Start by marking “Shattered Minds (Pacifica, #2)” as Want to Read:
Shattered Minds  (Pacifica, #2)

Shattered Minds

(Pacifica #2)

She can uncover the truth, if she defeats her demons

Ex-neuroscientist Carina struggles with a drug problem, her conscience, and urges to kill. She satisfies her cravings in dreams, fuelled by the addictive drug ‘Zeal’. Now she’s heading for self-destruction – until she has a vision of a dead girl.

Sudice Inc. damaged Carina when she worked on their sinister brain-mapping pr
Published June 15th 2017 by Tor Books UK

To ask other readers questions about Shattered Minds, please sign up.
Laura Lam I have ideas for more, but it depends on the will of publishing.

Emily May
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, 2017, sci-fi
Their goals should align, in theory, but she can guarantee they won’t like her.
No one ever truly likes her. They all sense that, deep down, she’s broken.

I am really loving Laura Lam's dark sci-fi novels set in a future filled with drugs that can transport you to a fantasy world, corporations dabbling in twisted and illegal experiments, and encrypted messages hidden away in a person's cerebral cortex.

It's so creative and nasty. This book is set in the same world as False Hearts, but it is a co
Maureen
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
* Thank you to Shotsmag for supplying me with a paper copy of Shattered Minds for which I have given an honest review*

A futuristic sci-fi thriller where technology rules peoples daily lives - and even manipulates their dreams.

Carina is a former neuroscientist with a massive drug problem, and to compound matters further, she also has uncontrollable urges to kill. To counteract those urges, she takes a drug called Zeal, this drug enables her to satisfy those dangerous urges in dreams, rather than
Miriam Smith
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbc, kept-book, signed
"Shattered Minds" by Laura Lam is a futuristic sci-fi thriller that's probably not my normal reading genre, but I have to say that this book with its beautiful shiny cover and interesting blurb really caught my attention. Set in a time when dreams can be manipulated and ocular implants are in your everyday use, you have to stop and think just how much of the author's creation could actually occur in the future - a very frightening thought indeed!
Laura Lam is a tremendously imaginative author who
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, read-in-2017
The world created in these Pacifica novels is the perfect setting for a dark futuristic thriller. Although I loved the characters in the first book, it's awesome how this one reads as a standalone. It just goes to show how many awesome stories could be created within this world. I still feel like there is so much more to explore. My intrigue hasn't died down. So here's to hoping Laura Lam writes more!

The story follows Carina who is currently an addict to a drug that takes her into dreamscapes (
Laura Lam
Edit June 15th, 2017. The book is out! A few bits of news:

Amazon.com listed it as an editor's pick as one of the best SFF books of the month!

Also, if you crosspost your Goodreads review to a book retailer (Amazon, B&N, Waterstones, etc), I'll send you a signed bookplate and a bookmark as thanks. More info here: http://www.lauralam.co.uk/signed-book...

This is the next Pacifica thriller after False Hearts. It's a standalone set in the same world, so it can be read in any order, though you'l
Liefie
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Full disclosure: I did not read the first Pacifica novel.

Having said that, I do not think that this novel loses much if you haven't read the first book, and it can easily be read as a stand-alone. There is also provision made at the end of the book for another installment in the lives of Carina and her friends, promising that there will be at least 3 books in the Pacifica series.

The plot is a riff on a well-used SF trope. An evil Corporation/Government in a far-off future land, that used to be
Veronique
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, stars-4-0
Here is another dark scifi thriller from Laura Lam set in the futuristic world of Pacifica. Although the action takes place in Los Angeles with a different cast, it is still the same atmosphere. Different city, yes, but same universe of Flesh Parlours and Zeal Lounges.

The point of view has been shifted to that of a Zealot, aberration in this perfect society. Carina has demons to fight in the shape of a debilitating thirst for murder, which she can only do in the safety of the virtual world for
Dannii Elle
Ex-neuroscientist Carina doesn't know which is more disturbing, her addiction the virtual reality drug, Zeal, or her real-life compulsion for murder. Forgotten by her former colleagues and over-looked by the government meant to protect her, Carina believes what is left of her life will be spent in the haze of a drug-trip where she can shape reality to her own choosing. But reality has other plans for her.

