Start by marking “Get Smart!” as Want to Read:
Get Smart!

Get Smart!

Think and act like the highest-paid, most successful people in every field

In business and in life, you must be smart to get ahead. As things shift and change, you need to tap into your brain and learn how to think smartly in order to make sure that you maximize your opportunities.

Whether your goal is making more sales, coming up with better business plans, or simply findin
Published (first published February 9th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Get Smart!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get Smart!

Marc-Antoine
Nothing groundbreaking or even original here, I suggest you keep your hard earned money and skip this one.
Jenny Baker
Don’t let the size of this book fool you. It may be short, but it’s packed full of helpful information. It’s short because there’s no fluff, at least, not in my opinion. I took many pages of notes from this book because there were things that I didn’t want to forget.

Some of the advice in this book I’ve heard hundreds of times or more, but it’s worth hearing again. Most of us are very familiar with goal-setting methods. Brian Tracy gives you step-by-step instructions — writing down goals, priorit
Cindy Rollins
3.5

I am an unashamed fan of self-help books. Well, sorta, I sometimes feel ashamed. This book is almost a perfect self-help book which means it has no new information and is not literature but it is short and helpful.

I am not a fan of Napolean Hill-type books and this does deteriorate into that at times but even so, I felt like there were enough reminders for things I do care about to justify ignoring the 'grow rich' stuff.

Habits. You really can't read too many books about habits.
Ria F
Aug 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh... Figure out your goals, focus on how to get there, implement the habits that allow you to achieve them, Change one habit at a time, copy habits of people who have achieved the goals you want, wishing is not working, successful people work 60 hours/week 6 days a week (nope not for me) Invest early - compound interest is the greatest power. Prioritize. Ditch what isn't working. Get rid of the negative influences. Same thing we've all read before, strangely we don't all act on it.

I would how
Runwright
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Get Smart isn't just theoretical intelligence - it's about thinking better and applying those improved thoughts to have a better life in general. There is a lot of focus on harnessing that better brain power to do better in business because after all, financial success by honest means is often a good indicator of whether you're accomplishing your goals.
Comparatively small book but chock full of great tips. I made lots of notes while reading. I read the entire book in an afternoon so I'll be rev
Mallory
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from Goodreads Giveaways in exchange for an honest review.

I finished Get Smart in an afternoon, but came out with a clearer understanding of myself and the psychology of my habits and motivation. Some of the advice felt like a take on Freakonomics , especially the psychology behind wealth status and motivation.

It felt like Marie Kondo was organizing and de-cluttering my brain.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to understand the psychology behind suc
Amy
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Regurgitated self help pearls taken from other thinkers/authors with few insights of the author himself.
Penny
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
(Audible) read by the author

About 15 years ago a friend introduced me to Brian Tracy and I became a fan. Clear talking, easy to follow, insightful, Tracy's messages struck a chord and helped me turn around my job, career and personal life. I've heard Brian Tracy speak twice in person and found that his presentations are like his books--clear, easy to follow, insightful. And yes . . . lots of lists.

It's been a while since I've touched based with Brian Tracy and recently picked up Get Smart!: How
Jon Mellberg
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short but amazing. It's business/success oriented but is still perfect for general life improvements. In this book is perhaps the best argument for promoting absolute forgiveness that I've ever heard outside of a faith and/or spiritual-based persuasion (this is just one of several amazing improvement techniques though it stuck out)

I read this via audible and came into its possession as it was on sale. The only nit to pick is the reader, who sounds like a polished robot more than a human. His spe
Yevgen Antymyrov
May 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Congratulations, you've just wasted 4 hours of your time. Seriously, if this book really helped someone at some point, how had they lived before with all the complex everyday tasks like getting up in the morning, reading "whole" books, etc? Also, every second line in this book gets an accompanying citation of some famous person, because then it sounds more assuring, of course. As Abraham Lincoln once said, 'One can't just write a book without at least a hundred quotes', or something like that.

