Start by marking “Feelings” as Want to Read:

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  339 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Happy, sad, shy, excited--how do you feel? Sometimes it's hard to explain you feelings. Share this book with a friend and you'll both feel terrific!
Published July 15th 1986 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1984)

Ronyell
Feelings

I am a huge fan of “Reading Rainbow” as my bookshelf is stock full of “Reading Rainbow” books! One of my favorite stories to ever come out of “Reading Rainbow” was a children’s book called “Feelings” by Aliki! “Feelings” is definitely a brilliant book about describing different types of feelings from everyone that children will love for many years!

Basically, this book is just showcasing all different types of feelings such as anger, sadness, embarrassment and jealousy through illustrations and b
Stacie
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Lots of feelings to explore. It's too bad the pictures are so small - otherwise would be a great book to read to grade school kids to talk about emotions. JoCo library.
Margaret Tata
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a childhood favorite of mine and I recently revisited it and found that I still love it. The illustrations are simple yet evocative, each one a short story demonstrating at least one emotion or “feeling.” My one concern is that there isn’t a lot of compassion shown for children in the book who display negative emotions such as greed, jealousy, and anger. Particularly upsetting is the overweight little girl being called greedy, selfish, rude, and embarrassing by her peers for asking for ...more
Me
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute book for kids, similar to a graphic novel and would be appropriate for pre-school to early elementary aged readers. Feelings such as jealousy, pride, and embarrassment are acted out in a comic strip manner which gives plenty of opportunity for discussion between the adult and child.
Talea
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Made my boy stop and think about things. Worth 5 stars just to see him realize he isn't alone and that he impacts people more than he thinks.
T
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-read
I really wanted to like this book, but the art was meh and the words were too small. There were a lot of good emotions explained but it felt chaotic and all over the place.
Jc
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Feelings can be hard to describe for some people. Here is a book that can help you share those thoughts and feelings.
Tionna Dorsey
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
"Feelings" by Aliki Brandenberg is apart of the nonfiction collection. Aliki Brandenberg has won the Pennsylvania School Librarians Association Award once. The age recommended for the book "Feelings" is young children 4 to 8 years old (P)primary.

This book shows how children articulate their feelings. In the book some children are glad, sad, mad and happy( various emotions). This book has several short stories throughout, so I choose to focus on a story called "I Have Feelings". This story is hum
David
Jun 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Feelings by Aliki Brandenberg is a Reading Rainbow book about feelings that children experience. It focuses both on feelings and on empathy toward what others are feeling.

The text is in varying fonts, some of them rather small. Along with the illustrations, it shows what children are thinking, both the child being focused on and those around him or her. Text is supplied showing what the watching birds are thinking and saying to each other.

The illustrations really carry this book. The front and
Amy Lafleur
Interesting book on feelings. I was curious to see this because I know that Aliki is considered a pretty good author for books for young children. This book was great because it does show the range of feelings that children might feel. Each feeling is shown in sort of it's own mix of picture book/cartoon style sketch. I wasn't entirely sure of the audience for this book seeing as feelings books tend to be good for toddlers and preschoolers but this book is a bit wordy for that audience. I could ...more
Rebecca Abrams
Jun 26, 2012 rated it liked it
I really liked this book. It is about feelings, it shows feelings of happiness, being shy, excitement, etc. The book is written and illustrated by Aliki. There is no main character, however there are different boy and girl figures who show the different expressions. Each emotion has a different description, for one a boy is shouting and the words represent his feelings. Another a conversation takes place in which the expression of happiness is addressed. I thought it was a very cute book and wou ...more
Ebookwormy1
This lovely storybook about feelings was a welcome surprise. Instead of boring children with a repetitive style, Aliki has instead assembled a collections of poems, illustrations and short stories that explore the emotional lives of children.

What makes the book particularly valuable is that BOTH positive and negative emotions are included, as well as examples of children handling them well and making mistakes. Fun, whimsical drawings keep the tone light, even when interspersed with some 'darker
Erin Buhr
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
A gentle book that collects the moments of childhood that fill our little ones with emotion. Getting lost, losing a pet, building a tower and having someone knock it down, sharing with a friend, and everything in between is covered somewhere on the pages of Aliki's FEELINGS. Childhood is full of strong emotions, both good and bad, and Aliki has perfectly captured them in a parade of moments and incidents described through conversations and thoughts and illustrated with soft, but expressive drawi ...more
Scott Roark
Great book to show children that everyone experiences similar feelings and that those feelings can be effected by others. Extension could be developed by allowing children to draw or write about a time when they experience a feeling on one of the pages, such as fear or happiness. Good book to read in the beginning of the school year for younger students. If a student is caught being a bully, they should have to read this book and describe the feeling that they might have made the other child fee ...more
Sada
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: littles-faves
To be honest, I thought this book was wacky and sometimes too out there for little ones. But, my preschooler asked to read it every day for weeks, and I would frequently find the little pre-reader sitting quietly, looking through it on her own. So it works for her and gives a great outlet to a huge range of feelings. It's more nuanced than some newer "emotional literacy" books and provides a depth of feelings that we should acknowledge that our kids have, just like adults.
Christie Lee
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was deeply moved by the range of emotions that are so well described by this author. The examples are perfect for children to comprehend. The book is set up sort of like a comic book, with lots of little words and pictures, not in a "usual" format. I would say this book would be great to talk to children about empathy and compassion for others.
Melinda
Useful for teaching my children about feelings. Interesting how some children pick up on other people's feelings-and their own- right off, but some children have to be consciously taught about feelings. Apparently less aware of them? Inclined to ignore or discount the effects of emotions.
jacky
Dec 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, tv
yea for Reading Rainbow. This is one I'm pretty sure I read and not only saw on TV. I remember Honey, I love and Fireflies, but I think those are only from the TV show and I never read at the library.
Lisa
Sep 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
I liked how the book had illustrations for the younger children and more text for the older children. I think there may be too much going on on some of the pages, but I like how more than just the usual emotions (happy, sad) were used.
Benjamin Elliott
The book is cute and the different scenes it depicts do a good job showing the different emotions portrayed; however, the hodge-podge nature makes this book impossible to read aloud.
Alex
Oct 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
It was cute, intersting pictures.
Rory
Jun 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A childhood favorite that my sister recently checked out of the library, and the memories came flooding back.
Jen
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb
This series of vignettes is great for kids and parents to discuss. Older book, but still relevant.
Deborah Harris
Nov 27, 2013 added it
Shelves: a1, ar-2
AR Quiz No. 9765 EN Nonfiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.0 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
Matthew Ridley
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My dad read it to me. He's a therapist. This book is really cool.
Chase.curriculum
Heather
September 2016
Mckenzie Knight
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really like how this book talked about feelings and have examples of how you feel in certain situations. Great for any age group.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Gila Monsters Meet You at the Airport
  • Anno's Counting Book
  • Perfect the Pig
  • Words Are Not for Hurting(Best Behavior)
  • Weather Words And What They Mean
  • I Like Me!
  • Morris's Disappearing Bag
  • My Friends/Mis Amigos
  • Duck & Goose, How Are You Feeling?
  • Harry and the Terrible Whatzit
  • Hands Are Not for Hitting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior
  • Appelemando's Dreams
  • The Beast of Monsieur Racine
  • Avocado Baby
Aliki has written and illustrated many books, both fiction and nonfiction, loved by readers throughout the world. The books were inspired by a word, an experience, or the desire to find out. Aliki lives in London, England.