The synopsis of this promised a fast-paced, high-intrigue read and that is exactly what it d
Robyn
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I enjoyed returning to Pacifica, Laura Lam's future California, and an entirely new set of characters. (Well, almost entirely.) Great plot with lots of turns, and a very interesting heroine at the centre.
Helen
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The world building of the Pacifica series is really quite fascinating. Wax workers can change your body in anyway you desire. Implants in your brain (your actual brain!!) connect you to the internet projecting what you see onto walls near you. Bored of your hair colour, have those genes altered. It's really quite inventive.

Then there's the plot. The huge company who can download to your implants is corrupt, leaving a trail of bodies on its path for wealth and glory. A group of 'vigilantes' want
Tanninsandtales
Jun 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: sci-fi
Really couldn't get into this one and DNF-ed it at 40%. It seems to me that Shattered Minds is aimed at a younger audience.

(Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC).
Connor
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction, lgbt
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

This book . . . Gah.

I didn't know what I was getting into.

I didn't know the outside world would cease to exist the moment I started it until the moment I finished it (at roughly 3am, FYI). I didn't know I would be haunted by the images from Carina's dreamzealscape.

Speaking of Carina, I didn't know I could like a heroine as messed up as she is. I'm talking Dexter-level messed up. So I guess I did know I could like a character as messed up as Carina b/c I bloody loved De
imyril
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copies
A dangerous, gifted young woman flees a successful career and is well on the way to killing herself with addiction, until a former colleague gives her the keys to bring down her former boss. Fighting the addiction and her urges to kill, Carina must win over an underground cell of malcontents and help them unlock the secrets that will destroy Sudice, the supposedly benevolent megacorp who has hardware and software embedded in every head in Pacifica. But Roz will stop at nothing to find and destro ...more
 ⇝LEAH⇜
The world of "Pacifica" is reason enough to indulge in this series.

description

Originality: 4.5/5
Book Cover: 4/5
Ending: 4.3/5 Cliffhanger: Nope, but
Steam Factor 0-5: 3
Setting: A Futuristic Los Angeles, CA (Pacifica)
Source: Kindle eBook (Library)

Total: 4.2/5 STARS - GRADE=B+

⇝My Thoughts⇜

The world of Shattere
Kari Rhiannon (Moon Magister Reviews)

Set in the same dark future as 'False Hearts', the newest offering from Laura Lam is a very different book. Whereas 'False Hearts' was a book of neon warmth and arching redwoods, 'Shattered Minds' is a story filled with clinical chrome and the buzz of electronic instruments. It is a harder, colder book, less forgiving, with characters that take a little bit longer to love. But love them you definitely do.

Centring around a hacking group that is attempting to bring down a large, corrupt
Greyson Richter | Use Your Words
my link text: 4 ★'s
Shattered Minds: Lost Interest in Series

The first book was really good! The second book is from a different POV and I'm not really interested in that character.
___
BlogInstagramTwitterTumblr
Clair
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
In a dark and malevolent futuristic world, a drug-addicted ex-neuroscientist Carina satisfies her urges to kill within drug-fueled dreams. Within her mind sections of data are planted which she can only unlock by recalling her early memories. So she bands together with a group of hackers in order to take down an evil corporation. The writing is fluid and vivid, often darkly violent and brilliantly portrays a frightening high technology near-future. I loved the blend of crime, psychology, sci-fi ...more
Cora Tea Party Princess
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it

Well that was DARK. And a little grim. And pretty damn excellent.
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

3.5 Stars

Carina is trying to escape the horrors of her rewired brain after being experimented on against her will and without her knowledge. Carina’s brain, which was used to be calm and unfeeling is now filled with murderous intent, with every day a battle against the urge to kill those around her. The only thing that seems to help her? A drug called Zeal. Now an addict on the brink of death she is given one last chance to get back at those that destroyed her mind. Her former employers.

I decid
Becki
Well that was pretty twisted! What a ride. I would love to read more Pacifica novels in the future.
Tracey the Lizard Queen
Originally reviewed here: http://thequeenofblades.blogspot.co.u...

