Start by marking “Stranger Than Fanfiction” as Want to Read:
Stranger Than Fanfiction

Stranger Than Fanfiction

Cash Carter is the young, world famous lead actor of the hit television Wiz Kids. When four fans jokingly invite him on a cross-country road trip, they are shocked that he actually takes them up on it. Chased by paparazzi and hounded by reporters, this unlikely crew takes off on a journey of a lifetime--but along the way they discover that the star they love has deep secre ...more
Published February 28th 2017 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Stranger Than Fanfiction, please sign up.
Ella Holmes I just started it. However, I believe it to be freshman in high school and above. If anything, the middle schooler MUST BE mature enough to handle dru…moreI just started it. However, I believe it to be freshman in high school and above. If anything, the middle schooler MUST BE mature enough to handle drug usage, curses, alcholic parents, etc. It is on the more R-Rated end of the PG-13 spectrum. But, as always, Colfer's writing does NOT disappoint.(less)
Aubrie Honestly, this book goes so much more in-depth than a Wattpad fanfiction does. It's a really good read. Also, fanfiction is mostly about movies, carto…moreHonestly, this book goes so much more in-depth than a Wattpad fanfiction does. It's a really good read. Also, fanfiction is mostly about movies, cartoon characters, or real life people. This book gives the characters unique lives with amazing and different personalities and personal problems. The more you read, the more you want to get to know the characters. They all have something about them that anybody can relate to. You may not see yourself in the character as a whole, but you can see tiny aspects of your own character that seems to stand out to you as you read. I would say calling this a "Wattpad fanfic" is pretty much saying a cat is a dog.(less)

Start your review of Stranger Than Fanfiction
Cristina Monica
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt, celebrity
Just like the performers from the club New Directions in the TV series Glee, Sam, Topher, Joey and Mo are misfits who have each other’s backs no matter what.

Cash Carter, the TV star, has a secret that, he believes, will destroy his image, should that secret be revealed to the public. I’m annoyed at that, because his secret, while it is shocking, is not exactly scandalous, so to say it would ‘‘tear his image apart’’ is a big stretch.

Chris Colfer’s voice is a sarcastic one. I personally find it v
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
I checked this out from the library for something I could listen to while I work. Except now I'm wrapped in a blanket and crying, so there's that.
Stacee
I read and loved Struck by Lightning and after reading the synopsis, I was expecting the same sort of witty and sarcastic type of prose. What I found was quite disappointing.

The voices of all of the characters {yes, we do get 5 POVs throughout the story and random thoughts throughout} were very young. I would have never guessed that any of them were on their way to college. There is representation {one character is transgender, one is gay and two are POC}, but it felt more like something thrown
Cassandra
Nov 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reads-of-2017
"It's a tough world to find yourself in, but an even tougher one to be yourself in."

I have always loved Chris Colfer’s novels. His sense of humor melds so perfectly into the genre of YA, it’s like he was born to tell stories about teenagers. His books are always humorous, with a side of unbelievable, and a dash of diversity. Just the way I like them. Add on a soul-crushing ending that would make John Green blush, and you’ve got yourself an authentic Chris Colfer novel.

Despite this being my s
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
This book was in the BLK Book Pool

I chose it because I liked the title & cover - & because I haven't read much YA this year. Although I had heard of the TV programme Glee, I've never watched it, so I hadn't heard of Chris Colfer.

I liked the book. It was written in the flat style, so typical of a lot of modern YA writing - but every now & again, Colfer would show some genuine insight & compassion. The book rarely dragged & I missed all the clues leading up to The Big Scene. This was genuinely mov
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Chris Colfer did it again- surprised me in the most pleasant ways possible with this unexpectedly hilarious but at the same time very touching story about four friends-each battles a social challenge and how their common hero in the person of their favorite actor virtually changed their lives forever when seemingly on a whim, he joins them on their, epic nerdy road trip which of course detoured to several “un-nerdy” adventures.

I think I now have a new favorite author in Mr. Colfer because his w
Krista Regester
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Remember, for every person that doesn’t accept you, you’ll find a dozen who will. It’s a gay law

Hi everyone! It’s me - your not so friendly, favorite book basher. To get through this I had to grit my teeth and swallow my screams. There are so many things that made me very angry! First of all... say it with me UNBELIEVABLE. There is NO WAY that 97.6% of this book could/would ever happen! Because of this it was extremely difficult for me to pay attention to anything else, since it’s portrayed as a
Trish H
Jun 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Why I couldn’t finish this book: a fanfiction fan’s perspective

This is a not-quite-review I have struggled to write for weeks now, and in the interest of full disclosure, it’s not a full review because I could only make it to page 30 of the book in question. That said, after many years critiquing fiction and having my own critiqued, I think when someone doesn’t finish something it’s useful to know why.

I didn’t finish Stranger Than Fanfiction because it made me feel terrible, and because by pa
Thibaut Nicodème
Mar 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Full review on my blog, the Snark Theater.

And speaking of my blog…talk about a missed snark opportunity. Goodreads updates just aren't as convenient as a good ol' blog post.

