures nature and animals are shown. Baby and up
Victoria Hanley

• One Eagle Soaring
  • All Kinds of People
  • Silly Lullaby
  • Black Bird Yellow Sun
  • Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?
  • Will Sheep Sleep?
  • Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See?
  • Look Look Outside!