*Thanks to Tor Books UK for providing me with an ARC*

Set in the futuristic corporate state of Pacifica, Shattered Minds tells the tale of Carina. A drug addicted young woman with murderous impulses. In this future, crime is virtually non-existent. Instead, citizens can live out their fantasies in a virtual reality, known as the Zealscape.

For the most part it has been a huge success. After all, who wouldn't want to punch their bos
c,
Galley provided by publisher

I think it's safe to say that me and present tense narratives do not get along. That's not to say that's the sole reason for my low rating of this book, but it's a big one. And when it's present tense for both the present and past (besides Carina's memories), that just makes things even more confusing. I don't know exactly why I have a problem with present tense narratives, but I can't name any books that have used one that I've particularly liked.

On top of the presen
☙ percy ❧
Dec 25, 2016 marked it as physical-copy-tbr
Shelves: signed-copy
anyways i'd probably sell my entire soul for an advance copy of this lmao
Jessica Strider
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pros: diverse cast, interesting plot

Cons: minimal world-building

Carina is a zeal addict, living her life plugged into her dreams where she slowly kills virtual people. When a former co-worker uploads coded packets of information into her brain that will help take down her previous employer, she’s not sure she’s capable of sobering up and not becoming a monster in the real world.

This book is set in the same world as the author’s previous novel, False Hearts. While some characters overlap, Shatter
Maryam
Originally published The Curious SFF Reader

[3.5]

Carina is a former neuroscientist with a drug problem, she constantly has urges to murder people and, to prevent that, she is destroying herself by taking Zeal, a drug allowing humans to enter a virtual reality where all their dreams are materialized. For Carina, Zeal is her only opportunity to kill people without actually murdering anyone and, in her Zeal space she can summon murderers and kill them slowly, just like she wants it….Until the day he
Stephanie Ward
'Shattered Minds' is the second book in a thrilling dystopian science fiction series. I haven't read anything quite like this in quite a long time, so it all felt fresh and original to me. There were a ton of fascinating details the author wrote into this world and I loved learning about them all and daydreaming what it would be like to live there. They have a lot of cool things (see the guest post above for more!) like dreamscapes, brain implants, body upgrades, replicators to create just about ...more
Emma (howlsmovinglibrary)
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
*I received this ARC from the publisher via Netgalley in return for an honest review*

Shattered Minds is a sequel to False Hearts, although the stories and characters do not really overlap. What connects the two is the setting, the concept of Zeal (a drug which allows people to plug into fantasy dreamscapes and live out any fantasies or unfortunate ‘urges’) and Sudice – a corporation that is tied into the very infrastructure of Pacifa, and so obviously evil that they might as well have an secret
Lulai
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
--- I received this book through NetGalley against an honest review. ---

The first volume was a good surprise and I was more than happy to receive this second one in preview.

I think that the most important point in this book is the universe, it is futuristic and plays on very current matters such as freewill, the influence of companies on the government which results in conflicts of Interest and sometimes worse. I liked this resonance to our current world where technological advances and laws are
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Breaking the Glas...: Written by women in 2017 5 13 Sep 23, 2017 11:06PM

• The Infinite Loop (The Infinite Loop #1-6)
  • Detour (Transportation, #1)
  • Darkest Night (Wired & Dangerous, #2)
  • Fortitude Smashed (The Camellia Clock Cycle, #1)
  • The Druid Next Door (Fae Out of Water, #2)
  • Tracer (Outer Earth #1)
  • Void Black Shadow (Voidwitch Saga, #2)
  • Sink or Swim (Anchor Point, #8)
  • Escapology
  • Pacific Fire (Daniel Blackland, #2)
  • Heart of Granite
  • Counterpoint (Twisted Wishes #2)
  • The Ghost Line
  • Hex-Rated (Brimstone Files #1)
  • Action (Murmur Inc., #2)
  • Hunger Makes the Wolf (The Ghost Wolves, #1)
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • Glaze
Please contact me via the contact page on my website as opposed to GR mail.

Laura Lam was born in the late eighties and raised near San Francisco, California, by two former Haight-Ashbury hippies. Both of them encouraged her to finger-paint to her heart’s desire, colour outside the lines, and consider the library a second home. This led to an overabundance of daydreams.

After studying literature an

Pacifica (2 books)
  • False Hearts (Pacifica, #1)