Start by marking “Do I Have To Be A Mother?: A Childfree Woman's Honest and Unspoken Thoughts and Feelings” as Want to Read:

No children by choice, chance or circumstance. We are neither villains nor victims. Women do not deserve to be treated with disdain or pity.

A childfree woman describes in an honest, strong and very personal way the thoughts and feelings associated with not having the desire to have children in the world where motherhood is seen as the most natural part of being a woman.

ebook
Published August 1st 2016 by Woman Books

To ask other readers questions about Do I Have To Be A Mother?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do I Have To Be A Mother?

Start your review of Do I Have To Be A Mother?: A Childfree Woman's Honest and Unspoken Thoughts and Feelings
Bente N
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It is wonderful that someone finally touch upon this taboo in a decent and honest manner. It is sad that we need be embarrassed not to have children – but rest assured, you get wiser as you get older. I have finally reached a stage where I do not care very much what others think and I hope you will get there soon.
I am 56 and live a very full life as child-free. I have never wanted children of my own – and was never a babysitter as a teenager. All this said, I am sure that had I had children they
Bente N
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is wonderful that someone finally touch upon this taboo in a decent and honest manner. It is sad that we need be embossed not to have children – but rest assured, you get wiser as you get older. I have finally reached a stage where I do not care very much what others think and I hope you will get there soon.
Anja Lysholm
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As someone who never wanted to have children, it was great to read Karin's book as I recognized myself all the way. I only wished it had been available to me when I was younger and felt deeply troubled by not being like everyone else. It would have given me a great sense of relief. I'm so glad it's out there now to women who are struggling with this issue.
Turi H
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book. A very honest book about choosing to not have children, even though the surrounding society expects you to. A very brave book too.
Olivia Thomas
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Great personal insight into choosing to be child free.

This book was really well written and flowed well for me. I managed to devour the book in a few hours. This is a really personal account about one woman's story in deciding whether children were for her or not. As someone who has always loved kids and thought I wanted children of my own it has offered me a unique insight into choosing not to reproduce.
Ella
Feb 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had hoped for broader information and tips for childless women of all stripes and all "choices."

I applaud anyone being smart and strong enough to know they don't want to mother. Motherhood is far more than giving birth, and if one's heart isn't in it, then please DO NOT HAVE KIDS. Kids need 100% parents, and they know ambivalence. There are good points to this book, and women who have chosen early on not to bear children will find a lot to like between these covers. If nothing else, they will
Mariya
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
+ An ok writing and good intentions.
- Nothing new. It get's repetitive in the second half. All over the place, no structure. It's all about experience of one woman (the author).
Sara
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I am conflicted about this book. Though I think it is a wonderfully brave topic to tackle, the content of the book fell rather flat for me.

It is a very personal story about coming to terms with the choice to live a childfree existence. Many times throughout the book I felt as though I was reading the secret diary of someone. It is a very intimate, emotional and subjective story. Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with that. I guess I just had other expectations.

I had hoped the book
Rachel
Oct 19, 2017
Goodreads Librari...: Link to Amazon 14 197 Oct 10, 2016 10:18AM

• The Atheist Muslim: A Journey from Religion to Reason
  • Grace Under Pressure (Manor House Mystery, #1)
  • STARGATE ATLANTIS: From the Depths (SGX-08)
  • Threshold (Whyborne & Griffin, #2)
  • Eidolon (Whyborne & Griffin, #1.5)
  • Book'em Sadie (Iron Badges, #1)
Karin Rahbek is author of Do I Have To Be A Mother? – A Memoir Of Love And Searching For Female Identity. Will she regret not having children with her perfect partner? Or will she have to leave him to have children with another man?

To participate in the groundbreaking research for her upcoming book on worldwide living having no children: Visit Karin's website at www.NoKidsLife.com.

She is featured
“Real women have children, wise women choose for themselves.” 6 likes
“I would rather go for a life with love and good friendships than family and children.” 5 likes