Start by marking “Long Knife” as Want to Read:
Long Knife

Long Knife

Two centuries ago, with the support of the young Revolutionary government, George Rogers Clark led a small but fierce army west from Virigina to conquer all the territory between the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. Here is the adventure, the romance, the struggle, and the betrayal of his life. Rich in the heroic characters, meticulously researched detail and grand scale that ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 512 pages
Published June 1st 1994 by Ballantine Books (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Long Knife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Long Knife

Mary JL
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Historical Fiction and History
Shelves: fiction-classics
This is an excellent, well-written and enjoyable historical novel. It tells of the years from 1777 to 1779, when George Rogers Clark played a pivotal role in defending the norwestern Colonies during the Revolutionary War.

While the battles were going on along the Atlantic Coast, the British were also trying to gain a foothold in the NorthWest Territories. They had forts in Detroit, in Kaskaskia,Illinois and Vincennes, Indiana. Of course, these were not states then--they were all together referred
Justin
This was a fantastic book. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's made all the better that the author was scrupulous in sticking to known history. Highly recommended.
Meg
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written, exquisitely detailed- historical fiction at its best. This is a side of the American Revolution that I knew little about. The story of George Rogers Clark captivated me. I was awed by this commitment and integrity and passion for defending Virginia and the fledgling colonies against England, as he strove to take over British forts in the Midwest. His efforts to treat the natives with respect and dignity provided were inspiring, Here is a real hero! And he was so young. It ga ...more
Amy
Jan 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fascinating! This is a good read about a very inspiring hero. I had never given much thought to this part of American History. Great fictional love story mixed in with the true stuff too.
Amber
Apr 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I learned that there are so many more poeple in our history than what we learned about in school. George Rogers Clark is the older brother of William Clark of the Lewis and Clark expedition.
Paul Peterson
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
All Americans should know more about George Rogers Clark. He lead the fight against the British west of the Allegheny Mountains in just his mid-twenties. He also turned down the chance to lead the Lewis & Clark expedition (replaced by his younger brother, William) to see those efforts through to the end. Spent the rest of his adult life in financial ruin because the pencil-pushers in DC didn't open the boxes of receipts & vouchers he had presented for payment until after his death (typic ...more
Kelly
Apr 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of historical fiction, history buffs, anyone
Recommended to Kelly by: Read author's other books
AMAZING! I don't know which order you should read these books in...but I read 'From Sea To Shining Sea' first and completely fell in love with the history, the Rogers Clark family, etc. and was so saddened when the book ended. I was so affected by that book that I wrote the author, himself, to tell him what a wonderful piece of work I thought 'From Sea To Shining Sea' was. The author informed me that this book was not the end of the story. He had also written 'Long Knife' which fills in a lot of ...more
Eileen
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This historical novel is based on the life of George Rogers Clark, a soldier and frontiersman during the Revolutionary War (and brother to the Clark of Lewis & Clark fame). What an amazing man George was--principled, courageous, honorable, and devoted to family, friends and country. His physical strength and fortitude, and that of his soldiers, was almost unbelievable. Thom's writing style is engaging and the story is gripping, with plenty of action and fascinating characters. This book real ...more
Jacque
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This book took a LONG time to read. It was not one I could read at night to fall asleep without having to reread to know what was happening. It was a very informative book. I had actually never heard of George Rogers Clark, but I should have because he was a brilliant soldier that played a vital role in the American Revolution. The only part of this book that I didn't love was the love affair between Clark and Teresa de Lebya which was the most embellished part of the story. Overall a good ...more
Jim
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic Novel

This is one of the best historical novels I have ever read.It is well written and tells the story of one of America's earliest heroes in great detail. The author has done a wonderful job of telling the story of George Rogers Clark.
Robert Melton
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Covered history

GRC a great soldier so mistreated by government, it could be a story written today. Enjoy some real history now.
Paul
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent work of historic fiction. The author can be a bit wordy, but his attention to detail tends to draw the reader in rather than repel them in boredom. Having great material to work with always helps, and the exploits (often forgotten and neglected) of George Rogers Clark and his brave band of men are a story that anyone who wishes to understand the founding days of the United States should study. The incredible leadership of Colonel Clark in leading a small group of men to victory against ...more
Paulette
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
General George Rogers Clark is a personal hero of mine. He is the eldest brother of the William Clark of the famed Lewis and Clark Expedition. James Alexander Thom did an amazing job of bringing G. R. Clark to life, using letters to and from him and other historical documents.

