Start by marking “Roma Amor: A Novel of Caligula's Rome” as Want to Read:
Roma Amor: A Novel of Caligula's Rome

Roma Amor: A Novel of Caligula's Rome

In this story of secrecy and betrayal, which reviewers are calling "a complete page turner," "beautifully written," and "a great read," Caligula Caesar has just become Rome's new master. Senator Titus Carinna, who helped him succeed to the throne, knows the inexperienced young ruler needs a companion he can trust. It's a pity the Senator's older son, Caligula's closest ...more
Published August 23rd 2016 by Bexley House Books

To ask other readers questions about Roma Amor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roma Amor

Start your review of Roma Amor: A Novel of Caligula's Rome
Jane
"...a man who would be great must have both the 'Roma' and the 'Amor.' But he must be able to balance them; duty to what is eternal with love of what is mortal and flawed. A balance my father found at the end and which I must find in myself." So muses Marcus Licinius Carinna in the poignant last chapter of the novel.

This novel was a pleasant surprise to read! No battles in this one, but a marvelous evocation of Rome through the story of a particular patrician family, the Licinii
Stephanie (Bookfever)
I'm not going to beat around the bush, this book was simply amazing. It ended up as a top favorite of mine. It's also one of the best books I've read about Ancient Rome. It's right up along with some of my favorite authors in the same genre like Kate Quinn and Ben Kane. I loved it!

This book takes place during the reign of one of the most infamous Roman emperors, Caligula. It is written in the point of view of Marcus Carinna who's older brother (and Caligula's closest friend) commited suicide
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
When I picked this one up, I got much more than I was expecting. I got an in-depth read of a time and place that has been talked about over the history of this world. Rome. The intricacies of the rise and fall, the makings of the politics involved, the allegiances, the backstabbing, the loyalties. You can feel the world painted come to life with the words and the detailed paid to the surrounding atmosphere.

I found this to be one of the best if not the best book on ancient Rome that I have ever
gj indieBRAG
We are proud to announce that ROMA AMOR: A NOVEL OF CALIGULA’S ROME by Sherry Christie is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells a reader that this book is well worth their time and money!
Elysium
Marcus Carinna isn’t happy when his father orders him to leave the army life behind and come back to Rome and befriend the new Caesar Caligula. Three years ago Marcus’ brother (and Caligula’s best friend) committed suicide after charged with treason and Marcus hasn’t forgiven his father that he let it happen. It’s after he becomes Caligula’s friend he starts to unravel old family secrets.

I liked Marcus who was so devoted to learning the truth about his brother’s death. He had earned quite a
Danielle Bonam
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Christie captures the crazed Caligula perfectly in this divinely tragic tale. How horrifying to be under the scrutiny of these powerful madmen. Although one should be rather proficient in their knowledge of Ancient Rome before tackling this novel, it is quite the page turner.

Marcus Carinna has been called home from his German campaign by his father in preparation for the Princep, Caligula's death. Marcus finds Caligula recovered but perhaps a tad crazed by his brush with death. Marcus is asked
Paul Bennett
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whenever I think of Caligula, I see John Hurt's I,Claudius portrayal, one of a madman ruling an empire. In Roma Amor, we find a different Caligula, one who is still working out how to be Emperor while trying to keep at bay the tormenting demons in his mind. This story, while it is certainly about Caligula, is more than that. Marcus Carinna returns to Rome, a successful military campaign completed and hostages in tow and finds himself in a struggle to find the truth about his family and the truth ...more
Rebecca
This engrossing book kept me up all night! The characters are sympathetic and well-drawn, and throughout the novel, I was hoping for a happy ending.

There are many novels set in ancient Rome. Sometimes these are unintentionally hilarious (a few authors write about people driving chariots around the city like cars, or wearing togas to all occasions). The author’s knowledge of this historical period is extensive and faultless and her love for this world is apparent. This novel creates a vivid and
Helen Hollick
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has received a Discovering Diamonds Review:
"Ms Christie’s characters are well portrayed, with the everyday life in Rome equally as intriguing, from slave to Emperor. The streets, the homes, the palaces are all well drawn and feel believable. There are some exciting descriptions and scenes, some romance, some fighting, some adventure… enough to please most readers who enjoy novels about Rome."

Helen Hollick
founder #DDRevs
Claudine
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. It was well written, and I enjoyed the time period. The author really gives you a sense of what it was like to have lived in Rome during Caligula's reign. My only criticism is that the book is quite long. I think it could have been paired down a bit. Otherwise, it was a great story and I hope to see more from this author.
Barbara
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written with all the elements needed for a interesting historical nov l.
Alana White
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a thoroughly entertaining and beautifully written historical novel set in 37 AD, when Caligula Caesar is Rome's new master. Very highly recommended.
Kimberly
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Roma Amor: A Novel of Caligula’s Rome", is a complete page turner by author Sherry Christie! I had shied away from reading historical fiction set during the Roman Empire the past couple of years, but I thought this one sounded interesting, so I gave it a chance. So glad I did! I feel like I was able to learn so much about the inner workings of the Roman Empire as I read, but never once did I feel as though it lagged or became overly text book like. Prior to this novel, my only experience with ...more
Evenstar
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written novel that provides a glimpse of ancient Rome.
Marilyn
Oct 20, 2019
Clare Wilson
rated it did not like it
Feb 02, 2017
Dec 07, 2016
Jenny Q
Oct 25, 2016 marked it as to-check-out  ·  review of another edition
Gods, Ghosts, and Germans in Caligula’s Rome, a guest post
by Sherry Christie plus a giveaway @ Let Them Read Books!
Marcia Snidow

• Shoeless Joe
  • To Hell and Back
  • 1453: The Holy War for Constantinople and the Clash of Islam and the West
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Molly-Boy Murders
  • In Chancery (The Forsyte Chronicles, #2)
  • Darkness, Take My Hand (Kenzie & Gennaro, #2)
  • The Man of Property (The Forsyte Chronicles, #1)
  • To Let (The Forsyte Chronicles, #3)
  • A Drink Before the War (Kenzie & Gennaro, #1)
  • Sacred (Kenzie & Gennaro, #3)
  • Marilyn Monroe: The Biography
  • Templar Silks (William Marshal #6)
  • The Serpent of Venice
  • Viking Bravery (Dragonheart Book 23)
  • Art's Most Beautiful Women: A Kindle Coffee Table Book
  • Massimo (Massimo Trilogy #1)
AMBER ROAD: A NOVEL OF ROME AND THE WILDERNESS, next in the Roma Amor series, is on its way to publication later this summer! (See below for a brief teaser.)

In the meantime, I'm thrilled that ROMA AMOR, my first novel about Caligula's Rome, has been getting great reader reviews. If you like historical fiction with a mystery at its heart, you may really enjoy it.

Like many novelists, I've been