Start by marking “Milk Run (Smuggler's Tales From The Golden Age Of The Solar Clipper, #1)” as Want to Read:
Milk Run (Smuggler's Tales From The Golden Age Of The Solar Clipper, #1)

Milk Run

(Smuggler's Tales From The Golden Age Of The Solar Clipper #1)

Academy graduate Natalya Regyri stood first in line for her pick of Engineering Officer jobs, until, at the graduation party, a classmate turned up dead. Now, betrayed by her friends and framed for murder, she must flee beyond the reach of the Confederation...and any semblance of civilized society.

With a damaged second-hand ship and TIC interceptors dogging her step, she
Published August 26th 2016 by Durandus

To ask other readers questions about Milk Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Milk Run

Start your review of Milk Run (Smuggler's Tales From The Golden Age Of The Solar Clipper, #1)
Dan
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Quite good, the start of a new series, in the Solar Clipper universe. I look forward to more.
robert kaliski
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mr Lowell gets better and better

One of the reasons I have read through almost all of the Solar Flipper series is that there are no epic ten thousand ship battles, perfect officers who have more luck than all the 4 leaf clovers in Ireland and evil villains who are .....too evil. No the people in this universe are the same people you run into all the time. They are just trying to make a living in an environment that is totally unforgiving. You can care for the characters because they feel real. So
Debrac2014
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I got hooked on the story from the beginning! I had a feeling who the culprits were!

2020 - After reading By Darkness Forged and seeing Nats and Zee in the story, I just had to do a quick re-read of Milk Run! Still a good story!
Alex
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Maude knows what I’m going to do when I run out of Nathan Lowell books.
Cmoore
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An awesome first-in-a-spin-off-series, of the shared Tales from the Golden Age of the Solar Clipper. As a first novel it can and does stand alone... It's totally independent of the original series, and it broadens our understanding of the way (Nathan Lowell's) universe works!
Just what have Nats and Zee gotten themselves in to? What should be a Celebration and Graduation feast turns into a disaster, with a death, and a frame-up for murder...
Nathan Lowell tends to joke that nothing happens in his
Soukyan Blackwood
Feb 10, 2020 rated it liked it
all reviews in one place:
night mode reading
;
skaitom nakties rezimu

From one great event that's left in the dust by the story, to the next. Characters were mediocre, with little effort put in to change their whole course, and not too much depth. The captain was mister-right, agreeing with all things he had to agree, and disagreeing with all things he had to disagree with, thus propelling the plot without any events greater than the final attempt at a hold-up.

This wasn't very entertaini
David P. Duffy
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Immature Portrait of "Nancy Drew" If She Was A Future Spacer

"Milk Run," by Mr. Nathan Lowell, is an immature portrait of a future, "Nancy Drew-like," future Spacer, who on her graduation day from a space academy, immediately becomes embroiled in a suspect murder, and flees with her untrustworthy roomie.

The book abruptly starts with the heroine, at a post-graduation party, plopped into a murder as the intended assailant, a rushed departure into space, and a race away.
Mr. Lowell decided to start
Shane
Aug 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Three and a half stars. Maybe I am being a little harsh because I am such a HUGE fan of Nathan Lowell's other works. The pacing was steady through most of the book but became very rushed towards the end. I know Lowell did this is both Full Share and in Owner's Share but it seemed even more condensed in this book. I also wonder about the 'working the ship full time' aside which was just left hanging. Was this a hint at the future of this series, or was it a justification for the premise of In Ash ...more
Patrick
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
OK adventure

The story is OK but there are plot holes that are too big to ignore. The two main characters are chased out of "civilized" space in a setup and for no reason by a character (an instructor, I think) who is supposedly respected.

Then they get a job on a cargo ship, which only makes one three month long trip a year. Somewhere along the line the intelligence service recruits them but makes only one half assed contact. There has been wholesale theft of high value replacement parts for an i
Laz the Sailor
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, ya
Nathan Lowell has a very comfortable writing style. It is smooth but not bland. His plots are straight-forward, and you learn about the characters quite slowly, but in a rewarding fashion. The resolutions often involve a secondary character doing something off-screen, but nothing defies belief.

This is the first in a series that is a spin-off from his Quarter Share series. Our protagonist is a young woman with subtle talents, a strong drive to reach her goals, and a willingness to take some risks
Julie Davis
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
In a lot of ways Nathan Lowell's books hearken back to the Golden Age of science fiction when authors just wanted to tell a good yarn. I find another fascination in how he always manages to have some element of business always be a key plot element. In this one, it turns out to be the importance of good inventory stock. Twist! Betcha didn't see that coming! Granted it is in smugglers' space, on the run from murder charges, with a surly crew of misfits - and that's where the fun comes in.

