Start by marking “L'Arabe du futur 3 : Une jeunesse au Moyen-Orient, 1985-1987” as Want to Read:
L'Arabe du futur 3 : Une jeunesse au Moyen-Orient, 1985-1987

L'Arabe du futur 3 : Une jeunesse au Moyen-Orient, 1985-1987

(L'Arabe du futur #3)

Dans le premier tome publié en 2014 et qui couvre la période 1978-1984, le petit Riad est ballotté, de sa naissance à ses six ans, entre la Libye, la Bretagne et la Syrie.

Le deuxième tome, paru en 2015, raconte sa première année d’école en Syrie (1984-1985).

Dans ce troisième tome (1985-1987), après avoir suivi son mari en Libye puis en Syrie, la mère de Riad ne supporte pl
Published October 6th 2016 by Allary Éditions

Carol
I am a fan of the Arab of the Future series, a series of graphic novel memoirs, each focusing on 2 - 3 years (book 3 focuses on 1985 -87) of Riad Sattouf's childhood in Syria, Libya and France. He does a fine job of balancing humor with several serious topics and experiences. If you know that Sattouf's mother was French, he now lives in Paris and was an occasional contributor to Charlie Hebdo, you may have a better sense of how he approaches telling his life experiences, especially his grade sch ...more
Sam Quixote
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-comics-2018
Riad Sattouf’s outstanding memoir series, The Arab of the Future, continues in this great third book which covers 1985-87. His mother becomes pregnant with her third child, Riad tries fasting for Ramadan for the first (and last!) time, and the question of circumcision rears its, ahem, head…

Though I enjoyed this book, I didn’t think it was as good as either of the previous two volumes, probably because there wasn’t enough new things going on. Riad’s school-life in Syria carries on as before, he
David Schaafsma
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third volume of Sattouf's memoir of growing up in the eighties in France and Syria with a Syrian father and a French mother who met in France while his father was earning a PhD. Riad is young, and his brother is younger, as they live in corrupt and chaotic small town Syria with few resources. Mom is ready to take off, she has so had it with Dad who seems less smart than passive and naive. The tone is really almost black comedy, their life there is so absurd.

Some remarkable moments:

*Riad's
Tatiana
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite way of learning about foreign countries is, by far, via reading graphic memoirs or travelogues. I've read Marjane Satrapi, Guy Delisle, Thi Bui, but Riad Satouff I like best. I think it's the humor that attracts me the most. In someone else's hands this would be a dark and dreadful tale of personal woe, but in his - it is funny and, by way of his father's occasional lectures, informative.

The terrain of this installment is familiar - Riad lives in Syria with his family, and his recoll
Didi
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lovers of graphic memoirs
I don't know what to say but this series is a must read if you haven't started yet. The saga continues.... and I can't wait for vol. 4.
Eric Anderson
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third part of Sattouf's graphic memoir begins when Riad is seven years old and living in a small village in Syria. While reading Parts 1 & 2 in this series, I've grown increasingly distressed about the uncomfortable position his mother's been cornered into living in a crumbling home with two small children far from her native France and in a culture very different from her own. Added to this is the father’s increasing stubbornness, reactionary views and snobbishness. It’s not surprising ...more
Sebastien
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic autobiographical series. Loving it. Very nicely written, wonderful touches of humor, charming. Interesting insights cataloguing what it's like to live between two cultures. I experienced this but not to the same degree as Riad who lived and belonged to two cultures that had greater gulfs between them. Also love being able to peek through the window via the storytelling to get a feel of what its like growing up in the Middle East.

Particularly loved his bit on the "Tooth Mouse," which is
Rod Brown
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series has won me over.

So much about Sattouf's childhood in Syria is alien and unpleasant to me. Adults treat children, animals and each other cruelly. Living conditions seem squalid at times. Corruption is rampant. And above all else, Sattouf's father is a narcissistic ass.

So much of this book is infuriating, but it is told in a captivating manner that kept me turning pages.

Somehow, Sattouf manages in his portrayal to make his father a lovable narcissistic ass. And though I wouldn't want
Rachel
Honestly, if you haven’t read The Arab of the Future, now is the time to start. Riad Sattouf was born to a French mother and Syrian father, spending much of his childhood growing up in the Middle East- these are his stories. The illustrations are simple, yet consistent, with writing that can run the gamut from humorous to disheartening, but always feeling honest, nonetheless. After three volumes, I feel like I really know these people and genuinely care about what direction their lives will turn ...more
Cecilebe
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
J'ai peut-être un peu moins aimé que les deux premiers parce qu'un tantinet moins drôle. On arrive à quelque chose de plus dur et difficile, c'est tout aussi bien, on reste dans l'honnêteté. Ceci dit, là, on sent que Riad Sattouf est en train de nous amener à quelque chose, qu'il prépare le terrain. À nouveau très hâte de lire la suite.
Stewart Tame
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness …what a place to end the book! I certainly did not see that coming.

