Start by marking “The Girl's Like Spaghetti: Why, You Can't Manage Without Apostrophes!” as Want to Read:
The Girl's Like Spaghetti: Why, You Can't Manage Without Apostrophes!

The Girl's Like Spaghetti: Why, You Can't Manage Without Apostrophes!

A comanion to the best-seller Eats, Shoots & Leaves, this is punctuation play at its finest!

Just as the use of commas was hilariously demystified in Eats, Shoots & Leaves: Why, Commas Really Do Make a Difference!, now Lynne Truss and Bonnie Timmons put their talents together to do the same for apostrophes. Everyone needs to know where to put an apostrophe to make a
Published July 1st 2007 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Girl's Like Spaghetti, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl's Like Spaghetti

Tanu Gill
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fun and enlightening book.
Amy Gonzalez
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Middle/high school teachers and students
After reading and assessing essays, it became apparent that many students are confused about apostrophe rules. I read this book aloud to my 8th graders and most of them loved the illustrations. It was great to hear students laughing and clarifying what they know. However, unless this is taught in conjunction with another exercise around apostrophes, the students who struggle most with understanding grammar rules will still have a hard time understanding the visuals that go along with the sentenc ...more
Natalie
May 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Upper Elementary Teachers
Fun little book about the proper way to use apostrophes. I plan on using it in my lessons with the 5th graders next year.

The pictures were cute and the last page explains the nitty-gritty grammar. I thought some of the sentences were kind of a stretch, but it wasn't a big deal.

Dolly
Mar 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is another fun grammar book for children by Lynne Truss and Bonnie Timmons. In this book, they hilariously depict the difference an apostrophe makes in a sentence. Every time I find one of these books at our library, I make sure to borrow it right away - I love that the very complex lessons of English grammar are presented in a common sense and humorous way. If you enjoy this book, I also recommend Eats, Shoots & Leaves: Why, Commas Really Do Make a Difference! and Twenty-Odd Ducks: Why ...more
Harold Ogle
As I've grown older, I've become both more and less of a grammar nazi. After all, in high school I got in trouble for marking up the many mistakes in the school newspaper with red ink and tacking it to the staff's classroom door like Martin Luther's theses. I wouldn't do that sort of thing today, but at the same time I think I'm even more aware of grammar problems than I was then.

So this book is fun, as it presents some common mistakes with apostrophes (probably the most mis-used punctuation eve
J-Lynn Van Pelt
This book is a collection of contrasting pages where the pictures show how moving an apostrophe in a sentence can change the entire meaning. For instance, "The tiny cat's home" vs. "The tiny cats' home." It has strong examples and an introduction that talks about how important the apostrophe is for the English language. The book also simply explains the problem with its vs. it's. The back of the book also breaks down each page and how the apostophe grammatically affects the sentence.

The illustr
Wendee
Mar 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a hilarious illustration of why apostrophes matter. An excerpt: "Those smelly things are my brother's." with an illustration of a girl pointing to her brother's smelly sneakers. On the facing page, "Those smelly things are my brothers." with a picture of the same girl pointing to two stinky boys and her friends turning away with clothespins on their noses." Laugh out loud funny. And it drives the point home to kids--they'll love it!
Linda
I profess, English was not a popular subject for me when I was in school. As I got older, reading books opened a new world for me. But inaccurate grammar muddled sentences: in books, magazines, newspapers or on the internet.

One of the most common punctuation marks that I have had problems with is the apostrophe. Oh, not with contractions but using it to show ownership. Like "Ladies' lounge" vs. "Ladies lounge". It makes me pause, I have to think. "See the boys bat. See the boy's bat. See the bo
Erin
Jun 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Oh my goodness, I love this book so much! I admit that I have something of a reputation as the grammar police, mostly because good grammar just makes sense to me, so I don't understand why it's so hard for other people. This book is by the same author as "Eats, Shoots & Leaves"--another of my favorites.

What makes "The Girl's Like Spaghetti" so great is that it's a visual explanation of why apostrophes matter and how to use them. Plus Lynne Truss includes an introduction explaining the rules
Becky
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids age 8 right up through adulthood
Shelves: children-and-ya
I still haven't read Eats, Shoots, and Leaves, but I managed a quick read of this little gem that will entertain and educate adults as well as children.

Truss presents several sentences two ways -- with apostrophes appearing in different places each time. Each example of the sentence is illustrated. Imagine what "The Girl's Like Spaghetti" would look like, as opposed to "The Girls Like Spaghetti," and you get the idea. Hilarity ensues.

The book also features a brief, humorous introduction about th
Vaishni
Jan 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: january-2015
"The Girl's Like Spaghetti" is a book telling you the uses of using an apostrophe. Filled with funny illustrations, this book helps you understand the importance of using this symbol while writing. Lynne Truss wrote this book with a little bit of humor.

I picked up this book because I remember that in Grade 5, my teacher read a book written by this author. It was called "Eats, Shoots and Leaves". I really enjoyed that book so I wanted to read another book by her.

