Start by marking “Love Is Love” as Want to Read:
Love Is Love

Love Is Love

3.24  ·  Rating details ·  51 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Published May 1st 2017 by Lorimer

To ask other readers questions about Love Is Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Is Love

Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny HanThe Hate U Give by Angie ThomasThe Upside of Unrequited by Becky AlbertalliBy Your Side by Kasie WestHistory Is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera
2017 YA contemporary
203 books — 568 voters
The Summoning by Kelley ArmstrongThe Gathering by Kelley ArmstrongStolen Songbird by Danielle L. JensenA Mortal Song by Megan CreweFalling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes
Canadian YA
390 books — 119 voters

More lists with this book...

Manon
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtqqiap, netgalley
I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Emmy, 17, is not doing great ever since her dad died. Her mom, remarried, is tired of dealing with her moods and sends her from Winnipeg to Vancouver where Emmy can live at her uncle’s. Emmy is not really getting along with her cousin, Paige, but when she meets Jude, a trans guy who’s a friend of Paige, she’s instantly smitten.

I liked Jude. But... I didn’t like Emmy, Paige, Emmy’s mother or anyone else… Except maybe Emmy’s uncl
Avery (Book Deviant)
See more of my reviews on my blog the Book Deviant

I would like to thank James Lorimer & Company for allowing me to have a copy of this book via NetGalley.

I have a bit to say about this book, so please be patient while I figure this out.

In truth, I was expecting this book to be much more harmful than what it was, based off the publisher provided summary on NetGalley and Goodreads. I knew this was going to be stuffed full of problems the moment I saw the cover and read the summary, and here's
Ben Ace
Jun 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley, lgbt, fiction
Content Warnings: Unnamed eating disorder, unnamed mood disorder, deadnaming, misgendering, alcohol/drug glorification, attempted rape, emotional abuse

The summary of this book sets it up to be such a good story, but it would be an understatement to say it fell flat for me. I wanted a story about a fat girl with anxiety loving a trans boy unconditionally, but instead I got a typical YA romance with two characters that have marginalized identities on the side. Emmy's mental health and abusive home
Dee

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect with this story and am glad I took a chance on it. It's told completely from 17-year-old Emmy's point of view, so the reader gets an inside to why she is down on herself. I felt for her, being a teenager sucks, lol.

Jude/Judy comes across as rather one-dimensional which was a little disappointing, I would've liked to know more about the struggles a transitioning teenager has to go through. With that said, I enjoyed the story nonetheless.

NOTE - I fe
FNM
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Originally Posted @https://nzfnmblog.wordpress.com/2017/...

When I first saw this book on NetGalley I immediately knew I wanted to read it from the title alone. Love is Love is a YA LGBTQ book about an overweight girl who moves to live with her Aunt and Uncle and her relationship with Jude, a transgender male who is friends with her cousin. There are a lot of things I liked about this book, it doesn’t shy away from any potential awkward conversations or situations, instead it tackles issues head
Darlene
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There should be many more books like this one.

I fell for this book on NetGalley from the title alone. It is something I believe in my soul. The blurb gave me more information as to what direction that love might be heading.

There are some who might not get it. But not only does this book cover an unusal love interest, it addresses all of our insecurities. I was surprised at how I still have many of the self-doubts that the main character has.

This is a book designed for the teen but works well fo
♚Julia ~ The Romance Rebels ♚
Love is Love by Mette Bach is my first (LGBT) novel I have ever read and I'm glad I stepped out of my comfort zone. Love is Love, no matter your race, religion or sex. No one should be judged with who your heart lies with.

This story begins with a young girl named Emmy, who is dating a boy that is bad news. Tired of being criticized she decides to move in with her aunt in Vancouver. Thus meeting Jude, a transgender man who Emmy met years ago but he was Judy.

Jude and Emmy fall for another, hard
Clémence
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, lgbtqiap
Actual rating: 3,5 stars.

I received an ARC of this book via NetGalley in exchange for a honest review. This doesn’t affect my thoughts in any way.

Warning:

I found that this book inluded a lot of body negativity and it made me sometimes really uncomfortable. It does end on a positive message, but if it is something that triggers you, you may want to stay away from it.

