Jump to ratings and reviews
RIVER IS THE SECOND NOVEL IN THE STRANGER IN THE WOODS TRILOGY

He wipes blood from his mouth with his bare arms. "I need you to hold still so I don't feel the need to chase and conquer. Do you understand?"
I feel his breath on my skin. "My chances if I run?"
"None."

I had wondered if I would be strong enough to love Ryder, my stranger from the woods. I learned that I was—still am. But now Ryder, Gunner and I have a young together, Rain, the Princess go the Guardian Warriors. And a very powerful being, King of the Shadow Clones, wants her dead. The only time I ever saw King was in the dream where forced a kiss on me, sending me into labor. Yes, I learned I was strong enough to love Ryder, but with a new stranger in the woods, will he be strong enough to love me?

Author, India R. Adams, blurs the lines between "good" and "evil, between "black" and "white", and shows us the beautiful spectrum on the gray tones. She will make you fall for those darker shades of gray, as well as the lighter ones. She shows us the importance of the balance, and of nature. She shows us the complexity of "human" nature and humans in general... and well elves too. She shows us that every action has immeasurable consequences, and that sometimes certain outcomes are unavoidable. The spiritual undertone in this book is beautiful. —Blogger, The Reading Cat
Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

India R. Adams

45 books1,248 followers
Souls on fire…

USA TODAY bestselling author India R Adams writes stories of souls on fire. Whether India’s characters are feeling the heat from hell or the wings of grace, they are all transforming and want to share their journey with you. Her novels range from Dark MC, Paranormal, to Contemporary, but each story is either a path of destruction or a road to redemption.

Sometimes both.

So, if you want to read about voyages of the heart, the grit to rise from one’s knees, or the strength to break free of the binds of a spirit, then pick one of India’s stories because she believes damaged souls are worth saving and that there is nothing more beautiful than a soul on fire.

One of the best ways to follow India and stay up to date with her latest work is her newsletter. As a thank you gift, she is presently offering Hostile Illusions with the signup!

NEWSLETTER : https://bit.ly/2IszVH7

WEBSITE : https://indiaradams.com/

MORE WAYS TO FOLLOW!

AMAZON : https://www.amazon.com/India-R-Adams/...

INDIA’S FLAMES : https://www.facebook.com/groups/17666...

BOOKBUB : https://www.bookbub.com/authors/india...

TIKTOK: http://www.tiktok.com/@indiaradams

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
4 (5%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 57 reviews
Profile Image for Carrie.
3,040 reviews1,502 followers
February 9, 2018
River by India R. Adams is the second book in the A Stranger in the Woods series. The series is a new adult fantasy infused with romance. In the first book of the series readers were introduced to the main character Rose who was about to turn twenty in a time in which there was a disease plaguing the adults.

Right before Rose’s birthday Ryder was sent to watch over Rose and protect her. Rose shouldn’t have been able to sense Ryder and his fellow warriors but she did and when the two met the sparks flew between them as their bond formed.

Rose and Ryder’s story has now picked up again in River right where it had left off at the end of the first book. Rose finds herself the only human among the elves and a new mother. Being part of a prophecy has left Rose in constant danger with Ryder and the warriors vowing to protect her and her child.

Being familiar with all of India’s books I knew what to expect going into this novel before even picking it up. She has always had a way with bringing her characters to life and giving a very vivid and detailed story. River is no exception to that at all picking up with the characters and continuing their story.

My only downside with this installment was it seemed to get off to a slower start than the previous. Still an otherwise great addition to this series and it will certainly be interesting to see if all can be resolved in the next book. I should warn though to new readers it’s definitely best to start at the beginning with this fantasy series. There was also a lover triangle involved to warn those that do not enjoy those although it was worked out fairly early on.

I received an advance copy from the author, many thanks to India R. Adams for allowing me to read early.

For more reviews please visit https://carriesbookreviews.wordpress....
Profile Image for Snow.
2,188 reviews632 followers
February 10, 2018
River , a second book in A Stranger in the Woods series, in just the name alone, gives us a hint and a glimpse of what will unravel as well as it gives us the continuation of the altered lives of Rose, Ryder and Gunner , their unconventional union and precious inner bond mutually interlinked and intertwined among each other and around their little bundle of life - Rain
The birth of the Prophecy

puts these characters and the rest of the members of the Traveler Elf village and their friends Vikes through immense trials of endurance, faith and love, as they all fight against obstacles set upon them, against evil King of Shadows that threats their prophecy, but most of all, Ryder and Gunner and Rose will be torn with inner-doubts, experiencing life through trials and errors, making the path for the future, while trying to protect the holy bond, life, love, breath each of them takes to live for one another. And yet, loss and grief are the greatest life lessons they'll take upon themselves, to learn that sacrifices are just a small part of the entangled turmoil of the life circle...and that all they have is each other to hold on to, to thrive, to exist...

