Start by marking “Shakespeare's Christmas (A Lily Bard Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Shakespeare's Christmas (A Lily Bard Mystery, #3)

Shakespeare's Christmas (Lily Bard #3)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  12,496 Ratings  ·  458 Reviews
Lily Bard heads home for the holidays.

Even in a sleepy Arkansas town, the holidays can be murder. — Lily Bard is going home for the holidays. More comfortable in baggy sweats than bridesmaid's frills, Lily isn't thrilled about attending her estranged sister's wedding. She has moved to Shakespeare, Arkansas, to start a new life, cleaning houses for a living, trying to forge
Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Published November 4th 2008 by Berkley (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Shakespeare's Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shakespeare's Christmas

Jilly
Apr 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Overall, I would say this series fits into the "meh" category. They have disturbing and dark things happen in the crimes, but they seem to be brushed over a bit. The characters are mediocre, of course with all of the police and detectives being worse at investigating than Lily, the maid. And, the love story doesn't have very many feels.

It's like the books are trying to tackle big issues without being willing to get as dark as these issues would really take to be meaningful to the reader. There
Cyndi
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Warning this book has some terrible topics. There is child abduction, past rape and more awful stuff. And not much Christmas unless you include using decorations as weapons.
Since Charlaine Harris came out with this series years ago I had been circling around giving them a try. So since I’m using my ‘Christmas book read’ to sample a few different series, I thought I would try this one. Now I know to give it a pass. I didn’t like the heroine very much, but it may have been more because of the au
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
I enjoyed how the author took Lily out of the small town of Shakespeare and back to her small hometown, the root of her pain and issues, the family members she felt so awkward around. Of course there is a mystery thrown in when she arrives, to be solved amidst family dramas and wedding plans, Jack popping into town to stir up her loins, and Lily again getting uptight and moody if anyone tries to act normal around her.

The parents and sister don't stand out too much, but they were enjoyable writte
Katreniah
Feb 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Normally, I do my homework, check and see if the book is part of a series, double-check to learn what type of book it is, do some research on the author, but I didn't do any of that for this book, and I won't make that mistake again. I had been given this book, I read the back, and I plowed right into it one day. I didn't even look for the author's name until I was finishing chapter 3, so imagine my surprise when I learned it was Sookie Stackhouse's Charlaine Harris. I'd read the entire Sookie s ...more
Jim
Another good mystery, although the story got a little convoluted & confusing at a couple of points. May have been my fault for not following all the character names closely enough, but there were a fair few. Lily goes back to her home town, so she knows everyone & seems to meet half of them.

This has added depth to Lily's character & I like her more with each page. Very admirable lady. On to the next!
Wanda
I would rate this at 3.5 stars out of 5. Certainly good enough to keep me reading the rest of the series.

In this installment, we change small towns and therefore a lot of the people that Lily Bard is interacting with and it’s a good change. She returns to her home-town and her family’s home for her sister’s wedding right before Christmas. After her traumatic rape & mutilation, Lily fled the town, her family and her friends, to start a new life in Shakespeare, Arkansas. Although she doesn’t r
Dagny
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: harris-charlaine
My favorite so far in this series! It is actually easy to like Lily in this book as she returns home for her sister's wedding and to reconcile with her family.
Tracy
Better than the second book. Less disturbing somehow. Lily goes home for Christmas. Her relationship with Jack is less troublesome, more real. Lily is still cantankerous as hell, but seeing her at home makes this easier to understand. I'm starting to know Lily better now.
Julie (jjmachshev)
Nov 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008-reads
I've enjoyed every one of Charlaine Harris' 'Shakespeare' mysteries. These are much darker than her other series with the exception of the 'Harper Connelly' series. If you're expecting anything like her 'Dead' series...don't. But if you like a gritty mystery with a kick-ass heroine with a dark past...you'd be doing yourself a favor to try this series out. These were originally written in the 90s, but have been reprinted in the last couple of years.

Lily has to return to her hometown after all thi
Emily
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2013
I've gotten very attached to Lily Bard. It was interesting this time around to see her outside of the Shakespeare setting and interacting with her family. (view spoiler) I like how Lily, even though there seems to be a murder every time she turns around, has gradually started to enjoy life again. She's beginning to ...more
Sesa38
Dec 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first book in the Lily Bard series. I was looking for Christmas books so read this out of order. I'm not a huge Charlene Harris fan - I don't care for the vampire series at all- but loved this one. I immediately downloaded and read books 1 and 2 in the series next. The main character is a woman who had been brutally attacked in the past and goes on to learn self defense and get very strong. Because of her experiences, she has as hard time relating to people but is making friends in t ...more
Tina
Nov 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Now this one was quite a bit better than book #2 Shakespeare's Champion and I even liked the plot and mystery more than book # 1 Shakespeare's Landlord.

