Start by marking “Love Beyond Body, Space, and Time” as Want to Read:
Love Beyond Body, Space, and Time

Love Beyond Body, Space, and Time

Love Beyond Body, Space, and Time is a collection of indigenous science fiction and urban fantasy focusing on LGBT and two-spirit characters. These stories range from a transgender woman undergoing an experimental transition process to young lovers separated through decades and meeting in their own far future. These are stories of machines and magic, love and self-love.

Published August 24th 2016 by Bedside Press

To ask other readers questions about Love Beyond Body, Space, and Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Beyond Body, Space, and Time

Start your review of Love Beyond Body, Space, and Time
Debbie
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most depictions of Native peoples are by people who aren't Native... people who feel compelled to create Native characters and stories, but who do so from a place of good intentions shaped by hundreds of years of misrepresentations of who we were, and who we are. As a Native scholar and literary critic working primarily in children's and young adult literature, I often feel quite raw after reading one starred messed up book after another about Native peoples.

With that as context, I gotta say
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
Some really great stories in here! And not a bad one in the bunch! I'd call this more a collection of speculative fiction rather than strict science fiction, so there's something in here for you even if you're not a hard SF fan. Full review here
Shira Glassman
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shira by: everyone lol
My favorite story in the Love Beyond Body, Space, & Time collection is cis f/f fluff by Darcie Little Badger, about which she says, "Né łe is a lighthearted story about lesbians and puppies in space." Forty chihuahas (and one husky!) need care when the dog stasis on the transport to Mars malfunctions and they all wake up, so the crew wakes up one of the human passengers, an Apache veterinarian on her way to the Martian colony to start over after a breakup. Really, does anything I say here ...more
Romie
Aliens, by Richard Van Camp
4/5 Definitely a beautiful story with a Two-Spirited character
Legends are made, not born, by Cherie Dimaline 2/5 Didn’t really understand what this story was about . . .
Perfectly you, by David A. Robertson
4.5/5 OMG I LOVED THIS ONE! It shows how important it is to enjoy your life while you can
The boys who became the hummingbirds, by Daniel Heath Justice
5/5 Definitely my favourite! This story is about being who you truly are, and not being ashamed of it. And you should
Emma
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Love beyond body, space, and time
is a collection of indigenous science fiction and urban fantasy focusing on LGBT and two-spirit characters. It is very well done and it was so nice to read about all these characters. I must admit that I liked some stories more than others. My favourite was definitely Aliens by Richard Van Camp, I really liked it.
If you're into sci-fi, indigenous history and
Chasia Lloyd
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure what I was getting into when I requested an e-ARC for this sci-fi anthology from Indigenous writers, most who identify somewhere on the QUILTBAG & two-spirit spectrum. My exposure to such an intersection is pathetically close to zero. But I hope this anthology will inspire more publishers to buy works from queer, Indigenous SFF writers, because the world needs more of this.

We have some great openings from Hope Nicholson, Grace L. Dillon, and Niigaanwewidam James Sinclair before
Gabi
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful and tender anthology.
I went into it with little to none knowledge about indigenous writers or two-spirits. So for me the introductory essays were very good and helpful.
Although I would half of the stories not necessarily count among SF, every single one of them convinces with humanity and loving understanding of the authors for their characters. I felt somehow safe and warm while reading them.

My favourites were:

- "Perfectly you" by David A. Robertson, which deeply moved me
Celine
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff
I was provided a copy of this by the publisher.
So, I stand by my opinion, that anthologies are not good to get out a reading slump, but I have to amend that this one is an exception. I couldn't put it down, because literally every story had me at the second line in the latest and didn't let me go until the end. It's everything I love (non-normative SF(F)) and every single author in this is so talented....asfggjkl. Best way to end not only the year but alsp the decade.
autumn
i really liked almost all the stories in this! my favorites were Né łe, Valediction at the Star View Hotel, and especially The Boys Who Became the Hummingbirds. I also really appreciated that a lot (more than half) of the stories were about trans characters - in 'lgbt' anthologies (and 'lgbt' stories in general) like this it's usually at least 99% cis gay people.
Glaiza
"So they darted to those whose hearts beat strongest, streaks of blinding bright grace, calling to them in soft voices, sharing stories of possibility beyond the grim dust of what was to a hopeful possibility of what could be."