Just like in every India R Adams' book I catch myself being stunned in amazement and simple awe of the vastness and brilliance of her imagination. And then some...
It's not just the simple fact that she has this gift of imaginative power, she also has the power to present it, describing it in such a poetically poised way, simply made for the genre of fantasy.

India excels in it, she makes us soar high along with her characters through out the magic world while providing us life lessons in simple facts of everyday life...things we tend to forget or take for granted...like breathing

Even though, this time I was kinda in a bind, I thought the pacing of the storytelling was perfect but it was somehow in disregard with the amount of the events, I found myself overwhelmed but not really grasping the full impact of them to begin with, thus making me a bit distracted and disembarked from the actual experience which I thoroughly missed. It was a mixture of my eagerness, pressure of time and abundance of the experiences throughout the story that made me want more but not really sure of what. :/

BUT in spite of that, I am truly and completely devoted to this author's vision and talent of delivering words, people and places in such a liberating, overpowering and beautifully insightful way, I feel honored and humbled every time, i realize the messages she's sending out.

***ARC generously given by the author in exchange for an honest review***
Profile Image for Dianne.
6,765 reviews579 followers
February 11, 2018
Rose once thought she was a mere human in a world of magic, elves and prophecies. Since the birth of her Rain, she will discover she is the strength that makes her warriors strong. As she and Ryder confirm their love for each other, Gunnar will make the ultimate sacrifice for his best friend, Rose.

As the King of the Shadow Clones plots to murder young Rain, Rose and Ryder will learn just how powerful evil can be and how far he will go to have his way. Will the foretold future be changed by the evil machinations of the dark king? Who can Rose trust when her world is twisted into an ugly parody of her dreams?

India R. Adams’ RIVER continues the rapid-paced, high tension series that comes to life with a cast of characters that not only have to deal with present time events, but the changes each action can make to a future that is imperative for the survival of good. The power of her writing is in the details and there are so many woven together into a tapestry of magical reading! Just when you think you “see’ what is going on and why, an entirely new pattern develops that is simply brilliant!

A journey through a story by India R. Adams is a journey to be remembered!

I received a complimentary ARC edition from India R. Adams!

Series: A Stranger in the Woods - Book 2
Publisher: India's Productions; 1 edition (February 9, 2018)
Publication Date: February 9, 2018
Genre: Fantasy
Print Length: 460 pages
Available from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
For Reviews & More: http://tometender.blogspot.com
Profile Image for Mimiorphee.
482 reviews22 followers
February 9, 2018
Once again, I'm blown away by India R Adams' writing skills. With a darker ambiance, River, book #2 in the A stranger in the woods series, will take you through a constant heartache and conflict.

Rose, Ryder, Gunner and their little Rain will face the worst challenges, fighting for the ones the love, trying to deal with (and bend) their destinies. To be a part of a prophecy and to realize that your fate is somehow sealed brought devastation and loss.

With new dynamics and greater responsabilities tensions increase but the faith in love, friendship and family always prevail, right?

I loved the mystery, the darkness and the revelations in that new opus. The characters' evolutions were very enticing, they grew and in spite of all the heavy threats and heart- breaking promises, I surprised myself by bursting out laughing thanks to Blaze and Gunner.

Well done dear author, and congratulation for that epic story!!!

I VOLUNTARILY REVIEWED AN ARC COPY OF THIS BOOK. THANK YOU!!!
Profile Image for Yesha- Books Teacup and Reviews.
621 reviews127 followers
April 17, 2018
*** Note: I received e-ARC from the author, in exchange for an honest review. Many thanks to author for giving me chance to read this book. ***

Life has turned into survival and deal game. Who will strike the final deal and who will suffer the consequences? Can love and trust provide the strength for the battle with the evil? It seems good always wins but surely with consequences to pay…

River started where the Rain ended (it sounds cool right?). It should be read in order. Book surrounds world of Elves and their prophecy that is linked to a human that can save them from the evil shadows. It is about love, family, friendship, unity, trust, heartbreak, and betrayal. A book about good vs evil and light vs dark, about learning past, surviving today and embracing what is to come.

Characters-
Ryder– This Warrior elf and husband of Rose was such a surprise package in the book. I thought I knew him when i read first book but I was wrong. There was so many new things, new characteristics to learn about Ryder. He was loving, possessive, caring and such kind and gentle soul. I could totally feel his jealousy and felt his fear for new sides of him he was learning.

Rose– She was over reactive human mother of Rain, mother of prophesy. It was hard for her to face reality to digest that even her own child is not human and like Ryder I also felt that she was feeling alone among extraordinary people but at the same time this irritated me. Shouldn’t she know better and what with hard to accept Ryder’s all sides and little flicker in trust! But looking at the time span of the all that happened to her, I just love her for sticking with her love and developing and growing with Ryder’s love.

