Start by marking “Pen on Fire: A Busy Woman's Guide to Igniting the Writer Within” as Want to Read:
Pen on Fire: A Busy Woman's Guide to Igniting the Writer Within

Pen on Fire: A Busy Woman's Guide to Igniting the Writer Within

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  520 ratings  ·  61 reviews
In her fifteen years of teaching, Barbara DeMarco-Barrett has found that the biggest stumbling block for aspiring writers (especially women) is not fear of the blank page but frustration with the lack of time. What woman doesn't have too much to do and too little time? Finding an hour free of work, children, or obligations can seem impossible.

But anyone can find fifteen
Published October 4th 2004 by Mariner Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Pen on Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pen on Fire

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Pen on Fire: A Busy Woman's Guide to Igniting the Writer Within
♥ Ibrahim ♥
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I adore this book! I already feel powered up. I am even surprised that the author chose to say that the book is directed towards women "a busy woman's guide to igniting the writer within". Well, I am a a man I am eating up every word of it. I love especially what she had to say in the introduction about working in fifteen-minute segments instead of saying "I will write a page per day" or such the like. We simply need to get started and do a little bit here and and a little bit ...more
Lisa Montanaro
Great book all about how to find time to write, how to find content to write about, and how to live the life of a writer, etc. I love how accessible the material was, and comprehensive. Some may say that the book is too basic, but I loved how the author covered everything. It was organized into different sections which made it very easy to follow. It took me months to read because I did all of the exercises as I went along. It includes so many wonderful writing prompts that I may incorporate ...more
Ciara
Nov 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
i wasn't crazy about the title of this book, because it seemed kind of narrow & gimmicky. this impression was strengthened by the cover design, which riffs on "chick lit" & seems geared for a demographic that i prefer not to include myself in. but i gave the book a shot anyway, & i'm glad i did because i really liked it! i have a weakness for books about writing (read about other people's writing processes, tricks, tips, ideas, & exercises always helps me feel creative & ...more
Matthew
Dec 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who struggles with finding time to write
When you read through this book and get to the end of every section you will want to write someting down about that chapter and the memory that it stirred up....You have to pace yourself through this book and keep a journal with you as writing ideas will pop up....wonderful read...going through it again....
Sam
Oct 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
On first read through, found that it is a good read for men also; good insight and great tips for getting started in writing as a hobby or career.
Kelly
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The good read "I'm finished" button doesn't really do it for me, because this classic is constantly by my bedside and on my desk, waiting to inspire, instruct and encourage me every time I open it. I first read it as a less-experienced writing loner. Now I am part of a regular writing group and have way more confidence. Still, I find that this volume is as essential as my reading glasses are. It goes from bedside, to car, to purse to beach bag, a consistent companion on the writing journey with ...more
Melissa
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! It has so much practical advice for writers, regardless if you are a woman or not. This book has been essential for me in starting my writing journey.
Wendi Lau
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Think about what you wish for and imagine how youd like your life to be in six months, a year, five years from nowNow set your timer for fifteen minutes and write down your ideal scenarioIf you cant see yourself as a writer, how will you ever find your way there? Loved this Set Your Timer exercise early on in the book.

