Jump to ratings and reviews

Saven #1

Saven Deception

A girl with a hidden past. An alien prince. Their unlikely attraction could save two worlds… or doom them all…

Sadie Owens desperately needed a do-over. When she’s chosen for a six-month residency in a government-run undersea city, she willingly drops everything to participate. After all, the experiment could be a huge step forward for her overcrowded planet and her life.

The instant Sadie crosses paths with a hot guy with ocean-blue eyes she’s drawn to him in a way she can’t explain. But Logan gives Sadie mixed signals, and she can’t figure him out.

Logan Chandler has kept a lot of secrets for his species. If humans knew the real reason the Saven were on Earth, then their coexistence would be anything but peaceful. Logan has vowed to stay away from human girls, but he can’t help falling for the different and beautiful Sadie. Unfortunately, protecting the girl of his destiny could destroy his own kind…

As the mystery of the Saven starts to unravel, is it too late for Sadie to save her heart and the human race?

436 pages, Paperback

First published December 23, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Siobhan Davis

99 books7,766 followers
Subscribe to my romance newsletter to read a free ebook plus exclusive bonus scenes. http://eepurl.com/dl4l5v

Siobhan Davis is a USA Today, Wall Street Journal, and Amazon Top 5 bestselling romance author. Siobhan writes emotionally intense stories with swoon-worthy romance, complex characters, and tons of unexpected plot twists and turns that will have you flipping the pages beyond bedtime! She has sold over 1.8 million books, and her titles are translated into several languages.

Prior to becoming a full-time writer, Siobhan forged a successful corporate career in human resource management.

She lives in the Garden County of Ireland with her husband and two sons.

Connect with Siobhan:

Website: www.siobhandavis.com
Twitter: @siobhandavis
Facebook: AuthorSiobhanDavis
Instagram: siobhandavisauthor
Email: siobhan@siobhandavis.com
TikTok: @siobhandavisauthor
Readers Group: https://bit.ly/35yTX14

I don't read messages on Goodreads or check my inbox. If you need to contact me, email is the best.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
67 (4%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 274 reviews
February 20, 2017
Currently Free (02/20/2017) http://amzn.to/2lzymMS

Siobhán Davis brilliantly combines sci-fi and romance in this exciting tale about epic love, loss, survival, and friendship where a human girl who falls in love with mysterious alien boy.
“Do you believe in soul mates? A connection so sacred and profound that one soul instantly recognizes it’s other half?”

Sadie Owens’ hope for a happy future is all but lost. She lives in a dreary world where segregation and oppression of the poor are the norm. People in the lower social class are not allowed to love or have children and fourteen year olds in this class must join the work force.

But all hope is not lost. Her dodgy government has started a social experiment where a select few get to spend six months in an underwater city where the participants are free to choose who they interact with and what they do.
“You can’t stop fighting for control of your life. You might not achieve in the ways you wish, but there is always hope for the future.”

Tired of keeping to herself almost her entire life, she decides to start over upon being selected. Once she starts the program she immediately makes friends with Neve, Jenna, Jarod and Hayden. And even though there’s a huge gap in their social status, she’s spellbound by Logan Chandler who equally dismisses any social standing that would separate them.

However Logan’s hot and cold manner, his lack of openness coupled with Jenna’s exaggerated physical and emotional changes has Sadie confused and suspicious. Seizing Jarod’s eagerness to gather information, they uncover the government’s true intentions. Will the knowledge that aliens live among them and that their presence is a threat to humanity annul the deep connection and bond she’s formed with Logan?
“I’ve never let any guy in. You’re the first one I even dared to like. But you play with my feelings like they aren’t real.”

Siobhán Davis provides a stimulating and intriguing story that was impossible to put down by combining government conspiracies, alien invasion, high tech espionage, and wonderful teen drama. The world building and characters leap out of the page and come alive with flawless writing and a plot that had me engrossed and on the edge of my seat needing to know what came next.
“Things are changing. I can feel it in my bones. And if it ends badly for me, at least I’ve experienced what it feels like to be a part of change on such a massive scale, to witness the world transform in front of my eyes.”

While the underwater setting was original and the workings of the undesirable society interesting, it was the rich character development that first captured my attention. I really liked Sadie, she’s strong and brave and proved to be a real tough cookie. I loved how she was honest with herself and others and even though she’s young and has limited experience with love in general, her moral compass is firm and is wise enough to know to respect herself and stay true to what she wants.
“I choose to be me. So, though I worry that it’s a bit geeky, and maybe I come across as trying too hard, I have to stay true to myself.”

Sadie was not the only one who got a bit frustrated with Logan’s vagueness and back and forth attitude. There were a couple of times I wanted to smack him too. But once the truth comes out and I understood the reasons behind his actions I swooned along with Sadie. He didn’t hesitate to express his feelings and is quite literally prince charming.
“I’ve never felt like this about anyone before. My soul belongs with yours, I’m certain of it.”

I enjoyed Sadie’s and Logan’s flirting and banter as well as her interaction with the rest of the characters while she tries to enjoy her new life and piece together the oddities she keeps encountering. Even though there were hints of what was going on from the very beginning, a lot of the action takes place in the last third of the book when the truth is revealed and the suspense intensifies. The book ends with Sadie and Logan in a good place in their relationship but their worlds crumbling around them.

I can’t wait to read the next installment where Sadie and Logan explore their intense bond amidst more suspense, intrigue and alien encounters.

Saven: Deception is the first book in the Saven series by Siobhán Davis. It is a Young Adult, fantasy/sci-fi, dystopian romance. Told from the heroine’s point of view that ends with a semi-cliffhanger.

Amazon -> http://amzn.to/1LXhsJy

* I was given an ARC of this book courtesy of the author. The excerpts are from that copy. *

More reviews * Stalk us on FaceBook * As well as Twitter * Pinterest Board for Book Teasers
Profile Image for Amanda.
193 reviews45 followers
October 11, 2016
I would like to thank Siobhan Davis for my copy of the ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

If I could give this book all the stars out the sky right now I would! With a plot and characters that I fell in love with from the start, I can't stop singing praises for this series as the first book has been amazing.