Gunner– Never thought I would say that I missed this guy. I always hated third person in relationship but Oh I Love HIM! There is no guy who is so loving and understanding in this world. He was funny, entertaining, and I’m glad he met Kara.

Rain– If nothing. I mean any character plot can win your heart, I bet this magical child will win it. She was so cute, lovely, wise, and amazing. The more I learned about her the more I loved her.

All the characters in the book were likable except King. This villain was so manipulating that I couldn’t guess his next step in the book. Characters were developed and still they were growing. They learned lot throughout this book and I liked the changes in them.

“I’m learning that learning is part of experience. Making mistakes is art of the lessons, part of growth.”

What I liked-
The writing was smooth, plot was intriguing and it was emotional roller coaster. India writes the book with so much feelings that it feels like I’m living with characters, they feel so real, their emotions touched my heart. It felt like all was written from author’s heart and soul. She kept all little details in mind while writing the characters and plot, nothing seemed out of place, it was so perfect that I don’t have words to justify my feelings for this book.

River was narrated in alternative perspective of main characters, Ryder and Rose. The world was great. The life style of elf living in forest blending with nature, their ethics and nature was amazing. New and very unexpected thing about the world was different dimensions. All vivid details of two worlds, smooth transition between them and all the elf things, illumination, bonding, linking were beautifully narrated. There was also glossary in the beginning of the book to define the elf words.

The father -daughter and mother-daughter relationships was adorable. I even loved the sexy romance. It never felt dirty or made me skim the pages. There was unusual love triangle too. Even though you don’t like love triangle and find it another book trope or cliched, I suggest read this series, I’m sure you will love to read it.

Prophecy and twist and turns are the best words that describe this book. I love books in which there is prophecies, it make the plot a complex puzzle. It made book so unpredictable and uncertain that till the end it kept surprising me. There were so many mysteries related to prophecy, Ryder, and the past that entwined with today. It was utterly mind-blowing!

Climax– was literally jaw-dropping, I just couldn’t see it coming. Action of characters both protagonist and antagonist just surprised me and I felt anything can happen at this point. End– I was reading with hand over my mouth, nails between teeth. It was so tensed and gripping that it frustrated me when it ended with cliffhanger. If author had combined third book in this one and have written more than700 pages, I would have devoured it without looking at its size.

Overall, it was gripping, fast paced, magical elfish romance with loads of twist and turns. If you haven’t read any books by this author, this series is best to start with. I highly recommend this book to paranormal romance lovers.
Profile Image for Keep Calm Novel On.
467 reviews62 followers
February 4, 2018
The Goodreads author provided a copy of the ePub in exchange for an honest review.

River is the sequel to India R. Adam’s Rain. Rose’s often dangerous journey continues with a most unlikely group of characters. River picks up where Rain left the reader wanting more. The transition between books is seamless. As a sequel, this page-turner does not disappoint.

The meticulously layered plot moves quickly. Adam’s attention to detail is thorough. The author keeps the reader in anticipation of what is next. The twists and turns continually expose new obstacles for Rose, Gunner and Ryder.

Once again, their journey is far from over. Looking forward to India R. Adam’s next instalment in the A Stranger in the Woods series.
February 17, 2018
This is the second installment of a paranormal romance series, of which I've read the first and greatly enjoyed. This intense story is filled with wonderful characters and relationships. I like how this author portrays true and honest emotions with a familial bond between the characters. Their selflessness toward each other is touching. This story is filled with wonder, joy, heartache and loss It is continued in a third installment and I know what I'm hoping to read. ; D
Profile Image for Candy.
403 reviews33 followers
February 7, 2018
Ryder & Rose's journey continues in this fantasy romance about the forces of good & evil. We are shown the joy & beauty in good as well as the dark & ugly in evil. Together with their family of Guardian Warriors they fight & learn that they are better with the bonds they each share with those around them. Everything is done to protect The Prophecy so the evil that threatens them can be erased. This romantic fantasy is also an adventure into finding that embracing your inner strength through the ones you love will give you everything you need. It is a beautifully written story that can be read by all.

I voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Readers Copy of this book.
Profile Image for Anna.
666 reviews
January 31, 2018
***I voluntarily reviewed this book for the author. All opinions are my own.***

I thought long and hard all night how I felt about this book. On some levels I am so stressed and angry about what happened right at the end of the book, and then on other levels I am in LOVE with what transpired, especially throughout the first section of this book. I LOVED Ryder, Gunner and Rose's relationship with Rain. I loved their dynamic. I was hesitant with the addition of Kara at first, but soon came to love her as well. Rose and Ryder's chemistry was giving me total #relationshipgoals.....then the King came in and ruined everything, like literally everything for me.

I still love this series and can't wait to read Mist, however, I am so much anxiety that this won't end well, I am not sure if I will make it through the book. My main issues and what causes so much anxiety was definitely at the end, what they made Kara do (what about Rose & Ryder!!!) and the obvious case of Gunner. I am trying to put some faith in India Adams storytelling but I have this feeling, I might get irrational through Mist, if things aren't going the way I hope, lol. It will be trying.

