Start by marking “The Widow of Wall Street” as Want to Read:
The Widow of Wall Street

Read Book* *Different edition

The Widow of Wall Street

A provocative new novel by bestselling author Randy Susan Meyers about the seemingly blind love of a wife for her husband as he conquers Wall Street, and her extraordinary, perhaps foolish, loyalty during his precipitous fall.

Phoebe recognizes fire in Jake Pierce’s belly from the moment they meet as teenagers. As he creates a financial dynasty, she trusts him without
Published April 11th 2017 by Atria Books

Start your review of The Widow of Wall Street
Deanna
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

I wasn't sure how Wall Street/Ponzi scheme aspect of the book was going to work for me. However, I have read a couple of other books from Randy Susan Meyers and really liked them. So I figured I would go for it and I'm really happy I did.

November 2009

"Phoebe never hated her husband more than when she visited him in prison"

Told from Phoebe's point of view. The trip to prison is eleven hours by cab, bus, and train. Visits
Julie
The Widow of Wall Street by Randy Susan Meyers is a 2017 Atria Books publication.

With Wall Street and finance, loop holes can go undetected for long periods of times, especially if everyone is doing well. But, sooner or later, the piper demands payment, something Jake Pierce finds out the hard way, which elicits very little sympathy from me, but it’s the innocent victims, like his wife and children, who will pay the ultimate price for his sins.

This story examines the lives of Phoebe and Jake
Christine
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, net-galley
4.5 stars (rounded up to 5 stars)

Outstanding! What a HEFTY piece of women’s fiction this is.

The tale is spun over 5 decades. We learn in chapter one that Jake Pierce, a high echelon broker, ends up in prison for fraud in his mid 60s, 45 years or so after marrying 18-year-old Phoebe. This is their story.

I must say the first half of the book was slow in places. This was not helped by the fact that I had really mixed feelings about Jake, with more bad than good vibes. During that time frame I had
Bibi
May 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Widow of Wall Street is a fictionalised accounting of the Bernie Madoff type scandal told from the POVs of the wife, Phoebe, and the mastermind, Jake.

It's the scandal that toppled the Enron/Arthur Anderson debacle from the apex of most salacious financial crimes list; the Madoff Ponzi scheme ruined too many lives catapulting his family to infamy, making them the "most hated people in America".

With the story in the headlines for years and with at least a half-dozen fiction and non-fiction
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
I recently read "Accidents of Marriage", by Randy Susan Meyers....
......which explores the topic of destruction of verbal abuse.
Red flag signs may not have been obvious 'before' the couple's marriage in "Accidents of Marriage" regarding anger issues.....
BUT....
In "The Widow of Wall Street"....the Red flag - trouble warning signs were visible 'before' marriage.

Phoebe and Jake begin their marriage with a lie between them....and 'young'.
Phoebe's mother tried to discourage Phoebe from the start
Linda
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Just like Shylock in Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice, "a pound of flesh" may be entered into the offering when it comes to money.

Phoebe and Jake met when they were just teenagers back in the 1960's in Brooklyn. Simpler times with simpler roads to satisfaction. Hard work with long hours was the norm. Families circled the wagons around one another in a few blocks' radius. You stayed where you played.

But once you've tasted the nectar of the gods in an upscale neighborhood, Brooklyn is in the
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

Phoebe always was a girl who loved her books, and she found a husband who also loved his books, but a different kind than Phoebe loved.

Phoebe loved her school books, Jake loved his books that showed his money growing.

Phoebe married Jake at a young age, and Jake said he would always take care of her. Jake's parents had been in some sort of trouble, and Phoebe's mother never liked him.

THE WIDOW OF WALL STREET follows Phoebe and Jake from their teenage years, through the years of marriage, and
Holly  B
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this financial fast paced and addictive read! If you liked The Firm, you'll like this one too.

It follows Phoebe and Jake who meet as teenagers and end up getting married. The story continues until after their children are grown and he lands himself in prison.

Phoebe also has a love interest with one of her college professors. Rob, "You are the satin of youth and I must possess you." This isn't going to turn out well!

After marrying Jake, Phoebe wonders constantly about whether
Bj
4.5 "Hate the Sin but Love the Sinner?" stars!