This bo
Alec
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have very much enjoyed The Golden Age of the Solar Clipper since I listened to the first book. I have become quite attached to Ishmael and his journey. This book opened a new universe - though really an extended universe. If you have not read any of the Trader's Tales in advance of this book - go and read them. This book won't make sense without the background.

I enjoyed reading the latest book in the series, but I thought the ending was a bit abrupt. Lots of unanswered questions. Yes I know th
Steve Pritchard
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great start to a new series in the Solar Clipper Universe

While not my favorite of Dr. Lowell's Solar Clipper novels. This brings us a whole new look at the SC universe, but from the shadowier side known as Toe-Hold Space. And being a namesake of a character in the novel is icing on the cake! I'll leave it up to you to make what you will of him (no spoilers!).

If you've enjoyed ANY of the Golden Age stories, check this one out. It sounds like something big is afoot in the SC universe!
John S Roth
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great Story!

For those readers devoted to Nathan Lowell's "Tales From The Golden Age Of The Solar Clipper" series will be delighted with this spin-off. Mr. Lowell writes in a manner that each book stands wonderfully on its own merit, yet is also another building block to a much larger saga. I strongly recommend this book!
Jenn Grigoryev
Nov 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Logistics thriller

Warning - spoilers! I never thought that a space mystery about a messed up inventory of spare parts can be so captivating! I mean seriously, who doesn’t like detailed description of stocking practices, inventory audits and record keeping! It just tickles your imagination!
Josen
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
The setting and the action would be fine for some YA space adventure. But the Mary Sue protagonist(s) are annoying.

Why are female protagonists shoehorned into so many contemporary books? They act and behave in ways no real-life female ever would. It just detracts from a story/universe that might have had potential otherwise.
Jai Baidell
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great little story with many unanswered questions at the end. Can't wait for the sequel to find out more.
marz
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: space-opera
Good story, but didn't get attached to characters as quickly as I did with Quarter Share.
Noodle The Naughty Night Owl
8/10: Excellent read, well written, fell right into the fictional world created.

“We didn’t kill anybody.” He stopped in the passageway and looked back at her. “That’s a good habit to have. Try to keep it if you can."

This was surprisingly good. Of course, this spin-off to the Solar Clipper series deosn't feature Captain Ishmael Wang, who I have fallen for. And I thought because of that, I wouldn't be too invested in it.

But the ending of Ishmael's story, in the spin-off series Seeker's Tales, intr
Adriel Wiggins
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Although I am a huge fan of Nathan's Tanyth Fairport Series, I am even more ridiculously a fan of the Solar Clipper series. I was introduced to them via John Ward, the great collector of interesting people, who suggested the Quarter Share podcast to me. A couple years later, and not only have I thoroughly enjoyed devouring the entire series on a regular basis, but I've also roped my family into the fandom as well. I'm pretty sure my mother has listened to the first six books at least a score of ...more
Roy
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: space-opera
After reading the latest Ishmael Wong series from Lowell, I was interested in reading these spin off volumes that tie in the two main characters from the Smuggler's tales series at the end of the series.
As always, the story casts its usual interest in the ship and culture of the story with our protagonists having to ship on a smuggler ship to earn their keep and spend their time in the wilder and woolier toe-hold space. While mentioned earlier, these books emphasize the difference quite strongl
Jeff Powers
Mar 03, 2020 rated it liked it
An enjoyable space opera that was well written but struggled to really capture me and rise above the noise of the recent resurgence of this subgenre. It can be difficult to plot out a space opera story that doesn't rely on a galactic war, frontier politics, or other such tropes. But by skirting a lot of these tried and true narratives, it becomes easier to write a story that fails to capture the imagination and stand out as a unique story. Few new space operas have been able to do it. And for me ...more
Topher
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Set in the same universe as Ishmael Wang (the Share and the Seeker's Dilemma series), featuring a few of the same side characters. Unfortunately, it's been long enough that I feel like I should have recognized a few of the side characters (Inky, for one) but couldn't place them. A good story about two people, framed into doing something that one of them likely would have done without the framing. In fact, that's my only real dis-satisfaction with this book. At the end, there were plot reasons wh ...more
Thomas James
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great Tale

Good story. I only rated 4 stars because I have read better from Mr. Lowell. There was also lot of detail packed into a small space. For example: The spaceship went from a totally illegal smuggling operation to totally sanctioned spec-op, two main characters went from recent grads, to criminals, to officers . New sci/fi mechanics were explained in some detail, although I thought Mr. Lowell edited out of the final script a TON of ideas he has but just couldn't fit in. As long as you pai
Jim Kratzok
Loved it!!!

