Start by marking “Feelings” as Want to Read:

Feelings

This classic picture book from beloved author-illustrator Aliki is a great way to explore feelings with younger kids, whether at home or in the classroom. Happy, sad, shy, excited—how do you feel? No matter the emotion, Feelings explores it—and helps children understand and express their own feelings.

Best-selling author Aliki uses a child-friendly cartoon style to build em
Published May 21st 2019 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1984)

Start your review of Feelings
Ronyell
Feelings

I am a huge fan of “Reading Rainbow” as my bookshelf is stock full of “Reading Rainbow” books! One of my favorite stories to ever come out of “Reading Rainbow” was a children’s book called “Feelings” by Aliki! “Feelings” is definitely a brilliant book about describing different types of feelings from everyone that children will love for many years!

Basically, this book is just showcasing all different types of feelings such as anger, sadness, embarrassment and jealousy through illustrations and
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
Me and my siblings had a blast reading this book after it was given to us as a gift, and you know what? It did actually help us talk about our feelings a bit, and we cracked up together at some of the illustrations, like the kid crying. Yeah, that was a little mean but we didn't do it in real life, and there were a lot of great illustrations and an age-appropriate way to present feelings and possible reasons someone might feel or act this way. Overall it's a pretty great book for younger kids, b ...more
Stacie
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Lots of feelings to explore. It's too bad the pictures are so small - otherwise would be a great book to read to grade school kids to talk about emotions. JoCo library.
Margaret Tata
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a childhood favorite of mine and I recently revisited it and found that I still love it. The illustrations are simple yet evocative, each one a short story demonstrating at least one emotion or “feeling.” My one concern is that there isn’t a lot of compassion shown for children in the book who display negative emotions such as greed, jealousy, and anger. Particularly upsetting is the overweight little girl being called greedy, selfish, rude, and embarrassing by her peers for asking for ...more
Lauren Duffy
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
After seeing this book recommended for preschool children I checked it out from the library. I’m very glad I didn’t buy it because honestly I can’t imagine reading this more than once. It has a bit of an off and disjointed format. I also believe it’s geared toward children a bit older maybe 6 and 7 versus preschool age. It’s a Reading Rainbow Book and to be honest I was surprised that we didn’t enjoy it. I recommend finding another title if you’re looking to explain and discuss emotions and feel ...more
W
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I may be at my twenties now but my heart still long for children's books... There is really something about how they were written in order to teach children about the complexities of life without compromising their innocence. Well, Feelings by Aliki did it. The scenes from the book were really simple yet gave an impact to me because even though we would just see it as simple situations, still, it would greatly affect the children and they might even carry it to their adulthood.
Me
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute book for kids, similar to a graphic novel and would be appropriate for pre-school to early elementary aged readers. Feelings such as jealousy, pride, and embarrassment are acted out in a comic strip manner which gives plenty of opportunity for discussion between the adult and child.
Lale
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This is by far my favourite children's book from my own childhood. It's been a huge influence on my mind, as I remember or reference sentences from it almost daily. And a great influence - validating all sorts of feelings, never in a judgmental way.
Rebecca Anderson
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute book. This was recommended reading for a 5 year old on her school reading list. Because of small illustrations and print, I think it would have been better suited for a child a bit older. It did do a good job of covering all emotions.
T
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-read
I really wanted to like this book, but the art was meh and the words were too small. There were a lot of good emotions explained but it felt chaotic and all over the place.
Talea
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Made my boy stop and think about things. Worth 5 stars just to see him realize he isn't alone and that he impacts people more than he thinks.
Jc
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Feelings can be hard to describe for some people. Here is a book that can help you share those thoughts and feelings.
Rosibel Matta
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book that teaches kids about feelings with funny stories and fun stuff.
Hamza
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this book very
Rebecca
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sonlight-core-k
A great way to discuss feelings with your lower level students and children. Good to teach them the many labels for different emotions not just happy and sad.
Sydney Drinkwater
Actually skipped reading this to the kids according to our Sonlight curriculum schedule, because I didn't appreciate it in my pre-read. It's weird.
Tionna Dorsey
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
"Feelings" by Aliki Brandenberg is apart of the nonfiction collection. Aliki Brandenberg has won the Pennsylvania School Librarians Association Award once. The age recommended for the book "Feelings" is young children 4 to 8 years old (P)primary.

