Start by marking “Gold from the Stone: New and Selected Poems (Canons)” as Want to Read:
Gold from the Stone: New and Selected Poems (Canons)

Gold from the Stone: New and Selected Poems (Canons)

Lemn Sissay was seventeen when he wrote his first poetry book, which he hand-sold to the miners and mill workers of Wigan. Since then his poems have become landmarks, sculpted in granite and built from concrete, recorded on era-defining albums and declaimed in over twenty countries.

He has performed to thousands of football fans at the FA Cup Final, to hundreds of thousands
Published August 25th 2016 by Canongate Books

To ask other readers questions about Gold from the Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gold from the Stone

Start your review of Gold from the Stone: New and Selected Poems (Canons)
Coral
"Let me get it right. What if we got it wrong?
What if we weakened ourselves getting strong?
What if we found in the ground a vial of proof?
What if the foundations missed a vital truth?

What if the industrial dream sold us out from within?
What if our impenetrable defence sealed us in?
What if our wanting more was making less?
And what if all of this... it wasn´t progress?"
Mary Arkless
I had never really noticed Lemn Sissay before. Perhaps that is because I'm not much into poetry, perhaps because I moved to the UK in 1999. I saw an interview with him on BBC Breakfast about his book, "My Name is Why". I read that and wanted to read more of his poetry, so borrowed this from the library.

I think there will be something here that would speak to any one. I noticed, though, while working my way through this book, that reading poetry makes me tired. Is that just me? Is it because poet
Harriet Mumford
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Mum got me this poetry collection for Christmas as I’ve been super keen to find more poetry that I enjoy. Lemn Sissay’s work is bold and personal, commenting on race, the government, social services, relationships and much, much more – it is filled with rage, humour, sadness and love.

After reading this collection I went on to watch countless YouTube videos of Lemn reading them – his performances breathed endless life into the words, so strong and powerful. My favourite from the collection was
Charmaine
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a fantastic collection of Lemn Sissy’s poetry. There are some real gems in here that I’m sure I will return to again and again. There are poems on political issues (race, immigration and equality), poems on love, on life, on writing, on childhood, on women and mothers, and there are some more humorous ones. Basically there is a poem for everyone, for whatever you need poetry for. I urge you to read this.
Natalie Wakes
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Brilliant! Best poetry collection I've read so far.

In particular:
The Actor's Voice
Patterns
Elephant in the Room
What If

I've probably missed some but I'm sure I will be rereading for the rest of my life, so will try to update.
Katrine Solvaag
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So many precious gems of poems which I can’t wait to re-read and fall in love with all over again.
It was way past time to read a volume of poetry by the man I voted for as Chancellor of my alma mater. He has an astonishing life history and I was pleased with the introduction to the book which describes this with some additional features I'd not previously known. One is thus well prepared for the anger to follow. He's a declamatory poet, a poet for carving lines in public buildings and incorporating into public art works. He describes criticism of his early works as like criticism of his fami ...more
Arlene
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this. Lemn Sissay has a great lyrical style - a lot of these poems kind of read like song lyrics. His writing is so heartfelt and passionate. A lot of his poems (especially the earlier ones) are full of anger (quite rightly) about his childhood and his experiences in the care system and of racism. He also writes about relationships (of course he does he's a poet), Manchester, climate change, and shooting magpies. A hugely enjoyable collection.
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Each day I wake up to read one of his poems, like a splash of fresh water on my face. Some of them give me goosebumps, some of them make me cry, and some of them stir the anger in me for the battles he's had to fight. Each night I fall asleep with one of his poems on my pillow, the soft patter of words sending me to a world of dreams where the letters mingle into the patterns on pages of gold.

Beautiful.
Sarah Hobbs
After reading the Gold from the Stone by Lemn Sissay I believe that I have gotten to know this poet extremely well.

This is the first body of work I have read of Mr Sissay, ad I liked it - very much.

Click here for my full review...
 FemFi
Aug 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lemn has an ethereal gift for turning immeasurable pain into awe inspiring poetry. The human condition means we will all feel hurt, love, loss, rejection and we can all relate to Lemn's ability to fine tune these emotions and pour them into beautifully crafted poems. Words are powerful, Lemn's words can connect us all.
Lori
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful collection of Lemon Sissays poetry. I even bought a second copy, so I could remove 'Love Poem' and frame it on my bedroom wall.
allbooksnoheart
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Fantastic collection, my favourites were Applecart Art and The Actor's Voice
Anthony Frobisher
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Powerful and evocative. Lemn Sissay is a voice we should all listen to. The poems in this collection are thought provoking and astonishing in their construction. A superb collection.
Sally
Sep 06, 2016 rated it liked it
My first time reading Sissay poetry and I'm not sure what I thought. I liked some of the poems but they didn't WOW me. I didn't feel a connection.
Cam
Amy
Apr 08, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Surge
  • The Secret Commonwealth (The Book of Dust, #2)
  • Flèche
  • Ryan's Christmas (DCI Ryan Mysteries #15)
  • The Thursday Murder Club (Thursday Murder Club, #1)
  • Twas the Nightshift Before Christmas
  • The I Wonder Bookstore: (Japanese Books, Book Lover Gifts, Interactive Books for Kids)
  • Women Don't Owe You Pretty
  • Exciting Times
  • The Test
  • The Book of Atlantis Black: The Search for a Sister Gone Missing
  • Uncanny Valley
  • The Pale Horse (Ariadne Oliver, #5)
  • Easy Peasy Puppy Squeezy: Your simple step-by-step guide to raising and training a happy puppy or dog
  • Celestial Bodies
  • How to Fail: Everything I’ve Ever Learned From Things Going Wrong
  • 82년생 김지영
  • Unmasked
Lemn Sissay MBE (born 21 May 1967), is a British author and broadcaster.