Lily's Sister is getting married and Lily needs to go home to participate in all the pre-wedding celebrations because she is the maid of honor.

Since the rape/torture that happened to her over seven years ago, Lily has remained largely apart from her family. They simply didn't know how to react to her trauma and in the aftermath Lily simply did no
Lauren
Shakespeare's Christmas
4 Stars

Returning home for her sister’s wedding, Lily is dreading the inevitable confrontation with the harsh memories of her past. All this takes a back seat, however, when Lily finds herself enmeshed in a new mystery as her boyfriend, private investigator Jack Leeds, arrives with the troubling news that Lily's soon to be brother-in-law may be a kidnapper.

While Lily is definitely not the most affable of heroines and some readers may find her directness curt and discourteo
Shorty
I am so glad to have Lily actually connecting with her new boyfriend Jack in such a way that he may become permanent. She has grown-up feelings, and recognizes them, and isn't running away from them, or Jack.
Lily is growing, coming out of her shell, and becoming more confident in herself, and others. She is willing to see that opening yourself up to others and their feelings SOME times does not end in pain, and is trying, once more.
Lily went to be in her little sister's wedding, and helped Jack
Tracy Terry
The third in the Lily Bard/Shakespeare Mystery series. At last a plot that has some substance to it, a whodunit that though the reason why is fairly obvious the perpetrator is less so.

Interesting that the author chose this, the third book in the series, to really explore the aftermath of Lily's assault not just through the eyes of those closest to Lily but also through Lily herself's eyes, though this works ok as a stand alone novel it is because of this that I think the books are probably best
Candice
Lily Bard is much darker than Sookie Stackhouse. I've know that, I figured it out the first few books. But even so, this one gave me nightmares.

I have a sister who is deeply disturbed (I am as well, I just handle it better) by crimes involving children. If you are, this might not be the best book for you.

I have one large issue with this installment ... the hurry up to the end. All the Lily Bard mysteries are quick reads. But mostly the mystery stretches out throughout the book. In this one, the
Nikinnia Smith
I didn't enjoy this book as much as the 1st two in the series. In this book Lily leaves Shakespeare to go back to her home town for her sister's wedding. (view spoiler) ...more
graveyardgremlin (formerly faeriemyst)
The weakest entry so far, but still not a bad read. The book takes place out of Shakespeare and in Lily's hometown of Bartley, which it was nice to learn more about her family and other background info. She's still prickly and ill-suited to normal human interactions, but she is trying. I hope by the end of the series, she'll be even closer to fully healing. Lily's relationship with Jack is interesting and weird, but they're still figuring things out, and have similar feelings towards committment ...more
Vickie
Dec 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a perfect-for-me holiday read. Murder and mystery as written by Charlaine Harris. Yep, perfect. And it's still good. Above was written 23 Dec 2008. Read it again as a holiday favorite.
CalamityMane
Le sigh. I'm tiring of Harris' writing characters who are so severely damaged that they don't make sense anymore. What woman who's been through what Lily Bard has been through would find herself attracted to a physically aggressive man like Jack? And if Jack is the person he's supposed to be - a man who knows what Lily Bard has been through - why is always manhandling her in such a way that she has remind him not to?

The premise for this book was better than the previous two, but the disjointed w
Mackey St
Shakespeare's Christmas During the holidays I like to read books centered around the season. Unfortunately that is becoming more and more difficult to do unless one really likes trite, cozy mysteries or steamy holiday romance novels. Since I have previously read all of the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris, I decided to give Shakespeare's Christmas a try. Yes, it is a cozy mystery and yes it is written in exactly the same style as all other Harris books. Harris writes exactly as she sp ...more
Lisa
As my cold gets worse instead of better, Lily Bard heads home for her sister's wedding preparations. While Lily tries to navigate familial relationships, Jack Leeds unexpectedly appears in her hometown, drawing her into a missing person's case and a murder (she's becoming a little like Jessica Fletcher, who I'm amazed ever got invited anywhere what with her presence guaranteeing that a dead body would show up).

While Jack still makes my shit itch - if a potential boyfriend ever showed up to a fam
Angela
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: whodunit
Better than the second one by far, but still lacking in the mystery department. She did do some actual investigating in this one, which was nice, and the case was much darker than a guy being killed over...I completely why the landlord was killed in the first book. Ohhh, right - made the wrong comment on the wrong day to the wrong person, and they freaked. Right, well, in that case, this mystery was world's darker.