With Wall Street headlines of Ponzi schemes constantly making the news over the last few decades, my curiosity of getting an inside view at the humanity shrouding the inconceivable greed and lack of moral compass that could fuel such a disaster compelled me to read The Widow of Wall Street. And what a ride it was! I particularly enjoyed the roller coaster of emotions that fueled such disparate feelings of the heroine in this book (the wife of a
Rebecca McNutt
Shocking and shattering and powerful beyond belief, The Widow of Wall Street looks at a woman's life draped heavily in the shadow of her husband's white-collar crimes. Though she leads a largely sheltered existence, she soon finds herself engaged in a mystery and carrying the knowledge of a huge Ponzi scheme. This book is an excellent thriller and I'd definitely recommend it.
Ann Marie (Lit·Wit·Wine·Dine)
You can read this and all of my reviews at Lit·Wit·Wine·Dine

I’m going rogue here. I’m going to do something I’ve never done. I’m going to talk about a book without giving it a rating. I’ll try to explain. I knew when I began reading The Widow of Wall Street that there would be parallels to the life of Ruth and Bernie Madoff. I didn’t realize just how closely related the stories would be. This book is basically a fictionalized retelling of the rise and fall of Ruth and Bernie. Almost every single
Jennifer Blankfein
To see all my reviews go to https://booknationbyjen.wordpress.com.

Inspired by the Bernie Madoff scandal in 2008, author Randy Susan Meyers takes us on an emotional journey inside a fictional Wall Street investment firm to witness how a Ponzi scheme could actually play out and the destruction of lives it could leave in its wake. The Widow of Wall Street begins when Phoebe is visiting her incarcerated husband, Jake, in jail. We then start at the beginning, when the couple meets as teenagers, and
Judy Collins
Randy Susan Myers returns following Accidents of Marriage (2014) with her latest riveting domestic suspense, THE WIDOW OF WALL STREET bold and edgy an inside look at betrayal in a marriage.

The blind love, lies, dark secrets; the unraveling, devastation, and the need to rebuild a life after the fallout of Wall Street and a fraudulent husband's Ponzi scheme. Was the wife living in denial? Or did she know? Fans of CBS The Good Fight, will enjoy this one, especially this week's episode.

Susan Peterson
The Widow of Wall Street is a compelling story about a man, determined to provide "the best" for his family, who finds himself caught up in a whirlwind of finances that he can't escape. When Phoebe marries Jake Pierce, he promises her that he will always take care of her, and he stumbles upon a scheme to become richer than he could ever have imagined. On the surface he looks like a genius, a businessman with a Midas touch, but in fact he's a master of deception; building an empire which has no ...more
Megan
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
" Fortunate are those who can dry the tears of others and blessed are those who can hold their family and friends close" I really enjoyed this book. Even though after a hundred pages or so I could tell where the plot was taking me, I was intrigued by the well rounded characters, financial scandal, family ties and heartbreak. Lastly I felt the authors writing style was phenomenal. 5 Stars !
Patty
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Widow Of Wall Street
By
Randy Susan Meyers

What it's all about...

I believe that this is a book about a totally dysfunctional couple...Phoebe and Jake. They met when they were really young and married while they were really young. Phoebe has that trusting personality that causes her to believe everything that Jake says. Jake is just a really kind of insecure obsessed person...not obsessed in a psychotic way but he is just "not nice" in spite of trying to do "good" things for family and friends.
Marialyce
This novel confirms the old adage that money is the root of all evil. Add greed to the mixture and you produce man such as Jake. While this is definitely taken from the pages of the life of Bernie Madoff, it is told through the wife's perspective.

Phoebe, the unsuspecting wife, eventually comes to the realization that her husband Jake is a scoundrel. While she lives a life of luxury beyond belief, her husband philanders his way to amass a fortune. Problem with his fortune is that it is built on
debra
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3rd time If it does a runner again -I are through!
Audio really enjoyable. Story obvi based on Madoff, but authors skillful writing kept me engaged and interested all the way through.

Read the excellent reviews written by Deanna and Christine. That is- if this friggin review referral stays around long enough for anyone to read. "One never knows..."
Lisa
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An evocative story full of deception and greed, and a woman's ability to survive the devastation.

