Start by marking “Life and Death: Twilight Reimagined (The Twilight Saga)” as Want to Read:
Life and Death: Twilight Reimagined (The Twilight Saga)

Life and Death: Twilight Reimagined

(The Twilight Saga)

For the first time in a stand-alone paperback comes Stephenie Meyer's Life and Death, a compelling reimagining of the iconic love story that will surprise and enthrall readers.
There are two sides to every story....
You know Bella and Edward, now get to know Beau and Edythe.

When Beaufort Swan moves to the gloomy town of Forks and meets the mysterious, alluring Edythe Cullen
Published November 1st 2016 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Life and Death, please sign up.
Kristen Not really, no. Some things, including the ending have been reworked and are therefore new, but mainly, it's the same story as the original, just with…moreNot really, no. Some things, including the ending have been reworked and are therefore new, but mainly, it's the same story as the original, just with most character's genders swapped. (less)

Start your review of Life and Death: Twilight Reimagined (The Twilight Saga)
Miranda Reads
description

Ohhh yeah, I went there (check out the video to see all my unpopular opinions...if you dare.)
Anyway, onwards to the review!
description

I thought about falling to my knees on purpose. This was the kind of beauty you worshiped. The kind you built temples for and offered sacrifices to...what would a goddess want from a mediocre mortal like me?
BWAHAHAHA....wait....she actually published this?

So, I reread the entirety of Twilight in preparation for this novel. I really shouldn't have. Twilight was
Kevin (Irish Reader)
2.5 Stars

I don’t know what I expected from this but getting pretty much the exact same story again except switching pronouns and genders, was not it.

I will say that the ending of this book is completely different to Twilight and it’s the reason why I actually give this .5 stars more than I did to Twilight. I really enjoy this alternate ending to the book and am interested to see how the rest of the books would have panned out if the original story took this approach.

I also did a reading vlog r
Faith M ✨
I actually sort of liked this almost unironically. It's mostly the exact same plot as the original Twilight (with some major changes as well 👀) but the less dramatic narration made this a lot more legitimately enjoyable.

My personal favorite character was male Bella, here as Beau, who was honestly a total cinnamon roll! His quiet introversion was nice, especially for a boy character, and I appreciated that. There were times when the plot was going just a bit too fast near the end where I either 1
Emer (A Little Haze)
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emer (A Little Haze) by: Gabby
Stephenie Meyer you legend.

Honestly.

The lady balls it took to publish this... I bow down at your feet.

Life and Death is a *reimagining* of the original Twilight that gender swaps the entire cast of Twilight (bar a few exceptions including Charlie)

And look... Everyone laugh all you want. Take the piss out of Twilight, lord knows I do. But god damn it I am trash for this book. I had the BEST time reading it. I laughed my butt off because... Well Twilight is simply genius. It's the most intoxica
Rinn
Mar 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Seriously lazy.

Next thing we know, Meyer will be publishing a gender-swapped version of this book.
May 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
About 3 things I am absolutely positive.

First, this book sucks.

Second, there is a part of this book, and it is quite apparent how dominant that part may be, that was written (and failed) to satisfy some desire to fix a broken book.

And third, I am unconditionally and irrevocably embarrassed to have read it.

If I have to read one more time about Edythe's "perfect face" or Beau's inability to walk a straight line, my mood will match Stephanie Meyer's most frequently used word in this book: "frust
Stacie
3 1/2 "Gender Bender" Stars!

Ok, ok... Don't judge, just let me explain! I kept seeing Twilight related stuff EVERYWHERE!! On Twitter on Instagram and on Goodreads (I'm not on Facebook). I seemed like so many people were rereading the series or binge watching the movies, I started to get the itch. Then last Saturday night after I finished the book I was reading, I turn on the TV and Eclipse is on! I could no longer resist. But I was thinking... I have so many unread books on my Kindle, I shouldn'
Rheanna
Aug 11, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF

Literally the most pointless book ever.

