Start by marking “King's Sacrifice (Star of the Guardians, #3)” as Want to Read:
King's Sacrifice (Star of the Guardians, #3)

King's Sacrifice (Star of the Guardians #3)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  1,241 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
The spellbinding conclusion to the star-spanning saga of adventure and intrigue. At the end of King's Test, Sagan--the man who overthrew Dion's father--pledged his allegiance to Dion as the new king. Now, Dion battles alien and human enemies, and must give up both his lover and one of his men as he learns what it truly means to be king.
Mass Market Paperback, 528 pages
Published October 1st 1991 by Spectra

To ask other readers questions about King's Sacrifice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King's Sacrifice

G.M.
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite books and one of my Top 5 Book Series!
Lauren Beck
May 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
The first book of this series was incredibly slow, but it picked up enough towards the end to motivate me to read the second book. The second book was amazing, and I breezed through it in a matter of days only to eagerly pick up this. My thoughts on this book: Margaret Weiss has failed me. I've loved everything I've read by her until Star of the Guardians. King's Sacrifice was complete sludge and was only interesting for maybe seventy pages. The only reason I didn't give up on it was that I enjo ...more
Martina Sanjaya
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm rather disappointed with this book. Some things were too easy. Like how Abdiel finally died, like how Maigrey called Sagan back to life. Given all the exhausting planning, horrifiying obstacles, and elaborated drama, I expected more than just - that. Anyway, still a good ending of a trilogy after all. And I'm curious how the Goddess worship would commence side by side with the God's faith, which were not explained. Will continue to book 4.
Xitron
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've read the first 3 of this "Star of the Guardians" series by Margaret Weis, and I've loved them! I've read them twice.

I just learned today that there is a fourth book, and I promptly bought it for my Kindle. I'll start reading it today!
Graham
Nov 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I read the Star of the Guardians trilogy for the first time when I was 17 years old - I had NO idea how much it subtly introduced new ideas into my life.

The book list that one of the main characters, Maigrey, works through in part of the book, is one of the reasons I went on to become a book reader myself - Weiss used Sci Fi to open my mind to the world of books out there!

To this day, Charles Dickens is one of my favourite authors... not because he was one of Maigrey's favourites, I've grown to
Jim
Jan 23, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a fine conclusion to a good trilogy. I like it when authors can put a definite end to a story.

I normally associate these authors with fantasy, but this is a really fun space opera trilogy. A bit depressing, though. Still, lots of action with blood swords & blood space ships - only those of a specific breeding or something can operate these super weapons. If you liked Simon R. Green's Deathstalker series, you'd probably like this which predates it, although only by a decade or so, as
Shana
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
If you like space opera at all, you have got to try this series. It is pretty much amazing!

Sagan and the priest Daniel go to the former Academy to meet with Sagan's father, who is dying. Sagan has a feeling that he walking into a trap. Meanwhile, Dion wants to be king, but in order to become king, he finds that he must make the ultimate sacrifice.

I thought this series was out of print, but I recently found it for sale in the Kindle store. I was so excited to find it available. When you reach th
Alexander Draganov
Apr 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Great ideas and setting, painfully slow-moving plot. Kinda like book one really - the second one deceived me that there is a vast improvement in the series, but alas, we were back with the infodump for every freaking episodic character and zero action policy. Not for me!
Stephen Schneider
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this series eons ago because I liked the Dragonlance novels that Ms. Weis helped author. I remember liking this series but couldn't really remember the story. This time around I still enjoyed it but not as much as the Dragonlance series.
Greymalkin
Feb 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
Bradley
Dec 22, 2009 rated it liked it
So-so. I could not quite get into the groove of this story. Well-written but not my cup of tea.
Dchavez06
Dec 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
(see book 1)
Robert
Apr 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Good, but really slowed down toward the ending. RIP Sparafucile.
RogueHireling
Dec 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is the reason to read the whole series. Its gripping.
Still not what I would call a happy story, it being an exercise in everyone losing, but I found it quite compelling.
Todd
Oct 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I enjoy Weis's writing.
Alina
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Maigrey Morianna is one of my all-time favorite characters.
Matthew
Aug 24, 2012 rated it liked it
good conclusion to the story.
Sunny
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Most recent (third?) re-read.
Anna
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished as part of the #tbrtakedown readathon.
Beatrice
Jul 30, 2008 rated it liked it
This was the best of the trilogy, but still felt like a mediocre book. I never felt like I connected with or cared for the characters.
David Miller
Sep 16, 2013
Gabriel Carbó
rated it it was ok
Dec 11, 2012
  • Worlds of Honor (Worlds of Honor, #2)
  • Alien Blood: Psion / Catspaw (Cat, #1-2)
  • Robotech: The Macross Saga: Doomsday (Robotech #4-6)
  • Forbidden Magic (The Godwars, #1)
  • Beyond Varallan (Stardoc, #2)
  • Freedom Flight (Wing Commander, #1)
  • Rogue Star (Firestar, #2)
  • Relic of Empire (Forbidden Borders, #2)
  • The Genesis Machine
  • Fisherman's Hope (Seafort Saga, #4)
  • The Chosen (The General, #6)
  • Berserker's Planet (Berserker, #3)
  • Pirates of the Thunder (Rings of the Master, #2)
  • Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)
  • There Is No Darkness
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para ...more
More about Margaret Weis...

Star of the Guardians (4 books)
  • The Lost King (Star of the Guardians, #1)
  • King's Test (Star of the Guardians, #2)
  • Ghost Legion (Star of the Guardians, #4)
“Well, I guess we’re off, like a herd of mad turtles as my dad used to say.” 0 likes
“Out in space, the pulsar flashed, once every two seconds; reminded Dixter of the knowing wink of some gigantic eye. The” 0 likes