Start by marking “Arabian Nights & Arabian Nights: Traditional Tales from a Thousand and One Nights, Contemporary Tales for Adults” as Want to Read:

3.17  ·  Rating details ·  6 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Magic carpets and flying horses, caverns glittering with gold, unexpected plotlines following the fortunes of heroes and villains - who can fail to be enthralled by the magic and wonder of the tales of the One Thousand and One Nights?

This most celebrated collections of tales feature shape-shifting and miraculous transportation across continents, powerful jinn who rise like
Published October 11th 2016 by Labyrinthe Press

To ask other readers questions about Arabian Nights & Arabian Nights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arabian Nights & Arabian Nights

Chris
Disclaimer: ARC via Netgalley
On one hand giving this book three stars is a bit unfair. There is much to love about this book. Johnson takes some of the stories from the 1001 Arabian Nights, presents translations, then gives a modern update, and concludes with an essay about the story. The stories and afterwords are chosen with an eye to faith, inter-faith to be more exact.
The strongest part of the book is the afterwords. Johnson is at his best when he is showcasing how the stories can be used
Bandit
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Oh silly me. To think what I actually expected from a book with that title was in fact some Scheherazade tales and maybe some more of her tales. But no, this volume contains only a select few stories inexplicably coupled up with Johnson's own takes on the classics updated for the modern world. The thing is wherein the original stories are timeless morality driven charmingly exotic species...Johnson's versions are puerile jejune imitations of varied but invariably low quality (and decidedly lacki ...more
Oh My Bookness
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Arabian Nights & Arabian Nights: by Clive Johnson

The tales of Arabian Nights & Arabian Nights are made up of scoundrel and noble characters. This book is made up of various stories that all tend to be quite extraordinary in their own way. Author Clive Johnson took the classic iconic tales and gave them a makeover with their underlying classical whimsy intact. There is more though, can’t forget about the new clever twist. Who doesn’t like a good twist.

These days re-writing classic tales
Jenn S.
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading the translations and the afterword sections a lot. I learned things I didn't know and was able to view the tales from a new angle, through a different lens. That part of this book is really well done and enjoyable to read, and easily earns three to four stars. What I didn't enjoy was the retelling sections, in a modern voice. For me, this part was flat and unpolished, the characters didn't feel fleshed out and the dialogue felt unnatural. It was all telling and little to no sho ...more
Brian
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed-by-me
I had the greatest of hopes for this book. Sadly, my hopes were dashed but the book was not a complete waste of time. Rereading my old favorites was quite enlightening and I have to admit some of the insight provided by the author was fun.

I can neither recommend nor lead you away from this book.
N.N. Light
I remember reading Aladdin and Ali Baba when I was young, imagining I had a magic carpet and could fly all over the world. Now, Clive Johnson has breathed new life into these fantastic stories with his collection of modern-day stories. From Aladdin to Scheherazade to even Sinbad the Sailor, these classical tales are paired with a modern retelling along with detailed analysis and insight.

It’s clear that Johnson is a scholar and has studied these tales. His passion for these stories, as well as th
Clive Johnson
Aug 27, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Patricia
May 18, 2017
Dhruv
is currently reading it
Aug 09, 2017
I am a student and follower of the perennial tradition – the belief that many myths, fairy stories and faith traditions point to common truths at their heart. I have had a lifelong interest in the power of myth and the oral tradition of story telling.

I enjoy reading contemporary fiction, short stories, literary classics, and tales with a mystical or spiritual element. I am slowly increasing my ap
More about Clive Johnson...