Thanks India for allowing me to read this series. It have definitely consumed my life for the past two days and I am in a slight book slump because of reading River.

4.5 stars :)
Profile Image for Paula Brown.
90 reviews23 followers
description

This writer has left me in tears --- my favorites are frozen in various states of unfinished business.
This story has broken promises , pain,deals, retribution, and hell mixed in with love, family,
and loyalities....I want the story to continue --- it will I hope... My heros will be back I hope.
I look forward to reading more from this writer -- shes awesome...
Profile Image for Cat Imb || The Reading Cat ||.
416 reviews35 followers
February 9, 2018
I received a ARC copy of this book from the author and I voluntarily reviewed it. Thank you India R Adams.

What I love about Adams books, is that although they are bricks, every single page holds a truth we must know; has a purpose; a reason to be present. So much happens from the very first page you read to the last one. The whole story evolves, like a caterpillar turning into a butterfly.

One of Adams' many strengths is that she is able to trick you so effortlessly into believing something that turns out to be counter-proven in the end. You don't even see it coming, because that "fact" was so deeply rooted in you, and the whole story, so you believed, stemmed from it. As you know, I'm typically good at predicting what will happen, which is no fun, but the fact that Adams can break from the clichés is just so refreshing.

My favourite aspect of this book is Adams blurring the lines between "good" and "evil", between 'black" and "white", and shows us the beautiful spectrum on gray tones. She will make you fall for those darker shades of gray, and well as the lighter ones. She shows us the importance of balance, and of nature. She shows us the complexity of human nature, and humans in general... and well elves too. She shows us that every action has immeasurable consequences, and that sometimes certain outcomes are unavoidable.

The spiritual undertone of this book is beautiful. I could not help feeling blissful as I was reading the novel. The underlying spirituality brings with it and incontestable lightness; hope. Something so undeniably India R. Adams.
Profile Image for J. Kahele.
Author 13 books439 followers
May 6, 2018
Fantasy at its best

I am not much of a fantasy reader. It takes a very special author to open my mind enough to read a book like this.
Rose returns in this second installment, along with her bestfriend Gunner and love Ryder. The blood of Ryder and the comfort of Gunner, Rose gives birth to baby Rain. Rain is deemed as a prophecy and is protected by the Ryder and the Elves.
The story is very light at first and my thoughts were that this was a normal cute fantasy read with elves, vikings and everyone seemed calm and happy. But with India Adams nothing is ever what it seems.
The story takes twists and turns. The characters began to darken the plot thicken and I was thrown into a twist of emotions. As what seemed like heaven turned into a raging hell. This book will grab at you. It will hurt, shock and at times it will anger you. But it is a book that you will walk away forever remembering.
Profile Image for DebbieReadsBooks.
2,348 reviews38 followers
February 9, 2018
Independent reviewer for Archaeolibrarian, I was gifted my copy of this book direct from the author.

This is book 2 in the Stranger in The Woods series, and you really MUST read Rain, book one first. I really enjoyed that one.

This one?? Not so much. Mostly because this book is LONG!!!

Rose had her baby, Rain right at the end of book one. This one is about the run up to River's birth. Ryder is River's father.

It is again written first person, present tense, multi point of view, mostly Rose and Ryder, with some Gunner and a few other, less savoury characters, but it is right that they have a say. And it bothered me more here, than in Rain, the present tense thing, and I've no idea WHY!

There is a huge chunk of the book that was kinda...trippy....for want of a better word. When Rose and Rain are kidnapped by King and are dwelling in another plane, I got lost. There are two or three names for the same body that is inhabited by King. Sometimes his speech is in italics, and sometimes not. I'm still not entirely sure about the past life thing between King and Rose!

There is, I think, a MUCH bigger picture that still isn't clear for these characters, and sometimes that's a good thing but here?? I'm thinking not so much. I have no idea, not a single clue, where this story is going, and I felt that right down to my bones as I was reading. I began to skim far far more than usual, and that is never a good thing.

I did, however, read this book in one single sitting, and it ain't no novella, let me tell ya! Not sure how many pages it is, but it took me 5 hours! So it kept me mostly engaged, except the trippy bit which was confusing to say the least!

So, because I read it in one go, because everyone who needed to has a say, and because I really do need to know where this is going...

