Start by marking “Protector” as Want to Read:
Protector

Protector

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  1,009 Ratings  ·  177 Reviews
Alternate cover edition for ASIN B01MG7S9XB
For other cover editions go here and here

A Stand Alone Suspense Romance

I’ve always been a hunter, ruthless to the core. I don’t take prisoners and I show no mercy.

Then my best friend and his family are taken. Only one member of his family survives the assault. Riley.

Her wounded eyes beg me to keep her safe, but she’s only a
Published November 2nd 2016 by MA Horst (first published October 3rd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Protector, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Protector

KAT ♕ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books ♕
Image and video hosting by TinyPicTITLE: Protector
AUTHOR: Michelle Horst
GENRE: A Stand Alone Suspense Romance.
CHAPTERS: Prologue | 34
RELEASE DATE: 02nd October, 2016

I Cray Cray love this author so when I saw this zipping around on my FB feed I had to chase it down..
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

PROTECTOR: * I'm going to try and make this review as spoiler free as I possibly can *

So I started this late last night not really knowing what to expect, not reading the synopsis and just going in blind because come on folks it's Michelle Horst!!
So the first
Jen
This book started off pretty darn intense, and it hooked me right away..As the story progressed though, I found that it dragged on for a large portion. Then I would get another intense moment, only to have it continue to drag on after that. I did enjoy the story, however I would have loved it more if the intensity had of continued for a larger portion of the book!
Another huge bone to pick came towards the almost ending..I was not happy with one of the characters choices they made, and it really
Snow
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing

4.75 "You're my northern star" stars

Riley Woods is a 24 year old carefree and vibrant young woman, cherished, loved, protected by her family.
I'm always polite and hardworking, I always smile. I'm the funny one, the shoulder everyone can lean on. I'm the heart of the family...everyone's little girl.

And she's been spending the last three years touring around the world, breathing with full lungs, experiencing the life...but little did she know...
I never knew how selfish I was until my life w
Jamie ♡♡ submits to books ♡♡
***** 5 "I'll Always Be Right Behind You" Stars *****

Oh this book was SO DAMN GOOD!!

Riley Woods has the dream life. Loving and supportive family. The ability to travel around the world to do the things she wants and help the people she wants. Coming home from her latest travel, Riley is ready for good family time with her brothers and parents.

"I'm the heart of the family...everyone's little girl."

Until her worst nightmare and nightmare not even a possibility is played out in front of her ey
Katie
4.5 'nothing is for keeps in this life' stars

First off, OMG that beginning left me DEVASTATED! I was literally in shock and had to compose myself in order to keep reading.
description

What the heroine has to endure is just heartbreaking and you feel this emotional pull towards her from page one. I also loved the hero, Griffin. But it wasn't after I was finally able to look past the fact that my dogs name is Griffin, that I was truly able to completely swoon over him.

Overall, I loved this book. I loved the r
Astha
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dark-romance
Wow the book is super dark but some part of this book are nightmare .I don't understand how come romance can actually develop in these circumstances but over all this book is very addicting.

In short this book is about a girl who had a loving family and a dream come true life which was turned into a nightmare.This book is actually a dark romance book .

Nancy❤The❤Bookaholic

~~4 stars~~

Another fantastic book by Michelle Horst

After reading Predator I realized I found another author to stalk. Well Ms Horst did not disappoint in the Protector. I could not imagine going through all that the MC went through and surviving. I never felt a loss in connection with the characters. I loved that the heroine was a strong character. And the love she had for her family was admirable. I think the author did a great job by picking a strong hero for the heroine. They worked great tog
Libby Harrison

Beware of Spoilers!

Star Ratings:
Heroine (Riley): 24yrs old
Hero (Griffin): 35yrs old?
Plot: 3/5
Grovel: not enough
Cheating: none
HEA: yes with pregnancy
Triggers: torture of h (not rape and not by H)

Average score: 3/5

Best Line: “Winter is coming” – it had to be this line because…

Worst Line: “I can’t survive this.”

Personal Review:
This was a loss-filled romance with an extra dose of death. I would say 80% of this story was about death and the rest was their roman
KA Graham
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Protector by Michelle Horst
***5 stars***

Michelle Horst ripped my heart out and held it in her hands with Riley's story. It's the epitome of tragic yet beautiful. Showing that this world is full of cruel and unjust ways, and finding the strength to fight and persevere through the madness.