Av
Avinash Pandey
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Again, Brian Tracy makes it look easy to achieve success albeit you follow the laid principles of goal setting and time management. Being ambitious, having growth mindset, setting time bound objectives helps you to concentrate and focus your mind to achieve goals.
Strongly recommended for students and modern entrepreneurs who are struggling to make a dent in their professional and personal life
#
The  Conch
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beginning the year with self-help category. Motivating reading, though same wine in new bottle such as learning from failure, benefit of long term thinking, writing your goal with plans etc.

However, good summary provided from Thinking Fast and Slow book. Self help books are like tequila, gives you instant boost and then again back to same square.
Movsar Bekaev
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
The same stuff as in Miracle of Self-Discipline, useful as it may be, the latter is better.
Mellow
Feb 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
There was one good section on problem solving with the 7 Rs and then the rest was less useful.
Frieda
May 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
While I had hoped to discover new information that would help me as I am re-designing my life, this book offered only superficial information found in countless blog posts, articles and books. Think before you act - know yourself - decide what your future is going to be like and then take the first steps in the present to get there. I put the book down after two chapters.
Arminda Lindsay
The majority of books I read are in the self-help genre and I rarely own my own copies. Typically I listen on audio and if the book impacts me enough I purchase my own copy. This was just such a book. I'm thrilled my own copy showed up today and I cannot wait to start through it again, making my own notes as I go through it for the second time. As my coach, mentor and colleague Steve Chandler reminds us: read once for information and twice for transformation. This is a book full of accessibly tr ...more
Ray Campbell
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2018
This short book isn't a bad intro to how to be more effective in your life. My problem with this is that I've read this materiel before. If you are new at this type of book, it isn't bad. There are some good stories and examples as well as reference to research and current thinking. However, I've read all of this before. This is not a bad little book, but it gave me nothing new.
Dele Omotosho
Mehh... a lot of rehashing of old points (especially if you've read a lot of books in this genre).

Doesn't feel coherent.
Larry
May 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a terrible book. Instead of "How to Think and Act Like the Most Successful and Highest-Paid People in Every Field" it should read "How to think only about yourself, money, and the things you can buy while isolating yourself and treating other people like tools along the way." This book isn't about getting smart but rather about getting rich -- big difference. Furthermore, the writing is just awful as I don't know if there is an original idea in the book. The author takes every quote and mot ...more
Jonathan
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regulars
This is not my kind of title, so no, I didn't choose the book. It was lent me by a friend who highly recommended it. Putting away my own judgment—it seems like a get-rich-quick book—I took his recommendation and started to read. And was blown away. You know those people who are ridiculously productive and accomplish like a million things a day? This book is their secrets. It's not get-rich-quick; it's more like get-way-productive-as-long-as-you're-willing-to-work-a-little. Having 1) read the boo ...more
San Diego Book Review
Reviewed by Mary Langer Thompson for San Diego Book Review

Get Smart! How to Think and Act Like the Most Successful and Highest-Paid People in Every Field" by bestselling author, Brian Tracy, is not another simplistic positive thinking book. It's a book of thinking tools to help people move forward in life, and even take "quantum leaps." Intelligence is defined as more than IQ. It's "a way of acting."

You can read this entire review and others like it at San Diego Book Review.
Robert
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short and methodical review of the fundamentals of success, “Get Smart” is a great reminder that I’d like to revisit annually. The key themes include 1) the benefits of long term thinking, SMART goal setting, focus, plan development, taking immediate action, and doing something towards your goal every day, 2) you literally become what you think, and 3) counter negative thinking/blaming others with taking responsibility and forgiving others. Totally worth the time invested to be reminded of the ...more
Marcel
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of what you would expect. Rich people are better at delaying gratification and making decisions that benefit them in the longer term.