Sadie Owens can't help it, late for curfew again cursing herself she knows her family is going to flip especially now they are another 100 Nuvis down. With a mother & brothers who despise her, Sadie hates her same daily routine. Stuck in the job she hates stuck in the same horrible commute, the same loathsome family she needs a release. Smart, witty and keen to learn the only way she see's out is to apply for The Experimento, an experiment for humans to try and inhabit a man made city under the sea. When she is selected to take part she can't believe it, a bronze star (lower caste) selected to go into this, being able to start a whole new life she's exhilarated, but what is the true meaning behind all this? Is it what they have been lead to believe that the experiments to make sure they can live in the man-made city to help the lower castes into a better life? To help with the illness, diseases, and overcrowding or is there another alternative motive? Sadie can't help but wonder knowing her life is going to change forever.

I don't know where to start because I absolutely devoured this book I loved it so much! After being in a reading slump and gritting my teeth trying to read new books trying to pull myself out of it Saven Deception practically wrapped it's arms around me and lifted me clean out of my slump and I welcomed it with open arms! Now I'm hooked, I'm literally in a book boyfriend brain high and need to know what's going to happen, I don't even want to give much away as the book deserves to be read not for me to retell it.

I love the whole man made city under water, Siobhan has built the whole plot so well without overdoing it. I could picture everything & everyone easily in my head which I love in a book, I hate when people try over complicate things there's no need for it and sometimes it can get very boring when an author does this. I also love how the castes have a tattoo on their wrist, lower castes have a bronze star, middle-class silver coin, upper class a gold bullion. So when a bullion shows interest in our little star it's adorable.

Anyone who knows me on here knows I'm not a big fan of leading ladies, I make it clear in a lot of my reviews because usually, I can't stand them but I put up with it because I like the other characters but Sadie is different. She reminds me on Kat from the Lux series only a little timider and you actually get to see her grow as a person throughout the book which I loved! She is never overly confident, knows her strengths and weaknesses, is very mindful of others and a true friend without being patronizing, she had me rooting for her from the start.

I loved our other characters they all had a unique place in the story and I loved every one of them! Jenna is adorable and Sadie is so protective of her, my heart screams at their story. I found Neve very intriguing, the way she acted and her mannerisms had me giggling since her first appearance in the book and it made me really like her as she made such a strong impression. Hayden is a complete sweetheart he is adorable! He and Neve would make the perfect couple!! I love how protective Hayden is from the start he has a heart of a lion. Also, I never expected Jarod's story!! it made me giggle that I never caught on to this, very sneaky indeed. Last but not least on my list is Dante, Ok, so we all have Dante's in our life, especially at school or college, our even in your friendship circle you always have a Dante type yet I'm still interested in his story even though he's a complete ass!! He infuriates me yet still I wonder about him.

My favourite character out the whole book is Logan *GASPS* shock horror ;) haha! What can I say I'm a sucker for hot outer worldly types that I marry in my head from the fiction world. He reminds me of Christian Williams (He's a British male model check out his Instagram Christina_arno one will not be disappointed!). I love the way Logan comes across, yes he can be very frustrating at times but he always has a reason behind it and it makes you melt at his overly charming self. The way he is with Sadie is unbelievable and you want them to get together from the beginning of the book, I ship them off into the sunset! I always thought that I wouldn't love a better story than Katy Swartz & Daemon Black but I think I might have found one that's just edged in front of the race.

I recommend this book to anyone who is a lover of Jennifer L. Armentrout and Kelley Armstrong as the book is a steady pace but with a lot going on without it being overly complicated. You need to pick it up because it is totally worth it and I would love to hear your thoughts on it!

Please check out my blog www.amandaminnockx.tumblr.com thanks.

"When we kissed that first time, I knew then without any doubt that you were mine as I am yours."
Profile Image for Dianne.
6,765 reviews577 followers
December 12, 2015
When will life possibly get better for Sadie? When will she have someone in her corner, someone to rely on? Sadie has only known hatred and betrayal, but when she is selected to be part of a social experiment, she has the opportunity of a lifetime, to spend six months under the sea, in a newly created city that promises wonders and life beyond compare. But is it just another thing that is too good to be true in her life?

Enter Logan, with his glorious looks, and commanding presence, is he all he seems to be, or is he toying with the affections of Sadie, luring her in like a spider luring a fly?

Something is fishy below the sea and Sadie, along with her new ally, Jarod go on the hunt to discover what is behind Thalassic City and the government’s true intentions behind this social experiment. Hang on tight, this ride is a face-paced and twisted journey that answers the question: “Are we the only lifeforms in the universe?” Will Sadie and Jarod uncover the truth behind Thalassic City? Will they live to warn the world that there may be no future to look forward to? is Jarod all he seems to be? Who can Sadie trust?

Have you ever found a person that seems to take over the controls of your brain? You do things you wouldn’t normally do, all the while thinking this is not me? If you find a person like this, run, as fast as you can! Saven: Deception by the brilliant Siobhan Davis proves beyond a doubt that Ms. Davis has a lot of creative tricks up her sleeve! Meet her characters, get to know them and start to care about them. Enter into her world, take a trip to the bottom of the sea, and feel what it’s like to shoot through the watery depths, knowing that one false move will make you food for the fishes. Gawk in awe of the beauty of a world that carefully mimics above the waves. Marvel at this fresh world that holds adventure, education and a hidden danger, from which there may be no escape. From start to finish, you’ll know you’ve found another hidden gem from the treasure trove in Siobhan Davis’ mind! About that finish, Ms. Davis has handled that with her signature style.

I received an ARC edition from Siobhan Davis in exchange for my honest review.