What would you do if you had your whole life and everyone you loved swiftly taken away from you? Riley now has to live that nightmare, with the realization that she is completely alone in life. How did this happ
Dani
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
WOW! This was my first delve into Michelle's writing and I am utterly blown away. This story is at times difficult to read, and if you have any triggers, please be wary.

Riley and Griffin's story had me on the edge of my seat. Our female lead, Riley, has everything taken from her, the world she knew is shattered in a matter of moments and the heartbreak she endures pours off the page as you keep reading.

But when Griffin walks into her life to keep his promise to his best friend, Josh, who happe
TheBibliotheque
Rating: 3.5/5

Wendy Fisher
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gutted, absolutely gutted! What a read! Riley had it all and one day it is all ripped from her. She wakes up in an unfamiliar place and just wants to die. What is there to live for? Griffin finally pulls his head out of his butt and confronts her in the safe house. Can Riley handle the truth? How will she react? Can she continue on? Is he her protector? Can she handle any more devastation? Has she chosen the right path? As gutted as this book made me, I absolutely loved it. I definitely needed t ...more
Jessica Viteri
Sometimes life just gets to break us
and there's nothing we can do about it.

photo Protector2.jpg

photo Protector1.jpg
1-Click Addict Support Group
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
This author has been on my radar since I read Predator, and I couldn't jump on this book fast enough! Protector was absolutely outstanding. It was a slow-burn romantic suspense novel that had a bit of everything: suspense, action, friendship, romance, steamy chemistry and love.

After witnessing the murder of her family, our heroine Riley comes to be under the protection of her older brother's team leader/best friend, Griffin. She is dealing with an unbearable amount of grief and with it, the real
Sophie
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When Michelle announced that she was writing a book to follow Predator I wondered how she would actually top it, how she would impact bigger than she had before.
After reading Protector I can safely say that Michelle has blown Predator out the water.

Michelle starts off Protector in a way that makes you feel good, easy connectable characters are introduced and Michelle lays out their backgrounds well. Then. Well then she RIPS THE WORLD AWAY! Like she literally pulls everything out, blasts you wi
Jillian
This book was so emotional. It was gut wrenching and heart breaking. It was devastating. It was also a really good story. The dog, Charlie, got me through it. There were some missing pieces and unanswered questions (of my own) that deducted from the believability (even with a work of fiction) but there were also some very realistic things that were well executed (pardon the pun) for bringing it all together.
Seriously though, holy fuck, what a fucked up beginning to this story. Traumatic.
French Press Bookworm Blog
⭐⭐⭐⭐ 1/2 stars

This was awesome. What I love most about this author is she takes broken characters and gives them strength in a way that is so real and raw. I love the emotions that went along with these two falling in love. What was a horrible and gruesome experience have way to something healing and sweet. Absolutely fantastic!
Lindsey (Linz Readz)
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, arc
This book was nothing like I expected but definitely everything I needed. While I couldn’t give it a complete 5 stars it was still amazing and I connected with it in so many ways. Just when you think Michelle is done breaking your heart, she rips it out and destroys it all over again, and again, and again.

We start out with Riley coming home to her family after traveling in other countries. All of a sudden her life is changed completely when her family is savagely and cruelly taken away from her.
Kimberly
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 I wish I could give it 10 stars.

This book grabbed me by the throat and didn't let me go, even after I finished it. Riley's seemingly perfect life implodes in the worst possible way. When the dust settles and as she comes to terms with what happened, she finds a strength she never knew she had. With the help of her new friends and her brothers best friend Griffin, Riley slowly starts down the road to recovery and understanding. But, life isn't done with her yet.

There are so many twist, turns a
Kathy Rouchelle
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I find it kind of hard to put into words how I feel about this book. Is it an amazing read? Most definitely. Are the characters written well? Absolutely. What this book does is give you the "feel goods" right out of the gate, then it rips out your soul. It plunges you into the depths of despair and slowly, painfully brings you back to the surface only to push you right back down into the darkness. Then of course it slowly brings you back again, only to let you free fall, tumbling head over heels ...more
Katie
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5 - 3 Stars
The blurb sounded promising but the story was just okay. There was too much introspection among the characters and the chemistry was weak. The suspense was very tame and predictable.
nd ♥ kitten ♥
More reviews at Li'l Kit’s Reviews.