I was raised in the lands he lived and fought and died in. Perhaps because of that, or because of something else I’ve yet to discover, I feel a deep connection to the story of his life. There is a statue honoring him in th
Judith Wrinkle
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
One of the best books I have ever read..........the only book I have ever read where I shed tears when I finished. Fiction, based on truth............it makes me sad to think of the sacrifices and truths of making this country...........and now where we have come. I have some Native American in my blood and I felt passion, fear, hope and sadness for both sides fighting. A book that I shall keep.
Laurie Kazmierczak
George Rogers Clark was great man whose fascinating life has been under the radar for too long. Author Thom has really brought him to life and made me appreciate the pioneer/frontier lands and people. I do not ordinary read historical accounts so this was out of my usual interest, but well worth it.
Bob Ely
This was a long book, with a lot of detail. It is the story set in the Revolutionary War and how an American gained land and power in the west. It details many of his exploits and the hardships he and his men went through to defeat the British and the Indians. The premise was good, but it was a hard read.
Monica G
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written and historically rich!
Joe Spoto
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good story about an American hero that has not gotten much notoriety. I am a pretty fast reader, and it did take me quite a while to finish this book
DaveS
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My personal favorite story by Thom. Great historical novel telling us the stories of the less famous Clark brother. George is probably more important to our history then any of the others in the (famous) Clark family.
Joe Stack
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a captivating historical novel. The author gets and keeps your attention. Some of the conditions the characters go through would seem to be something only a storyteller could conceive, but - in fact - are real and not made up.
Ryan Hathaway
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first effort by one of my all-time favorite authors. I highly enjoyed Thom’s coloration of this little piece of lost history. George Rogers Clark is one of the great American martyrs and heroes without which sacrifices our lives would all be less than they are today.
Suzanna
Nov 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
While Thom has written other books I enjoyed more, this book was informational and interesting throughout. I actually read this some years ago and had forgotten much of it, but this time I took more time to absorb some of the details that I often would let slide, such as battle plans, details in the execusion, and dates and locations of some of the minutia.

For the most part, this is a war story and sort of a "guy" book in many ways; I would say most of Thom's novels have a certain quality I thi
Carol
Jan 19, 2009 rated it liked it
As a fan of James Alexander Thom's historical novels, this reader very much enjoyed the journey of this novel based on the life of George Rogers Clark, the older brother of the more famous William Clark of the Lewis and Clark expedition. GR Clark is actually famous in his own right, for his accomplishments keeping peace with the Indians in parts of the old Northwest Territory, present-day Illinois.

I like the fact that Thom uses primary sources in his research and as a skeleton for his story. Th
Debbie toyoshima
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another Historical book, though some liberties were taken on what happened with the relationship between Clark and his Spaniard fiancé. This book spans over George Rogers Clark lifetime. Yes, this is the older brother of the other Clark of Lewis and Clark. I read the book "Sacajawea" last year also, which was about her life and involvement with the expedition of Lewis and Clark. Another excellent read which I encourage anyone to read. It is currently my all-time favorite book next to "Agony And ...more
Judy
Mar 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The story of George Rogers Clark, a soldier from Virginia and the highest ranking American military officer on the northwestern frontier during the American Revolutionary War. He served as leader of the Kentucky militia, he was the larger-then-life brother of William Clark (Lewis & Clark Expedition). Once again, James Alexander Thom breathes life into a long dead but important personality from Americas past.
Bonnie
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love history and this book had particular appeal to me. It is the story of General George Rogers Clark and his small group of about 150 volunteers in the Revolutionary War. They undertook the task to march from Virginia to Ft Vincennes in Illinois. Their trials and victories are written in a compelling story. It is an enjoyable weaving of fact and fiction. Knowing that my 4th GG Father was one of the men under General Clark made it doubly meaningful to me.
Amy Cullen
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I read From Sea to Shining Sea first, and I'm glad I read them in that order. I am eager to read other books by this author, as he is not only an amazingly gifted storyteller, but a conscientious historian as well. Read both books on my kindle, but am definitely going to search for the hardcover copies, as I will want to add them to my library. I highly recommend them to anyone who loves history!
patricia
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was a detailed account of the fight, after the Civil War, for the lands controlled by the British. Kentucky, Illinois, Ohio. British paid/bribed different tribes of the American Indians to murder and capture settlers. Clark led a small army of backwoods fighters to take the land from the British. The history of the battles and Clark's successes with this small army of determined men is amazing. Brutal detail.
Becky
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best historical novels I have ever read! George Rogers Clark was a real hero who suffered intensely for his country, and for the most part without pay until the end of his life. His tragic romance with Teresa de Leyba touched me so much. I would like to read more of Thom's books if they are like this one.
Lara
Aug 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
I love James Alexander Thom's historical fiction. He is so detailed in his American history. "Long Knife" was about George Clark, older brother of William Clark of 'Lewis and Clark', who founded Kentucky and fought the Midwest out of the British's hands. George Clark was a true American patriot, who died unappreciated, unrecognized, and impoverished. Really excellent account.
American Historic...: Long Knife By James Alexander Thom 4 41 May 14, 2013 05:36AM

• The Bride of the Wilderness (Paul Christopher #6)
  • A Sorrow in Our Heart: The Life of Tecumseh
  • Oh, Kentucky!
  • Borderlords
  • Song of Years
  • The World From Rough Stones
  • The Believers (Kentuckians, #4)
  • Lions of the West: Heroes and Villains of the Westward Expansion
  • A Rocky Mountain Christmas (Christmas, #2)
  • King and Goddess
  • My Lord Monleigh
  • Daniel Boone: The Life and Legend of an American Pioneer
  • Tecumseh: A Life
  • Savage Wilderness
  • Pocahontas
James Alexander Thom (born 1933) is an American author, most famous for his works in the Western genre. Born in Gosport, Indiana, he graduated from Butler University and served in the United States Marine Corps. He is a former professor of journalism at Indiana University, and a contributor to the The Saturday Evening Post. His fifth wife, Dark Rain Thom was a member of the Shawnee United Remnant ...more