Start by marking “Jane and the Wandering Eye (Jane Austen Mysteries, #3)” as Want to Read:
Jane and the Wandering Eye (Jane Austen Mysteries, #3)

Jane and the Wandering Eye (Jane Austen Mysteries #3)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  2,062 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
In Stephanie Barron's third Jane Austen Mystery, the beloved author embarks on her most perplexing case...as misplaced passions, festering malice, and the desire for revenge serve to conceal the true motives for murder. As Christmas of 1804 approaches, Jane Austen finds herself "insupportably bored with Bath, and the littlenesses of a town, " despite the seasonal gaiety, t ...more
Published November 3rd 2009 by Bantam (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Jane and the Wandering Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane and the Wandering Eye

Kirk
Laurel
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Art, drama and mystery collide in Bath

I confess to being a silly, shallow creature when it comes to my partiality for fine art and the stage. Show me a beautiful Regency-era portrait by Thomas Lawrence or Richard Cosway, mention famous Drury Lane actors Sarah Siddons and her brothers Charles and John Kemble and my sensibilities rival Marianne Dashwood’s fondness for dead leaves. Mix in my favorite author Jane Austen embroiled in a murder mystery centered around artists and actors in Bath, and I
Rachel Dolan
Mar 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few years back I got on a big Jane Austen Fan fiction craze - books with Jane Austen as a main character, books picking up with Darcy and Elizabeth after P&P leaves off...you get the idea. There is this weird overlap of Jane Austen fan fiction and mysteries. I just re-read 3 books from this series - Jane Austen as sleuth. They're pretty awesome, and the wandering eye is the best of the lot. lots of drama in Bath between Jane and her "friend" Lord Harold Trowbridge, "The Gentleman Rogue." I ...more
Kimberly
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery, re-read
I really like this series. I'm a big fan of Jane Austen and enjoy the concept of her being an "amateur detective." I didn't have a clue as to who the killer was, but it all made sense in the end. The witticisms throughout the book remind me very much of Austen's writing. I definitely recommend these books to others who like Jane Austen and enjoy a good cozy mystery. :)
Linda
Jun 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
These books are wonderful, historically accurate mysteries based on the life of Jane Austen. Each one has its own story and develops the characters of Jane, her family and Lord Trowbridge, a mysterious gentleman who slowly becomes a bigger and bigger figure in Jane's life. I'm going to keep reading them as I find them!
Eric Tanafon
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
One thing I really liked about The Wandering Eye is the setting in Jane's native (at this point, anyway) city of Bath. Having read countless English novels over the years, I'm very familiar with London settings as well as locations 'in the country' (often, for some reason, falling within the unpronounceable county of ___shire). But a novel set in Bath is much rarer in my experience--I can't remember another I've read, other than Austen's own Northanger Abbey.

Given this unity of place and the dra
Carole (in Canada)
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: JAFF, Mystery
"If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well/ It were done quickly..." Macbeth

This is the third book in the Jane Austen Mystery series that has Jane in Bath. The book description gives you a good idea of what to expect. All I can say is, if you blink during the first chapter, you will miss some interesting clues...I must have blinked! I didn't catch them!

At one point in the book, Jane and her Gentleman Rogue, Lord Harold Trowbridge, are walking through the labyrinth in Sydney Gardens. That
Marfita
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: period-mystery
Somehow I didn't even care whodunnit. I still enjoyed reading it, though. I suppose that even in Regency times idiots tried to remove murder weapons and end up standing there holding it when someone walks in on them. The writing is engaging and I think I understood what happened.
Ruth
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In 1804, Jane Austen is resigned to a lackluster Christmas season in Bath with her family, until she receives a commission from Lord Harold Trowbridge. The Gentleman Rogue and Jane’s friend and ally through two recent criminal investigations, Lord Harold requests Jane bring her considerable powers of observation to bear on the activities of his niece, Lady Desdemona. Having fled from the unwanted attentions of an ardent suitor, Desdemona takes up residence with her grandmother, the Dowager Duche ...more
Bridgette Redman
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
In Jane and the Wandering Eye, Stephanie Barron finally shows us the wry wit and intelligence Jane Austen possesses. For two books, all of Jane’s acquaintances praise her perspicacity, but rarely do we see it. Certainly, we never see it displayed the way we do in this novel. It is a delightful display.

