Start by marking “Fitting In: Historical Accounts of Paranormal Subcultures” as Want to Read:
Fitting In: Historical Accounts of Paranormal Subcultures

Fitting In: Historical Accounts of Paranormal Subcultures

(Mad Scientist Journal Presents #3)

No one understands being an outsider like the people who have experienced it. Mad Scientist Journal has brought together twenty-six tales of people who have lived in a world that doesn't accept them. Some face their situation with humor, others less so. Vampires, werewolves, and changelings share space in these pages with gorgons, natukkong, jiangshi, and rokurokubi.

Includ
ebook
Published October 31st 2016 by Smashwords Edition

To ask other readers questions about Fitting In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fitting In

Start your review of Fitting In: Historical Accounts of Paranormal Subcultures
CJ Jones
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another anthology I loved. It's about alienation and 'othering' with monsters standing in as a metaphor for immigrant or marginalized communities. A lot of different angles on the topic, and I never felt like I was getting beaten on the head with the Message.
Favorite stories include
Cataclysm Child, Ville Merilainen, a mix of Frankenstein and Iron Man, a created being works at making a family of his own.
Someone's Checking You Out Right Now, S. qiouyi Lu, a very short piece, a quick punch in the f
Garrett
I've really enjoyed Mad Scientist Journal's anthology series of historical accounts, I eagerly backed the last two on Kickstarter, and I think this is the strongest one to date. Every story in this urban fantasy collection is at least loosely connected by the idea of the outsider, whatever that means for the story, and they managed to put together a great variety of quality pieces. Definitely check this out! A few standout stories:

“The Woman from Kisthene” – J. C. Stearns
“Home by Halloween” – Mi
Marina Belli
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
As one of the contributors, I had the opportunity of reading this anthology way before it was released. I may be biased, but I really enjoyed it. There's a wide variety of creatures, moods, themes and approaches to the base idea of paranormal creatures struggling to fit in a world that may not be made to accomodate them.
It's a good anthology that will have you cry and laugh and ponder. But, alas, I may be utterly biased in its favour. You'll have to try it for yourself!
Tiamatty
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic anthology. It's all about using various creatures of myth and folklore as metaphors for the outsider experience. They're all first-person narratives from the perspectives of the creatures, but there are a couple particularly interesting variations. One, from a jiangshi (Chinese zombie, sort of), takes the form of a dating profile. Some of the stories are set in the "real" world, others are set in more fantastical locations. Most are set in modern times, though one or two are ...more
Lorilee
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! J.C. Stearns held me spellbound the entire time. At one point in time I physically jumped when the plot shifted.
Lucinda Gunnin
Viktor Davion
rated it it was ok
Dec 22, 2016
J.C. Stearns
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Ali
Oct 25, 2017
Patti
Dec 04, 2016
Littleview
Nov 12, 2019
Jeremy Zimmerman
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Dawn Vogel
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
David
Andyhat
Oct 20, 2016

• Inferno! Volume 4
  • Vaults of Obsidian
  • Maledictions (Warhammer Horror)
  • Inferno! Volume 2
  • Isha's Lament (Black Library Novella Series 2 #3)
  • Watchmen
  • Blackmail, My Love: A Murder Mystery
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume II
  • The Comedy of Errors
Jeremy Zimmerman is a teller of tales who dislikes cute euphemisms for writing like “teller of tales.” He is the author of the young adult superhero book, Kensei and its sequel, The Love of Danger. In his copious spare time he is the co-editor of Mad Scientist Journal. He lives in Seattle with a herd of cats and his lovely wife (and fellow author) Dawn Vogel.

Mad Scientist Journal Presents (6 books)
  • That Ain't Right: Historical Accounts of the Miskatonic Valley (Mad Scientist Journal Presents #1)
  • Selfies from the End of the World: Historical Accounts of the Apocalypse