Start by marking “Get Smart!” as Want to Read:
Get Smart!

Get Smart!

Think and act like the highest-paid, most successful people in every field

In business and in life, you must be smart to get ahead. As things shift and change, you need to tap into your brain and learn how to think smartly in order to make sure that you maximize your opportunities.

Whether your goal is making more sales, coming up with better business plans, or simply findin
Published (first published February 9th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Get Smart!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get Smart!

Start your review of Get Smart!
Marc-Antoine
Nothing groundbreaking or even original here, I suggest you keep your hard earned money and skip this one.
Jenny Baker
Don’t let the size of this book fool you. It may be short, but it’s packed full of helpful information. It’s short because there’s no fluff, at least, not in my opinion. I took many pages of notes from this book because there were things that I didn’t want to forget.

Some of the advice in this book I’ve heard hundreds of times or more, but it’s worth hearing again. Most of us are very familiar with goal-setting methods. Brian Tracy gives you step-by-step instructions — writing down goals, priorit
Ria F
Aug 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh... Figure out your goals, focus on how to get there, implement the habits that allow you to achieve them, Change one habit at a time, copy habits of people who have achieved the goals you want, wishing is not working, successful people work 60 hours/week 6 days a week (nope not for me) Invest early - compound interest is the greatest power. Prioritize. Ditch what isn't working. Get rid of the negative influences. Same thing we've all read before, strangely we don't all act on it.

I would how
Cindy Rollins
3.5

I am an unashamed fan of self-help books. Well, sorta, I sometimes feel ashamed. This book is almost a perfect self-help book which means it has no new information and is not literature but it is short and helpful.

I am not a fan of Napolean Hill-type books and this does deteriorate into that at times but even so, I felt like there were enough reminders for things I do care about to justify ignoring the 'grow rich' stuff.

Habits. You really can't read too many books about habits.
Frieda
May 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
While I had hoped to discover new information that would help me as I am re-designing my life, this book offered only superficial information found in countless blog posts, articles and books. Think before you act - know yourself - decide what your future is going to be like and then take the first steps in the present to get there. I put the book down after two chapters.
Vanessa Princessa
I read this book thanks to Blinkist.

The key message in this book:

There are good and bad ways to use your brain. You can have a distracted and unfocused mind that only wants to learn about things that reinforce your negative preconceptions, or you can have a sharp and creative mind. The latter sees the positive things in life and finds success by being inquisitive, adaptable and innovative.
Actionable advice:

See the chance in every challenge.

Take a moment to think about your biggest problem. Now,
Mallory
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from Goodreads Giveaways in exchange for an honest review.

I finished Get Smart in an afternoon, but came out with a clearer understanding of myself and the psychology of my habits and motivation. Some of the advice felt like a take on Freakonomics , especially the psychology behind wealth status and motivation.

It felt like Marie Kondo was organizing and de-cluttering my brain.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to understand the psychology behind suc
Runwright
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Get Smart isn't just theoretical intelligence - it's about thinking better and applying those improved thoughts to have a better life in general. There is a lot of focus on harnessing that better brain power to do better in business because after all, financial success by honest means is often a good indicator of whether you're accomplishing your goals.
Comparatively small book but chock full of great tips. I made lots of notes while reading. I read the entire book in an afternoon so I'll be rev
Yevgen Antymyrov
May 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Congratulations, you've just wasted 4 hours of your time. Seriously, if this book really helped someone at some point, how had they lived before with all the complex everyday tasks like getting up in the morning, reading "whole" books, etc? Also, every second line in this book gets an accompanying citation of some famous person, because then it sounds more assuring, of course. As Abraham Lincoln once said, 'One can't just write a book without at least a hundred quotes', or something like that.

Av
Amy
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Regurgitated self help pearls taken from other thinkers/authors with few insights of the author himself.
Penny
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
(Audible) read by the author

About 15 years ago a friend introduced me to Brian Tracy and I became a fan. Clear talking, easy to follow, insightful, Tracy's messages struck a chord and helped me turn around my job, career and personal life. I've heard Brian Tracy speak twice in person and found that his presentations are like his books--clear, easy to follow, insightful. And yes . . . lots of lists.

