Start by marking “Ban This Book” as Want to Read:
Ban This Book

Ban This Book

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  6,199 ratings  ·  1,278 reviews
-Readers, librarians, and all those books that have drawn a challenge have a brand new hero.... Stand up and cheer, book lovers. This one's for you.- --Kathi Appelt, author of the Newbery Honor-winning The Underneath

An inspiring tale of a fourth-grader who fights back when her favorite book is banned from the school library--by starting her own illegal locker library!

It al
Published August 29th 2017 by Starscape Books

To ask other readers questions about Ban This Book, please sign up.
Nobies57 Because a very vocal parent from her school believes that what the main characters do in "The Mixed Up Files..." will negatively impress young readers…moreBecause a very vocal parent from her school believes that what the main characters do in "The Mixed Up Files..." will negatively impress young readers. She believes that young readers are very impressionable (which is true) and lack the common sense to make their own decisions (which is false).(less)
Patrick C Sheen the main character's favorite book gets banned from her school's library and she gets mad and more books get banned and she makes a library in her loc…morethe main character's favorite book gets banned from her school's library and she gets mad and more books get banned and she makes a library in her locker of all the banned books(less)

·  6,199 ratings  ·  1,278 reviews

Start your review of Ban This Book
mindful.librarian ☀️
A wonderful message about the the power of speaking up in this middle grade novel for book lovers and librarians!

Thanks to the author for providing me with an advance copy of this novel for review purposes - all opinions are my own.

As a school librarian, I am surely more than a little prejudiced in loving this story so much - a story of a parent getting a huge number of books removed from the school library without following proper procedure because the school board is bending to her will. A
Maureen
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this novel! Ban This Book has a simple premise, a well meaning mother wants books removed from an elementary school library for various reasons that are important to her. However, when avid reader Amy Anne learns her favorite novel is on the list, the quiet little book worm takes action. Amy Anne enlists help from her friends Danny and Rebecca to save the books from being banned. This novel made me sad, angry, and helpless as I read, because I know many books are banned daily i ...more
Connor
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Josiah
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Alan Gratz was definitely better known for historical fiction when Ban This Book came out in 2017, but this novel was spectacular proof of his versatility: a contemporary school drama charged with all the electricity a reader could ask for. Amy Anne Ollinger, age nine, isn't happy with her home life. She's continually asked to defer to her little sisters, Alexis and Angelina, who don't allow Amy Anne a moment's peace to curl up in a comfortable spot and enjoy her favorite book, E.L. Konigsburg's ...more
Skip
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
When school boards start banning books because they don't like their content or ideas, it's time for them to go. In our local district, I believe Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible was removed from the high school curriculum for a period for its purported anti-Christian bias.

This middle grade book follows young Amy Anne Ollinger's battle to reverse a decision to remove her favorite book (and my sister's, From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler) among others from the school li
Leah (Jane Speare)
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Banning books! What does that mean exactly? All it takes is one unhappy parent for a book to be banned in a whole school. And in Amy Anne’s school dozens of books are getting banned, including her favorite, From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. That’s when she decides to put together the B.B.L.L. (Banned Books Locker Library) for other students to access the books, for what’s more exciting to read than a book you’re told not to? Amy Anne and her friends learn the importance of sp ...more
Book Concierge
Fourth-grader Amy Anne Ollinger is stunned when she tries to check out her favorite book from the library, only to find it missing. Someone else must have checked it out after she returned it yesterday. So, she askes Mrs Jones, the school librarian, if she can put a hold on that title. That’s when she learns that the book has been removed because another student’s parent complained it was “inappropriate.” And this is just the beginning. The mother has a list of books she wants removed from the s ...more
Eva B.
To be quite honest, I thought this was a young adult book going in, or at least upper middle grade. It isn't. It centers on a fourth grade reader named Amy Anne who starts a locker library for banned books after a wave of bans hits her school library, taking out several books (including her favorite one). While I'm familiar with Gratz' other middle grade works, this was a case of "it's not you, it's me". The writing in this was very juvenile, and definitely overused the "*actual communication of ...more
Fatma
A story that was cleverly written, and the plot was maturely developed till the end.
What i liked most about that book, that by the last half of it, the reader has to think and get to walk in someone else's shoes. That was way better than the good character/bad character cliche that most children books are usually filled with.

The kids will learn that every person/fact/thought has it's other face that should be explored before giving a judgement.

Mary Ann's feelings to her home life reminded me a
Alex  Baugh
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
If fourth-grader Amy Anne Ollinger were to be asked by Goodreads to name her absolute favorite book, it would definitely be From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. Not that she doesn’t love other books, but this is the one she checks out of the school library over and over and over. So, imagine her shock when she goes to get it off the shelf yet again, and…it’s gone.

And it’s not just From the Mixed-up Files that is no longer there. The librarian, Mrs. Jones, tells her that it was
Carol
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of the First Amendment
I received an advance copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an unbiased review.

Kids and adults alike will enjoy this book. I highlighted so many passages! Amy Anne is my new favorite champion of the First Amendment. I'm really going to talk this up closer to September and Banned Books Week but I anticipate it will be in hot demand even without my endorsement

My favorite thing was the banned books themselves. The titles are there for any kid to track down, a veritable bibliography
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I know of a few parents who should read this book.
Greenglasses
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
such an amazing book. this book shows just how creative you have to be to get your favourite book back!
Kadi P
This one's for the readers. Not just those who love to read, but those who love the concept of reading itself. Those who understand that the ability to read is a gift and the right to read what we want is something we should never stop fighting for.