SUMMARY
Phoebe hates visiting Jack in prison. Phoebe and Jack Pierce have known each other since they were fifteen-year-old teenagers in Brooklyn. They eventually married, when Phoebe was nineteen-years-old. Jack starts up an investment brokerage firm, Jake Pierce Equity, and he promises Phoebe wealth and riches. And he delivers. They move out of Brooklyn, to a house in Greenwich Connecticut on the
Donna Davis
I was invited to read and review this title by Net Galley and Atria Books. To be honest, I wasn’t sure I wanted to read it. What, Wall Street? What does that have to do with the real lives most of us lead? But when I noted that the story involves an enormous tumble off that golden pedestal, I was intrigued. I am really glad I accepted the offer to read, because it contains a feminist subtext that I had no idea would be here. This story will be available to the public April 11, 2017.

I had to read
M.J.
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From its brilliant first sentence - “Phoebe never hated her husband more than when she visited him in prison.” - this book never lets up. It's a mesmerizing story about honesty,dishonestly, emotional abuse, love and recovery. With heart, Meyers tells a story that kept me reading all day and all night. Bravo!
Heather~ Nature.books.and.coffee
Thank you to atria books and getredpr for this free book, in exchange for my honest review. I enjoyed this book although I felt it started out slow. But that was needed for the character development which Randy Susan Meyers did and excellent job. I found her writing easy to follow and she did a fantastic job building the story. I felt a connection to these characters. I felt anger FOR Phoebe. I felt bad for her. Why would she stayed with such a horrible man?!! I wanted to yell "LEAVE!!!". Jake ...more
Basic B's Guide
“All the Botox and other poisons she’d injected, keeping herself perfect for him…the tweaks she’d gotten to look younger. Jake smiled wider. Words from his eyes burned from across the courtroom. The noose tightened.”

The mastermind goes to jail but what happens to the people that are left behind? The Widow of Wall Street gives us a fictionalized look at a family similar to the Madoff’s. Do not pick up this book expecting surprises. We know what happens. It’s the story behind it that the author is
Patricija - ReadOff
Disappointed, mediocre at best.

more at: https://thebookhamster.wordpress.com/...

The main part, and most interesting part is part four if you're skipping
Carol (Bookaria)
An absorbing book about a long-term marriage with a man involved in a Ponzi scheme and what happens to the family and the relationship after the fraud is discovered by the authorities during the economic crisis of 2008. Wonderful!
Andrea
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful fictional account of Bernie Madoff and family. If you enjoyed The Darlings and Silver Girl, you will enjoy this too.
Emily
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"When was enough enough? He didn't only want to consume, he needed to swallow the world whole."

I wasn't sure how I was going to end up feeling about The Widow of Wall Street - for some reason I thought it was going to be a mystery (nobody led me to think this & it was not marketed as this; it's just what I thought). It is definitely not a mystery. It's mainly a family drama with betrayal & secrets. I'm not always into those stories, but I enjoyed this one.

This book is a slow burn. It
s
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2/5 stars

The blurb sounded so promising... I was ready to read about this but everything you need to know about the plot is in the blurb. And it was so contemporary and board line romance. I just assumed and expected more of a mystery.
The Blonde Bookworm
I'll be honest, Wall Street and any kind of investments/stock trade goes totally over my head. When I first picked up The Widow of Wall Street, I was a little scared that I wouldn't understand it. I soon found that wasn't the case at all as this novel is more about relationships and family than it is about Wall Street. After doing a little background research, it seems as though the novel is based on the true story of Bernie Madoff and his life. I found that quite interesting because I read it ...more
Ellen
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book kept me up way past my bedtime last night. It's that rare combination of page-turner and thought-provoking. Meyers brings a wonderful sense of tension and timing to well-drawn characters, and the result is like watching a train-wreck. You can't look away. I loved it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• I Liked My Life
  • The Better Sister
  • The Gifted School
  • Small Admissions
Randy Susan Meyers' internationally bestselling novels are informed by years working with families impacted by family violence— and a long journey from idolizing bad boys to loving a good man.

After years working in social service and criminal justice, Meyers published her first novel, The Murderer’s Daughters—a story of the aftermath of domestic violence—a Target Pick for the country. Her novels
“make sure you choose work that makes you happy” 1 likes
“What I want most is . . .” She stopped. What did she want most? “Honestly, all I need is for us to do three things in this world: take good care of our family, do good work we can be proud of, and concentrate on bringing out the best in each other.” 0 likes