Start by marking “My Visit to the Zoo” as Want to Read:
My Visit to the Zoo

My Visit to the Zoo

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  41 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
In a tour of a modern-day zoo, youngsters see how animals really live. Written and illustrated by the inimitable Aliki, this successor to the highly popular "My Visit to the Dinosaurs" and "My Visit to the Aquarium" is a good way to introduce children to the zoo. Full color.
Published May 5th 1999 by HarperCollins (first published August 16th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about My Visit to the Zoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Visit to the Zoo

Kathryn
May 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-my-boys
This book is an overview of what children can expect to see at most modern zoos. I grew up in San Diego and always assumed that all zoos were like the San Diego Zoo and the Wild Animal Park. Then I moved to Colorado and visited the Colordao Springs Zoo, a modest place that made me very sad, just as one of the children in this book felt. So the pictures in this book focus on natural habitats and open enclosures. The pictures are colorful, there are some interesting facts, and my 4-year-old loved ...more
Amber McMinn
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It sounded like a child was the author of the book with a friend that they referred to also. They visited a lot of animals, including many kinds if monkeys, cheetahs, lions, zebras, antelope, gazelles, giraffes, elephants, meerkats, hippopotamus, kangaroo, bears, birds, snakes, alligators, tortoise, and a giant lizard. They also went to a children's petting zoo. They said that the animals are on a special diet and only their keeper can feed them. This book can be read to preschool, kindergarten, ...more
Meghan
Apr 15, 2014 added it
Shelves: nonfiction
My Visit to the Zoo is a great book for children to see what to expect in a zoo. It also has details about many different animals, and labels and facts in the pictures to add to the book. It also discusses how some of the animals are cared for in the zoo like what type of environments they live in and what food they eat. It could be a good book to use when discussing animals or when getting ready to visit the zoo.
Kim
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jt-s-books
I think JT enjoyed this book the most in our search for books about zoos. He liked identifying the animals and learning ways of distinguishing between various ones. He also appreciated the conservation and ethical treatment of animals themes underlying in the story.
Ruth Ann
Sep 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Show the animals in natural habitats at the zoo and tells if they are endangered or vulnerable. At the back of the book is a globe, color-coded with stars and a list of animals so you can see where each lives.
Eireanne
On the suggested summer reading list for students.
Deanna
Jan 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: science
Another good one by Aliki. This book includes lots of animals and basic information about them.
Lindsey
Krista
May 01, 2009
Karin
Dec 07, 2012
Aliki has written and illustrated many books, both fiction and nonfiction, loved by readers throughout the world. The books were inspired by a word, an experience, or the desire to find out. Aliki lives in London, England.
More about Aliki