Writing: ★★★
Story: ★★★
Characters: ★★

Overall rating: 2.6

This book was just "Okay" for me too... nothing special, and for me it was a bit of a forced read... i had to force myself to keep turning the pages, forced myself to try to stay in the story, force myself to like the main characters...

It wasn't bad, just okay.
 Joyce
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brutal Bloody read.

Head the warnings. If you don't like blood and guts then this read is not for you.

This was just an ok read for me.
EpicRomanceReviews
4.5. Resplendent Riley-Stars!!

"YOUR LIGHT SHINES BRIGHTER THAN A THOUSAND SUNS. IT’S THE ONLY LIGHT THAT CAN PENETRATE THIS DARKNESS I’M FROZEN IN.”

I am still reeling from the aftershocks of PROTECTOR, a dark, gritty romantic suspense novel that was absolutely mind-blowing! Michelle Horst is a new author to me but her talent for penning a nail-biting, EMOTIONALLY RIVETING page turner is truly remarkable!

However, fair warning: The opening scenes are not for the faint at heart and the chain of ev
S a r a
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The storyline was good, it was an emotional read but the message inside this book is better, it teaches you to
¥ appreciate everyone around you right now because within the next minute they could be gone.
¥ Everything will be okay, you’ll get through the hard times even though it seems like you’re dying right now.
¥ If you’re feeling down, grab a book to read because books are like a cure.
Debbie Guzak
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emotional

Family, love, loss, devastation, anger, lust and then a future. This is what Riley and Griffin experience together in this story. I laughter, I cried and I melted while I read this book. It kept me on the edge of my seat, it made me mad and it made me smile. I wanted to read more.
Shannon Youngblood
Shelves: blog-books, military
**5 Bad Ass Bitch Stars***
**4 Can't See Straight Orgasms**
 photo 5 Buttons_zpsu895julz.jpg  photo 4 Orgasm Button_zpslila3vr1.jpg

Such an amazing quick read! So, my plan this evening was to start this book, and then finish it at some point tomorrow..... yeah that didn't happen...I started it, and then was sucked in like a damn vortex to another dimension!

Riley, poor fucking Riley.... I can't even BEGIN to act like I knew what she is going through, throughout the ENTIRE BOOK. And Griffin, not much better. The sense of loss is so strong, but the connection between
Morgan Terry
Shelves: michelle-horst
This is by far the hardest and easiest review I’ve ever had to write. Why you may ask? Protector provoked so many different emotions in me – happy ones, sad ones, angry ones – emotions that have impacted and affected me for weeks. Emotions that drove me to read the book three times in less than two weeks. Michelle has outdone herself beyond anything I ever expected and Protector has definitely proven that what you think you might know in an author is never really the case. Ugly cry is such a pla ...more
Michelle Brace (Wicked Babes Blog Reviews)
I fell in love with Michelle's work since Saved by Her and I can honestly say that I am so thrilled that I read Protector. I missed Predator somehow (can someone slap me please?) but I didn't feel lost at all in this book so don't let that keep you from reading this wonderful book. This book is about two people who have suffered so much lost, their journey through their grief, guilt, and anger, and finding love on their journey.

"Death is emptiness- a hollow emptiness that shines a bright blindin
Tiffany Readz
Action, Suspense, oh and Romance as Well!

Talk about a little book that packs a big punch! This is my first Michelle Horst book and if her others are like it, won't be my last. It wasn't anything I expected and left me pleasantly surprised. Plus, it was the perfect length, which always earns high marks in my book.

"Karma, now there's a peculiar thing. I never knew how selfish I was until my life was ripped away from me."

And that's how the book starts folks. The first few chapters are agonizing and
Bargain Basement: $100/$50/$25 Amazon Gift Card 1 9 Nov 02, 2016 03:08PM
Michelle Heard is a Bestselling Romance Author who loves creating stories her readers can get lost in. She loves an alpha hero who is not afraid to fight for his woman.

Want to be up to date with what’s happening in Michelle’s world? Sign up to receive the latest news on her alpha hero releases, sales, and great giveaways → http://eepurl.com/cUXM_P

Social Links:

Newsletter: http://eepurl.com/cUXM_P

Am
More about Michelle Horst

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cowboy Bold (Longhorn Canyon, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Love Letter
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Provocative (White Lies Duet, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be