There are also some passages where Jude is misgendered, so again, if it’s something that triggers you, you might want to stay away.
Ankita Singh
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-books
Thanks(!) NetGalley for giving me a chance to read and review this book!

Short Blurb:

Overweight and unhappy at home, Emmy gets sexually involved with a popular classmate so that people will think that she is worth liking. When she realizes that he is just using her, she decides to leave her home in Winnipeg to stay with her uncle's family in Vancouver. Emmy has always been intimidated by her perfect cousin Paige and Paige's cool friends, so she is surprised to find that the coolest of them is tra
Sharon Metcalf
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, netgalley
The blurb caught my attention and the title Love Is Love appealed.      This was an easy read, finished in a couple of hours...more of a novella than a novel and possibly due to it's length the issues experienced by characters Emmy and Jude were not explored as fully as I'd have liked.

17 year old Emmy has a serious lack of confidence, poor self image, and she  doesn't feel she belongs anywhere.   After feuding with her mother one too many times she threatens to leave.   To her surpri
Jule
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I received a free copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is a romance novella about the relationship between an overweight insecure girl and a female-to-male trans*boy. While this sort of representation is always welcome and was well-done, the story failed to knock my socks of. 3,5/5 stars.

Again, the representation - both of the anxious, comfort-eating overweight Emmy with glasses, as well as the trans*boy Jude - was done well. There was understanding and healthy
Allie (alliembooks)
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it
For the most part, I really did enjoy this book. We follow Emmy as she is being sent off to her aunt and uncle's house to get away from her mom and her step-father in Winnipeg. Once with her aunt and uncle, she struggles to get along with her pretty, popular, and unnecessarily mean cousin, and meets a cute barista named Jude who is transgender. This book is extremely short, but it didn't feel rushed and there seemed to be plenty of time for development and a cohesive story arc. However, I did ha ...more
Adele
I received a copy of Love is Love by Mette Bach, from James Lorimer & Company via Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

This review may contain spoilers.

I was doubtful about my reading Love is Love. I honestly thought that I wouldn’t end up liking the book at all. However, I gave it a chance and the one thing that surprised me the most about this book was its length; Love is Love is only about 176 ebook pages.

The beginning of Love is Love wasn’t so hot. I actually found it to be quit
Idris
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received an e-arc of Love Is Love by Mette Bach from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Review to come.

+_+

(ETA: Review on 07.29.2017)

I've vacillated between giving this two and three stars. I'll settle on three for the moment, just know that my preferred rating is 2.5 stars.

I had a feeling from page one that this book wasn't going to be my cup of tea. Not because of the trans guy love interest (I was and am excited about that), but because Emmy is anything but scintillating as far a
Nathan Albright
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge2017

Novels, particularly short novels like this one, are not logical arguments, but this particular book, whatever one may feel about its "moral," demonstrates the sort of emotional reasoning that is common among the young people to whom this book is aimed.  The two romantic leads in this book are immensely appealing and relatable, and many of the other characters are not.  This may rightly be the account of stacking the deck.  Certainly it does not appear as if this is a fair and balanced character
Paul Hamilton
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I received an advance copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for feedback and review.

I pulled this book from NetGalley kind of on a lark. It was programmatically recommended to me as a YA romance novel and while not a common genre I read in, the synopsis sounded intriguing. I sat down while my kids were drifting off to sleep, expecting to read maybe one or two pages just to get a sense of the book. By the time they were snoring I was well over halfway through.

At first I couldn't figure why
Holly Claxton
This review contains mild spoilers for the book. Please read with caution.

I received a digital copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book was very hard to get through for me. While the cover and summary caught my attention, reading the contents proved to be a struggle. For a lot of different reasons, Love is Love just did not work for me.

While reading, I couldn’t help feeling like the version I’d been given was a draft, something that needed to be revised again. T
Isaiah
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I got an ARC in return for an honest review on NetGalley.

I requested this book because there are still very few YA books where a transman is one of the leads. It is especially rare when the book is from the perspective of the straight girl that is interested in him. So I was beyond stoked to read this book, but as always I had really low expectations as I am used to books about transmen or having a transmale character being pretty terrible.

