Start by marking “The House of Five Fortunes (Bold Women of the 19th Century #3)” as Want to Read:
The House of Five Fortunes (Bold Women of the 19th Century #3)

The House of Five Fortunes

(Bold Women of the 19th Century #3)

For readers who like historical fiction with a bit of a love story.

While Xiu peddled pipe dreams, a nightmare was waiting.
Published August 28th 2016 by Lillis and Jaymes

To ask other readers questions about The House of Five Fortunes, please sign up.
Amanda Hughes Hi Cindy,
Hi Cindy,
All of my books are completely stand-alone. The only common thread that makes them a series is that they are always novels about bold women in the past.(less)

Jane Silhouette
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'The House Of Five Fortunes' by Amanda Hughes.

Synopsis: While Xiu peddled pipe dreams, a nightmare was waiting. Sensual and exotic, San Francisco’s Chinatown in the 1870's was filled with temptation and greed. Raised in this quagmire of vice, Xiu Jung caters to wealthy thrill-seekers with her elegant opium den, The House of Five Fortunes. With the help of Madison Hayes, the illustrious actor, she makes it the most fashionable salon on the West Coast. But a string of murders is sweepi
Chele Kispert
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amanda Hughes, to quote your own bio, "she spends more time in heroic daydreams than in the real world." This, I believe. In another of her fabulous tales, she takes us to 19th century Chinatown, San Francisco. She keeps the tale so interesting, that it just makes you go, "oh man, that's the end?" when you finish it. I had a hard time putting it down to go to bed. I wanted to finish. But am disappointed that it's complete.

As a fan of historical everything, and with Amanda's writing style, she k
AF Michael
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is my first reading of any book authored by Amanda Hughes. I am so NOT sorry to have read one of her works. This book was magnificent. Filled with texture, color, character studies with a plot that is twisted, intricate with things that will surprise you along the way and satisfy you at the end. This book is worth reading and it is a book I will read again and again.

You will be touched by Xiu, astounded by Madison and Nuan and fall in love with them and others as they are braided in and ou
Sunhawk
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Best forgotten.
Amazon has invented a new genre, and this is a pretty good exemplar: the cheap serial bodice ripper. I guess it keeps certain ladies busy cranking, but I wish they'd (1) write what they know or do their research thoroughly, and (2) get someone literate to give them a critical read. This book, while telling an interesting, if marginally believable, story (assuming one knows some San Francisco and Western Geography and Railroad History), has just enough annoying bits that the
Stanley McShane
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This carefully crafted and well-researched narrative regarding the Chinese community in San Francisco 1867-1876 tells the story of Xiu Jung, the eldest of the two Chinese children of her foster parents Day. Xiu (she-you) was often called upon to help with her two younger siblings, her own sister Lei, and Peter, an issue of both the pastor and Dolly Day.

Her mother had set up a thriving business and when Xiu lost both foster parents, took over raising her sister and brother as well as the work in
Linda
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recommend the book.
This book opened slowly but midway gathered steam making the last pages interesting. The author's writing mechanics were excellent. There were times when I thought she was spending too time on throwaway characters and events, but she connected everything in the end. The book is chiefly about a Chinese woman living in San Francisco in the latter years of the nineteenth century. The history of that era is a perfect backdrop for an otherwise romance novel. I liked reading
Sabrina Sellers
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was amazing. I hope the others in the series are as good. From what I understand, each book has a different set of characters and a different protagonist. This one is about a young Chinese girl, adopted by Americans when she was young, who grows up in 1800's San Francisco, when many Chinese were brought to America to work on the railroads. The story is rich in history and color, and describes the anti-Chinese sentiment in the city then, and the rags-to-riches-to-rags story of the prota ...more
Julie
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
A good read

This is a solid story and overall I enjoyed reading The House of Five Fortunes.
I loved the cast of strong female characters, and wish they could have been even stronger, but I will allow that for the time period of the book it makes sense and was fitting.
I would have given it a higher rating if it had lived up to its potential a bit more. Parts of the plot felt disjointed or too abrupt and it just needed to flow more smoothly. Minimal errors in the editing as well.
Marescha
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Note : I got this book for free

I stopped reading halfway chapter three because I just couldn't get with the writing style. It's not bad, it just kept reminding me that I was reading a book instead of tagging along with a character. There was a lot of telling, and the telling was often tidbits that either didn't need to be mentioned or were things that a 10yo protaganist probably wouldn't know.