4 stars

**same worded review will appear elsewhere**
Profile Image for Cecily Wolfe.
Author 14 books492 followers
March 13, 2018
This intense and emotional continuation of the A Stranger in the Woods saga is so well-written it is easy to fall under the author's spell. Everything she writes is full of hope in the midst of trauma, and is inspiring, which sets her stories apart from others that may focus on the fantasy elements alone. Very complex, detailed, and engaging - I love these characters and where Adams is taking them. A great fit for older teens as well as adults, and especially readers who long for something hopeful to inspire them.
Profile Image for The Book Junkie Reads . . ..
4,813 reviews139 followers
February 10, 2018
The Book Junkie Reads . . . Review of . . . RIVER (A Stranger in the Woods, #2) . . . The complexities of elves and humans as well as the rest of the other world comes out in a deeper force with this second installment in A Stranger in the Woods series. I fell in love with Rose, Gunner, Ryder, and even Storm in book one. I followed as the ups and downs of it all came out to make me feel deeper vested in their relationships. I followed even further as things became a nightmare for Rose and a game to be played for others. The intensity still there. The allure of the other has increased. I found that I still had an emotional ride. We find that we pick right up at the end of book one, Rain, of this series. I highly suggest that you read book one. It will intensify your connection to the characters, the plotline, the mission, the prophecy.

It had been a while since I had read book one, so of course being who I am, I went back and read it again. This time I did not use the author gifted copy. I went and got my own copy and have highlight so much, beside the point. I think that I loved it even more the second time around. I found things in it that I could not remember from the first time. This made me very happy that I went back to re-read it. I started book two, River, with so much expectation and excitement. I was not disappointed. I have a better view of the characters that captured my heart with one small addition, Rain. Hope and excited built within me as I read the prologue. This makes me hope for something I dare not mention aloud.

The writing is fantastic, the world building appealing, the characters rich and inviting, the intrigue and suspense gripping, the pacing well set and complementary of the flow of the story. I found that this was more than just imagination inducing, it’s a sensory experience. I ran a gambit of emotions while reading and digest it all. There was an element of extra depth added to this from the first read, but it was that extra element that took it over to a new level of reading experience. I am looking forward to the next installment to be just as captivating and intense.

I may have received my initial look at River via author free read. I purchased it because it was an excellent follow up to Rain.

Before this series, I had not had the opportunity to get familiar with India’s work. I am so happy that I have. I have come to love a new series and a new author.

A Stranger in the Woods series:
Rain – A Stranger in the Woods, #1
River – A Stranger in the Woods, #2
Mist – A Stranger in the Woods, #3 Coming
Profile Image for Lindsay Crook.
952 reviews32 followers
March 19, 2018
India's words are just as magic as her characters..I absolutely adored this book 2 of the stranger in the woods series..Every page is a fantasy get away and I highly recommend this series to anyone who what's to get lost for a while in a fantastic story and beautiful words.
Profile Image for Adrienne Carrieri.
153 reviews6 followers
February 11, 2018
Speechless... Yet again you have left me speechless... This is such a DRAMATIC emotional roller coaster.. My love for Rose, Tain, Ryder and Gunner along with the entire elven/vike race has deepened and taken root. The depth of raw emotion on these pages is breathtaking.. India I am at awe for these beautiful creatures and all they endure.. Rose makes me proud to be apart of the female human race. Her strength, courage and endurance is magnificent! And just when you think she can’t take anything more, BAM! She’s hit by another obstacle! Ryder’s love and dedication to his family is also magnificent. And the fact that he will go to the ends of the earth and endure anything thrown at him for his females makes my heart swell with such joy and envy and slight jealousy. The lengths he will go see them happy is superb! And Gunner... absolutely speechless... happy.. overjoyed.. shocked... heartbroken.. worried.. And again with the cliffhanger... I am anxious and excited for Mist!! Keep them coming lol!!!
Profile Image for DMCechak.
1,113 reviews15 followers
February 2, 2018
A 10 STAR Book❣️❣️❣️

I have no idea how India was able to create this novel. My heart is pounding in my chest from the emotional waves that she created.

The continuing tale, which started in Rain, about sacrifice, from so many characters, both good and evil. The turmoil that is created when love, the deepest, most penetrating kind, causes friends, lovers, family, and enemies to fight to be together.

This is one of the most captivating and beautiful love stories I have ever, ever read.

I will be perfectly honest, I had to put this book down several times, because my heart was breaking for some of the lives India shared with us. It physically hurt my heart to continue to read, but, after a breather, I was able to regroup and continue on.

I was never disappointed! This was the second book in her series, with Rain, as the beautiful introduction story. River is fabulous in all ways, and like too few of the books I have read, I do not believe I will EVER forget.