Series: Saven - Book 1
Publication Date: December 15, 2015
Publisher: Siobhan Davis
ISBN13 9780992930486
Genre: SciFi | Aliens | Romance
Print Length: 331 pages
Available from: Amazon
For Reviews & More: http://tometender.blogspot.com

Profile Image for Lauren.
508 reviews76 followers
October 28, 2016
'I VOLUNTARILY REVIEWED A COPY FROM THE RACHEL E. CARTER YA BOOK CLUB ON GOODREADS.'

Well, I can tell you one thing, I will most definitely be continuing this series and I cannot wait to get my hands on the next book.

Siobhan Davis has created such an interesting world in this series that I absolutely cannot wait to get back to. I loved the main character, Sadie, and she reminded me a lot of Clary from the Mortal Instrument series- she's got a temper, she's tiny, she's stubborn, and extremely resilient, and she definitely holds her own.

I love the world building in this book so much. The society is creative, as is the whole program that arises. The whole concept of having to start building underwater because of an overpopulation issue makes me so happy and Davis definitely made a thorough attempt to go through the possible health issues that could arise with that.

Overall, this book was very well-written and I enjoyed the story line and the romance a lot. I loved the characters and I will most definitely be continuing on with this series.
Profile Image for Michelle Madow.
Author 58 books2,963 followers
January 8, 2018
The love story between Sadie and Logan is one of my favorites I’ve ever read!! Right up there with Twilight, Mortal Instruments, Iron Fey, and Black Mage. And the plot is amazing!! Now, onto book two. I’m so glad all the books are already out so I can binge read this series!
Profile Image for Joyce.
227 reviews39 followers
April 30, 2016

Update: Saven Deception is free right now on Amazon.com. Give it a try. Book 2, Saven disclosure, is also on Amazon for $3.99. I just finished it. It was quite an adventure! There are expected to be two more books, Saven Defiance and Saven Declaration. I can't wait!

Saven Deception by Siobhan Davis was not what I expected. From the cover, I thought this book would concentrate on romance, but this book is about so much more. It is about an oppressive government. It is about friendships, believing in oneself, and finding your own way in life...

description

Sadie Owens is late for curfew again, and a screen in the house shows that 100 Nuvis have been deducted from her family’s bank account. Thank you, police state. Her mother and brother are raising hell. Everyone else seems to accept their lot in life and resents her from wanting more – except her sister.

Sadie hates her life. She wants a different one.

Even though Sadie comes from a poor class in society, she believes in herself, and is smart, brave, and very determined. I couldn't help but like her. “I was born and raised a star,” (bronze lower class) “but in my mind that’s only the categorization that society has inflicted on me. It doesn’t define who I am or what I am capable of achieving.” In Sadie's world, citizens are given tattoos to designate their place in society, but Sadie can't accept that.

description

People have been chosen to partake in an experimental city under the sea. This seems to be the only way for Sadie to escape the life she has and start a new one. When she gets selected to participate in the program, she accepts. In a speech in the under-sea amphitheater, the vice president explains … “Overcrowding, spiraling rates of illness and disease, declining energy and fuel resources, dwindling food supplies, and increased political unrest with some of our neighbors” are some of the reasons for the new city. So, the under-sea city experiment is supposed to be a solution to some of society’s problems.

The representation of people in this experiment is not indicative of the whole population like the vice-president said: of gold bullion, silver coin, and bronze star tattoos. From where Sadie is looking, she sees a sea of bronze stars. Sadie becomes less and less thrilled about getting away from home and participating in this experiment and begins to question the government’s motives. Why is the government singling out the bronze stars for this experiment? Is it less safe than originally thought?

Then Sadie meets Logan, and the rest of the world sort of melts away. He is gorgeous and confident and notices her. Is it her imagination, or is something off with him too?

description

Einstein once said "Logic will get you from A to B, Imagination will take you everywhere." I thought of that quote while reading this book because not because Davis is another Einstein, but because she has a wonderful imagination and has done a great job putting her ideas into words to share with others. It was an interesting book. I liked the characters, and enjoyed the read.

A first version of this review was description on Net Galley.
Profile Image for Siobhan Davis.
Author 99 books7,766 followers
June 6, 2017
Ebook FREE to download from Amazon, June 6th-8th inclusive. Now a fully completed series. All series titles available in Kindle Unlimited.

Amazon.com: amzn.to/1Ker3Ck
Amazon Netherlands: bit.ly/1jnP4ut
September 27, 2017
The complete series is only 99cents! (09/26/2017) http://amzn.to/2wVqMOB

Amazon -> http://amzn.to/1LXhsJy

Profile Image for Tink Magoo is bad at reviews.
1,240 reviews184 followers
January 12, 2016
ET has landed on Earth and I'm giving him 4 stars.

Above everything else in this book I enjoyed the world that Siobhan Davis created. It's not a new concept to increase the divide which already exists in our society and apply it in a dystopian novel, but here it was done well. It's a simple really - you have an inner circle were the high class live, with no or very little rules they have to follow. The further out your circle district is, the harder life is and the more rules you have to comply with.

I really felt for Sadie and the life she was born into. If you had to live in a society were your sole purpose was as a tool to supply for the upper classes, would you really want to bring children into that world?! Her escape from an unloving and cruel family life comes when she gets to take part in the government's new social experiment.

I don't want to say a great deal about what that entails, but you can already guess it's not what she thought she was getting herself into. While I loved the world that was built around her, I did find Sadie hard work at times. When it came to Logan she could be so immature. Yes, I know she is young, naive and innocent, but still it got on my nerves at times.

This was a great start to the series and I can't wait to see where it goes. Will they complete their bond, who exactly caused what happened right near the end... so many questions!
Profile Image for Siobhan.
4,403 reviews462 followers
February 10, 2017
Recently I have been making, what some will refer to as, very silly choices when it comes to reading books. I do not mean I’m reading extremely bad books, far from it, merely that I am going about my choices in a very weird way. What I mean by this is I’m joining author’s advance read teams prior to reading any of their work. It’s silly, I know. There is the strong possibility I will not like what I am sent. Fortunately, this has yet to happen. As it stands, I have enjoyed all the advance read books I have been sent.