- The Boys Who Became The Hummingbirds, Daniel Heath Justice

I wish I could have spent more time in each of the speculative worlds as I was so immersed in the different tensions, joys and resolutions of each one.

Cont'd on the blog: https://paperwanderer.wordpress.com/2...
Nicole Field
NetGalley Review

I was really excited to read this anthology. Far too many books about persons of colour aren't written by the people they are representing. And to add to it, this book was specifically LGBTI? I was hooked. I grabbed it as soon as I saw it.

Unfortunately, the biggest problem I found was the order of the first four stories, put together in such a way that it seemed all the contributions to this anthology were a bit sameish. That's not the fault of the contributors, of course, but it made an
Paul
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great collection of stories. My favorite was probably IMPOSTER SYNDROME by Mari Kurisato, which is a great story that adds it's own unique elements to a "Philip k dick/cyberpunk"-ish kind of story. I would definitely recommend this collection to anyone who loves sci-fi & fantasy
K.
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow this book is impressive. It's everything I've ever wanted. Native stories by Native authors, scifi and fantasy elements, LGBT and two-spirit characters...I didn't want it to end. I hope another anthology comes out in the future!
Elizabeth
Love Beyond Body, Space, and Time is an excellent collection of short stories, and its existence is completely necessary. I think marginalised communities deserve to be able to read more genre fiction about themselves, especially when there are so many ways that marginalised identities intersect. This anthology fills a gap that deserves to be filled.

I was familiar with some of the writers in this anthology, and the ones I already knew were ones I already adored. Some of the others were entirely
Katrina (trinareadsbooks)
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it

I enjoyed - even loved - most of the stories in this anthology. And, not only did they entertain me immensely, but they educated me too.
Brigid
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review at the Alliterates

I don’t read anthologies ever. Some anthologies are written to push publishers to think about the spaces and voices missing on reader’s shelves. This is one of those anthologies. My desire to read this is to push for more Indigenous visibility and representation for #IndigAThon, hosted by Michelle at Thor Wants Another Letter and Brody at Et tu, Brody?. Honestly, if we’re talking about diversity but there are people not being represented what the hell is the point? Those
Lexie
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
*I received a copy of this on NetGalley

This was such a beautiful book! I normally struggle to read short story anthologies, but every single story in this was so easy to read. They characters were all so unique and wonderful, and the world-building was especially impressive, given how short some of these stories were. Each one had so much heart, and I loved every single one. Reading this book felt like I was given an incredibly precious gift, and I am so thankful to have had the opportunity to
Ben Babcock
First, huge shout-out to the Oxford comma lurking in this title. Yeah, it’s kind of a big deal.

Love Beyond Body, Space, and Time is an anthology of queer Indigenous science fiction and fantasy by Indigenous authors. That’s it, and yet it is so much more. I really liked Hope Nicholson’s comment in her foreword about how some stories aren’t meant to be told, or at least, do not need to be shared with just anyone. This is something I've become more aware of as I learn more about the traditions of
Ashleigh
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
I know very little about indigenous people, but I am always open to learning more about different cultures and backgrounds.

I had actually never heard about two-spirited people before, and I really appreciated the great description we got at the beginning of the book.

Unfortunately, this anthology just didn't work for me. I thought the writing in the majority of the stories was good, and it definitely helped introduce me to topics I knew nothing about, but I wouldn't say I loved the anthology.
Anne-Marie
A much-needed, varied anthology collection of indigenous LGBTQIA+ stories in the sci-fi genre.
Some I really enjoyed, while others were just okay for me.
Definitely recommend for those who have even a passing interest in the topics/collection!

