Start by marking “Jack West Jr and the Hero's Helmet (Jack West Jr, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
Jack West Jr and the Hero's Helmet (Jack West Jr, #3.5)

Jack West Jr and the Hero's Helmet

(Jack West Jr #3.5)

Late on Christmas Eve, decorated SAS officer and Egyptologist Jack West Jr is about to make a discovery that could rewrite history.

In the ancient Temple of Dendur, housed in New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art, a legendary weapon has lain hidden for millennia.

But Jack is not the only person who knows about the artifact's existence. As Jack examines the temple in the dese

Published September 1st 2016 by Orion

To ask other readers questions about Jack West Jr and the Hero's Helmet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack West Jr and the Hero's Helmet

Start your review of Jack West Jr and the Hero's Helmet (Jack West Jr, #3.5)
Brenda
Going to the Met to view the Temple of Dendur was something Jack did on a regular basis – but this time he had work to do. 8.45pm just as the museum was closing, and Jack along with his friend Max had to find some evidence that was reported to be in part of the temple.

Would they find what they were looking for? Or was there danger lurking in the shadows?

Jack West Jr and the Hero’s Helmet is a very short story by Aussie author Matthew Reilly and I wasn’t overly impressed I’m afraid. An abrupt and
Kirra
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Matthew Reilly released a short story (for free!) about how Jack West Jr came to have his memorable helmet. He's so young and has yet to go through everything that happens in the series but he's still a well-known man with many accomplishments. I love that as we come into the story he's describing the Temple of Dendur but then the illusion breaks and he's in the Metropolitan Museum of Art! I agree that it seemed repetitive (hence the four stars) but I thoroughly enjoyed being immersed into that ...more
Shelly
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I have to say I read this because I was desperate. Desperate to read some Matthew Reilly while I impatiently await his new Jack West Novel - and having read everything else he has written.

It was full of typical Reilly excitement and action and it's great to get an insight if small, of how he came into possession of something that is such an integral part of his persona.

While I am of course disappointed it's so short (you can never get enough Jack West or Matthew Reilly), if he is spending
Sahitya
Haa... I can’t even imagine Jack as a young 25 year old anymore. And seeing him actually walk away from an assassin, now that was unexpected.

But it felt nice to see the early signs of his obsession with Egyptian mythology and reading about Max just made me want to pick up Seven Ancient Wonders again 😊😊😊
Robert
Jul 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: x2019-20-season
Ridiculous fights, hints of hidden history, and a surfeit of exclamation points. In other words, written by Matthew Reilly.
Jeremy
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it
too short. but get's the point across
The Cats’ Mother
Very short story set before the events of the first book in the Jack West series, when Jack is only 25, and studying archeology. His brief adventure describes how he acquired his fireman's hat. The best bit was the hint at the epilogue, that the next book, which comes out next month, features not just JW but another hero... Please please let it be Scarecrow!
Karina
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-books
Yes, it's like 20 pages long, but that still counts as a book Goodreads! I will reach my reading goal if it kills me. Or makes me cheat ;-)

This was a fantastic little interlude. It's been a while since I've read the series so I liked this little reboot to remind me of characters.

Besides, only Reilly can fit this much badassery in 20 pages.
Lee
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Short, but very fun book. Highly enjoyable even though it took me 5 minutes. Based before all the books and even before his rescuing of Lily. Was good. 4/5
Brad
Sep 29, 2016 rated it liked it
It is nice to have a back story to the helmet but I expected a bit more. I am expecting that this is a lead into something that occurs in the next Jack West book.
Roopkumar Balachandran
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Book cover, foreground shows a fireman's precinct FDNY 17 helmet and a temple of Dendur in the background.

A SAS Officer and Egyptologist Jack West Jr. has postulated in Journal of Egyptian Archaeology, that the sandstone in temple of Dendur is embedded with a knife of Osiris, the god of afterlife, underworld and resurrection. The 800 ton temple was given as gift by Egyptian Government to the United States, the temple was dismantled from its original position on the Nile, South of Aswan and
Aseel
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
Interesting and short read, kind of explained the helmet but also kind of boring so it wasn’t really worth the effort of even having this exist
Sonia
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it
As a stand alone short story, not one of the better ones of the fantastic Mr Reilly. However as a setup, reading it as an avid fan of Jack West, it was a nice little teaser for the next book, which I've not yet read.
Hemantkumar Jain
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Yep. Probably the first time i would say something from MR is only OK and worth about 1-2 stars.

The story is too short and very un-MR-like.

maybe it bcos it belongs to a time when Jack West Jr was too young to be a badass explorer but still ... it was kind of disappointing to see the lack of MR-like action and thrill ...
Jo
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: thrillers
This is a short story about how Jack West Jr aquired his fireman helmet. This was only 23 pages long and although it was interesting to find out how Jack aquired his helmet it didn't have the same intensity as a full novel.
3 stars
Ankana
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
The ending is way too abrupt for my liking. Even as a short story, this felt incomplete.
Angela
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice quick read that gives a little bit of history of Jack.
Ian
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jack West Jr and Professor Max T. Epper are visiting the Sackler Wing of the New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art with special permission to view and x-ray a brick in the Temple of Dendur, that was donated to the USA by the Egyptian government. On Christmas Eve of all times!