The first book in the Saven series falls into this category.

Siobhan Davis came to my attention through her True Calling book. My to-read list is extremely long. I have it split on Goodreads between what I own and what I still need to buy. The owned book section, at present, has over four hundred books on it. Needless to say, upon downloading True Calling the book ended up very low down on my priority list. Despite this, I joined the author’s mailing list and when she asked for people to advance read her Saven series I jumped right in. I am not one to deny a series that sounds so very interesting.

Uh-oh, though, the first book had already been released – and I did not own it. Fear not, for Siobhan Davis was kind enough to send me the first book so that I am up to date prior to the release of book two. Being linked in to the advance reading of a series, this first book was bumped up my to-read list. In fact, I started on it almost straight away.

My actual reading of the story, however, is a slight up and down.

The prologue pulled me right in. We start with an alien abduction. How many books can claim such a thing? I had high hopes that things would continue in such a way, that we would have aliens running around left right and centre. Unfortunately, such is not the case – and this is what left me slightly unsure of the book for quite some time.

You see, I’m a massive fan of the young adult genre. I will pick up any young adult book that interests me. However, I do have a slight issue with the never-ending romance stories. They are all the same, in my personal opinion, and such a thing bores me. Thus, when this book turned the focus upon the romance my interest faded somewhat. It was not bad. It simply wasn’t my cup of tea, considering how amount of time it took the focus away from the sci-fi. Admittedly, it is vital in the story in many ways – as you would expect of a book in this genre – but I was let down by how the aliens took the backseat.

After all, aliens are not mentioned again until the sixty-nine percent mark. Trust me, I checked.

There are many nice suggestions of what is going on, of who is and who is not an alien. But we do not get any more real alien interaction – by this I mean we are well and truly aware of the aliens, the cat is out of the bag on the matter – until we’re over halfway through the book. I really had wanted the alien notion to reappear much soon. I loved all of the build-up, but I wanted to be finding out more about them at a much earlier point. Oh, we’re given suggestions of what they can do. We believe certain things are happening, but we cannot understand them until a much later date. Some will love all this build-up, yet for me an alien read should have more information about the aliens at an earlier date. This, however, is just my personal opinion.

I feel as though I’m being overly negative now, but I did love the book. This happens quite often when I find a book that is a round up mark. It was too high to be a three point five rating (which I could have rounded down to three), hence the four star rating and this almost overly negative review. It happens sometimes with my reviews, and for that I apologise. I have just one final negative statement to make and then I will focus upon the good stuff.

This book falls into the typical for young adult novels in another way. What do I mean this time? Well, every single person is drop dead gorgeous. We expect it of the aliens in their human form – that is, after all, always the way when they are trying to lure us in – yet such is also true of pretty much every single person in the story. It gets rather boring to read about everyone being attractive. I love it when we have more of your everyday people in stories. I’m never going to be a supermodel – hell, I barely pass as average on my good days – and because of that I prefer it when not everyone is a beauty queen. This is just a small nagging aspect for me, though.

Onto the good stuff, though.

The story really is well written. I cannot fault the author’s writing. There were one or two things that I wasn’t in tune with, at the start, but as the story developed I really came to enjoy her writing style. It is hers, and for that I’m pleased. I love it when writers have a style that is recognisably their own, and I’m already picking up what to expect from Siobhan Davis.

The characters are all interesting. I admit that it took me a while to enjoy the main character. There were times that I wished to shake her due to her views. I’m a natural pessimist, I look at the bad before the good, yet some of her views left me wanting to slap some sense into her. Mostly, I think this is because certain aspects of her character made her seem like every other protagonist. Despite that, I really did come to enjoy her. There were a lot of interesting characters throughout, and you do see development for many.

When we did get down to the alien action, it was so much fun. I could not put the book down for the last thirty percent, needing to know what happened. Then the ending… oh boy, I cannot wait to get my hands on the next book. There is so much potential. I really need to know what comes next. We have been given some details of the alien species – all of which are highly interesting – yet I have many unanswered questions. Honestly, I’m sure excited for the next one.

Actually, I’m beyond excited. I know the next one will work to amend what I disliked about this one. It is setup in such a way that I know all the good stuff is to come. Despite some trepidation in the earlier parts of this book, I really did enjoy it. Seriously, I cannot begin to explain the turnaround in my mind that has left me overly eager to continue the series.

Overall, a fantastic start to what is looking to be a wonderful series. I would like to thank, once again, the author for sending me this book in exchange for a review.

Bring on book two!
Profile Image for Jess (BookObsessedJess).
182 reviews28 followers
November 19, 2016
I VOLUNTARILY REVIEWED A COPY FROM THE "RACHEL E. CARTER YA BOOK CLUB ON GOODREADS."

I learned something about myself while reading this book. Namely, that if I develop a distaste for the book very early on, it is unlikely to change my mind as I wade my way through it. I had a very hard time motivating myself to finish this book. Which really is a shame because it had all the makings of a 3-4 star book for me based on the premise alone. Aliens! Mystery! Corrupt government! Star-crossed lovers!

But oh. My. Word.

Let us begin.

Things I am so sick of reading that if I read another book written this way, I am liable to break my e-reader, burn a book, or rip it to smithereens. (LBR..I am not actually going to do any of these things because my e-reader is my precious and books are my children.) ANYWAYS. Things I hate and can’t stand, as follows:

1. Precious cinnamon roll female leads who are sure of their hideousness because they are “weird” and then they find out that they are “hot” and mysterious and different and cannot fathom why. NEXT!
2. Insta-love* (vomits)
3. Male protagonist who is god-like in his hotness, is misunderstood, and genuinely a good guy and NOT the misogynistic pig we think he is in the beginning of the book. Dear lord. Make it stahhp.
4. Obvious “bad boy” who represents violence, lack of compassion, and rape culture to point out what a “good girl” and “good guy” the main couple is. NO. No more of this.

