Start by marking “Pawn (Sibyl's War, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pawn (Sibyl's War, #1)

Pawn

(The Sibyl's War #1)

Nicole 19 drinks and takes drugs to suppress voices whispering in her head. Bleeding out from a knife wound, thug Bungie waves a gun at her and ER doc Sam. Winged aliens speak to her, and kidnap all three. Content, she is still a pawn aboard Fyrantha, hearing directions from the live spaceship to Sibyls for human repair crews. Human leader Plato warns her explorations enda ...more
Published May 2nd 2017 by Tor Tom Doherty Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about Pawn, please sign up.
Ralph McEwen Strange Universe by Bob Berman
…more
Strange Universe by Bob Berman
(less)

Start your review of Pawn (Sibyl's War, #1)
Gary
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Pawn is the story of Nicole, a teenage alcoholic and sometime criminal who is whisked away by aliens from her dead-end life on Earth to a living spaceship called the Fyrantha, where she discovers she is a Sybil – a rare human with the ability to communicate with the ship. Working on the ship gives her a new purpose in life, but she soon discovers that secrets are being kept from her, and she is drawn into a deadly conflict between two different alien species on the ship; a conflict orchestrated ...more
Nathan
May 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Fantasy Review Barn

Three people are abducted by moth like aliens and drafted into a work crew on a mysterious alien space ship. One, a doctor, is recognized as a talent and moved to medical. Another is a small time thug who immediately starts looking for a way out. And the third is Nicole who learns she is something special, a ‘Sibyl’ who can talk to the ship. After settling in to their new scripted and completely mundane life the trio start breaking the rules a bit and exploring their new surro
Tad
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, arc, sci-fi, thriller
Timothy Zahn kicks off a great new space opera trilogy with Pawn: A Chronicle of the Sibyl’s War. Zahn is no stranger to space adventure and Pawn shows he is still hitting on all cylinders.

19-year-old Nicole and frenemy/street thug Bungie along with the ER doctor they’ve kidnapped to treat Bungie’s wounds are in turn abducted and find themselves on the spaceship Fyrantha where they have been recruited as part of a maintenance crew.

Nicole finds that she is a Sibyl, which means with some pharmaceu
James
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, sf
Zahn dusts off the ancient plot of the giant, uncontrolled spaceship wandering around and adds some fun twists. It's the start of a new series, while it doesn't end on a cliffhanger, the sequel potential is blatant. Looking forward to more.
Christaaay
May 21, 2017 marked it as dnf
Shelves: sci-fi, 2017-arcs, meh
I don't rate books I don't finish, but this one fell to around 2 stars and never climbed back up. I kept skimming the meaningless tensions, hoping to find some meaningful progress, but it never manifest. The problem is the single point of view character: 19 yr old Nicole is kidnapped by aliens because she can speak with their ship and relay mechanical problems to the crew. Cool, right? This opens up all kinds of mysteries and worldbuilding questions. But instead of exploring that, we are stuck i ...more
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Nicole Lee does not have much of a life until she ends up on a alien star ship. Seems she is a Sibyl and can hear what repairs the ship needs. Then she becomes involved in a war between two other species and her life changes again. Nicole is a great character who changes as events come into her life. While she starts out as a street child she ends up with a job that can change the lives of all around her. This has interesting world building and character development. The backstory is woven into ...more
Susan
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Pawn is the first book in the Sibyl's War series. This should not be read as a standalone as it is clear that there is more to the story than just this book. There is violence. While I usually really enjoy Timothy Zahn's book, I am having some trouble with this one. I guess it is hard to relate to the main character and her being the chosen Protector/Caretaker. I will read the next book though to see what happens next.
Judy Lesley
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Two people are in the act of committing a crime in a hospital parking lot in Philadelphia when the two criminals and their victim are abducted by aliens. Next occupation - part of a work crew making repairs to an alien spaceship. Wow, the potential for this book was seemingly huge. Unfortunately the story just meanders along until about the last several pages where the reader and the abducted find out what the big bad space plot is all about.

I was surprised by this book because all the other Tim
Beth
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was disappointing. I've enjoyed every other one of Timothy Zahn's books that I've read, but "Pawn" was annoying. For one thing, I never saw a book talk about people grimacing so many times. Sometimes Nicole, the main character, just thinks about grimacing without actually doing it. Then there is the continuous insistence that Nicole's hometown of Philadelphia is unbearable. Yes, there are dangerous parts of the city, but this goes so far overboard for no reason.
I finished the book, but don
Mike
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quick thoughts: 3.5 rounded up. Not without its imperfections, but I still really liked it.