The book contains the shortest editor’s forward of the three novels, evidence that Barron is growing in confidence in her characters and feeling less of a need to excuse her borrowing from history.
QNPoohBear
Jul 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: austenesque, mystery
Jane, her brother Henry and his wife Eliza are invited to a masquerade party in honor of a troop of actors come to Bath. Jane is tagging along with her more well-to-do relatives to keep an eye on the hostess's granddaughter, Lady Desdemona. Jane was asked specifically by The Gentleman Rogue to look after his niece, who is trying to avoid the man she has just jilted. Just as one of the well-known actors finishes declaiming a speech from Macbeth, the dead body of the theater manager is discovered! ...more
Elizabeth S
Dec 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: n-mystery, z-2011, c-adult
I am enjoying these mysteries featuring Jane Austen as a detective. The mysteries are light, but not boring or mundane. There is a lot of focus on the manners and customs of the times, which is nicely done.

I've mentioned in my review for the first book in the series that the historical footnotes are fun and educational. There is historical info on British society during the early 19th century as well as info on Jane Austen and her family. Something that I'm not sure about is how true are the fac
Diane
Sep 05, 2009 rated it did not like it
The first book in this Jane Austin as detective series was somewhat interesting, especially in its evocation of Jane Austin's style. This third book in the series, however, was a chore to slog through. Barron, who managed to capture Austin's sense of wit in the first book, manages to completely avoid any wit at all in this one. I read it quickly to get to the end, but by the time I got there, I had lost interest in who the murderer was or what the motive for his actions was.

I don't think I need
MAP
This is one of those series that I pick up when I can't decide what I want to read, but I want to read SOMETHING. The books are unremarkable, but consistent, hold my attention, and are basically entertaining.

This book was slightly harder for me to get into -- it took over 70 pages before I really started to connect and care about the mystery. But overall it was a fun little book.
Book Concierge
This is book 3 in the series, and I'm getting a bit tired of the device (Jane Austen as an amateur sleuth).
Carol
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I truly enjoy Stephanie Barron's Jane Austen mysteries. It's like reading Austen's own books, with the language and descriptions and propriety and subtle sass, but with events of Austen's actual life incorporated, and woven with care into the narrative are possible sources of inspiration for characters and choice phrases.

I found this volume in my local used bookstore, and being that I'd only read installments that MENTION Lord Harold Trowbridge, not one that had him in an active role, I bought i
Sally
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
It’s impressive how Barron can get inside Austen’s prose style and her time period. Sometimes it gets a little arch, although She does provide footnotes to make clear when she is referring to real people or situations. This mystery takes place in Bath where Jane helps the Gentleman Rogue—Lord Harold Trowbridge (not sure this is a title the real Jane would have liked) clear his nephew of the murder of a theater manager. The murder takes place at a rout (a masquerade party) and is mixed up with a ...more
Meri-Lyn
Apr 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked the book. It should be 3.5 stars at least. It didn't grab me like the last one. I could put this one down easily instead of reading late into the night. Jane and a character from the first two work together to find the guilty ones in this mystery set in Bath where Jane's family lives. It has some interesting characters but not quite the depth of book 2. I look forward to book 4 to see where Jane is off to next.
Grace
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: regency
Jane Austen and a murder mystery. What could be more fun than that? Ms. Barron does a fantastic job in re-imagining a well known author as a sleuth. While this book was written in the 90's, Barron transports you back to the early 1800’s with everyone’s favorite Jane lingo. You would almost think that you were reading the real-life happenings of Jane Austen with it being written as her diary.

I enjoyed this book, but I think that thus far the second book in this series, “Jane and the Man of the Cl
Tara
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-books
These mysteries are awesome because they satisfy my love of Jane Austen and the Regency time period and my love of a good historical mystery. And there’s always a little dramatic romance thrown in. I enjoyed learning about the eye painting fad that this mystery centers on. Good stuff.
Margaret Rosen
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the other books in this series a little more than this one, mostly because of certain fictional things that happened to real people (trying to avoid spoilers, obviously) in this one. But still fun.
Homerun2
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it