The Arab of the Future books are some of the most highly entertaining autobiographical graphic novels around. Sattouf has a fine cartoony style going, and a real gift for portraying events without weighing them down with too much editorial baggage. He keeps the story focused on what seven year old Riad thought of events then rather than what forty year old Riad thinks about them now.

I’m still fascinated by the port
Marc
May 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Sattouf just follows his autobiographical chronology: in this third part he describes the period 1985-1987 and still the little Riad lives with his parents and brother in a remote Syrian village, full of "backward" habits, and still his father keeps on promising that they wait for a big future, but more and more the little Riad notices that a lot of things just are not right. Again, the illustrator Sattouf gives a lot of pedagogical explanations about Islam, about the strange habits in the count ...more
Julie
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Toujours aussi bon. Lu (presque) d'une traite (encore). J'ai beaucoup d'affection pour ces personnages. Quelle vie, franchement !
Elizabeth A
This is the third installment in this graphic memoir series, and while not as good as the first two, there is still much here I loved.

This installment covers 1985-1987, and we pick up where the last volume left off. Riad is 7 as the book opens, and this is really a character study of the life and times of this biracial/bi-cultural kid. The family has settled in Dad's home town of Ter Maaleh, Syria. Riad is in school, his Dad works at the university, his younger brother and Mom stay at home. Whil
Ignacio
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
El anterior volumen me había dejado un poco mosca con el tonillo de superioridad cultural en algunas situaciones que en este me ha parecido más atenuadas, sobre todo con ese breve viaje a la Francia rural que permite contrastar ciertos hábitos y posiciones. El personaje del padre sigue valiéndose por sí mismo para sacar adelante el relato, bien acompañado de esas estampas cotidianas donde el niño va a la escuela, juega con sus amigos y descubre (algunos) iconos culturales de los 80 en un lugar t ...more
Matheus Gonçalves
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A parte em que o Riad assiste Conan com os primos é um daqueles trechos que nunca vão sair da memória. Quando falarem desse livro daqui 20 anos vou instantaneamente lembrar disso.

Acho que cheguei no ápice das minhas leituras de 2018 [2]
The Sporty  Bookworm
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Pas mal. Un peu moins drôle que les deux premiers. J'imagine que c'est normal, on s'habitue un peu.
Louise
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: france, man-writer
Mon préféré des trois, peut-être parce que je me suis enfin fait à l'univers absurde et cynique du petit Riad. J'ai accepté que la mère soit si passive, le père si fantasque et pathétique, et la réalité tout sauf reluisante dans ces pays qui se proclamaient alors modernistes. Petit à petit le petit Riad découvre les faux semblants de la vie de son père, et appuie là où ça fait mal, avec beaucoup d'humour. Je suis curieuse de voir comment les choses vont évoluer pour cette famille dépassée par le ...more
Salomão Diniz
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Acho que todo mundo que chega no volume 3 de um livro é porque gostou dele, então não preciso dizer que gosto do árabe do futuro. Alguns reviews negativos acusam Riad de uma visão preconceituosa, distorcida e que Riad Sattouf tem uma visão bastante egocêntrica. Acho a série bastante divertida e traz uma visão da cultura e política local com algum embasamento histórico, mas é bom ter sempre em mente que não é um livro de história e sim a percepção de uma criança sobre o mundo a sua volta. Se você ...more
Cristiana de Sousa
É sem duvida uma maravilhosa história autobiográfica. Este terceiro volume foi fantástico! Ver pelo olhar de uma criança de 6 anos, filha de mãe europeia e pai sírio, a confusão que é ter que se adaptar a duas culturas tão diferentes é fascinante! Adorei simplesmente e estou desejosa de conhecer mais aventuras.
Mateen Mahboubi
This is one of my favourite series going on right now but I have to admit being slightly disappointed with this one. Seems like it's all a set up for the end, we just get to see a lot more of dad behaving badly and mom getting more and more frustrated but it was missing that extra charm that we got in previous volumes.
Zoe's Human
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lt
As with the first two books, I find myself both fascinated and disturbed. I recognize a sort of cultural similarity between patriarchal societies and impoverished communities around the world. I have a year to go before 4 comes out in English. I'm deeply curious how the rest of his childhood went.
Hannah Garden
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Damn, these books just really do it for me. Fingers crossed he writes at least seven more.
Iago
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Como siempre Riad Sattouf lo hace todo tan simple, hace que todo cuadre y fluya con tanta naturalidad, que se goza de la lectura a la fuerza. En este tercer volumen continúa la historia, sobre todo en Siria. Con curiosidades, buenas historias, y centrándonos en los dos personajes principales de esta historia Riad y su padre.
Hermosa historia de un padre y un hijo, tan natural, tan bien relatada, que vuelve a ser pura magia dentro de un comic.
Sophie V.
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Read books 1, 2 and 3 back to back. Absolutely fantastic! I can’t wait for the next one. These books are full of insights, funny and incredibly well told. Each country is represented by a colour. Riad is a very endearing little boy and the story told through his eyes and memories (also of smells) is fascinating!
Christoph
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Große Erwartungen, welche hier mehr als ausreichend von der Vorfreude unterstützt werden. Riad hat aber auch exzellente Vorarbeit mit Band 1 und Band 2 geleistet. Sein Erzählstil und seine abenteuerliche Biographie lassen einen nicht mehr los - nicht nur, wenn man in dieser Zeit selbst aufgewachsen ist und trotz jugendlichen Jahren die Konflikte und vorherrschenden Situationen im Nahen Osten medial mitbekommen hat. Riad vervollständigt das Bild auf sehr persönliche Art und Weise ...