Bravo, India! I desperately need to continue to follow Rose, Ryder, Gunner and all of your other fantastical character in MIST!
Profile Image for Jess.
37 reviews2 followers
January 29, 2018
And India does it AGAIN. From the moment I opened this book to the moment I closed it, I was captivated.
I literally could not put this book down. I found myself doing stuff like washing dishes and cooking with the book still in my hands. That was quite difficult.
I don’t know whether I want to laugh or cry right now. This book was that amazing. I am left with a deep appreciation for this book and for the author. India has blown me away. If you have read this book you know what I’m talking about if you haven’t GO READ THIS BOOK!!! Now it’s time for me to go twiddle my thumbs as I contemplate how to go on with my life while I’m patiently waiting for book 3.
Profile Image for Vicki.
1,572 reviews
January 31, 2018
Just so wonderful. A wild ride. So Emotional. I loved this book. I just can't stop reading when I start.
You do have to read "Rain" before you read this one to know what's going on but even then there are so many twists and turns you will be dizzy. Like all of India's books she takes your emotions on a ride you will never forget. Sometimes to painful places. Can't wait till "Mist" is here.

This was an ARC
Profile Image for Rosie Amber.
Author 0 books114 followers
February 4, 2018
Four point five stars.

River is book #2 of The Stranger In The Woods series of magical realism tales. Set in woodlands of North Carolina, book #1 introduced us to Guardian Warrior Elves, entrusted to guard humans against evil and bring balance to the universe.

In a complex love triangle, two elves fell in love with Rose, a human, who became pregnant. She could not choose between her half-blood best friend and her soulmate, but the child she carried was surrounded by a prophecy, and blood demons wanted to kidnap her for their leader.

In book #2 baby Rain has been born. Rose and her baby are now part of the Elven community and live with them deep in the woods. Guards are assigned to protect both Rose and the baby, but will it ever be enough against the evil of the one called King? This powerful entity of the underworld is able to manipulate time and slip beings into alternate universes. No one knows the lengths he will go to, to have Rose by his side.

This is an emotion filled book. Adams knows how to write characters that grasp you and tie you to their story. It is written in alternating chapters from points of view of Rose and Ryder. There are multiple layers of themes within the story: the Elvish ways, spirituality, the good versus evil and sexual relationships. But they are written in such a way that they also reflect deep human needs, emotions and teachings that have got lost into today’s speeding world of consumerism. However, the book isn’t slowed down by the emotional depth, or lost on a spiritual path. Adams uses plenty of light-hearted banter to lift the mood and show us the camaraderie of the Elves.

A good second book to a series, but I would recommend reading book #1 (Rain) first to get the most from this fantasy series.
Profile Image for Jerica.
8 reviews3 followers
January 12, 2018
And she does it again! she never fails to paint the picture in your head when reading her books and has a surprise around every corner, always keeping you on edge giving you the feeling of NEEDING to read more to find out what happens next. absolutely in love with every book she has written!!

Note: I received book from the author, in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Anna (Adventures with a Book Nerd).
186 reviews59 followers
February 9, 2018
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I have a confession. I was actually really scared going into this one. I'm not even sure exactly why; maybe it was just the fear I have when starting almost every book that is second in a series. Will it compare to the first book? Will the characters stay true to who they are? Will the book just overall be sloppier? These are all thoughts I face every time I pick up the second book in a series, and these were still the thoughts I faced when I picked up this one (which was written by one of my favorite authors, keep in mind). So, were my worries well deserved? Did River succumb to the "second book syndrome?" I'm happy to report that it did not.

It took me a while to articulate what I wanted to talk about in my review because, not many people know this, but I actually start writing my reviews in my head as I'm reading. From the very first word I'm planning, thinking, ranting, articulating what I want to say-what I want to describe- about a book. Now, being honest, I wrote at least three different reviews as I read this one. I though I had a good one, then Adams would throw something into the story and I would have to start all over. So, Adams, I applaud you for your magnificent story telling. There were so many twists and turns that at the end of the book I (I'm not exaggerating) threw my kindle onto the bed, muttered "no author should be this brilliant" and proceeded to fall off my bed head first. What? It was a really good twist! So, the adventurer part of my brain loved this one, the reviewer part did not, lol.

Adams's writing has always been a sort of comfort for me. Maybe it is because I read my first book by her, Serenity, at a time that I really needed it. But the best simile that I can come up with is that reading Adams's work is like reading out of a story book when you were little. All of the images pop into your head. The feeling of awe, of wonder, of safety, all encompassed into the pages of a book. It's a pretty amazing experience, and Adams's writing will always have to be one of my favorite parts of her books.

But, the reality is, I didn't give this five stars. Why, Anna? Why? Well, there are two main reasons. The first being that I thought that the beginning of the book was a little too slow for me personally. I understand you have to reintroduce concepts and all the fantasy vocabulary, but it just felt, slow to me. Maybe it's because I had already actually read the beginning part, maybe it's just me.

I think that the saddest part of this one for me though was the character development. Don't get me wrong, there was character development, it's how certain characters developed throughout this book that disappointed me. I found that certain characters were making decisions that really disappointed me. I ended up losing my trust in characters that I loved in book one, which, really saddened me. My disappointment ended up sort of changing how I viewed the rest of the book, which was disappointing.

While I ended up losing my connection to certain characters, I ended up really liking others. I found it odd that my favorite character of the book was King, but I knew that I was lost as soon as he started talking about the mix of good and bad.