Fun read, particularly for serious Jane Austen fans. I enjoy the style and language but found the plot (as can be the case in historical cozies) somewhat over-complex. I may not read the entire series but I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another if I was in the mood for this genre.
Julie Perry
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I REALLY am enjoying these books! Love the series!
Jen
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one took me a bit to get into. I didn’t find anything at the start to really grab my attention. Once I determined to get into it I quite enjoyed the mystery and the final 200 pages flew by.
Samantha Pajor
I wasn't very drawn in by the mystery in this one, and it was very confusing for most of the book to keep track of the characters!
mary
Jane in Bath at Christmastime. A fancy dress ball and a painting spark the plot.
Francesca Morelli
Terza indagine di Jane Austen
Questo è il secondo libro che ho appena finito di leggere di questa serie.
Prima critica che faccio è la trama che ho letto sul frontespizio del libro e che non corrisponde affatto agli eventi che si sono effettivamente svolti.
Nel primo capitolo avviene l’omicidio che è il soggetto di tutto il racconto e non avviene in teatro ma in una dimora privata di una duchessa durante lo svolgimento di un ballo, le due ragazze, Jane e Desdemona non si conoscono affatto, anzi Jan
Hermioneginny
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Terza indagine di Jane Austen.
Dicembre 1804. Jane è a Bath, annoiata dalla cittadina, quando il suo vecchio amico Lord Harold le chiede un favore: diventare amica di sua nipote, Lady Desdemona, arrivata da Londra per sfuggire a un corteggiatore respinto. Così Jane viene invitata a una festa in maschera, ma un Arlecchino viene assassinato, e viene arrestato il nipote di Lord Harold. Jane non può che aiutare l'amico, anche se la sua famiglia disapprova l'amicizia tra i due...

Sempre appassionante.
Alice
Ceci est le troisième volet de la série de Stephanie Barron dépeignant les aventures d'une Jane Austen jouant à la détective. C'est une série que je trouve sympathique et qui a le grand avantage d'être traduite en français, mais comme je l'ai déjà dit dans mes précédents billets, j'ai beaucoup de mal à assimiler l'héroïne à notre chère Jane.

Et pour ce tome j'ai commis l'énorme erreur de le lire à la suite de Sanditon. Enorme, l'erreur. C'est comme ça que l'on se rend compte à quel point on est
Robin
May 21, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, re-read
Yeah, 3 stars. Hm, can't give it 2.75, can I? Didn't think so.

In explanation -- I really can't say I actually 'liked' this book. I enjoyed reading it, so it was worth a 2-star 'Okay', but the last 15 pages ruined the story for me.

(view spoiler)
  • The Intrigue at Highbury: Or, Emma's Match (Mr. & Mrs. Darcy Mysteries, #5)
  • Postscript from Pemberley (The Pemberley Chronicles, #7)
  • More Letters from Pemberley: 1814-1819: A Further Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Presumption: An Entertainment: A Sequel to Pride and Prejudice
  • And This Our Life (Chronicles of the Darcy Family #1)
  • Assumed Obligation
  • Mr. Darcy's Great Escape: A Tale of the Darcys & the Bingleys (Pride and Prejudice Continues, # 3)
  • Colonel Brandon's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #5)
  • The Darcy Cousins
  • Darcy and Fitzwilliam: A Tale of a Gentleman and an Officer (Darcy and Fitzwilliam, #1)
  • A Match For Mary Bennet: Can A Serious Young Lady Ever Find Her Way To Love?
  • Mrs Darcy's Dilemma

Stephanie Barron was born Francine Stephanie Barron in Binghamton, NY in 1963, the last of six girls. Her father was a retired general in the Air Force, her mother a beautiful woman who loved to dance. The family spent their summers on Cape Cod, where two of the Barron girls
More about Stephanie Barron

Jane Austen Mysteries (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor (Jane Austen Mysteries, #1)
  • Jane and the Man of the Cloth (Jane Austen Mysteries, #2)
  • Jane and the Genius of the Place (Jane Austen Mysteries, #4)
  • Jane and the Stillroom Maid (Jane Austen Mysteries, #5)
  • Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House (Jane Austen Mysteries, #6)
  • Jane and the Ghosts of Netley (Jane Austen Mysteries, #7)
  • Jane and His Lordship's Legacy (Jane Austen Mysteries, #8)
  • Jane and the Barque of Frailty (Jane Austen Mysteries, #9)
  • Jane and the Madness of Lord Byron (Jane Austen Mysteries, #10)
  • Jane and the Canterbury Tale (Jane Austen Mysteries, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • What the Dead Know
    $8.74 $2.99
  • Ragdoll (Detective William Fawkes #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
  • One Moment
    $9.99 $1.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Reach (Grant County, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)