It's been a while since I've touched based with Brian Tracy and recently picked up Get Smart!: How
Jon Mellberg
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short but amazing. It's business/success oriented but is still perfect for general life improvements. In this book is perhaps the best argument for promoting absolute forgiveness that I've ever heard outside of a faith and/or spiritual-based persuasion (this is just one of several amazing improvement techniques though it stuck out)

I read this via audible and came into its possession as it was on sale. The only nit to pick is the reader, who sounds like a polished robot more than a human. His spe
Avinash Pandey
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Again, Brian Tracy makes it look easy to achieve success albeit you follow the laid principles of goal setting and time management. Being ambitious, having growth mindset, setting time bound objectives helps you to concentrate and focus your mind to achieve goals.
Strongly recommended for students and modern entrepreneurs who are struggling to make a dent in their professional and personal life
#
The  Conch
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
Beginning the year with self-help category. Motivating reading, though same wine in new bottle such as learning from failure, benefit of long term thinking, writing your goal with plans etc.

However, good summary provided from Thinking Fast and Slow book. Self help books are like tequila, gives you instant boost and then again back to same square.
Jyoti Purohit
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though there was nothing groundbreaking, but I enjoyed author’s style of articulation. It felt that the author was helping me visualize various sorts of thinkings and what do they lead to. I enjoyed the book and would come back to it several times in future to check my motivation:)
Mello
Feb 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was one good section on problem solving with the 7 Rs and then the rest was less useful.
Pegah Mdp
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Definitely one of the best books I’ve ever read.Instead of repeating the same idea over and over again this book gives practical advice on living a better life in every possible aspect.It’s a book I’d recommend to anyone who wants to live a more meaningful life.
Raz Pirata
“You have the mental ability right now to set any goal and achieve everything you could ever want or hope for in this life”

Don’t think about what you might do, just do what Brian Tracy says.

Get Smart - How to Think and Act Like the Most Successful and Highest Paid People in Every Field is a useful yet confounding book. It explores an array of thinking models, habits and actions taken by the ‘most successful’ people but nowhere does it support its claim of teaching you how to think. What it does
Larry
May 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a terrible book. Instead of "How to Think and Act Like the Most Successful and Highest-Paid People in Every Field" it should read "How to think only about yourself, money, and the things you can buy while isolating yourself and treating other people like tools along the way." This book isn't about getting smart but rather about getting rich -- big difference. Furthermore, the writing is just awful as I don't know if there is an original idea in the book. The author takes every quote and mot ...more
Arminda Lindsay
The majority of books I read are in the self-help genre and I rarely own my own copies. Typically I listen on audio and if the book impacts me enough I purchase my own copy. This was just such a book. I'm thrilled my own copy showed up today and I cannot wait to start through it again, making my own notes as I go through it for the second time. As my coach, mentor and colleague Steve Chandler reminds us: read once for information and twice for transformation. This is a book full of accessibly tr ...more
Ray Campbell
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2018
This short book isn't a bad intro to how to be more effective in your life. My problem with this is that I've read this materiel before. If you are new at this type of book, it isn't bad. There are some good stories and examples as well as reference to research and current thinking. However, I've read all of this before. This is not a bad little book, but it gave me nothing new.
Mahmoud Ghoz
You will either like the book big time or see it worthless. If you know about habits and goals setting and tracking don't read the book, it will not add much to you. If you don't know then I highly recommend read the book.
Dele Omotosho
Mehh... a lot of rehashing of old points (especially if you've read a lot of books in this genre).

Doesn't feel coherent.
Karen
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listened to the audiobook on my daily commute, suitable for 1.5x speed. The male American narrator is clear and good, but has a bit of a funny cadence, making excessive use of micro-pauses between several words in a sentence.

Lots and lots of handy advice throughout the book. Would highly recommend this miniature goldmine.

Favourite Quotes:

"How are you using this powerful mental supercomputer?"

"Intelligence is a measure of action."

Time perspective: long term thinking helps and changes how you act
Tiffany Kirkham
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was told, “everyone should ready this book!” I liked it. It had a lot of things to think about. It gives great insight on how to be a more productive and happy person with clear direction of goal setting. I will totally read it again because there is a wealth of wisdom in being aware of the time we waste not doing things of importance. It was a good reminder.