I finished this book with the sam
Zeb
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teachers and Parents.
Recommended to Zeb by: My grown up daughter
Any teacher or parent who wants to explain apostrophes in a memorable, fun way should get this awesome book. There is another one on commas by the same author/artist. Lynne Truss thought of numerous fun examples how commas or apostrophes in the wrong places make all the difference for meaning, and got the best illustrator to make it immediately clear what the difference is, as between: "the girls like spaghetti", or "the girl's like spaghetti". Or: "Student's refuse to go in the bin." or "Studen ...more
Jeanne
Oct 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!!!
Shelves: nonfiction, juvenile
Advertised as a "companion to the #1 best seller Eats, Shoots & Leaves," this is a book for children about the proper use of the apostrophe. It is awesome. It uses pictures to illustrate the difference between two statements, one of which uses an apostrophe, one of which doesn't. It is so simple, yet so helpful.

In a world filled with misused apostrophes (check out the signs in any neighborhood), The Girl's Like Spaghetti is a true gem. This should be required reading for everyone.

10/31/07
Jessica
Shelves: march
This book is a fun and creative way to teach about the importance of punctuation. The illustrations are perfect for this type of book. They are also essential if you are to understand the difference between the punctuations. That being said, I think that there were just a couple pictures where the meaning wasn't immediately clear. Overall though, it wasn't that big a deal. It just meant that you had to pay a little closer attention. This would be a great book to do some extension activities with ...more
Luann
Feb 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Lynne Truss and Bonnie Timmons show the importance of the apostrophe by pairing sentences such as "Those smelly things are my brother's," with "Those smelly things are my brothers," and then illustrating the difference in the meaning of the two sentences. I liked this, but I don't know how many students would understand the concepts on their own. I think this would be a great book for a teacher to use in a lesson on the many fuctions and the importance of apostrophes.
Beth Pearson
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this book!!! It is a great book for using if you are focusing on apostrophes. The pictures show the meaning of similar sentences with and without apostrophes. Using this book brings humor to reinforcing correct punctuation in writing for students and adults alike. The book includes the rules used to know when and where to use apostrophes. This is truly a fun way to learn punctuation.
Jessica
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 20-language-arts
Apostrophes can be a very tricky convention for students of all ages to use correctly. This book makes silly situation to teach the difference by mistakes in the simple sentence. This can be used to teach the correct use and improve their writing. Instead of a boring lesson on apostrophes, you can make it fun and more interactive lesson.
Daniel
Shelves: language-arts
I don't remember when I first learned about apostrophes, but I'm sure a book like this would help them make a lot of sense in a sentence when I was young. Like the other one about commas, this book compares sentences with and without apostrophes and shows what a difference they can make. After mastering apostrophes, you can make your own sentences to compare like the ones in the book.
David
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A truly cute book for teaching children the use of apostrophes. The plays on words actually made me laugh, and the illustrations are playful and fun. This is a nice, short, and silly resource for teaching punctuation.
Heidi Wong
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: language-arts
I like this book because it can truly help me to know how to use apostrophes.
honestly, it is quite confusing for children of this grammar thing.
however, its pictures and comparison help me to understand more.
I believe the children will learn it well also from it.
Andrew
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
An interesting take on how one can form their sentences and can be easily changed with a single apostrophe. Although the title may seem like a book for girls, it's appropriate for both genders and grades 2-5. A great for the grammar police.
Judy
Jan 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Anyone who teaches punctuation should have this on his/her shelves. The illustrations emphasize the importance of apostrophes. One of my nephews was a fan of humor in his early elementary years; I should have had this book then.
Elyse
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book made me really laugh because I can sometimes be grammar crazy! But grammar is so important because it can change the whole meaning of the sentence. It is a good book for students to learn. Also the pictures were funny as well!
Katrina Gray
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 20-language-arts
I think this is a good book to introduce by reading it with the children, and then allowing them to read through it on their own. It isn't very thorough about explaining some of the things, but I think with a little thinking and once its understood, it is clear.
Navneet Kaur
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was another attempt at hilariously communicating an important thing. But I liked the example of the comma book more, hence the single star deducted.
Philippa Reynolds
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As helpful to adults as to children!
Skruse08
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fun way to teach punctuation.
Lee Anne
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fun!
WKWyverns
4W heard this book talk first.
Jennifer Tucker Room 205
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous book! This and the others like it are great to assist with a clearer understanding of grammar rules.
  • Hairy, Scary, Ordinary: What Is an Adjective?
  • Punctuation Takes a Vacation
  • A Cache of Jewels and Other Collectible Nouns (World of Language)
  • Punctuation Celebration
  • Dear Deer: A Book of Homophones
  • Ubiquitous: Celebrating Nature's Survivors
  • Boycott Blues: How Rosa Parks Inspired a Nation
  • Looking Like Me
  • Worst of Friends: Thomas Jefferson, John Adams and the True Story of an American Feud
  • Freedom on the Menu: The Greensboro Sit-Ins
  • Our White House: Looking In, Looking Out
Lynne Truss is a writer and journalist who started out as a literary editor with a blue pencil and then got sidetracked. The author of three novels and numerous radio comedy dramas, she spent six years as the television critic of The Times of London, followed by four (rather peculiar) years as a sports columnist for the same newspaper. She won Columnist of the Year for her work for Women's Journal ...more