Starting to get tired of the constant mentions of shaving, but it could be much, m
Cherie
Apr 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great entry in the Lily Bard Mystery series. In this one, Lily travels home during the holidays to be a bridesmaid in her sister's wedding, and of course trouble follows her... as does her sexy new boyfriend Jack! ;)

We learn a bit more about Lily's background in this one as she stays with her family during her homecoming. This is really the first time she's been home since the incident which scarred her both physically and emotionally.

I'm looking forward to reading more of this series!
Mira
Jan 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a love/hate thing with Charlaine Harris. While I have come to tire of the relentless damsel in distress that is Sookie Stackhouse, the protagonist of this novel was a strong woman more than capable of taking care of herself. I approve of this heartily.

The pacing of this novel is good, it keeps the interest up and it gives enough clues to the plot that you can keep up. A great relief that there is no magical deus ex machina to save this heroine.

I'm not sure that I'd seek out other books i
Jan C
Mar 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: south
Kind of interesting. What happens where someone who left home because of neaucoup scandal when she was raped has to go back home when her sister gets married. Plus, boyfriend Jack is working on a case about a girl who was snatched and there are three possible girls in Lily's home town of Bartley who could be it and one of them is her future brother-in-law's daughter. Another belongs to the local minister.

And, of course, once Lily and Jack show up the bodies start falling.

But, oooooooh, the ten
Sarah Adamson
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, mystery
3rd in the series and the hardest book to find for a long time until Charlaine Harris became famous from Sookie. This is a Reread! This book explores Lily's family as she returns home for her sister's wedding. She is dreading the whole social scene and having to be a part of it when Jack shows up, not just for her but with a job - to find a kidnapped child. The child, kidnapped as a baby almost 8 years ago, may be one of three girls including Lily's soon-to-be niece.
Another great mystery full o
Elyse
Murder follows Lily Bard around. Which I guess is the point of the series. Ha. It was good to see Lily interact with her family and mend some fences. I thought the plot was surprising, not what I was expecting. I'm not Jack's biggest fan and I'm not sure why...his descriptions from the second book I wasn't over the moon over, I guess. I liked some of the hometown characters that Lily hadn't seen in many years. Healing has happened. I can't believe I have only 2 books left! :(
Kristine Hansen
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Lily Bard has got to be my favorite tortured hero(ine). With a past that haunts her, the last thing she wants to do is go home for Christmas. Then the corpses start piling up. Because, you know, it's a Lily Bard book.

I love the blossoming romance. I love that she's a damsel that's never in distress so long as she can get her hands (or feet, or whatever) into play. Tough and feisty and still very very fragile, Lily is actually my favorite of Ms. Harris' characters.

Ronda
Dec 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, romance
This one has been my favorite so far. It takes place outside the comfort of Lily's new home and life in Shakespeare and finds her revisiting her childhood home for her sister's wedding. Lily doesn't want to be there, but it seems the visit might be cathartic for both her and her family--so long as her brother-in-law to be doesn't turn out to be guilty of kidnapping and murder.
2015 Reading Chal...: Shakespeare's Christmas by Charlaine Harris 3 16 Nov 16, 2015 08:53AM
Can I read the other two books after this? 10 85 Apr 02, 2014 09:13AM
  • Where There's a Witch (A Bewitching Mystery, #5)
  • Powers of Detection: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • Doom with a View (Psychic Eye Mystery, #7)
  • Charmed to Death (Ophelia & Abby,  #2)
  • Murder with All the Trimmings (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #4)
  • Devil May Ride (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #2)
  • Aunt Dimity's Christmas (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #5)
  • Six Geese A-Slaying (Meg Langslow, #10)
  • Roast Mortem (Coffeehouse Mystery, #9)
  • Them Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #1)
  • Hexes and Hemlines (A Witchcraft Mystery, #3)
  • Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop
  • Girl in a Box
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over twenty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Now she lives in southern Arkansas with her husband, her three children, three dogs, and a duck. The duck stays outside.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was wr
More about Charlaine Harris...

Lily Bard (5 books)
  • Shakespeare's Landlord (Lily Bard, #1)
  • Shakespeare's Champion (Lily Bard, #2)
  • Shakespeare's Trollop (Lily Bard, #4)
  • Shakespeare's Counselor (Lily Bard, #5)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
  • The Snow Garden
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • A Density of Souls
  • Plea of Insanity
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Away from the Dark (The Light, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Missing, Presumed (DS Manon, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Use
  • The Husband
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Emma's Secret
  • She's Not There
  • Heart Collector
    $3.99 $1.99
  • B is for Burglar (Kinsey Millhone, #2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Room with a Clue (Pennyfoot Hotel #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $2.00