"W-Why are you so cruel?'
'Am I? Or am I simply the balance so beautiful wonderful bliss can exist?'"

Is it fate that King was talking about the exact subject I was debating myself about just that morning? Nope. But that odd little coincidence did make me immediately like King. I mean, how could I not? He was one of the smartest, well thought out villains I have ever had the pleasure of reading. He wasn't good, and he wasn't bad. I loved how Adams was able to show these amazing life lessons, through this flawed character that was more human to me through his actions than almost any other character in the book. He was a messed up creature, but at the end of the day he only longed for what we all want, to feel loved. Only a perfect blend of good and evil could create such a villain, and I'm grateful that I got to see his true colors shine through in this story.

So overall this was a wonderful continuation to the A Stranger in the Woods series. Adams was able to keep her charming voice while continuing the story line to where it needed to go. While I was a little disappointing in some characters (one in particular actually), and it started off a tad bit slow, this story was filled to the brim with twists and revelations. I'm extremely interested and eager to see where Adams propels the story next.

Blog / Instagram / Twitter / Goodreads / Bloglovin'
Profile Image for Amy Shelton.
427 reviews10 followers
Independent reviewer for Archaeolibraian – I Dig Good Books

Well, what can I say, another excellent book. It’s a riveting story line that will keep you guessing until the last word, and you’ll still be kind of scratching your head, waiting for book three to come. It’s absolutely wonderful.

There is so much so say about this book and I can promise I won’t get it all in, in one review, so bare with me. I don’t think one review can really give this story credit for everything that is going on. It’s intense. It’s raw. It’s absolutely soul shattering. It’s heavy and dark and feels so real. It’s intense and powerful. It’s hilarious and full of love. It’s really just a ball full of every emotion you can imagine rolling around starting with the first page and continues rolling throwing emotions as you read.

I’ve never read a story by this author that has ever been lacking details or descriptions. This story is no different, however, I feel like they are magnified by a million. They were so great in this story that I really felt like I was watching a movie as I was reading. There wasn’t ever a time when I couldn’t visualize exactly what was going on. The details and descriptions made scenes more intense and the “feels” even deeper.

There is a LOT going on in this book. It’s told between Ryder and Rose’s point of view. It of course includes all the character’s we came to love from book 1, and a few new characters as well. There were times I would be confused which character’s pov it was for a particular chapter and it caused me to have to pause, re-read, and then continue on. I’m telling you this because I would suggest to read this story when you can read it in one or two settings. Due to life, I had to split up the story between mornings and nights and feel like the details and storyline would have been even better had I been able to read it in fewer settings, thus not breaking it up so much. I think I would allow your mind to immerse itself in all the lovely details and descriptions you are offered in this story. I don’t think it has anything to do with the author, more of a mind thing remember all the little details that really make this story great!

These characters are the type of characters that you want to be friends with. You want them in your corner and want them to have your back. They will make you laugh, I promise, and they will make you cry, I promise you this too. There are lives lost that have to be mourned and there are some intense scenes that are hard to read. There are other scenes where emotions are so heavy you just can’t escape. You’ll remember these characters long after you read the last page.

This is just another phenomenal story by the lovely India. I would definitely recommend to read this story, read book one first, then be prepared to have book two handy. This one is much deeper than book one and is a bit darker. The love you read is a deeper kind of love and one that makes you feel good. It’s a heavy story at times but is followed up by sunshine and rainbows. You’ll have a few belly laughs, you’ll smile to yourself, and you might tear up a time or two. This story really is just one that is perfect.

*A Copy of this book was provided to me with no requirements for a review. I voluntarily read this book and my comments here are my honest opinion.
Profile Image for Courtney Giraldo.
158 reviews1 follower
February 1, 2018
This book was provided to me for free in exchange for an honest review.

River (Book 2 of the Stranger in the Woods series) picks right up where book one left off. Rose has given birth to the Prophecy Rain, and the little family is settling into life within their elven village. Rose and Rain are under heavy guard due to the threats and attempts on her life by the evil King of the Shadow Clones. When Rose and Rain are kidnapped by The King and taken into hell, Ryder, Gunner, and the entire band of Warrior Elves search relentlessly and fight ruthlessly for their return. While on the journey to rescuing his females, Ryder is confronted with troubling information about his lineage. In this battle of life and death, good versus evil, the past will come to haunt the present, and no one is safe from The King.