It's also wonderful to watch the protagonist grow and come into her own. She learns to stand up for herself and say what she thinks instead of holding it all in like how she does at the beginning and that's pretty amazing.
theresa
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ban this Book was exactly what i needed,to not get into a reading slump! Such a cute important read,perfect for my bookish soul 💕
Jenny
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book got me very worked up. Any book lover out there will bristle about books being banned and I was no exception. Good story with great characters. It could have fallen into an agenda pushing book with flat characters but managed not to. I really enjoyed it.
Patrick
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A story about why it is wrong to ban books. What isn't there to love. Great plot, great characters, and such an important message about books and reading!
Steph
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I truly started this book mocking it, saying that the blurb on the inside cover gave away the entire story. And then I read the whole book in one sitting and found myself cheering and sobbing at the end.

I love books. I love that the books I adore are different than those that my favorite people adore. I love that we all get different things out of all of these stories and can respect that they each have a purpose for someone out there.

While I didn’t always agree with the main character’s actions
Patb
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
Amy Anne and the B.B.L.L. members are my new hero’s! Amy’s favorite book has been removed from her school library along with a list of other books because one parent thinks these books are inappropriate. Amy, a quiet student, knows that this is wrong and along with her friends come up with a way to fight back!

KimBear
"It all started the day Amy Anne Ollinger tried to check out her favorite book in the whole world, From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, from the school library. That's when Mrs. Jones, the librarian, told her the bad news: her favorite book was banned! All because a classmate's mom thought the book wasn't appropriate for kids to read.

Amy Anne decides to fight back by starting a secret banned books library out of her locker. Soon, she finds herself on the front line of an unexpec
Jennifer Lavoie
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. I related to much to Amy Anne. I feel like, had books been removed from my school library, I would have done something like this. Many of the books that were banned are books I’ve loved. In fact, I was just talking about Wait Til Helen Comes the other day. It’s a fantastic horror story.

This book truly has great messages about standing up and speaking out for what you believe in. Fantastic.
KC
3.5 stars. When numerous books are removed from her local school library for being too inappropriate, Amy Anne takes matters into her own hands to put a stop to this insanity. With a little help from her friends and fellow readers, seemly quiet Amy Anne puts forth her constitutional rights and discovers the voice she never knew she had.
Branwen Sedai *of the Brown Ajah*
This nook is awesome. Should definately be required reading for middle school kids.
Sarah Jamieson
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great YA book about censorship and finding your voice! 4.5 stars!
booknerdbobbie
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read aloud for middle graders wth such a great lesson about book banning!!!
ivy✨
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was sooo good✨
Robin Prevallet
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! I think I may have found next year’s class novel. What better way to get kids interested in reading a book than banning it!
Christine Gaza
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This truly could not be any cuter. Amy Anne lives in crowded house and to escape, she loves to read. When parents start banning books, Amy Anne decides she is going to run an "illegal libray" out of her locker so kids have access to all the banned books. When things go awry, Amy Anne and her "board members" come up with the best solution to the problem. SUCH a great book about why reading is important. SUCH a great book for mid-level readers. I need our school board to read this!
Mike M
Nov 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nope
As a public library worker, I'd really like to recommend Ban this Book, but I can't. It's got a couple of flaws that I just can not overlook.

It's about intellectual freedom -- what's not to like? It's got an admirable POC protagonist, a quiet "good girl" who is pushed into standing up for her rights and the rights of her peers. Thumbs up, ennit? It's got a propulsive plot, well-paced, with a cast of mostly well-drawn characters. It's got Dav Pilkey in there. Looks like a starry review!

"But." Int
Melanie Dulaney
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
My library patrons flock to Alan Gratz's historical fiction, so when the author was signing copies of this non-war themed work at the Texas Library Association conference, I was excited to give them something a little different by him . I am thankful that I can report being just as pleased with this great realistic fiction novel, filled with the expertly crafted writing that I have come to expect from him. The efforts of usually docile Amy Anne to countermand a powerful parent's campaign to remo ...more
Play Book Tag: Ban This Book / Alan Gratz - 4**** 4 19 Nov 13, 2019 05:27AM
Oregon Public Lib...: Ban This Book [October 2019] 1 4 Aug 26, 2019 04:01PM

• Front Desk (Front Desk, #1)
  • Insignificant Events in the Life of a Cactus
  • The One and Only Bob
  • Look Both Ways: A Tale Told in Ten Blocks
  • Momentous Events in the Life of a Cactus
  • Save Me a Seat
  • A Boy Called Bat (A Boy Called Bat, #1)
  • Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess
  • Other Words for Home
  • Song for a Whale
  • New Kid (New Kid, #1)
  • The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise
  • Restart
Alan Gratz was born and raised in Knoxville, TN, home of the 1982 World's Fair. After a carefree but humid childhood, Alan attended the University of Tennessee, where he earned a College Scholars degree with a specialization in creative writing, and later, a Master's degree in English education.
In addition to writing plays, magazine articles, and a few episodes of A&E's City Confidential, Alan has