Like…wow. I started off with an early "eh, 2.5 maybe 3 stars" and it all went downhill. Even an hour ago I was considering 2 stars, but…no. I don't feel indulgent towards this book. And I guess that means Chris Colfer hates me because I'm a critic. Well, I don't care.

For context: I've always liked Colfer's writing until now.
Portia
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Boy oh boy did I hate read this whole book. We received a box of galleys and this was sitting in there. And it continued to sit there for a while and I got it in my head that someone on the staff needed to read it. I thought to myself well, his kids books are really popular and I've heard good things so why don't I give this one a try? I made a huge mistake.

This book is the perfect example of why I am hating on YA right now. Reading through, I felt like Colfer thought to himself, "I am a young g
Jess Maggio
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Y'all.
Do you know
how nervous
I was
to read
this book?

I love Chris Colfer. Have for literally 8 years. I have watched everything he's acted in, read all his books although I still need to catch up on The Land of Stories and, yes, written fanfiction in which he was involved.

So I really needed to like this book. If not just because I don't want to read a book I don't like, but because it would break my heart, you know? To be disappointed.

Which is, ironically enough, a theme covered in this book. Paras
Grüffeline
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"People give you the wrong expectations and then blame you if you can't meet them. It's your fault for not being the person they want you to be. You're the freak. You're the monster. When in reality, you're just trying to be... yourself."

When you reread this book, you have a really different reading experience since you know what's behind all the crazy. Those little things which are already hinting at how this book will end, have a completely different meaning than the first time around. But
Hanah
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, ya
The first half of this book is hilarious. I literally burst into laughter at several different points, causing people to look at me funny. Colfer's snark and sarcasm is used to great effect to illustrate the absurdities of Hollywood, celebrity, and interaction with people who recognize you.

The second half turns more serious and becomes very emotional. Cash gives good advice to the kids for the many struggles they're going through in their own lives. The twist at the end, I saw it coming but it
Iris
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Trigger Warnings: (view spoiler)

It’s been… I don’t even know, two years? since I read this book, and I never really planned on reviewing it.

But oh my fucking god it pissed me off so bad.

Every time I think of this book, I get so worked up because it was SO. FUCKING. BAD.

So I’m going to review it, and hope that’ll let off some steam so I can finally get it off my mind.

It had a lot of components that make a good book –
Natasa
Nov 12, 2016 marked it as maybe
This is like... a headcanon of a fanfic about a celebrity going on a road trip, but from the celebrity's point of view. Sounds like something you'd find on a Tumblr... but then I wouldn't be surprised if Colfer has stumbled across those blogs, hehehe ^^
Lindsay♫SingerOfStories♫
Stranger Than Fanfiction is a book for which the synopsis really doesn't do the story much justice. True, the book is about teen celebrity and four four graduating high school friends going on a road trip. We find out almost immediately that 3 out of the 4 friends have huge secrets. One is gay and going to an extremely conservative college. One is trans and can't admit it to his family or friends or the guy who she(he) knows has a crush on her(him). And the third wants to attend a different coll ...more
Anastasia シ
Full Review on my blog!

Stranger Than Fanfiction is a lot of fun, there’s geeking out for the fictional show Wiz Kids, an abundance of lame roadside attractions across the country, and a dozen new life experiences for these small-town teenagers getting ready to enter the next stage of their life. As secrets are divulged and relationships tested, these close friends and almost-has-been celebrity learn the importance of their friendship and the power of fandom.

The writing style of the book felt ver
John Amory
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbtq-ya-lit
Chris Colfer has a very juvenile writing style. It's not as noticeable or bothersome in his Land of Stories books since they're intended to be read by or to children/pre-teens. But when it comes to Stranger Than Fanfiction, the abundance of exclamation points, unnecessary italics, bad puns, and cringeworthy dialogue overwhelms the reading experience. That last point is especially distracting, particularly as the book moves further along; it's easy to dismiss a few awkward lines, but by the midwa ...more
Anna Oey (ana.andthebookfeels)
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Anna by: Widya Vello
“You need to claim the driver's seat," Cash said. "Never take a backseat in your own life! You gotta take that bitch by the steering wheel with all your might - even if the road is bumpy, even if there's blood under your fingernails, even if you loose passengers along the way. Only you can steer your life in the direction that's best for you.”

This is the first Chris Colfer's book that i've read, and I reallyyyyyyyyy enjoyed it. I really do, and I had a high expectation when I was read this. Also
ريم
Apr 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
I was very excited for this book, I had read and loved his previous YA novel, Struck By Lightning, so i was very excited to hear that Chris was coming out with another YA novel. And the title further intrigued me, like hello, it had FANFICTION in it! I honestly thought of this book as some kind of gift from heaven! Needles to say, this much excitement could only bring disappointment. I think this will explain so much of my opinion. Simply put; I didn’t like this book! And if I were to analyze wh ...more
hpboy13
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book… definitely lives up to the title. It completely stretches the bounds of plausibility to the breaking point. In fact, were this written by anyone else, I would immediately dismiss it as an unrealistic wish-fulfillment story and move on.