*Obviously I am a hypocrite in that I have at least one book on this site that falls victim to the insta-love but that is MY issue and I am allowed to be a hypocrite if I want! Side note: at least there was an eventual reason and explanation for the insta-love in this book.

Sadie. Sadie. Sadie. SMH. Her back and forth emotions through this book gave me whiplash. She can’t trust this guy. But now she can trust this guy, but not this other guy. OH WAIT. Nevermind, turns out she CAN’T trust that guy. All within the span of PAGES.

Logan. Super hot alien dude. NO MORE PET NAMES, FOR THE LOVE THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY, PLEASE. I hate when book guys become all possessive and protective in a creepy “you must do what I say, even though I know you value your independence” type of way that makes the girl cave EVERY. FLIPPING. TIME.

I didn’t hate this book. I really didn’t. I just was so unbelievably frustrated with the lack of character development. Something else I didn’t understand: if the aliens have a lack of conscience, how are there “good guys” and “bad”? In real life, if you have no conscience, you have no definition over what is right and wrong. There aren’t better people without consciences, that’s not how it works. I had a VERY hard time wrapping my pitiful head around that concept.

Once I was over 50% of the way through, I had a quicker time reading it and it captured my interest a tiny bit more. Also, listening to the Interstellar soundtrack via Spotify truly helped put me in the mood for aliens. So, while I didn’t hate this book, I didn’t particularly like it. If it takes me over half of the book to get into it, it’s not really for me.
Profile Image for Kat Montemayor.
Author 9 books223 followers
December 7, 2015
I was gifted a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

If something seems to good to be true, there is usually a reason why. Sadie Owens is a star, one of the lower caste of people who lives in the outer circle. The earth is going to hell in a handbasket and the evil government has created a system of classes--stars, the lowest, coins, the middle, and bullions, the upper. The stars have virtually no rights,not even the right to fall and love and marry. With such a dismal future in store for her, Sadie applies to go to Thalassic City, and underwater world promoted by the government. She is accepted, much to the chagrin of her awful mother, and packs her bag without a second look back.

I was immediately wary when I realized so many of those chosen to go to Thalassic City were of the lower caste. Would this government allow the stars the chance at a better life out of the goodness of their hearts? Of course not. This is dystopian after all. Turns out they are in cahoots with an alien race to acquire natural resources for the earth. What they want in exchange is quite disturbing.

Ms. Davis has taken a lot of the usual dystopian world traits and mixed them together with an interspecies love story. There was a lot of teenage angsty declarations of love and PDA in Sadie's story, which I'm not good with, but hey, I know I'm in the minority on that one. I hope in the second book Sadie gets to keep her shirt on and maybe learns to walk. (It seemed like every other page Logan was picking her up and carrying her, even when he was injured.)I did find the eterno connection interesting and hopefully we'll get to see more of that storyline in the next book. I do like my soulmate stories.

When it comes to cliffhangers, Ms. Davis wears the crown. As book one closes, I'm left with lots of questions. Such as, why does Sadie look so different as a child? Why does her family hate her so much?
Profile Image for Donna (BookDragonGirl).
843 reviews5 followers
March 20, 2017
I loved this book!
It's a little dystopian, a lot of sci-fi wwith aliens, romance and young adult.
The writing was fantastic, in my opinion! Wonderful world development (the underwater world was so cool), character development and everything just flowed in a way that I had trouble putting it down!! The characters were really great...some were a little mysterious at first, some were a little hard to like at first, but as all is revealed and as the characters grew you really became invested. I loved Sadie, she was an amazing girl. She didn't think she was, but I think by the end of the book she was beginning to see herself differently. I am looking forward to starting the next book! This one is going into my favorite books folder!!

Siobhan Davis gives Jennifer L Armentrout a run for her money!!!
Profile Image for Tayla Potayta.
396 reviews81 followers
February 5, 2016
I received an ARC for an honest review.

This book was really really good. I enjoyed it very much.

First of all I kinda wish the prologue wasn't there, or was put in the middle or something

Sadie:

Neve:

Logan:

Hayden:

Jared:

I am really excited for the next book :)
Profile Image for B. Truly.
Author 11 books354 followers
December 7, 2015
I was gifted with this novel by the author for an honest review. This entire review contains Spoilers.