I didn't give it one star because the parts I read weren't awful, I just couldn'
Ann Marie Curry
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Four stars!!

This was a very busy story..... Xui and Madison finally getting away from the insanity of Chinatown. It was an enjoyable story even though a bit convoluted. I recommend this to anyone that enjoys a suspenseful love story.
Weiping Yin
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
fine story and good writting

Read like a chapter of Amy Tan’s book, vivid characters, lovable personality and interesting story. At least, the author didn’t try to over describe Chinese culture and society.
Rachel Cacek
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fast-paced tale of the gold-rush era.

Very original. A fast- moving story, believable, full of excitement, intrigue and treachery. Added to all of this, realistic characters with a historical wild-west background. A great read.
Amy Samin
Nov 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
Note to self: you stopped reading this book less than halfway through because you were not enjoying it. Don’t start reading it again - life is too short.
Magil
Aug 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
The story started out interesting, then deteriorated to a predictable romance.
Jeannette Modesto
Jul 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The novel started with a very interesting plot but it lost it's place after the trip to the mountains. I did not even bother to finish the book even though I was 30 pages from the end.
Pauline Spearman
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
really enjoyed this book
I really enjoyed th I book
Nancy
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This story of an Chinese woman making her way in San Francisco was historic in its anti-Chinese sentiment and Tong power descriptions. Ultimately, it was a love story involving trust and acceptance.
Angela
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An easy enough read, enjoyable, but one star off for being unbelievable.
Julie
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Good read, easy. Enjoy the period of history depicted and characters were decently developed.
Robyn Echols
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Intriguing Story

A good story that held my interest. Lots of action in spite of the passive voice. Enjoyed the characters and descriptions.
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
2.75
Parts of this good, and a lot of disjointed, far-fetched, random stories. Just didn’t hang together all that well.
Gail
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed all of Ms. Hughes "Bold Women"books. Each one is fresh and different and filled with 3 dimensional, interesting characters that bring her stories to life. Much of this one takes place in China Town in San Francisco and has lots of action.
Madz8591
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic! Such a great read!!!
Highly recommended. :)
Aug 23, 2018
Norma Stanley
Oct 22, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Equal of God: Book 1 An Irish Family Saga: An Irish Family Saga Before and After the Irish Famine
  • Mercer Street (American Journey, #2)
  • Winter's Bite
  • Twice Upon A Time (The Celtic Legends, #1)
  • The Hostage of Glenorchy (Highland Ballad #1)
  • The Inventor (Penny Green #4)
  • The Lyon Affair (The Indigo Rebels #2)
  • The Field of Reeds (Imhotep #4)
  • Secrets and Lies (A Dewey Webb Mystery Book 3)
  • Secrets to Reveal (Highland Wolves #1)
  • Moonstone Obsession (Moonstone Romance, #1)
  • God's Lions - The Dark Ruin
  • Awaken the Sleeping Heart (Children of Graistan Book 1)
  • Cat and Mouse
  • A Rebel without a Rogue (The Penningtons, #1)
  • Lost with a Lord (Ravishing Regencies, #1)
  • Secrets to a Gentleman's Heart (Gentlemen of Intrigue, #1)
  • The Templar's Cross

Bold Women of the 19th Century (3 books)
  • The Grand Masquerade (Bold Women of the 19th Century, #1)
  • Vagabond Wind (Bold Women of the 19th Century, #2)