This book shows how children articulate their feelings. In the book some children are glad, sad, mad and happy( various emotions). This book has several short stories throughout, so I choose to focus on a story called "I Have Feelings". This story is hum
David
Jun 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Feelings by Aliki Brandenberg is a Reading Rainbow book about feelings that children experience. It focuses both on feelings and on empathy toward what others are feeling.

The text is in varying fonts, some of them rather small. Along with the illustrations, it shows what children are thinking, both the child being focused on and those around him or her. Text is supplied showing what the watching birds are thinking and saying to each other.

The illustrations really carry this book. The front and
Amy Lafleur Meyers
Interesting book on feelings. I was curious to see this because I know that Aliki is considered a pretty good author for books for young children. This book was great because it does show the range of feelings that children might feel. Each feeling is shown in sort of it's own mix of picture book/cartoon style sketch. I wasn't entirely sure of the audience for this book seeing as feelings books tend to be good for toddlers and preschoolers but this book is a bit wordy for that audience. I could ...more
Rebecca Abrams
Jun 26, 2012 rated it liked it
I really liked this book. It is about feelings, it shows feelings of happiness, being shy, excitement, etc. The book is written and illustrated by Aliki. There is no main character, however there are different boy and girl figures who show the different expressions. Each emotion has a different description, for one a boy is shouting and the words represent his feelings. Another a conversation takes place in which the expression of happiness is addressed. I thought it was a very cute book and wou ...more
Ebookwormy1
This lovely storybook about feelings was a welcome surprise. Instead of boring children with a repetitive style, Aliki has instead assembled a collections of poems, illustrations and short stories that explore the emotional lives of children.

What makes the book particularly valuable is that BOTH positive and negative emotions are included, as well as examples of children handling them well and making mistakes. Fun, whimsical drawings keep the tone light, even when interspersed with some 'darker
Scott Roark
Great book to show children that everyone experiences similar feelings and that those feelings can be effected by others. Extension could be developed by allowing children to draw or write about a time when they experience a feeling on one of the pages, such as fear or happiness. Good book to read in the beginning of the school year for younger students. If a student is caught being a bully, they should have to read this book and describe the feeling that they might have made the other child fee ...more
Erin Buhr
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
A gentle book that collects the moments of childhood that fill our little ones with emotion. Getting lost, losing a pet, building a tower and having someone knock it down, sharing with a friend, and everything in between is covered somewhere on the pages of Aliki's FEELINGS. Childhood is full of strong emotions, both good and bad, and Aliki has perfectly captured them in a parade of moments and incidents described through conversations and thoughts and illustrated with soft, but expressive drawi ...more
Sada
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: littles-faves
To be honest, I thought this book was wacky and sometimes too out there for little ones. But, my preschooler asked to read it every day for weeks, and I would frequently find the little pre-reader sitting quietly, looking through it on her own. So it works for her and gives a great outlet to a huge range of feelings. It's more nuanced than some newer "emotional literacy" books and provides a depth of feelings that we should acknowledge that our kids have, just like adults.
Christie Lee
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was deeply moved by the range of emotions that are so well described by this author. The examples are perfect for children to comprehend. The book is set up sort of like a comic book, with lots of little words and pictures, not in a "usual" format. I would say this book would be great to talk to children about empathy and compassion for others.
jacky
Dec 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, tv
yea for Reading Rainbow. This is one I'm pretty sure I read and not only saw on TV. I remember Honey, I love and Fireflies, but I think those are only from the TV show and I never read at the library.
Lisa
Sep 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
I liked how the book had illustrations for the younger children and more text for the older children. I think there may be too much going on on some of the pages, but I like how more than just the usual emotions (happy, sad) were used.
Melinda
Useful for teaching my children about feelings. Interesting how some children pick up on other people's feelings-and their own- right off, but some children have to be consciously taught about feelings. Apparently less aware of them? Inclined to ignore or discount the effects of emotions.
Cheryl Clearwater
Apr 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
great kid and adult book
Rory
Jun 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A childhood favorite that my sister recently checked out of the library, and the memories came flooding back.

• If You Lived In Colonial Times
  • The World According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #1)
  • Three Young Pilgrims
  • Love from Anna Hibiscus!
  • Anna Hibiscus
  • George vs. George: The American Revolution As Seen from Both Sides
  • Something from Nothing
  • I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie
  • Stick and Stone
Aliki has written and illustrated many books, both fiction and nonfiction, loved by readers throughout the world. The books were inspired by a word, an experience, or the desire to find out. Aliki lives in London, England.

News & Interviews