UPDATE: Just for fun I decided to skim the ending and the end just makes this book 10 times worse. (spoilers ahead) Most of it made no sense but from what I could tell, pretty much the only different thing about the plot was that Beau (the male version of Bella) ended up becoming a vampire at the end of the book while, in the original first book, Bella didn't become a vampire. In my opinion this is incredibly misogynistic and just super annoying. This du
Jessica {Litnoob}
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a super confusing but still really enjoyable read. For anyone like me who read twilight growing up you can see this story as a total rip of the original as that was the intent. But it's not in a bad way. Kinda trippy fan fiction way to be fair but it was still like "awe" the throw back to those original iconic scenes. Now I don't see how people are saying it's super sexist? Not really, she legit had oh boy do all the same things as Bella so if you see sexism in one but not the other tha ...more
Tessa
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Many people didn't find this book so great but I absolutely loved it. It felt like I was reading twilight again for the first time.
Alexandra ✨Reading By Starlight✨
I had no intention of writing a full review for Life and Death. I mean, it’s a gender-bent reimagining of Twilight – I think that pretty much speaks for itself.

But the thing is, I have a lot of mixed feelings about this one and those said mixed feelings have been churning away inside my mind. So, here we are. Surprise!

As I said, Life and Death is basically Twilight only reimagined for it’s tenth anniversary. This time, it’s Beaufort Swan who moves to the gloomy little town of Forks, Washington a
Yankeecountess
*sigh* where does one begin?

I am by no means a "twi-hard" but I also wouldn't call myself a "twi-hater" either. I read the series roughly ten years ago, around the time when the first movie hit the screens. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, and while I was by no means "blown away" by the series, I couldn't deny that something about Meyer's writing compelled me to want to continue reading, to find out what happened next. Now all that being said, I also agree with many readers who find
krisy
Oct 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
I, the person who couldn't properly fall out of love with Twilight for six years, give a negative rating to a Twilight book.

Hell freezes over.

My intuition told me that reading this book is the worst idea ever, but I tried to stay optimistic and read through all of it. It was the worst idea indeed.

I can't tell if I've just outgrown Twilight or this book was simply worse than expected (why not both?) but it was an absolute pain to read. Meyer somehow managed to turn the characters I love into anno
Acheron
May 02, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Can't believe I spend my money on this
Lizzie
May 30, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This review, and all my reviews and content, can also be found here.

Be advised that this review contains discussion of abuse.

I saw this book on the shelves just after it was released in 2015, but at the time I wasn't able to buy it. I was finally able to read it this year, though, and as an ex-Twihard (sigh) I thought it would be an interesting experience.

It was. For the wrong reasons.

Life and Death: Twilight Reimagined (spellcheck does not like "reimagined" by the way) has a pretty simple con
Esam Ayyad
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a gender exchange role, that what i think when i start reading it, the girl became the vampire and the boy became the troubled boy who cant even walk without trepping with his own feets, i loved the romance, eventough its a strange romance, i didnt mid to read it mirrored, but only to discover how hard it is to exchange the gender of each one of the main charecters, its ended up with exchange almost each gender of each charecter, maybe except for Charlie and Renee.

but wait, there is more, its no
Clare
This was interesting to read for the first third of the book but ultimately it fell to the same problems Twilight had. I persevered because I had heard the ending was different.
AudiobookFiend
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve never really imagined if a book would be less or more interesting if it were about about a guy instead or a girl. Until now. Not as amazing as Twilight but a great exploration for all fans for sure.

⚖️ Plot: Due to the nature of a reimagining, I expected the plot to stay pretty much the same. There were subtle changes and of course an ending that would close the book in 1 rather than 4 installments. For some reason, the pace seemed slower to me.

🗺 World: I did notice an improvement in Meyer
Susan Arnold
Dec 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
In all honesty, this book was awful.

For the first thirteen pages, I complained after every other sentence. I think that Stephenie Meyer literally went through her Word document that was 'Twilight' and changed Bella to Beau and Edward to Edythe. I felt like I was reading her own version of fanfiction--for her own work! It seemed like such a money grab that I felt dirty reading it at points. And the title? Boring. There was no imagination whatsoever that went into naming 'Life and Death'.