My only criticism is that it spent A LOT of time in “becoming rich” which is not a big goal of mine. I actually feel like I we should st
Neha Gupta
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With no prior recommendations, got my hands on this by luck.

A book that will put you in action right away, speed up your journey towards your dreams and make you think like highly successful people.

This is a must-have book in your library to reread for frequent reminders.

Stating below some of the key highlights :
* How to be a go-to-guy/girl?
* The only key to transform your wishes to goals is by putting them on paper with timelines. They will then longer be just ‘wishes’.
* Following zero-based th
Barrie
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Brian Tracy's work and this is another classic. Certainly recommended reading for anyone who doesn't know what to do with their work life. More importantly, Get Smart teaches you about what to focus on in life, why and how not to waste time, particularly for pointless things you do that don't bring any benefit (ie checking your email 45 times a day).

Stop wasting your time by spending your whole evenings watching TV - instead, learn, read, develop your skills, and ultimately, use that to b
Kar Liang
This book has a lot of good suggestions and steps to help the reader to start forming good habits to be successful in life. And as what he summed up, 'Success is not an accident, Failure is not an accident either. You are where you are and what you are because of yourself, because of your own thinking and behaviour.' The onus to the reader is to recognise that we are ultimately in charge of our lives and this book reminds us this as a fact.

Though the book leans towards success equating having lo
Chad Schultz
This sounds a lot like self-help books from the 60s, so I was quite surprised to hear modern references and discover that this is a fairly recent work. The author definitely needs to do more research and update his facts. For example, he repeats the long-discredited claim that we only use 10% of our brains, and just need to unlock the potential of the rest. He also seems to favor the invalidated "law of attraction".

As for the rest, there are some good principles in here about being capable and e
San Diego Book Review
Reviewed by Mary Langer Thompson for San Diego Book Review

Get Smart! How to Think and Act Like the Most Successful and Highest-Paid People in Every Field" by bestselling author, Brian Tracy, is not another simplistic positive thinking book. It's a book of thinking tools to help people move forward in life, and even take "quantum leaps." Intelligence is defined as more than IQ. It's "a way of acting."

You can read this entire review and others like it at San Diego Book Review.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• How to Talk to Anybody, Anytime, Anywhere: 3 Steps to Make Instant Connections
  • Do It Today: Overcome Procrastination, Improve Productivity, and Achieve More Meaningful Things
  • The Happy Mind: A Simple Guide to Living a Happier Life Starting Today
  • The Achievement Habit: Stop Wishing, Start Doing, and Take Command of Your Life
  • The 10x Rule: The Only Difference Between Success and Failure
  • The Law of Attraction, Plain and Simple: Create the Extraordinary Life That You Deserve
  • Verbal Judo: The Gentle Art of Persuasion
  • THINK STRAIGHT: Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life
  • Massive Life Success: Live a Stress-Free Life and Achieve Your Goals by Dealing with Anxiety, Stress and Fear
  • Without Saying a Word: Master the Science of Body Language and Maximize Your Success
  • Stocks and Life: Snippets from the life of Abhishek Kar
  • Personal Energy Management: Discover Powerful Ways to Effectively Manage Stress, Improve your Health, Boost your Energy Levels and Live a Fulfilled Life
  • 7 Strategies for Wealth & Happiness: Power Ideas from America's Foremost Business Philosopher
  • Money Management Skills
  • Win Your Inner Battles: Defeat The Enemy Within and Live With Purpose
  • The Charge: Activating the 10 Human Drives That Make You Feel Alive
  • Success Habits: Proven Principles for Greater Wealth, Health, and Happiness
  • Inside the Box: A Proven System of Creativity for Breakthrough Results
Brian Tracy is Chairman and CEO of Brian Tracy International, a company specializing in the training and development of individuals and organizations.

He has consulted for more than 1,000 companies and addressed more than 5,000,000 people in 5,000 talks and seminars throughout the US, Canada and 55 other countries worldwide. As a Keynote speaker and seminar leader, he addresses more than 250,000 pe

News & Interviews

“Michael Kami, the strategy expert wrote, "Those who do not plan for the future cannot have one.” 1 likes
“As Michael Kami, the strategy expert, wrote, “Those who do not plan for the future cannot have one.” Personal” 1 likes