Start by marking “Mabel Opal Pear and the Rules For Spying” as Want to Read:
Mabel Opal Pear and the Rules For Spying

Mabel Opal Pear and the Rules For Spying

A young spy gets entangled in an action-filled, whodunit mystery! When Mabel's parents leave town without warning, she isn't worried. They're spies, after all. But when her beloved Aunt Gertie is arrested for leading a smuggling ring, then her obnoxious Uncle Frank and Aunt Stella show up, demanding to be let into the family's private museum things begin to look fishy. Esp ...more
Published October 1st 2017 by Capstone Young Readers (first published September 30th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Mabel Opal Pear and the Rules For Spying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mabel Opal Pear and the Rules For Spying

Start your review of Mabel Opal Pear and the Rules For Spying
Sara
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fun page-turner of a mystery with awesome characters (from Mabel Opal herself to her full-of-surprises cousin Victoria and Victoria's dense parents) in a fantastic setting, a small town near Mt. Rainier in the Pacific Northwest. Spies, double agents, stolen goods, antique spoons, hikes, delicious cinnamon pity buns, and clues at every turn - I didn't want to leave Moppet's world.
Joanne O'Sullivan
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a fun, funny little book! Mabel lives in a place that's ripe for mystery: in the tiny town of Silverton, in the shadow of Mt. Rainer. Her family runs the local antique spoon museum (love this!), but her parents have another super secret job: they are Cleaners, called in to mop up when a spy mission goes amiss. During those times when her parents are globetrotting, Mabel has to stay with Aunt Gertie. When nefarious Uncle Frank and his family blow back into town, poor Aunt Gertie ends up in j ...more
Dee
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-releases
What a fun book! I love middle grade with kid spies and this story was a great read. She's smart, clever, and definitely won my heart. Kids (and adults) will love this one.
Wendy Heipt
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is smart. It's well-written, has a likable protagonist, and kept me interested from start to finish. I can honestly say that it is the book I would give to any YA reader! My hope is that it's the start of a series??????
Ms. Yingling
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Public Library Copy

Mabel and her parents live in a very small town that caters to tourists and hikers near Mount Rainier. Her aunt runs a bakery nearby, her mother runs the family's spoon museum, and her father repairs communications wiring. BUT... her parents are also spies who do "cleanup" in far flung countries, and as a side project also try to give back a lot of historical artifacts that Mabel's mother's parents stole back in the 1960s! When her parents are on their latest missi
Edshara
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
*I received an electronic ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book was a pleasant surprise and I am so happy that I was given the opportunity to read it.

I am a big fan of good communication in books and Mabel Opal Pear and the Rules For Spying did not disappoint. It was so refreshing to see that even though Mabel's parents led a secretive life, she was in on it. The story is a good mix of telling Mabel enough to keep her alert, yet not so much that she w
Awanish Verma
Apr 05, 2018 is currently reading it
I am good.
Tate Linden
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing book! The setting was very creative, as well as the plot line. I loved how complex the characters were and how at some points, you couldn't tell who the antagonist was. The idea for the book was incredibly original and it drew me in from the beginning. I loved it! I would recommend this book for anyone who enjoys mystery books and spy books, but especially people from late elementary school through middle school. I, as an eighth grader, loved this book and highly recommend re ...more
Darcy Miller
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much I don't even know where to start! Mystery! Adventure! Code names! Cinnamon rolls! Reverse heists! Dastardly relatives who feed children sardines for breakfast! Spoons! More spoons! And to top it all off, characters who will steal your heart on the first page!

Mabel Opal Pear is the heroine we all wish we could have been; brave, resourceful, independent, and smart as a whip. Trust me; you're going to love her.
Arlene Bolton
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Middle Grade Mystery" - that's one of my most-used book search terms. Mabel Opal Pear is the perfect book for me. Favorites for Reference: The Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, Nancy Drew, Mr. Lemoncello's Library and the Book Scavenger.
Sarah E.
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was gifted this book via Netgalley.

The title, cover, and synopsis of this book drew me in immediately. A little ten year old named Mabel -- come on! How cute is that! I think my galley was missing a few pages in front and back, but I got most of the rest of the novel and ADORE it. I cannot wait for this to come out and for my 9 year old daughter and 10 year old son to be able to read it. I know they will both love it too. I think the inner child in all of us once wanted to be a spy and this boo
Connie
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Even though this book is recommended for children aged 9-12, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The story has an interesting assortment of characters which include: the resilient and clever Mabel, AKA Moppet; her conniving cousin Victoria; a group of 9 close school friends; missing parents and an aunt in trouble with the law. Moppet is on her own, as the adults in the book are either out to take advantage of her or aren’t paying attention to what is really going on.

This is a wonderful book for
Liz
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
To the unsuspecting public, Mabel Opal Pear’s parents live sedate, quiet lives in their tiny town of Silverton. Her mom runs an antique spoon museum, and her dad works in the nearby national park. But Mabel knows the truth: her parents are spies who travel the world cleaning up messes.

When Mabel’s parents leave on an unexpected and extended spy mission, her hateful aunt and uncle arrive to look after her. Mabel has to keep herself safe while uncovering the real reason her aunt and un
Casey Lyall
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
MABEL OPAL PEAR AND THE RULES FOR SPYING is one of my favourite types of middle grade books: smart and funny! When Mabel's spy parents go off the grid and her aunt is accused of heading up an international smuggling ring AND her *mostly likely evil* uncle starts lurking around the family's private museum, it's up to Mabel to save the day. Luckily, she's been training and has just the right skills for the job.