Saven Deception is a great start into an intriguing series. The prologue was written well and had me flipping the page immediately. I've been into dystopian ever since reading Hunger Games. The beginning and ending of this novel didn't disappoint with the dystopian concept. Also, human appearing aliens are my absolute favorite.
This story has a lot of interesting elements. I like how the underwater theme fit into the story. And I loved the alien deception aspect. The title of this novel fits the plot perfectly.
The beginning and end of this novel were a fast read. The middle of this book had more of a high school angst feel, which had me rolling my eyes at times. I love angst, but it didn't seem to fit the genre of this book. I liked Logan when he and Sadie 1st met. I thought it was cute! By the middle of the book, Logan's mood swings were giving me whiplash. At that point, I knew Logan was an alien and couldn't be allowed to be with Sadie. But being that Logan cared for her regardless, he was doing a piss poor job at not hurting her feelings by his actions. I wanted to reach into the book and slap the shit out of him. And I wanted to shake sense into Sadie and say, "Snap out of it girl! He's dogging you."
That being said; this author is great about explaining things and explanations within the text by the end of the book. I loved that Ms. Siobhan, had the aliens still in the phase of learning human behaviors. Logan only being on Earth for only a year and also slowly adapting the human morality, explained so much with his erratic behavior. Logan was still learning, plus not having a full conscience, equaled to the crazy responses and reactions. It all made sense. Kind of like a toddler learning right from wrong. Morality has to be instilled from birth. The Saven's having only begun adapting and being born with an aggressive nature, made transitioning difficult. Normally in stories where aliens are pretending to be human, the aliens have already established the correct human behavior. So it was refreshing that the Saven were still in the transitioning process. Made the Saven feel more alien. After understanding, Logan was back in my good graces. He's a good guy, and I like how much he loves Sadie.
In the middle of this book, I enjoyed the scene when Sadie got hot coffee tossed all over her. Sadie has restraint, and I commend her for it. Had that been me; I would have dragged that woman from behind the counter by her hair, and it would have been on in her world. Lol.
The end of this novel brought the dystopian nature back to live. Full of conflict and action. Logan and Dante being brothers shocked me to the core. I'm normally a great guesser of twists, but I didn't see that one coming. Dante is cock-sucking scum. If he were burning, I wouldn't even waste my spit on him to try and dampen the flames. He's a character that I loath; looking so forward to his demise. He's in my top 3 most horrendous characters; equivalent to my hatred for Joffrey on Game of Thrones.
The scene with Logan's and Dante's father, clutching Sadie's boob was shocking, yet so entertaining. I love books relating to soulmates and destiny, so I enjoyed Logan's and Sadie's soul-bound connection. My fingers are crossed that we learn more about that concept in book #2. Also that we get some alien sci-fi sexually elements, when they finally become one.
My instincts tell me that Sadie is a hybrid. Hints were thrown out discreetly. Sadie looking totally different as a child and other aspects like the memory serum not working on her. Hum...there has to be a reason. The ending of this story left me with tons of questions, which I look forward to finding the answers to. "They are among us' were my final thoughts after finishing this book. That screams danger! Can't wait to read how more deception from the Saven unfolds. And what the hell is going to happen with the enemy that has followed them to Earth. Once again, Earth seems to be the center of the universe. Not only being deceived, but now it's in the mist of an alien feud.

I also want to mention that Logan was a huge fan of Will Smith. I am too. I've seen everything from Independence Day, to Legend, to his hilarious, Bad Boy movies. However, I have not seen any Men in Black movies. I like Dark-Sci-fi, Space Opera. Men in Black, always seemed cheesy to me, so I've never wanted to watch them. But Logan's constant mention of how good the movies are, now has me intrigued. So I will be watching the 1st Men in Black soon.

Profile Image for Emily Sarah.
278 reviews11 followers
November 1, 2016
I voluntarily reviewed a copy from the "Rachel E. Carter YA Book Club on Goodreads. I would like to thank Rachel and Siobhan both for giving me the chance to read and review this book!

Sadie Owens despises her hell hole of a life. She works in a factory, she lives in the poverty stricken Outer Circle of her city, and she has a family who doesn't love her.

When Sadie is selected for the government run test called the Experimento, she is excited to finally start a new life. In the first stage of the experiment, Sadie meets a host of new characters ranging from her new best friend, Jenna, to the semi-friend Neve, to the crazy/creepy Dante to the drop dead gorgeous boy named Logan, who also happens to be an alien.

Once in the second stage of the experiment: Thalassic City, Sadie tries to adjust to her new life as a student, but that's sometimes hard to do when she's got a love/hate relationship with the boy of her dreams, a government and alien plot that's killing humans, and friends stabbing her in the back.

Sadie Owens is a kick-ass heroine that so stubborn she's puts my redheaded stubbornness to shame. In Saven Deception you've got dynamic characters, a beautiful setting, and one heck of a plot.

Let's just say that Sadie got so much more than she originally bargained for.
Profile Image for meghann.
901 reviews1 follower
November 7, 2016
Whew. I read this book in one sitting yesterday. I just got sucked in and didn't come up for air until I had finished the book. Sadie lives in a world where people are divided into three classes. Those in her, the lowest, class will spend their lives working in factories. Only 10% will be allowed to marry and have children, and Sadie know there is little hope for happiness in her future. She signs up for an experiment the government is running aimed at solving the overpopulation crisis. Sadie will spend half a year in the stunning underwater Thalassic City, where the government restrictions placed on her class are lifted. But when things seem too good to be true, they often are.

I liked Sadie right off the bat, and I have some theories about her that I'm looking forward to testing in the next books in the series. Her cast of friends were great, but I went through a roller coaster of emotions about Logan. I like him now, but I have a feeling that there will be loads of drama in the next book that will keep me guessing. There were some elements of this book that usually bug me, but they just worked for me in this one. I will absolutely be reading the next book in this series.

***I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book from the Rachel E. Carter YA Book Club on Goodreads.***
Profile Image for Karla.
550 reviews15 followers
February 12, 2016

What I can say?

The book had me hooked from the first chapter.

I loved the book, it was unputdownable, I had an unquenchable thirst, an inch that needed scratching. I needed to know what happened next, like I needed my next breath.

An exhilarating ride with many twists and turns.

Can't wait to continue the adventure in book 2.

It was awesome.

5 stars...

Highly recommended for those who love YA Science Fiction, Fantasy and Dystopian novels.

Profile Image for Hetal.
727 reviews93 followers
September 20, 2016
Received a copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Interstellar Red Queen what?
Sadie Owens is a red lower (star) class citizen. Her family life sucks and she works a loathsome factory job. She puts her name in to participate in “the experimento”, an underwater city where she hopes her dreams of being something more in live will come true. Her hopes come to fruition but never in a way she imagined possible.

The moment she gets there, she feels an instant electric connection with handsome blue eyed Logan. Who is he? Why does everyone keep telling her to stay away from him? Why does he act so hot and cold to her? (refer to image above, in case the answer to these questions wasn’t obvious.)
Eventually after all the hot and cold bullshit, this happens…

HAZZAH the plot FINALLY gets a move on to the real shit going down.
Okay, I’ll get serious now.