... und führt
Wayne McCoy
'The Arab of the Future 3: A Childhood in the Middle East, 1985-1987' with story and art by Riad Sattouf is a memoir of the author's childhood. This is the 3rd volume and takes place mostly in Syria.

In a story that has more humor than I was expecting, Riad talks about growing up in Syria with his family. There are stories about his mother constantly trying to get his father to move to France, where she is from. Riad's school seems pretty harsh, with the school master asking the boys to bring in
Katie Peach
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I absolutely loved the first two volumes in this series and was so excited to read the third! I've never read graphic novels until this series and I've found that I've learned a lot about the culture and the events of the Middle East during the 1980s from this series. I've never read graphic novels and this series has made me want to find more graphic novels that explain history and other cultures.

The third volume was just as funny and well-written as the first two. I love the illustrations and
Dakota Morgan
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Arab of the Future is often bleak and devastating, but it's also never anything less than fascinating. Corruption, brutality, religious nonsense, and Conan the Barbarian all feature prominently in this third volume. Sattouf's father is still a painfully complex character who completely takes over the story every time he appears. His pro-slavery history of Saudi Arabia is a particular stand-out. I'll admit: I can't wait for Sattouf's family to make it to France just so they can have a (possib ...more
Marsha Altman
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, comics, history
I've enjoyed this series more and more as I've gotten to know the people in the author's childhood and I hope this isn't the last one. It is fascinating to watch how the marriage of his parents is affected over time by their difficult life in Syria, as his Syrian father becomes more traditional and connected to his family and his mother yearns for her French roots and is tired of being ignored. The narrative meanders a little, but it's worth it.
  • La tête la première (Blast, #3)
  • Quai d'Orsay. Chroniques diplomatiques, tome 2
  • Zaï zaï zaï zaï
  • Mauvais genre
  • Celui qui part (Les vieux fourneaux, #3)
  • Qinaya (L'adoption #1)
  • Polina
  • Le Paradis terrestre (Le chat du Rabbin, #4)
  • La légèreté
  • L'Orme du Caucase
  • La Différence invisible
  • La foire aux immortels (Nikopol #1)
  • Come prima
  • Aya de Yopougon, Tome 5 (Aya, #5)
  • Peter Pan #2 : Opikanoba
  • Péplum
  • Paul Has a Summer Job
Riad Sattouf est l’auteur de nombreuses bandes dessinées, parmi lesquelles Retour au collège, Pascal Brutal (Fauve d’or 2010) ou La vie secrète des jeunes. Les beaux gosses, César du meilleur premier film ; Jacky au royaume des filles)

L'Arabe du futur (4 books)
  • The Arab of the Future: A Childhood in the Middle East, 1978-1984: A Graphic Memoir
  • L'Arabe du futur 2 : Une jeunesse au Moyen-Orient, 1984-1985