Quirky, engaging characters, delightful relationships, and clues that will keep you gue
Melissa
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amanda Hosch’s delightful middle-grade debut, MABEL OPAL PEAR AND THE RULES FOR SPYING, tells the story of the eponymous Mabel Opal Pear, a plucky almost-11-year-old whose parents are international spies. While Mabel’s parents are away on a top-secret spy mission, young Mabel is cared for by her beloved, cinnamon-bun-baking aunt Gertie. But when Gertie is falsely arrested for smuggling and is sent to jail, Mabel smells a rat - namely, evil Uncle Frank and his equally evil wife, Stella. To solve ...more
Jessi
Mabel Opal Pear is not your ordinary almost-11-year-old. For one thing, her parents are spies. For another, she's a spy-in-training. She knows immediately that something is wrong when her parents disappear and her Aunt Stella, Uncle Frank, and Cousin Victoria show up. Victoria is mean, Frank is clueless and Stella is something else. Normally Aunt Gertie takes care of Mabel but she's in jail. So it's up to Mabel to not only run the family spoon museum but also figure out the mystery.
I could
Vicki Conrad
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Get this for your middle grade reader, it is a must read. Mabel Pear lives in a small town under Mt. Ranier, where cell service is spotty, the locals are quirky, and things get very complicated. Mabel's parents are spies, her aunt runs the local diner, the families spoon museum, and cares for Mabel while they are on missions. Mabel is training to be a spy of her own. When her parents cannot be reached, and a new local detective is acting suspicious, Mabel's spy skills get tested.
This book is fa
Rachel Rooney
A 2019-2020 Missouri Mark Twains Readers Award preliminary nominee (grades 4-6).

Mabel's family's spoon museum is really a front for their secret spy identities. After all they can travel the world looking at spoons at estate sales and who would get suspicious? Anyway, Mabel's parents leave town suddenly, her aunt is arrested, another aunt and uncle show up who are not exactly on good terms with the rest of the family, and it is up to Mabel to figure out what is going on.

T
Sheryl Scarborough
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mabel Opal Pear will steal your heart and you'll be okay with that. She's super smart and savvy and she has a lot to keep up with. She dispenses with the parents in a very believable, organic way. And then she brings in an aunt and uncle reminiscent of the Dursleys. Frankenstella (the uncle + aunt) were horrible and she handles them in a believable manner. I loved Stanley and all the clues...the capital cities, the bat houses, the code names, the fake sunflowers. Every bit added to the enjoyment ...more
Jarrett Lerner
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A masterfully crafted, sharply written mystery-adventure with a unique, exciting premise and a cast of complex, intriguing characters. Mabel is a realistically flawed but exceptionally admirable protagonist, her ingenuity, loyalty, and courage standing out amid the story's shadier individuals. She's also just plain funny. Action, humor, and a bunch of excellent characters, all wonderfully written and bound up in a cleverly concocted mystery -- what more could a reader possibly ask for?
Scott
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, read-aloud
This is a sweet book. A mystery with a nice balance of tension and humor. Not at all scary (for those kids sensitive to that). A girl lead character and boy sidekick, both well rounded and not stereotyped, makes it accessible to boy and girl readers.
Danielle
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade-ya
A super fun mystery starring young sleuth MOP (Mabel Opal Pear), her secret agent parents, some pesky relatives, and a whole small town of interesting and interwoven characters. It'll draw you in and delight you as it does!
Alexandra Ott
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun, smart middle grade book. The mystery kept me turning pages until the very end. Middle grade readers will love Mabel's rules for spying, and mystery fans of any age will definitely enjoy this!
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A national park, rules for secret agenting, cinnamon rolls and one intrepid spy-in-training make this one fun book! Teachers and librarians, this is a perfect addition for your middle grade mystery collections.
Jaymie
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding! Loved Mabel and her best friend Stanley (I would have loved more Stanley time), fantastic mystery! A few questions left open for a sequel. That will be a definite "must read" for me.

I received an electronic ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Jonathan Rosen
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was such an adorable book. I loved it, and thought the mystery was a lot of fun. Kids will devour this. It was quirky and fun and Mabel was a great character. I highly recommend this, and look forward to more from this author!
Wensday
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a debut novel, I found this was well written and entertaining. The story flowed well and I enjoyed this introduction to Mable. I’m hoping that there are more adventures to come from this author.

I received this book complimentary from NetGalley for my honest review.
Maeghin
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arc
Mabel Opal Pear A.K.A MOP A.K.A. Moppett A.K.A. Sunflower!!

What a fun read! Great story for kids in middle school.
Deb
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I won this book from Goodreads. It was a good story but I found it a little drawn out. I will be passing the book on for others to enjoy.
Supriya Kelkar
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was such a delightful mystery! And I adored the resourceful, strong, intelligent Mabel Opal Pear!

• Incinerator (Crusher, #2)
  • It Wasn't Me
  • Strange Lies (Strange Truth, #2)
  • The Princess Games
  • Best. Night. Ever.: A Story Told from Seven Points of View
  • Here Where the Sunbeams Are Green
  • A Properly Unhaunted Place
  • Things Too Huge to Fix by Saying Sorry
  • Revenge of the Evil Librarian
  • Audacity Jones to the Rescue (Audacity Jones #1)
  • Vanished! (Framed #2)
  • Paths & Portals (Secret Coders, #2)
  • Artemis: Wild Goddess of the Hunt (Olympians, #9)
  • Me, Frida, and the Secret of the Peacock Ring
  • Every Inferno
  • How We Roll
  • Vilonia Beebe Takes Charge
  • The Jolly Regina (The Unintentional Adventures of the Bland Sisters #1)