Davis introduces us to a wide cast of characters all with their own individual quirks. Of course there’s broody adorable Prince Cal Logan and Special snowflake Mare Sadie, but there’s also Jenna, Sadie’s best friend, Maven Dante the evil sadistic asshole, Hayden, Logan and Sadie’s fierce and loyal protector, sweet, open-minded Fern, protective light of guidance Farley Vin, and last but not least- mysterious hacker 007 Kilorn Jarod.

I loved how all the characters fought and had trust issues, but overall knew that they had each other’s back in their new home. The status of being silvers or reds bullions, coins, and stars didn’t matter to them.

Really, the plot was fabulous, the setting unique and world, decently built, albeit very Red Queeny based. So, the reason I downgraded my rating so heavily to 3 stars is because of two things. The lack of understanding I feel in why Logan and Sadie instantly fell in love. I’m no stranger to insta-love books, the YA world is (unfortunately) full of them. But Sadie insists, despite spending barely any time with him, that he completely understands her on a whole another level.

“That’s the thing with Logan- maybe it’s the Eterno connection, or shared understanding, or he’s observed me more closely than I realized these last few months, but whatever it is- he gets me. His soul speaks to mine on an innate and spiritual level”

…What? GIRL. Get yourself together. You guys have never had a proper conversation for Pete’s sake. All you do is get angry at each other and then make out, a lot. Sadie repeats that he understands her OVER AND OVER again, along with how his blue eyes always pull her in. NEWS FLASH!! IF I WANTED TWILIGHT LIKE WRITING I’D READ TWILIGHT. No, I take it back. Even Bella and Edward had more conversations than Sadie and Logan do. PLEASE TALK. HANG OUT. ANYTHING.

Now, the plot well makes up for the insta-love and less than brilliant Twilightly romance, but seeing as the book was 75% of this…I have to bring my rating down to 3 stars.
With that said, I legit just got my hands on the next book Saven Disclosure and will promptly start reading it on the bus home from work.

If you enjoyed this review, do me a favor and check it out on my blog here along with a lot of my other reviews!! They're all first in series!
Profile Image for Moriah.
691 reviews86 followers
December 14, 2015
Sadie Owens lives life as a star, the lowest class in society. Living in the grunge of New York means that she doesn’t get to marry, have kids, or a life until she turns seventy-five, and by then it’ll be too late. She has two options: be one of the ten percent chosen to procreate in the outer sectors or be chosen to be part of the Experimento. The girl who doesn’t even fit in with her own family finally gets lucky and is chosen to be part of the Experimento, meaning she’ll be trained and sent to Thalassic City, an underwater world the government has created to deal with the overpopulation. While under water, she meets Logan. Meeting the mysterious boy is only the beginning of Sadie’s tumultuous journey—secrets will be revealed, promises made, and alliances formed that will change the course of her world forever.

First off, I loved the voice in this book. I had no trouble getting lost in Sadie’s story and getting caught up with everything that was happening, which happened to be a lot. Secondly, the story kept my attention far into the night; I had to know what happened next, who could be trusted, and what was in store for a country in ruin. The ending of the novel did not disappoint, and my fingers are already itching to get the next book in the series in my hands.

Sadie had a lot of growing to do when placed in the underwater facility. The only reason she had signed up for the opportunity was because she believed she had a strong lack thereof in the life she lived. Her family looked at her with judgmental and scornful eyes, and she needed to get away. I would have liked to know more about her father, and I hope to learn about his devastating decision in the oncoming books, as I feel his part in the story played a heavier hand than the one that it had been dealt. Her mother, a character mentioned fleetingly, also arises some interest in me. Since Sadie changed enormously from the girl that I met on the first page, how her family fits is bound to play an interesting role in the trilogy.

While there was science fiction, there was also a heavy dose of romance. Logan and Sadie started their relationship out as many teenagers do—through technology. One glance was all it took for them to fall hard for one another, but love did not come easily. Logan’s character kept me on my toes, and I couldn’t even begin to guess what would come out of his mouth next. I kept highlighting my favorite scenes with him and Sadie, loving every minute of watching them fall in love with one another. A whirlwind romance, this was one that stayed in my mind throughout the day even when I didn’t have the book in front of me.

Saven: Deception is another artful science fiction romance from Siobhan Davis. If you haven’t read her True Calling trilogy, it will be on the top of your list after reading this book, though don’t expect any similarities. Davis has done a magnificent job of creating an entirely new world, completely different than that of her other series. Breathtaking and adventurous, Saven: Deception is a phenomenal read that will keep you up into the night, reading until your eyes are too heavy to keep open.

Profile Image for Deana The  Queen .
459 reviews40 followers
June 10, 2020
Holy hot aliens! Siobhan Davis has again caused me to devolve into a veiled fugue state and lose hours living out a fantasy in another dream world she’s created.

Sadie feels unwanted and is living a dreary life of squalor in a dystopian nightmare. Forced out of school at 13 to work a monotonous factory job, she has nothing to look forward to except retirement 60 years from now. But now Sadie prays things will change for the better when she’s chosen by application for a six month government internship in underwater Thalassic City.

The internship program, called the Experimento, will help the government study the effects of living in an underwater environment. In a complete reversal of norms for Sadie, there is to be no curfew, set schedule, duties or segregation of classes in Thalassic City. In other words, this opportunity seems almost too good to be true.

In addition to a reprieve from daily life, a dark haired, blue-eyed hottie named Logan has been eyeing Sadie and wants to get to know her better. Thing is, Logan is a Bullion (top tier dude) and Sadie is a Star, lowest of the low. In the outside world, they would be completely forbidden.

Plus he’s an alien (yes, THAT kind of alien). And nothing is really at all what it seems.

How have I not heard of this series before? Once again the algorithm gods want to smite my choices. This was a nonstop ride from beginning to end and, thank the gods, there are four more books that follow.

