Start by marking “Dragonsong” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

Dragonsong

Rebekah, daughter of Merlin and noblewoman of Albion has been driven to madness by the murder of her lover Vidar. In her torment she bargains with the Prince of Demons to turn her into a dragon. Once transformed, she seeks to take revenge upon her father, Merlin, whom she is fooled into believing is responsible for Vidar’s death.

Behind the subterfuge stands Oberon, Captain
Published April 28th 2016 by Matador Books

To ask other readers questions about Dragonsong, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragonsong

Asterios Thanos
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first took this book on my hands I found it a little strange that it was written in rhyme. Page by page I got to understand that this was what made it so unique. It would well could be a medieval ballad. Very well written, it makes your mind travel to another place and time. I'm sure that all fantasy readers, all people fascinating by medieval times will find this book an excellent addition to their readings. Dragons, elves, love and treachery, the good and the evil, all exists here. Defi ...more
Shira
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great!
Chimene
An accidental find in a Glastonbury book shop... with the cover instantly grabbing my full attention... a dragon story? Yes please :)

I was very quick to discover that this story was so, so much more.

When I first started reading, I thought I wouldn't be able to settle into the verse like style of writing but the pace came together quickly. And I thoroughly enjoyed the style and pattern of language.

The story explores love, jealousy, magic and the concepts of good and evil. Who are you rooting for?
Breakaway Reviewers
Absolutely beautiful book

I loved this book. It is a tale of wizards, demons, dragons, elves, love and treachery set around the Arthurian court but written in rhyme.

I have not read any poetic literature for over 40 years since studying Beowulf and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight at university so this book intrigued me. I am full of admiration for anyone who can write beautiful poetry but when they can also tell a story at the same time I find that quite remarkable.

It is about the battle between
Ari
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Interesting story—but I did not like the format. Although that’s on me and my personal preferences, because in and of itself the story flows beautifully.

This reads like an epic tale, rife with sadness and the shadow of what pain, selfishness and evil can wreak on living beings.

I found interesting the elements of mythology, religion and folklore that were entwined here and how the author expanded and incorporated it with the story. It was
Emma Hewitt
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dragonsong

The writer has written a very powerful book through the oldest style that of the Druidic tales of king Arthur. I have always had a passion for the Celtic ways of storytelling and the old tales of dragons, it is a book that my eleven-year-old has enjoyed and regularly likes to read. It is a book attractive to any reader whether you are five or eighty-eight, I would and have been advising this book to my friends. The words wove from the page into the mind of myself and my daughter and c
Rochelle
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have
Sad, lyrical, bittersweet and beautiful! Full review to come.
Thomas
General Overview
A short an interesting read. Would recommend for those interested into delving into a different type of fantasy, or simply poetry.

Style
Dragonsong by Michael Forester is a book of poetry. I have never read a book of poetry before, and I am pleased to say this was a pleasant first time for me. The prose were well formed, and really brought a different light to the magical world of Albion that Michael laid forth for us all.

There was a great sense of the classics about this read. Wit
Julie
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Hail, Oberon –defend me now! For thou art my dear chosen one this evil must thou not allow! Thy silence doth thy father now amaze!"

A tale of dragons and ancient times, with elves and humans in strife.

Oberon, Captain-King of Elves, covets a maiden in Albion, but she (is protected and ) only wants to take up and fulfil her inherited duties. In his rage at his rejection Oberon determines to revenge himself on her and Albion.

Later in the book, on taking up her duties Rebekah finds her true love, w
Rida Rehman
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a surprisingly good epic poem. It will be a delight to anyone who likes Iliad. However it is much easier than reading and understanding the Iliad.

Centuries ago, when land was divided into 4 domains, 3 for humans and 1 for elves, the Elf Oberon falls in love with Bekah who rejects his love. Oberon develops a great hatred for human kind and seeks to destroy it.
A random pick from my library turned out to be unexpectedly good. I am so happy that I found a little hidden gem.
Glynis Hamlett
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
What a surprise I had when I discovered it was written in prose.
Doddle!! Thought I- 20 lines per page I’ll have this one read in no time.
Not so as I had not read prose in a long time.
I have finally finished and it was a great read. Would give it 3.5 if I could.
Janet
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DRAGONSONG is an epic fantasy novel in verse, a masterpiece by Michael Forester, the poet writer of If It Wasn’t for That Dog, The Goblin Child and other stories, Forest Rain and A Home for Other Gods as well as various Chapbooks on Love, Light, Peace and Forest Meditation. Michael Forester brings to mind, a Shakespeare of the modern world, a Shakespeare come alive!

Dragonsong has a touch of Shakespeare in it with the author’s use of elves (who will ever forget Oberon?), dragons, Norse gods and
Joanne
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure - I won this book from Goodreads for an honest review. Thank you Goodreads.

Now to the review. Michael Forester has done an incredible job of researching mythology and legendary literature. He has woven a story that includes Oberon, king of the fairies (see French literature for more on him), Merlin, and dragons amongst others. It is a complex, well woven story told in verse. Yes you read correctly - verse. Normally that would have put me off but I found the language lyrical and f
H
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a good book. I got this book from Goodreads giveaway. Thank you so much Michael Forester.
Caroline
Jonathan
Mar 05, 2017
Mary Grace
Feb 23, 2017
Making Connections: 4265. - DRAGONSONG by Michael Forester 4 21 Mar 28, 2016 02:12PM
  • The Beach Hut
  • Corrag
  • Necromancer
  • Second Spring
  • Complications
  • Assassin's Quest (Veiled Dagger, #1)
  • The Tree of Souls
  • The Hunter's Companion (Familiars, #1)
  • The Bone Whisperer
  • Firestorm (The Sword of Light Trilogy #2)
Some are born with silver spoons in their mouths. Michael Forester was born with a pen in his hand.

Of course, it was immediately pinched by his big brother who put it on a shelf too high for him to reach. He got his own back though. He nicked his brother’s abacus and hid behind the sofa with it. Thus his accountancy and entrepreneurial career was born, but always clouded by a nagging suspicion tha