Just when Jack is getting a picture of a knife inside the brick, a fire alarm is set off and the building is evacuated for the fire service to secure the building.

Only when a young boy mentions that the F.D.N.Y 17 fire truck
Gemma
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Just gave this a quick read on my brand new Kindle - YAY - and loved it. But I will read everything Matthew Reilly ever writes. I adore his writing and characters.

This was a very short teaser to keep us sated while we wait for the next Jack West story. Sort of an origin story for the fabled fireman helmet and some backstory for the villains in Seven Ancient Wonders (the Ra/sun cult worshippers).

Very enjoyable. Very short. I'm so excited for the next Jack West tale!

Happy reading.
~Gem.
Wayne
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this yesterday and as usual it is.brilliant. The same unrelenting action, excellent characterization, lots of suspense and lots of history thrown in. I also noticed something not usually found in Matthew Reillys books ~ a subtle change of pace. Normally it's full.on or back.to full on. This seemed different as it was a little more reserved. I'm very curious to see if that is carried over to his next novel (which this is a prelude to ).
A great short story.
Sally
Sep 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
5 minutes I'll never get back. So disappointed - where's the Matthew Reilly that so thrilled me in the past? The writing was excessive in information without saying anything, didn't make sense with timeframes or character behaviour, over-use of adjectives, bad similes, repeated and unnecessary information... This one actually makes the Great Zoo of China look decent.
Aaron Advani
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Short but very sweet, so now we know how Jack got the fireman's helmet.
Is this also a lead in to the next novel, I didn't read the opening of book 3 as want to savour it when it comes out in November, if it isn't then there will be more to come in a few years time.
Matthew is a master and should be a superstar.
Joanne
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great short story can't wait for the new book
C D
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it can't wait for more Jack West Jr
Simone
Sep 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Good little short story prequel to set up the next book in the Jack West Jr series. Excited for The Four Legendary Kingdoms!!
dennis barron
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting and fast paced short story . Anyone who knows the character knows all about the helmet! West learned a valuable life lesson.. Nothing is what it appears to be. Enjoyed!
Trevor
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Quick read, as a welcome back to Jack West. Goes back to tell how he acquired his trusty fireman's helmet & maybe a clue to future events. ...more
Matthew
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I first encountered Jack West Jr. in Afghanistan in 2009, through a donor library and it made me always want to know more about his character and origin story. Matthew Reilly crafts such dynamic characters and takes them on such chaotic adventures! But the stories span such a length of time, you always wonder about what makes the characters tick. This scratched an itch about Jack and one of his signature calling cards and perhaps some foreshadowing.
Elizabeth Wilson Higgins
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great

I love Mathew Reilly's books both Scarecrow and Jack West jnr. It was great to get an insight to Jack West jnr's life and see what helped to formulate the Hero he becomes.. Only problem was it was short and lwould love to read more if his background. Can't wait to read the new book Four Legendary kingdoms
Roger
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Like a lot of internet releases Jack West Jr and the Hero's Helmet suffers because it is so ultra-short. Yes it is inarguable that this is more of a teaser than anything else, but author Matthew Reilly can barely get any traction before boom! the story is over. The action is fast and furious but there is not enough of it. Glad this was a free download.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Only the Worthy (The Way of Steel, #1)
  • Dark Rising (Alex Hunter, #2)
  • The 10th Cycle (Rossler Foundation #1)
  • This Green Hell (Alex Hunter, #3)
  • Sharks (King & Slater #6)
  • The Resurrection Key (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase #15)
  • The Doomsday Prophecy (Ben Hope, #3)
  • Signalz: An Adversary Cycle Novel
  • No Kissing Allowed (No Kissing Allowed #1)
  • Olympus
  • 20th Victim (Women's Murder Club, #20)
  • Rock Me Two Times (Rock Band, #1)
  • The Envious Siblings: and Other Morbid Nursery Rhymes
  • Stargate Universe Vol. 1: Back to Destiny
  • The Fourth Man (Jack Reacher, #23.5)
  • The Patient Man (DI Jackman & DS Evans, #6)
  • From Hell: Alex Hunter 8
  • The Fossil
Born in Sydney in 1974, Matthew Reilly was not always a big fan of reading. It was only after he read To Kill A Mockingbird and Lord of the Flies in Year 10 that he realised reading could transport you to another world. Following this revelation, Matthew soon began creating stories of his own and set about writing his first novel, Contest, at the age of 19 while still at university studying law.

Fo

Jack West Jr (6 books)
  • Seven Deadly Wonders (Jack West Jr, #1)
  • The Six Sacred Stones (Jack West Jr, #2)
  • The 5 Greatest Warriors (Jack West Jr, #3)
  • The Four Legendary Kingdoms (Jack West Jr, #4)
  • The Three Secret Cities (Jack West Jr #5)
  • The Two Lost Mountains (Jack West Jr, #6)