Throughout the book, Barbara DeMarco-Barrett urges writers to set aside tiny blocks of time to devote to their passion. Despite all our responsibilities, we can eke out just 15
Djrmel
Sep 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, writing
Every writer occasionally needs someone to give them the reality check that the only way to get something written is to actually do some writing. DeMarco-Barrett's book is that along with a bunch of helpful ideas on where to find the time to write, how you might want to organize that time as well as your thoughts, and how not to feel quite so guilty about taking the time. I think the "busy woman's portion of the title might be a bit out dated, though, because I know lots of men who are just as ...more
Amy Kahle
Nov 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I can relate to so much of this book it's ridiculous. I am always amazed at how women who are so much busier than I am can find time to write. If they can do it, I can certainly do it too! I read through this book the first time and didn't do the exercises that are at the end of each chapter, but I am now re-reading it and doing each of the exercises as I go. This book is so motivating!
Cyn
Aug 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
What a *great* book - highly motivational, crisply written, just so well done overall. It's written specifically for women, but I highly recommend this to anyone who's either interested in writing or already a writer themselves. Wonderful read.
Amanda
Aug 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing-books
Short chapters, inspiring advice...will easily become a pillar in all my writing endeavors!
LS Schulz
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing, non-fiction
This was my second time through "Pen on Fire". The first time I just read it to see what I thought of the advice inside. I enjoyed it enough during my first read through to realize that I'd actually like to try my pen at completing the writing exercises within. That is what I did this time. While I doubt it would take a person this long to finish the book if they worked on an exercise a day, it took me this long because, sadly, I did not always complete an exercise daily. I am happy, however, to ...more
Chandrashekar BC
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book. There are tons of books on how to write, but this rare books guides you how to find time to write in your busy life. For the famous question "How to write?" the answers can fill an ocean. There can't be a single books, which can effectively guides you on all aspects of writing. All though this book covers all aspects of writing (ex: creative thinking, Crafting, plot, scene, dialogs, POV, marketing etc..) the main objective is to help you to find time to wirte. To help you to stop ...more
Tanja
Jul 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
I don't know what I expected with this book but I only made it to page 27 before I got to the point where I just can't go on. There are some writing "exercises" that sound interesting but I'm not one of those people who always have a pen and a scrap of paper with them at all times. And with my current job at a busy doctor's office I'm so tired after work that it's much easier to sit down with a good novel and read a few pages before I drift off to sleep at the end of the day.
Boomers Gems
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good Stuff!
Meg Wheeler
Jun 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I was so pumped to read this book. Upon first glance, this was going to be THE book. I loved the title - "Pen on Fire" - I pictures a Rocky-type scene where I'm bouncing around on both feet, hands in the air, ready to write magical works that launch me into being a bestselling author.

The actuality of this book, however, was somewhat disappointing. The writing itself never clicked for me - perhaps it was a preference but I just didn't enjoy the author's style of storytelling. I also felt like
Tai Harris
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Pen On Fire: a busy womans guide to igniting the writer within is a great reference book for aspiring writers and for busy writers who feel they lack adequate time to write. I picked this book up because my life became very hectic and I thought it could help in getting me back into writing by showing how to fit in time to write. Barrett offers great insight on how manage your time and busy schedule to incorporate a few minutes of writing each day. The chapter trusting fear is a chapter that ...more
Cathy
Nov 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent book for women writers everywhere. Who doesn't need help learning how to do any task in a short amount of time? We all lead full and busy lives especialy in today's fast paced society where we have become so accustomed to everything (literally) at the touch of a button. Barabara Demarco-Bennett's novel Pen on Fire eloquently and succintly teaches writers how to hone their craft in the shortest amounts of time possible. Written in seven parts divided by topics such as craft, ...more
Jessica Snell
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, writing
I just finished this (quite enjoyed it, too!), and while I'd like to go back and take a closer look at some of the exercises, I first wanted to jot down a couple of quotations from it that I particularly liked:

"Good first lines hook the reader. They also hook the writer."

So true! Get a first line intriguing enough, and you can't help but write the rest.

And I appreciated this, an excerpt from an interview with Jodi Picoult:

"When I write, I never feel particularly creative. Instead, I see a
Karen
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
Fabulous advice. Helpful writing exercises. Encouragement. A reminder that we don't have to have huge chunks of time or a retreat in order to write.

(One quibble: there is nothing in this book that wouldn't also apply to a man, but I guess that's not how they wanted to market it. Men might want to wrap the cover in brown paper and read without shame. Or you could always say you were just holding it for your wife.)