What Davis does so well is create characters so richly complex and believable that you’re right there with them, cheering them on or wishing you could throat punch them. Deception is no exception. I love Sadie, and heavens, I can’t say enough about Logan, other than he’s got game! A darling, smoldering prince who’s also your soulmate? Um, yeah. Game.

Davis also does plot twists like no one else. Even though I knew Logan was an alien, I was still in total suspense to find out just what kind and what that meant for him and Sadie. I am continually surprised by the freshness of the threads in her tales.

I can’t wait to see where we go next.

25 reviews2 followers
January 18, 2016
This book had promise in its new world and class divided society to be a hidden gem. Sadly, it did not deliver.

The main characters fall in love using... movie quotes! One of the most over-used, cliche things to do.

Sadie, the main heroine, is pretty stupid. She does not show loyalty, or even plans things out very well.

If you are looking to read a book where a girl constantly has clues hit her in the face, insta-love with a guy who blows a girl off (and is literally perfect), and has no loose-ends tied up, this is the book for you.

We never find out what the deal is with Sadie's parents, but I'm guessing it plays a part.

I wouldn't read this if you don't enjoy the tstl girls.
Profile Image for Rachel's Book Reviews.
686 reviews82 followers
December 18, 2015
4.5-------mayyyyybe 5

I hesitate because the first 40% was quite slow.

But after that it picked up, it got interesting, a little grittier. Fantastic world building.
And I'm kind of a sucker for alien-earthling romance. I know, I'm weird.

But hey, that's what you get when you combine an enthusiastic Sci-Fi lover and an excitable spirit.

I'm just defenseless for these things. I don't know why. I can be absolutely brutal in some of my reviews, but I very rarely read a Sci-Fi I don't like.

I guess it's just my sweet-spot...or weak-spot depending on how you look at it.
4 reviews
March 1, 2016
I wish I could give it 4&1/2 stars. The only reason for a lower rating is that it took me a few chapters to really get into it. Once I got into it, I didn't want to put it down! Great characters, plenty of action, romance, and comedy, and overall a great story. And just enough of a cliffhanger to leave you wanting more, but not too much to make you angry. I would definitely read it again, and can't wait for the next book in the Saven series. I was gifted an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Lisa fletcher.
191 reviews6 followers
January 7, 2016
First I would like to say thank you to the author for a free copy of her amazing book to read and review. Then I would like to say wow this book had me hooked from the first word to the last fullstop, it was amazing I love this type of story so I was really excited to read this one and it didn't disappoint, it was a roller coaster of a ride reading this book.It had me up all night to finish it. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a fast passed read.
Profile Image for Arceli.
988 reviews
July 3, 2017
You can see my review at : Soaring Up High

What a thrilling, heartbreaking, and roller coaster book! I just was completely enthralled with this book from the first. Now, let me just ramble.

Seven Deception is a YA Science Fiction Romance novel. What I love about this book is the world created. Davis has done an superb job of explaining the world and the characteristics. I also love how the Science Fiction in this book is not stereotypical. Yes, there are dystopian elements in this book, but it isn’t the Hunger Games done all over again. I love the entire underwater world creation and how the alien race that is so mysterious. Boy, it is really cool. Thalassic City is the imaginary world where this book takes place. There is so many twists and turns. Nothing is as black and white. There is something brewing and the Davis has done an excellent job.

Sadie is the main narrator of this book. She is spunky and has a lot of strength. I love that Sadie isn’t a push over. She is clearly unhappy with the way of her life and she is from the lower faction. Instead of complaining and wasting pages rambling about how unfair, Sadie fights to make the life she wants. I love that about her.

Logan is the main hero in this book. I had mixed feeling about him at times. He was mysterious and his half lies was kind of annoying at times. However, I can see where he comes from. I just wish that Davis had incorporated his POV into this book so I could understand him better. But Logan is still extremely swoony. He is just a fine piece of male specimen. Well, he is much more.

The entire plot line of this book was extremely well paced. I love that there were many twists and turns. The best part of this book is that the romance was very well incorporated. Sadie and Logan do not get off on the right start. I love that Sadie does not go all hormonal on him and sets him straight. I love that Sadie does not take any of Logan’s crap. Both of them balance each other out. Except, the one thing I wished that was more involved was a little more angst. That would have been nice.

Well done Davis! I can’t wait to read the next book of the series. This is my first book of yours and I cannot wait to devour all of your books. I highly recommend this book for Science Fiction and Romance lovers.
February 20, 2017
Currently Free (02/20/2017) http://amzn.to/2lzymMS

Amazon -> http://amzn.to/1LXhsJy

Profile Image for Britni Duwii.
4 reviews2 followers
April 1, 2017
I received this book free and am voluntarily leaving a review.
I actually enjoyed this book. I liked the sci-fi twist of it rather than the usual we've seen of vampires and wolves. So instead if that we get the twist of aliens that have subtly invaded earth in the future. The author does well with introducing very interesting characters like Sadie and Logan who are our main characters in this book and giving you enough about them to get a just of who they are yet leaving out enough detail to draw you in and see what more you find out.
The plot is VERY interesting and completely different than any other plot line I've ever read or seen! These aliens that have come have made a rather interesting deal with humans in this story and you can tell on BOTH sides that some lines/allegiances will be tested and blurred when it comes to what's best for them individually and collectively.
The love shared between Sadie and Logan is a bit different as well.
So if you enjoyed Twilight or even The Hunger Games I think you would enjoy this book.
My downsides for this book was just that it was a bit too heavy on the teenage angst lol. The push and pull of that was a bit much for me and there was the weird interactions between Sadie and Logan but I'm assuming that's there for more of their character development. I'm a bit peeved there was not a lot of resolution to a character that was immediately introduced at the very start of the book. Once she was mentioned again I thought we would get a bit more back story or she would have more of a presence but no such luck. Hopefully the next book(s) will do that.
I'll definitely be continuing on with the series.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 274 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.