When I fo
Samantha
ngl I really enjoyed this. Tbf tho I'm pretty bias because even tho I used to adamantly DENY it, I actually love Twilight, so it was kinda nice to be able to reread the story but then kind of not know what's going to happen/read something slightly different.
SecondGlantz
Feb 22, 2018 added it
Shelves: abandoned
Abandoned after the first chapter.
Shreya Karnati
The first 90% of this book was so boring because it was pretty much the exact same thing as Twilight. I think I liked this ending better than the ending of the original book.
Mindy 👾
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an entertaining book. But my heart still belongs to the original.
Luke
Oct 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the beginning, it was... it was... strange. It took me some time to wrap my head around the characters, to sink into the story, to stop overthinking everything. Okay, it took me ages.

When it was first announced, the thing that drove me to read it, much like everyone else, was curiosity. Plus, I thought this would be an interest way of reliving Twilight. So I requested it from the library and waited.

When it arrived, I couldn't help myself: I had to have a peek. It was very similar to Twilight
tina
Apr 16, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, 2019
Trash. The scene where Bella almost gets sexually assaulted turned into a group of men and women attempting to attack Beau and every character was gender swapped EXCEPT THE PARENTS. A women could be the sheriff of a small town and a man could be a trophy husband/dance teacher/ married to an athlete.

This is boring and bad, just like the original is. As an adult, I think everyone would say they were bad but that preteen nostalgia made them seem so good. I am glad the ending was changed but still
Angelique
I gave this a 3 starts just as I did last time I read this, however this time round I would call it a 3.75 star book. I enjoyed it a lot more than I did the first time reading it although I experienced a lot of the same issues as I did last time.
Jesse
Oct 09, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: young-adult
Ughhhh this is going to take up so much room on the Teen Room shelves! 752 pages AND it's oversized?! I'll just be in the corner crying.
Aimee Renee
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.5 stars

There is a lot that I can say about this novel, but I am going to keep it short and sweet. I liked the gender-swap between the characters and the ending of the story. I do wish Charlie and Renee would've been gender-swapped because I would've loved to see a female Charlie, chief of police, but leaving them made the ending more impactful. Overall, however, I have to say I prefer Bella and Edward's story over Beau and Edythe's.
Denya
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m HERE for the Twilight renaissance.

I wasn’t sure what to expect with Life and Death, which is why I hadn’t read it before. But it was actually really fun to reimagine a gender-swapped Twilight. I loved looking at what changed and what stayed the same. And I also ended up really loving the character of Beau.

I enjoyed the new twists and turns that made the story different.

I listened to audiobook and the male narration helped me imagine Beau and his POV.
Josie Terstriep
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I liked the small changes in the beginning and I LOVED the end
Stephanie Meyer I don’t know if you will read this but if you do you HAVE to make a Second one

• Crossroads and the Dominion of Four
  • Found (House of Night Other World, #4)
  • Hawk
  • The Sound of Stars
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • Supernatural Academy: Year Two (Supernatural Academy, #2)
  • Rage and Ruin (The Harbinger, #2)
  • The Conference of the Birds (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #5)
  • The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1)
  • Carry On (Simon Snow, #1)
  • Blood and Money
  • Shifted Soul (The Wolves of Forest Grove, #2)
  • The Tuscan Girl: Completely gripping WW2 historical fiction
  • Ice Massacre (Mermaids of Eriana Kwai, #1)
  • Ice Crypt (Mermaids of Eriana Kwai, #2)
  • Red (Black #2)
  • The Big Love
  • Carrie Pilby
Stephenie Meyer is the author of the bestselling Twilight series, The Host, and The Chemist. Twilight was one of 2005's most talked about novels and within weeks of its release the book debuted at #5 on The New York Times bestseller list. Among its many accolades, Twilight was named an "ALA Top Ten Books for Young Adults," an Amazon.com "Best Book of the Decade So Far," and a Publishers Weekly Bes ...more

The Twilight Saga (6 books)
  • Twilight (Twilight, #1)
  • New Moon (Twilight, #2)
  • Eclipse (Twilight, #3)
  • Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4)
  • Midnight Sun (Twilight, #5)
  • Untitled (Twilight, #6)