Start by marking “Multicultural Education in a Pluralistic Society” as Want to Read:
Multicultural Education in a Pluralistic Society

Multicultural Education in a Pluralistic Society

3.14  ·  Rating details ·  119 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Are you prepared to teach in today's diverse classroom? The eigthth edition of this well respected text now enables you to apply your understanding of multicultural education. Real classroom videos - on ethnicity and race, class and socioeconomic status, gender and sexual orientation, exceptionality, language, religion, geography, and age- will help you to relate to, under ...more
Paperback, Eighth Edition, 464 pages
Published February 22nd 2008 by Pearson (first published October 1982)

Katherine
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
The most blatantly biased textbook I have ever read. Period. But perhaps I should appreciate the fact that the authors make their biases very clear, rather than letting them masquerade as fact...(which all textbooks do, of course, some just more subtly than others).
Dani
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a textbook, so naturally the writing is a little dry, but it is highly informative and serves as an excellent introduction for educators. It covers topics such as ethnicity and race, class and socioeconomic status, gender, age, exceptionality, and sexual orientation, to name a few. The text seeks to prepare educators for teacher examinations and the variety of students and situations that will be encountered in the classroom.

Because this book stresses the importance of understanding mult
Vicky
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
I am not sure if this author is being deliberately biased or is just naive. To think that young, impressionable minds are getting this fed to them in introductory education classes in worrisome. If they believe what this book preaches, they will dome themselves to disillusionment and perhaps a short career in education.
Ronni
Dec 19, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: textbooks
By "read" I mean paid for and opened a few times. I did not enjoy the book and quit doing the required reading early in the course. Maybe I shouldn't even add it to my bookshelf, though it is certainly sitting on a bookshelf in my house IRL...
Rusti
2 copies available
Immanythings
This is a good book just need to read the current version for the relevancy of the material
Ellen
May 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this as a textbook for a Multicultural Education book or for any teacher or pre-service teacher who wants to learn about ME.
dara
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ncsu, read-in-2015
Not especially helpful. Maybe enlightening for someone who has never taken a sociology course, but otherwise, not really. I found the chapter on gender especially too narrow.
Rusti
Eric
Jul 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Ghetto Schooling: A Political Economy of Urban Educational Reform
  • Silent Covenants: Brown v. Board of Education and the Unfulfilled Hopes for Racial Reform
  • Adolescence
  • Total Participation Techniques: Making Every Student an Active Learner
  • Educational Psychology: Theory and Practice
  • First Year Teacher: Wit and Wisdom from Teachers Who'€™ve Been There
  • Do I Really Have to Teach Reading?: Content Comprehension, Grades 6-12
  • Educational Research: Competencies for Analysis and Applications
  • The Great American Bathroom Book
  • Differentiating Instruction in the Regular Classroom: How to Reach and Teach All Learners, Grades 3-12
  • Gardens: An Essay on the Human Condition
  • A Student's Guide To History
  • Concise Anglo-Saxon Dictionary
  • Classroom Strategies for Interactive Learning
  • Shadowlight (Loremasters of Elundium, #3)
  • Our Underachieving Colleges: A Candid Look at How Much Students Learn and Why They Should Be Learning More
  • Reading Reminders: Tools, Tips, and Techniques