Man oh man.... I have been waiting ages (it seems like ages but was probably more like months ha!) for this book to come out. I just could not get enough of Rose, Ryder, and the whole elf way of life when I read Rain and book two definitely sustained my ever growing craving. The whole elf society and structure is so beautifully crafted; it emanates goodness and loyalty, and damn if I don't want an elf male for my own (sorry again husband) even more! Besides the beautifully, ever growing relationship between Rose and Ryder (which, kill me now, they are fantastic and lovable and oh so steamy together), I enjoyed watching Gunner fall in love and find that special female of his own. They way the two couples were able to blend into this awesome unit together (not in a freaky way, relax people) was very fitting. There was SO. MUCH. ACTION. in this book. I recommend keeping a Xanax handy because you're certainly gonna need it. It was one heart stopping rollarcoaster of danger after another, and just when I was able to calm myself, thinking "Oh great! Danger is over- everyone's safe - everyone can live happily ever after- whew", Adams jarred me real quick back into the danger zone. And can I just say that ending was such a shocker! Was not expecting that one AT. ALL. It was definitely a cliffhanger (damn you India!) so I guess I will just have to patiently wait (HA! yea right) for the third installment, Mist, to continue on with my characters story.
Profile Image for Paulette.
575 reviews13 followers
January 30, 2018

Wow just wow. India has done it again. If you read the first book Rain, you need to read River. It takes you on an incredible journey of love, spirituality, human kindness, self discovery and learning life lessons. This story provides, major intrigue, plenty of angst, comedy, love, emotional bonding, feels( but done in a beautiful way, never sleazy). I became invested in this story. I feel like I’m a part of their story. I’m still trying to figure out how to say everything I want to say without spoiling anything. While reading this story I had a roller coaster of emotions. We realize that things aren’t always as they appear. Be prepared to put this book down a few time just to take stock of what you’re reading and gather your thoughts and emotions. This is not a preachy book but there are certainly life lessons to be learned, if you take the time to really think about them. This story is definitely darker and more in-depth than Rain. It will cut you to the quick and then you will rebound. In my last review of Rain I compared this to an organic Avatar mixed with Lord of the Rings. Well this is still that, but amped way up!
One of the things I love about this book is the banter between Gunner, Ryder and Rose. You will laugh out loud and smile all along the way. In fact while reading I took notes and I came up with 27 things I love about this book, and could come up with so many more. One of the things we learn is that words have power and energy. We should be mindful of what we say and how we say them. There is a law of attraction in the universe that never turns off. You reap as you sow and that is in everything. That being said, you also learn from your mistakes which is sometimes a much more valuable experience. Sometimes we need to let go and be quiet and listen to the earth. We are all apart of this beautiful universe and have a duty to respect it. When we leave this earth we will be a part of it that will help replenish it, we are always recycling. We will be recycled. Think about that. I want to talk about this book so much but I don’t want to give it away. As I previously wrote there are a minimum of least 27 things I love about this book. However, there is one thing I hate...I hate that the next book, Mist, is not yet out for me to read. I feel the universe is teaching me patience. I guess I’m still learning
Profile Image for Christina Miles.
79 reviews
February 14, 2018
River, the 2nd novel in the series A Stranger In The Woods, will knock your socks off. This book continues from the first book, Rain, with no gaps in time from when the 1st ends and the 2nd book begins.
River was amazing. I thought I was hooked by Rose, Ryder, Gunner and the others in the 1st book. I was wrong. River takes you to depths you don't realize you can feel, feeling emotions for characters who aren't in real life. This book gutted me. I swear I felt every pain and heartbreak or happiness and elated feeling that thnese characters felt when I was reading this book. By the end, I was so into it, already crying, I cried harder when I realized it was over, for now.
The next book cannot come fast enough!!
Profile Image for Alexa Whitewolf.
Author 34 books104 followers
February 3, 2018
Yeah...so I deff finished this in one day. Or, more to the point, one night. It’s THAT kind of a book, that you won’t want to put down once you get started.

If you thought Rain’s birth would mean all is good and lovely, sorry to spoil it, but it’s only the beginning of another adventure. A struggle for survival as Rose tries to protect her baby and her men at the same time.

I am once more amazed at how easily India writes the whole triangle of Rose, Gunner and Ryder. But it works so well!!!

I was at once heartbroken and elated while reading this book. The action is on-point, the romance will make you swoon, but the struggles... Aye the struggles.... will break your heart.

Looking forward to Mist!

*ARC kindly provided by author*
Profile Image for Sherry Koch.
479 reviews15 followers
February 9, 2018
"They understand the beauty in the small things that add up to be grand things - like love" wow, where do I start with this one? This book was a little of a love/hate relationship. I love the characters, and the story definitely keeps you on your toes... twist on a twist on a twist. Every time I thought my favorite characters where finally getting to something of a happy end the plot twisted. The uncertainty of Gunner's fate drives me a little nuts, because of his selfless love for the women and his guardian brothers he is my favorite, and I was kind of hoping for a little resolution by the time the book ended. The fact that the characters seem to have so little agency and are controlled by a destiny, that is not just for their well being, is a concept I really struggled with. Even though I sometimes felt like throwing the book in the corner, it was worth the read! Now, I will be waiting to see what happens in the next book. I received an ARC and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 57 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.