My favourites:

Aliens - Niigaan Sinclair
The boys who became the hummingbirds - Daniel Heath Justice
Né Łe! - Darcie Little Badger
Transitions - Gwen Benaway
Alia
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is so dang beautiful.
Zaneta  @ I'm Fully Booked
An e-copy received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Love Beyond Body, Space and Time is a sci-fi anthology of stories about indigenous LGBTQ+ and Two-Spirited people, written by own voices authors.
I've picked up this book for a few different reasons:
- I enjoy short stories and anthologies are a great way for me to split up my reading, especially after reading long books;
- Sci-fi is one of my favourite genres to read;
- I am not very knowledgeable on the topic of indigenous people
Lydia
The LGBTIQA community is often described as a minority. And while this is true, a world population of 7.5 billion people means that we are not as small as we sometimes feel. In fact, the Intersex Society of North America estimates that 1 in 2000 babies are born intersex, so there is a higher population of intersex people in the world than there are Jewish people. And that’s just for intersex people.

We are a clamouring of colour and a clamouring of voices. We are as diverse as we are numerous.
Emily
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Watch a mini-review in my August 2017 wrap up!

I REALLY enjoyed this anthology!

This book is an exploration of love in its many forms, and though I liked some stories more than others, all of them were evocative. This is an anthology that will make you FEEL. In particular I loved Né Łe by Darcie Little Badger--badass veterinarian in space? Ladies loving ladies? PUPPIES IN SPACE??? What more do you want?--and Transitions by Gwen Benaway--the end of this one, in particular, was just beautiful. I
Jenna
Fantastic! There are times when I read Sci Fi and I am astounded by new ideas & concepts. This was one of those experiences but enhanced even more because it's Native. A few of these stories made me feel like I was sitting & listening to one of my grandma's or another tribal elder's stories. It's wonderful to find books like that - I don't often do. And all of this combined with queer characters and ideas.
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Overall I really enjoyed this but I would have liked for the stories to be more similar in length. I didn't enjoy the super long to super short structure to this anthology. however I felt like I learned a lot and it was Canadian which I didn't know before starting so I was very impressed. Review to come on Books and Ladders!
Joy
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I essentially read this cover-to-cover, but it was in pdf. Very much recommended.
S. Barker
Nov 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book
I was expecting this to blow my mind, but it didn't. It was a nice read, though, with lots of different characters and stories. It didn't blow my mind, but it was nice.
Isaiah
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To read more reviews check out MI Book Reviews.

I got an ARC of this book.

Like any anthology there are stories that are amazing and some that just don't do it for me. There were stories that were so fantastic I would have read full length novels of them without blinking like they were than engrossing.

One of my favorite stories has a bunch of dogs, which if you know me is the exact way to get to my heart. The dogs were a great way to get the love story going. It allowed an older woman and a
Andrea
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
this was so delightful! as with any anthology there were some stories I loved and some that were "meh." I appreciated the introductions that touched on the importance of intersectional stories like this, but they were a bit long and at first I thought they were supposed to be part of the main story collection.

Aliens - Richard Van Camp
this one was weird... not a strong start for me. the POV was too chatty and not directly related to who it was about, and the queerness wasn't even confirmed,
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #35 Love Beyond Body, Space, and Time 1 4 Jun 30, 2019 10:27AM

• Take Us To Your Chief And Other Stories
  • Pemmican Wars (A Girl Called Echo)
  • This Place: 150 Years Retold
  • Little Fish
  • Trickster Drift
  • Moon of the Crusted Snow
  • The Stars and the Blackness Between Them
Hope Nicholson is the owner of Winnipeg-based publishing Bedside Press. She's an ardent comics fan passionate about bringing new stories to light, and author of the book "The Spectacular Sisterhood of Superwomen" which shines light on characters forgotten by comics history.
“Not all stories need to be shared, because the act of sharing makes them vulnerable to change and exploitation.” 1 likes