Nathan Lowell has never disappointed me with his stories. The characters are portrayed so well, so distinctly, and the setting so vividly that it's like watching a movie as I read.

This book starts a new series and I'm glad to have the first 3 books. While Nats is no Ishmael Wang, she has a lot going for her. Frankly, it was very rewarding to see her lay down a bit of whoop-ass on some of the crew who needed it most. I can't wait to read the next book in the series.
Gary Gray
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
I liked, Nathan Lowell’s series Traders Tales so I figured I’d like Smuggler’s Tales as well. The story was fine the huge problem I had is that we are supposed to believe 2 young girls just out of the Academy who end up on a smuggling run know more than anyone else. They figure everything out; they make things better they; they have all the ideas. They seem mature beyond their years. While I have no problem with YA fiction this is just to “Kids fix it all” for me. I won’t be finishing this serie ...more
Jason Kivela
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
After so many novels focused on the fleet, it is great to get more into the shadier side of the Solar Clipper universe. The beginning was startling and different than most of the other books and grabbed my attention right away. It has a great new group of characters and I'm seeing an over arching plot connected to the new Wong books. Ending seemed very abrupt, but that just means more of the deeper plots will carry on to the next books in this series, I'd expect.
Denzil Ernstzen
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written.

It is always nice to start a new book by an author you have not read before. I was enthralled, excite, angry with the bad guys(I think they call them protagonist) and confused at times trying to remember who is who in the story. However it was extremely enjoyable and now I have to mov on o the next book. I am not a writer. Hope you loved reading this book as much as I did!
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
This brings Natalya and her friend into the Golden Age of the Solar Clippers. Both on the run,, both with secrets and both facing danger there is a glimpse of the plot line facing Ish and friends. A nice way to eventually bring the two different groups together. A interesting mix of characters and a plot that has the tension needed for the story line. Read after you get to know Ish and friends to get the tie in. Book one of a trilogy.
Eileen
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
How did I miss this series? Just did a binge read of about 16 books by this author. Space opera with great character development. Now I just want more books. Never any confusion about who people are, as happens in some series. No stock people, everyone counts.

I just want more. I like this author like I like Amy Harmon. Ordinary people with caring and morals in a realistic difficult world.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Space Opera Fans : Feb 2018 INDIE Milk Run by Nathan Lowell 13 43 Apr 02, 2018 10:53PM

• Trans Galactic Insurance: Adventures of a Jump Space Accountant
  • Junkyard Pirate
  • Old Dogs, Older Tricks (Junkyard Pirate Book 2)
  • Orbital Claims Adjuster: Adventures of a Jump Space Accountant Book 2
  • From Mist and Steam
  • Out of the Tank (Privateer Tales, #7)
  • Buccaneers (Privateer Tales, #8)
  • Impact! (Ell Donsaii, #12)
  • Relics of Eternity (Shadow of Terra, #1)
  • Parley (Privateer Tales Book 3)
  • Fury of the Bold (Privateer Tales, #14)
  • Corsair Menace (Privateer Tales, #12)
  • Smuggler's Dilemma (Privateer Tales Book 5)
  • Give No Quarter (Privateer Tales #10)
  • The Thunder of Engines (A Stasis Story, #2)
  • Pursuit of the Bold (Privateer Tales, #13)
  • Judgment of the Bold (Privateer Tales, #15)
  • Blockade Runner (Privateer Tales, #11)
Nathan Lowell has been a writer for more than forty years, and first entered the literary world by podcasting his novels. His sci-fi series, The Golden Age of the Solar Clipper grew from his long time fascination with space opera and his own experiences shipboard in the United States Coast Guard. Unlike most works which focus on a larger-than-life hero (prophesized savior, charismatic captain, or ...more

Smuggler's Tales From The Golden Age Of The Solar Clipper (3 books)
  • Suicide Run (Smuggler's Tales From the Golden Age of the Solar Clipper #2)
  • Home Run (Smuggler's Tales From The Golden Age Of The Solar Clipper #3)