Start by marking “Fantastically Great Women Who Changed the World” as Want to Read:
Fantastically Great Women Who Changed the World

Fantastically Great Women Who Changed the World

Kate Pankhurst, descendent of Emmeline Pankhurst, has created this wildly wonderful and accessible book about women who really changed the world. Discover fascinating facts about some of the most amazing women who changed the world we live in. Fly through the sky with the incredible explorer Amelia Earhart, and read all about the Wonderful Adventures of Mary Seacole with ...more
Published September 8th 2016 by Bloomsbury Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Fantastically Great Women Who Changed the World, please sign up.
Nikita Maree Its heavy on both and not a simple text to start and finish i.e. reads differently than left to right as the usual way to read a story. I would give…moreIts heavy on both and not a simple text to start and finish i.e. reads differently than left to right as the usual way to read a story. I would give it a go - its very colourful and using illustrations to complement the story, maybe read it together first and go from there? It all depends on the 13 year old :-)

(less)

Start your review of Fantastically Great Women Who Changed the World
Ivy
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Remember that in the movie 'Enchanted' with Amy Adams and Patrick Dempsey, Patrick Dempsey, who plays the role of Robert, gives his daughter a similar book for her birthday? It's a book about successful women who changed the world. The little girl wasn't very happy about the book as her only birthday gift but I personally thought this was the best gift a father could make his daughter so when I saw Great Woman Who Changed The World by Kate Pankhurst in our local book store it immediately made me ...more
Lindsay Seddon
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Essential reading for boys and girls from the ages of 5 and 25.
Mehsi
I knew I would love this, but it turned out to be even more love for this wonderful, smart, gorgeously drawn picture book.

This book tells us about a few of the fantastic women that were on this earth. From really old history stuff, to stuff that is slightly closer by. From athletes to scientists to travelling and much more, I really liked the selection that was made. It was a varied bunch, but they all did something super-special. I definitely won't mind another book with awesome women who
Kristina
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We need more books like this one!
Faith Spinks
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book with 3 young girls in mind who will one day change the world. Reading it myself before giving it to them I was inspired. The stories of 13 fantastically great women who changed the world are simply told with a double page spread for each and through engaging cartoon illustrations. I dread to think what these stories will inspire the 3 strong young ladies I bought it for to do, but I'm excited to see what it will inspire them to as well.
Katie
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
beautifully illustrated, massively important for kids and wonderfully informative. i'm 26 and i enjoyed it, and i'm so happy this exists for younger readers.
Sophie Crane
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: women-in-h-f
I love finding out about women from the past, who still an have an influence on people today. It is amazing for children to read about people whose past achievements can impact on them now, particularly girls! The illustrations were so detailed, and even though drawn for children, my mum recognised them all straight away. Well done Kate Pankhurst! Great for all, ages 8+  #girlscan .
Amy Beckett
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, although I had heard of many of the fantastic women, I was unaware of many of their inspirational movements in history. I was most captivated by Ada Lovelace whod actually made a significant breakthrough in imagining the first computer in 1840! As well as so many incredibly brave women battling womens rights and putting an end to segregation. Brilliant, fascinating, loved it! ...more
Hannah
Loved this. It's cute, informative and important.
Niamh
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
An empowering and well organised book written and illustrated by Kate Pankhurst, a descendent of the leader of the Suffragette movement Emmeline Pankhurst! Each of the particular women included are given a double page spread in which the illustrations and text compliment each other to tell the story of their individual great achievements that are often overlooked or unheard of- I too learnt about Gertrude Ederle (the first and fastest woman to swim the English channel!) The language used is ...more
elisabeth
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book may just be the most beautiful book I've ever seen and it is deserving of many more than 5 stars. In my opinion, not enough people take the time to read picture books and I can never see why! There are so many picture books out there with beautiful illustrations, short but well told story lines and underlying important messages, plus they make it easier to reach your goodreads goal!
'Fantastically Great Women Who Changed the World' has all three of the things I mentioned earlier, and I
Bookwormandtheatremouse
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
On a Snow Day Saturday this was a wonderful little book to read about some truly fabulous women. For me, the most inspiring thing about this book is that it is such a range of wonderful women that there is someone to inspire everyone. Mary Seacole is one of my personal inspirations and I am so pleased that this title recognises her work. So if you want to find out about some truly inspirational women read this book today!
Story of a Book Reader
She saw life differently...

Fantastically great women who changed the world is a wonderful non-fiction children's book that is a must read for both children and adults. It tells the interesting story of how brave and determined women, by following they're dreams, managed to change the world. It includes great women such as Jane Austen, Coco Chanel, Emmeline Pankhurst and many others. The writing is accompanied by beautiful illustrations and wonderful colours. It's an incredibly endearing and
Les McFarlane
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Set out in such a friendly way. Just enough facts and figures to whet your appetite. You find out the important bits and it gives you the need to find out more! A must have book.
Samantha
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A beautifully illustrated-almost interactive, highly informative meaningful text.