Review: https://derailmentsofthought.com/2019...
Caleb
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
I didn't know about this book, even though Timothy Zahn is one of my favorite authors. Saw it at the library while looking for Judgment at Proteus.

I'm surprised to rate this only 3 stars, the first such rating I've given Timothy Zahn. I didn't like it as much as I usually like his books, and I'm not entirely sure why. Part of it may be how it is only somewhat science fiction. Yes, they're on a spaceship, but this affects their day-to-day life so little that it hardly matters; in fact, some chara
Michael
This is the first book in a new series by Timothy Zahn. I am a big fan of Timothy Zahn but I was somewhat disappointed in this book. It wasn't a bad book but I have come to expect more from Mr. Zahn. This one dragged a bit in spots and the storyline has been used repeatedly by many authors over the years. Zahn dusts off the ancient plot of the giant, uncontrolled spaceship wandering around and people from Earth are abducted to be virtual slave labor once aboard. Nicole and street thug Bungie alo ...more
Carolyn Comings
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance ebook copy of this book from Netgalley.

I have read and enjoyed many of Timothy Zahn's previous books, going back many years, so when this one became available, I snapped it up. And I was not disappointed, other than in myself for not being able to put the book down and get some sleep. I read the entire book in one sitting, and will definitely read any and all further books in this series. (And anything else Mr. Zahn cares to write.)

Nicole hears voices in her head, which sh
Margaret
Wow! What a page-turner! Could barely put this book down!

Also, an angry cunning gangster is a fairly good tool to move the action along! Three people get abducted by aliens at the beginning of this book. They find themselves on an alien ship and are told that they will never see Earth again so they might as well just accept their new lives and get to work repairing the starship.

The angry man wants no part of this new life. He refuses to work preferring to explore the ship on his own, convinced t
astaliegurec
Timothy Zahn's "Pawn: A Chronicle of the Sibyl's War" is the first book in his "Sibyl's War" series. It had some potential, but suffers from two major flaws. First, for the first third of the book, our protagonist is a loser and perpetual victim. Suddenly (and literally between one page and another), she turns into a strong, decisive, warrior leader. There's no growth into that role. She just magically transforms. The second big issue is that the book is all about mushroom management. Not only d ...more
Crim
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it
The idea was interesting, but there were several leaps and stretches. "A wizard did it!"(TM) is employed in key points to explain the settings. Why is it that in the known universe only humans can repair this alien ship? "That is how it is made!", of course. The surveillance capabilities of the Shipmasters are dubious at best, and seem enslaved to the plot at the worst. And the rest falls into place because Plato sits on the information against all odds - though he does explain it to the equally ...more
William Bentrim
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pawn by Timothy Zahn
I’ve always enjoyed Zahn’s work. He writes a good story and his characters show moral strength. This book deals with a street smart girl who finds herself on a space ship.
Nicole is a street waif from Philadelphia. Her character is browbeaten and physically beaten by the gang she is associated with. The story allows her to develop some self esteem and begin to be the person she has hidden inside.
Zahn creates a great mini world within the Fyrantha, an alien warship/AI struggl
Mrklingon
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Zahn does more than Star Wars!

Nobody (!) does Star Wars like Zahn, but that's not all he can do! This is a very good start to a new series. Start with some small time criminals, then add an alien abduction. Find a crew of humans tasked with maintenance on a huge(!) spaceship... and that's just the start. There's mystery, interesting aliens and ... well we'll see when the next book arrives!
An Odd1
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: action
Thrilling fights increase. Protagonist Nicole 19 matures, invents attack and defence strategies, instead of awaiting plans from vicious Bungie and snob Sam. Yet she childishly ignores warnings about danger to self and Earth, lets murderer go and kills savior. (view spoiler) Different species complicate conflicts.
Ed
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's Timothy Zahn, need I say more? Kidnapped by aliens, because of the voices in her head. Forced to talk to the ship, but not all is what it seems.....
Sean Mobley
Oct 20, 2020 rated it liked it
It feels so weird to rate a Timothy Zahn book three stars. This was my first foray into his non-Star Wars work (which I've enjoyed for about 15 years now) and I was, if not disappointed at least underwhelmed. Zahn's skill at crafting a chapter and a story that's well-paced makes up for the frustrating characters and irritating logic leaps, but only enough to bring it into three-star territory.