Recommended for: those who want to write, those who are writing but need more
Susan Wyler
This book lends comfort to those struggling to write, through helpful reminders and tasks, and lots of quotes from accomplished modern writers who share their own frustrations. I advocate writing for writing's sake, believe that everyone would benefit from keeping a journal, but I don't think most people who want to write a book are called to be writers.
If you can live without writing, maybe it's better to do that. I worry that we're inclined toward mediocrity, with so much written, everything
Jenny Mckeel
Sep 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
My mother gave me this book a few years ago, as kind of a creative writing self-help how-to book. It wasn't great, and is geared for people who are trying to get started with creative writing and trying to fit it around an already full life, which isn't my situation. But I actually got a lot out of it. The last half of the book has a lot of good pep-talk wisdom about coping with rejection, sticking with writing projects for the long haul, and that sort of thing. There were also some exercises ...more
Sidra
Aug 26, 2011 rated it liked it
First, I need to say, I am not the demographic for which this book was written, so take my review with a grain of salt. I thought the first part of the book was slow and nothing too unique about it, but towards the middle I enjoyed the chapters and felt there were many good prompts and suggestions. It slowed down again for me at the end. I do like the author's writing style so I'll probably pick up a few of her other titles.
LittleBookDruid
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Although it is named and mostly written for women, the one with family responbilities, this book is suitable must read for every writer.
Filled with clear and concise, fun and engaging chapters, and creativity booster exercises. This book is helpful for all kinds of writer, even the nonfiction ones.
Beth Lind
Oct 03, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. It had some good advice within the pages -- but not a lot that really applied specifically for women. Most of the advice was just about getting into the habit of writing (which is apparently harder for me than I'd like to admit). Overall, a good pep talk with lots of writing prompts that seem good.
Dee
Jan 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
If you've always wanted to write, but never felt you had the time, this is the book for you. Every two or three pages, the author, Barbara DeMarco Barrett, gives the reader exercises to inspire writing and build craft.
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another writing memoir, but with exercises to try, so probably a little more heavy-handed than the Shapiro and Patchett books. Loaned to me by a co-worker, so I also had the opportunity to read her marginalia right along with the author's views.
Robin
Aug 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
There are some really fun creative writing exercises in this book. I liked the way every chapter ended with a writing exercise. I didn't get through the whole book before it was due back to the library though.
Allison
Nov 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Want to get inspired to pick up your pen and let the words flow? Read this book.

• Aspects of the Novel
  • The Green New Deal: Why the Fossil Fuel Civilization Will Collapse by 2028, and the Bold Economic Plan to Save Life on Earth
  • Following Atticus: Forty-Eight High Peaks, One Little Dog, and an Extraordinary Friendship
  • The Art of Memoir
  • Still Writing: The Perils and Pleasures of a Creative Life
  • The Truth about Leadership: The No-Fads, Heart-Of-The-Matter Facts You Need to Know
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • Neighborhood Knight
  • Pride, Prejudice, and Other Flavors
  • How to Make Friends with the Dark
  • Childhood Unbound: Saving Our Kids' Best Selves--Confident Parenting in a World of Change
  • The Only Grant-Writing Book You'll  Ever Need
  • The Magic Words: Writing Great Books for Children and Young Adults
  • The Devil Finds Work
  • More to Life
  • Hope: A Memoir of Survival in Cleveland
  • Mozart in the Jungle: Sex, Drugs, and Classical Music
  • The Five Invitations: Discovering What Death Can Teach Us About Living Fully
I host "Writers on Writing," which airs Wednesdays at 9 a.m. PT on KUCI-FM (www.kuci.org) and streams live. (On iTunes, too, under college radio.) The show is podcast at http://writersonwriting.blogspot.com and penonfire.com. More than 600 shows have been podcast, including goodreads members/authors Cheryl Strayed, Gayle Brandeis, Mary Castillo, Phil Doran and Jim Tomlinson. I teach online through ...more

News & Interviews

With clever detectives, missing jewels, murderous women, daring spies, and more, mysteries and thrillers deliver page-turning delight with ever...