Other high level concepts:

- Slow vs. fast thinking
- Informed thinking vs uninformed thinking
- Goal oriented thinking vs. reaction oriented thinking
- Positive thinking vs. negative thinking
- Flexible thinking vs. rigid thinking
- Creative vs. mechanical thinking
- Entrepreneurial vs. corporate thinking
- Rich thinking vs. poor thinking
Ross Cairns
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again, I love Brian Tracy's books because he provides the reader with to-do's at the end of each chapter which really allows you to put his suggestions to the test.
I only recently finished this audiobook and have to go back and re-read some of, what I consider, the most pertinent chapters but I would recommend this book to anyone wishing to get ahead in their personal and professional lives.
Andy Dessie
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Empowering Book

This is a good book, a good refresher on setting goals, visualizing your future, and different steps you can take in your thinking to get to that future you envision. Empowering.

I watched Brian Tracy on YouTube in the past and he has a wealth of information and an impressive resume.
Leeza Robertson
This is one of those books that has all of your favourite parts of all the other books you have read. This is a really quick read and would be great for those who just want a quick motivational reminder once a month or so. I have to say it was just the reminder I needed for some of the upcoming projects on my list.
Maeby215
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read! Brian Tracy has done it again. He outlines the ways to bring success into your life simply, and succinctly. There is no excessive back-patting, which was a real treat. Most of the time success books are littered with self congratulation. This was a refreshing look at the facts. I will be re-reading immediately!
Micah Grant
Seems like it was just a bunch of his other stuff rehashed. He even quoted himself from earlier in the book a few times. It is all good advice, especially about goal setting and thinking about the future. It just want anything new.
Amy
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a long listen but a good listen. As with all books of this genre, you have to take what you like out of it and ignore the rest. This had more suggestions I liked than things I didn’t. I found myself telling the family things that we should do from what I’d listened to that day.
Anton Nikolov
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing really revolutionary but it was still enjoyable and the book contains info that is useful to hear over and over again :) it is the same advices for successful personal development just with different words.
  • Real Dissent: A Libertarian Sets Fire to the Index Card of Allowable Opinion
  • Organized Crime: The Unvarnished Truth About Government
  • Loyalty To Your Soul: The Heart of Spiritual Psychology
  • Unbinding the Heart: A Dose of Greek Wisdom, Generosity, and Unconditional Love
  • Coming Closer to Ourselves: Making Everything the Path of Awakening
  • Leap of Perception: New Attention Skills for the Intuition Age
  • Loveability: Knowing How to Love and Be Loved
  • Minecraft: The Unlikely Tale of Markus "Notch" Persson and the Game that Changed Everything
  • Fearless: Creating the Courage to Change the Things You Can
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2012
  • Wake Up Successful: How to Increase Your Energy & Achieve Any Goal With A Morning Routine
  • Deadly Outbreaks: How Medical Detectives Save Lives Threatened by Killer Pandemics, Exotic Viruses, and Drug-Resistant Parasites
  • Advanced Energy Anatomy: The Science of Co-Creation and Your Power of Choice
  • Mark Twain's Helpful Hints for Good Living: A Handbook for the Damned Human Race
  • Supercoach: 10 Secrets to Transform Anyone's Life
  • The Introvert's Edge: How the Quiet and Shy Can Outsell Anyone
  • Expect to Win: Proven Strategies for Success from a Wall Street Vet
  • Fall in Love, Stay in Love
Brian Tracy is Chairman and CEO of Brian Tracy International, a company specializing in the training and development of individuals and organizations.

He has consulted for more than 1,000 companies and addressed more than 5,000,000 people in 5,000 talks and seminars throughout the US, Canada and 55 other countries worldwide. As a Keynote speaker and seminar leader, he addresses more than 250,000 pe
“As Michael Kami, the strategy expert, wrote, “Those who do not plan for the future cannot have one.” Personal” 1 likes
“Michael Kami, the strategy expert wrote, "Those who do not plan for the future cannot have one.” 0 likes