The book is strange in so many ways. For one thing, the cover is not what you're going to get inside the
Mandi Baker
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
C.D. Gallant-King
I'm a big Star Wars fan. When I was a teenager, during the lull in Star Wars films between Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace, I devoured all the tie-in novels, games and comics that kept the spirit alive. By far, the best books in those early series was the Heir to the Empire trilogy by Timothy Zahn. I've heard some say that Zahn's books were even better than the original Star Wars trilogy of movies, and I'd be willing to consider that claim. He has an accessible, well-paced style that w ...more
Kelli
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Bit ambivalent about this one. Once it got going it was an enjoyable read, and I liked watching the main character come into her own throughout the story. But it just took so long to get going. The first half of the book is an exercise in frustration. Nicole, the main character, is a total wet rag and pushover, and okay, you can blame it on any number of things: she's only nineteen, she's been in survival mode most of her teenage years (though we never get any back story as to why she left her g ...more
Chris
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf
Harrison
May 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
TLDR: Feels like the first chapters of a really good book stretched out over way too long, featuring characters that make frustrating decisions while an author I normally love seemingly forgets common sense details standard in sci-fi.

(view spoiler)
Jonathan Koan
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
As I established previously, I am going to be stealing CinemaWins phrase that "so-and-so is always a win". In my book, while not all of his books are my favorite, "Timothy Zahn is always a win!"

I first read this book a few weeks after it came out in 2017 and it was pretty fun. I think that Timothy Zahn has created a fun, intersting sci-fi universe. It will be interesting to see where he goes from here in his newest book "Knight"(which comes out in April).

The book's plot is interesting, and somew
Brian Palmer
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, science-fiction
Perhaps a bit YA-ish, this novel is squarely within Zahn's usual range. Nicole is an alcoholic 19 year old in Pennsylvania who's been a lookout and petty accomplice to a criminal gang for years. She gets by on couch surfing and is trying to get accepted to do something bigger for the gang... when she gets caught up in one of the more thuggish criminal's schemes ... and then abducted by aliens.

Oh, that.

It turns out that the strange voices Nicole has been hearing for years, the ones she associate
Sam Gor
May 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
So this is a new first of a new trilogy.
It was pretty bland.
The world building and the ending was good and enjoyable.
The aliens was promising but didn't deliver.

It definately read like a YA book such as Hunger Games and Maze Runner with the whole arena thing.
Yes, the twist at the end makes it a big WOW! and that's interesting but the set up was just boring.

No compelling characters nor character development to speak of.
This abduction started off well and the whole getting use to the ship was c
John Loyd
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sleeping off a hangover Nicole is woken up by Bungie to be taken for medical treatment. Bungie, being a criminal, has a plan, not to go into the hospital but to kidnap a doctor. In the parking lot they pull along side of Sam and just as they are about to kidnap him, all three are taken by aliens. Nicole wakes up in a hospital type room, it's aboard a space ship.

They are put to work. Nicole is a Sybil, one of the few beings that can communicate with the ship in order to instruct a work crew what
« previous 1 3 next »

• Spy, Spy Again (Valdemar: Family Spies, #3)
  • The Trials of Koli (Rampart Trilogy, #2)
  • Shadow Fall (Star Wars: Alphabet Squadron, #2)
  • Triumphant (The Genesis Fleet, #3)
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • Finder (Finder Chronicles, #1)
  • The Gordian Protocol
  • Driving the Deep (Finder Chronicles, #2)
  • Christmas Eve
  • Ancestral Night (White Space #1)
  • The Last Emperox (The Interdependency, #3)
  • Vanguard (The Genesis Fleet, #1)
  • Ascendant (The Genesis Fleet, #2)
  • The Rise of Skywalker (Star Wars: Novelizations, #9)
  • Empress of Forever
  • Maker's Curse (Millennium's Rule #4)
  • How to Defeat a Demon King in Ten Easy Steps
  • Inside Jobs: Tales from a Time of Quarantine
Timothy Zahn attended Michigan State University, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in physics in 1973. He then moved to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and achieved an M.S. degree in physics in 1975. While he was pursuing a doctorate in physics, his adviser became ill and died. Zahn never completed the doctorate. In 1975 he had begun writing science fiction as a hobby, and he bec ...more

The Sibyl's War (3 books)
  • Knight: A Chronicle of the Sibyl's War