This book blew my expectations out of the water. I am re
Jolie
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love is Love is one of those books that I actually ugly cried too. It is also a book where a character that was so unlikable in the beginning of the book did a miraculous thing and became likable towards the end. I also finished Love is Love within one night. I started it with every intention of putting it down after an hour and going to sleep (I read in bed) and I ended up staying up and finishing the book. This book is that good.

I couldn’t stand Emmy at the beginning of the book. She wants to
Andrea
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: anglés, godi-gsrdi
I'm not sure if I'll end up changing the rating to a 2 but I'm still thinking about it.

There are things that are really interesting about the story. The first thing that is worth mentioning is that the main character is fat and has an eating disorder. This is important to see in young adult literature because fat people are rarely represented in books in a positive light. The second thing that should be mentioned is that the romantic interest is a trans boy, who is misgendered a couple of times
Eve
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Emmy is dating Ty, a guy her friends Tiana and Michelle along with her mum and subsequently her stepfather, don't approve of because of him being bad news. Emmy can't take their criticism anymore and decides to stay with her aunt, cousin and uncle, back in Vancouver where her dad was previously before he passed away.

Whilst out there, she unexpectedly finds herself falling for Jude a transgender man whom she met briefly years before by her cousin Paige when he was still Judy.

The two's relationshi
Samantha
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Note: I received an eARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review!

I liked this book, quite a lot actually. It was just very short, and I feel like it could have been really great if the content was expanded upon. It's nice just to see a well represented trans character in a YA book though, who has themselves at least somewhat together and knows the person they want to be and are striving for that.

Emmy was an interesting MC, but I wanted to know more about her past. We're thro
Daniela W
Aug 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: do-not-read
This book couldn't work.

Its 176 pages long and we've got a character who needs to learn to accept herself, needs to learn to trust her love interest, falls in love with said love interest and then have a lot of drama and resolve everything? How should that be possible? But I wanted to give it a chance. Maybe it could have worked out?

I've re read the description... I can't remember the trap of casual sex? And again? Was there anything in it about casual sex? But let's start at the beginning.

There
Kelley
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This story begins with a young girl named Emmy, who is dating a boy that is bad news. Her mother is tired of of dealing with Emmy and ships her off to her uncle and aunt in Vancouver. As a teenager, Emmy has a lot of emotional issues and only views herself in a negative way. Through her cousin, she meets Jude,a transgender man who Emmy met years ago but he was Judy.

Jude and Emmy fall for another, hard and fast. But insecurities
Tainah Rodrigues
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, lgbtqia
E-ARC PROVIDED BY NETGALLEY AND THE PUBLISHER

This book it's probably my favorite read of 2017 so far.

I could relate so much with the way Emmy thinks about being fat, and the melancholy of the characters, and having anxiety, and Jude! Can't talk about representation in this part of the novel, but I loved him so much!
This was fluffy, sweet romance that made me cry as well as smile so much while reading it. I highly recommend it and can't wait for the physical book to be available so I can hug it
Amanda Stelter
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs
*I received this book for review from NetGalley for my honest review*

I'm going to be bluntly honest here. I didn't like this book. I gave it two stars because it was a quick read and I'm sure there are people who would enjoy this.

To me, it was rushed and there wasn't a chance for me to get to know the characters and feel for them. I felt nothing for the characters and I felt nothing for the relationship. I appreciate the diversity in it but I just didn't like it.

I can appreciate why people li
Kathleen
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Mentions of homelessness and familial displacement, trans love interest, fat girl main character; back blurb mentions school rumors about her sexual experience, but in the text her mom sends her off to her aunt and uncle's and there's no mention of rumors. Also, there's a hint that Emmy's dad may have been trans as well, but it's a thread that gets dropped too quickly.
Elizabeth/Ayana
I honestly really liked the idea of the book, but there was just parts of it I did not enjoy as much, and I wish it was longer or had more content.
Just_me
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt, ya-books
A sweet love story. Sadly it's to short to be written with much character and depth.
JulySolis 10 Goederen
Dec 01, 2017
Cover 2 4 Jun 22, 2017 10:35PM

Young Adult Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • American Street
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wish
    $5.67 $2.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Wednesday Wars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Three Times Lucky
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Small Rain: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Master Magician (The Paper Magician, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Compound (The Compound, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99