The incredible women featured in this book- from scientists to artists, from explores to creators. Children of all ages will be inspired to work hard at anything they want to do.
The information in this book is easily accessible, with additional hidden fun facts that really appeal to the young audience- for example, the dinosaur poo. Whilst reading this book, some of the women were new to me, I was instantly inspired
Libby Robinson
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lovely informative book about women in history and their stories. It includes a wide range of different women, and simple ways to explain the story. Amelia Earharts story is shown through a journey line from start to finish of her life. Lots of beautiful illustrations and would be an excellent start for topic work on historical figures or women in history. ...more
HOLLY REID
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lovely book. Engaging pictures and Complex language. Probably better for more confident Y2s - Y4. Use for a particular topic focus (for example, Mary Seacole to talk about her contribution as well as Florence nightingale); to support the creation of our own non-fiction picture books. ...more
Anniek
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The short portions of text, combined with the cute illustrations, make this a great and inspiring introduction to feminism for younger children. My only criticism is that I feel like a few more women could have been included.
Cho
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a treat.
Lucy Jane
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely book full of interesting women, exactly the sort of picture book that young girls should be given to inspire them. The illustrations are lovely and I can see myself using it as a base for individual historical figure studies in a KS1 or KS2 history lessons.
Rachel
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! I couldn't put it down. I loved the illustrations and how the writing was displayed- in many and creative ways. It was great how the book included extremely famous women in history but there were also women included who I had never heard of. I loved how the women all did spectacular things in a range of different fields. I genuinely felt inspired after reading this.
Ellie Labbett
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A superb collection of outstanding women who made the most of their situations and strove to be better. Whilst some of these women struggled at some points in their lives, some falling at hurdles, Kate Pankhurst does not sweep these difficulties and embraces their wins in spite of this. She spreads a brilliant message that you can be 'great' despite losses.
Having already read the second of the series prior to reading this one, I can safely say that Kate Pankhurt writes so warmly about these
Amie Caitlin Caitlin
Hugely inspiring and my four year olds favourite book. Pankhurst writes about inspirations Emmeline Pankhurt and Marie Curie as well as lesser known women Agent Fifi (WWII spy) and palaeontologist Mary Anning.
We got this when my daughter wasnt quite three and a half and she was completely taken with "the book about the ladies. The ladies who do great things.". Frankly, any book that makes her want to go as Amelia Earheart for World Book Day rather than a fairy princess is a winner in my book!

Brona's Books
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pankhurst (a descendent of the suffragette Emmeline Pankhurst) has compiled a book celebrating the life and achievements of 12 fantastic women.

Featuring Emmeline, Frida Kahlo, Coco Chanel, Gertrude Ederle (the Channel swimmer), Mary Anning, Mary Seacole (nurse), Agent Fifi, Sagagawea (translator and guide for Lewis and Clark), Rosa Parks, Anne Frank, Amelia Earhart, Jane Austen and Marie Curie, each double page spread is illustrated in a cartoon-like way with speech bubbles, maps, text boxes and
Megan
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So simple yet informative.

'Fantastically Great Women Who Changed the World' is a wonderful telling of stories about only a handful of the greatest women in history. Despite some being more famous than others, all have their own unique story regarding such passions and taking action for what they believe in.

This short and brilliantly illustrated book is both a visually fun and educational read for children whilst also having an inspiring and admirable element, creating appeal for older readers.
Katie Handford
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This gorgeous picture book tells of just a few of the amazing women that have done fantastic things and changed the world for the better. The illustrations are wonderful and the text is broken down perfectly for children, full of fun facts and timelines and storied of each woman demonstrated in a really fun way. This is a fabulous book with an important message, suitable for children of all ages.
Sheryl
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book that celebrates the remarkable lives of women in history. This will appeal to people of all age and interest group because it encompasses the life stories of women from all walks of life and different backgrounds - archaeology, science, intelligence work, politics, art, Native American (think Pochahontas), aviation etc. I especially enjoyed the vivid and beautifully drawn illustrations. I would recommend this book.
Kirsty
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, books
This is such a wonderful book, which is great for children and adults alike. I had heard of most of the women in this book, but not all of them. It was great to pick up such a fun and inspiring book, and still learn something. This would be a great asset to any families book collection, and it is stunningly illustrated too.
Megan Campbell
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My first read of 2018, and it was a great one. I loved the illustrations and the books construction, I thought it was a great way to draw the reader in and to follow the journey's of these 'fantastically great women'.
A must have for the little one in your life, actually a must have for anyone really. Loved it!
Shahrun
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Creativity imagined and beautifully executed history book which is essential reading for everyone. I wonder how a book like this could have inspired me to achieve if Id read it as a little girl. Im pleased that Id heard of all of these women apart from one. I definitely want to do some further reading about all of these amazing women. What an inspirational book! ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Greta and the Giants: inspired by Greta Thunberg's stand to save the world
  • The Iron Man
  • Room on the Broom
  • The Tunnel
  • Audrey Hepburn (Pequeña & GRANDE, #3)
  • The Girls
  • A Child of Books
  • Amelia Earhart
  • All My Stripes: A Story for Children with Autism
  • The Way Home For Wolf
  • The Day War Came
Kate Pankhurst is a British writer and illustrator, known for a series of children's picture books. She won second place in the 2002 Macmillan Prize for Picture Book Illustration.

News & Interviews