But this was written by Chris Colfer, who is on the celebrity side of the fan/celebrity divide. Ergo, the most fascinating thing about this book is the meta aspect of it, where a celebrity is writing about fans hero-worshipping a celebrity. What I wouldn
Vicki Sylvia
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Even though Stranger than Fanfiction felt a tad formulaic at times, I really enjoyed it. This book will speak to anyone who feels that they are a bit different and to anyone who has claimed to be a member of a fandom.

The classic trope of the "pre-college" roadtrip is spiced up when the 4 bestfriend's favorite actor from their favorite tv show joins them. It's every fandom nerds wet dream.

With some interesting twists, and some equally funny and heart felt moments, you can't help but smile and en
Mehsi
This was a magical, sweet, wonderful book.

I am still having a headache, plus I am still lost for words on this book, but I want to try to at least voice my feelings on this book! So bear with me!

This book was even better than I had hoped, it exceeded all my expectations. I had expected what the blurb stated, but it was much more than that. It is about finding a place you belong, about friendship, about being gay, about religion, about transgender, about so much more. The book may sound all swee
Amber
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Topher along with his friends Mo, Sam, and Joey all plan to go on a cross-country road trip to see the sights for the Summer just before they all go their seperate ways and go to college in the Fall. When Topher jokingly invites their favorite actor Cash Carter from the show Wiz Kids to go with them, they get the surprise of their lives when he accepts their offer and goes with them. Will they have the time of their lives or will Cash Carter ruin their trip and their confidence? Read on and find ...more
Ryley (Ryley Reads)
Thanks so much to Hachette Canada for sending me an ARC of this book for an honest review. As always, all opinions are my own.

This story sets itself up to be a light-hearted road trip with a group of friends before college - and I guess it is, but there is a much deeper undertone to the book.

The story follows a group of 4 friends who go on a road trip from Illinois to California before parting ways and heading to college. The group originally became friends because of a TV show called Wiz Kids,
Ariel
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a quick read and a fast paced story about four super fans and best friends taking a road trip and being joined by their absolute favorite actor, Cash Carter. Cash is the type of character that surprises you. Actually, this whole damn book surprised me. We know from the opening chapters that Cash is not happy with his acting career and he's also planning on not returning for season ten of Wiz Kids because of some dark secret... that we don't find out till the end.
All four of these frien
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Debut writer Chris Colfer, one of the actors on Glee, tells the story of Cash, an actor on a wildly popular tv show who has had enough fame and wants out. Unfortunately, he’s on contract and no amount of bad behavior and scandal can get him out. Cash decides to go on a road trip with four of his biggest fans, who, like him, are all hiding secrets.

****SPOILERS****

STRANGER THAN FANFICTION was an excruciatingly boring read, I skipped chapters trying to figure out if my theory was correct. Cash acte
Vicky Again
I didn't really enjoy this. It didn't feel as cohesive as I wanted to, and for me this wasn't a fun sort of satire but like. Not fun satire.

I feel like the way fandom & fanfiction especially are portrayed in this novel is a bit damaging and untrue. Similarly, at times I felt like Colfer was relying on stereotypes more so than forming actual characters.

This wasn't for me, but I could see how other readers could relate. I think Colfer did the trans rep well & it was nice seeing it there, but som
Anja V
May 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After I've seen (yes not read but seen, shame on me) Struck by Lightning and loved it, I thought I should give another one of Chris Colfers stories a shot. And ah well, sadly Stranger than Fanfiction didn't work out for me at all. The beginning seemed promising, but around half of it I just started to sigh in annoyance at every single page.

The problem with this story was that it has no plot and drives only on it's characters. Now, that alone isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it can work out exc
Leah (Jane Speare)
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Four friends embark on a cross-country road trip in their summer before college. When television star Cash Carter unexpectedly joins them, this trip changes all five of their lives in ways they never anticipated. Stranger Than Fanfiction is a whole lot of fun, there’s geeking out for the fictional show Wiz Kids (think: Doctor Who), an abundance of lame roadside attractions across the country, and a dozen new life experiences for these small-town teenagers getting ready to enter the next stage of ...more

• What If It's Us (What If It's Us, #1)
  • Chris Colfer (Kid Stars!)
  • The Bad Decisions Playlist
  • Dear Evan Hansen
  • Město duší
  • The Total Tragedy of a Girl Named Hamlet
  • Leah on the Offbeat (Creekwood #2)
  • The Cemetery Boys
  • Geekerella (Once Upon a Con, #1)
  • Brunette Ambition
  • Ship It
  • Sorry Not Sorry: Dreams, Mistakes, and Growing Up
  • The Princess and the Fangirl (Once Upon a Con, #2)
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • Instafamous
  • Be More Chill
  • The Upside of Unrequited (Simonverse #2)
  • They Both Die at the End
Chris Colfer is an Emmy-nominated and Golden Globe-winning actor best-known for his portrayal of Kurt Hummel on the FOX television series "Glee".

He is also a New York Times bestselling author whose books include the first three novels in the "Land of Stories" series ("The Wishing Spell", "The Enchantress Returns" and "A Grimm Warning") as well as "Struck By Lightning: The Carson Philips Journal"